Rambo Gameplay Trailer Evokes Memories Of a Different Era

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
What's really making me laugh is that, in the 'First Blood' part when he's gunning down the various Deputies, for anyone who has actually seen "First Blood", you'd know that one of the ironic aspects of the film is that Rambo doesn't purposefully kill anyone.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
Think about this, not only is it part of a cutscene, that is footage SPECIFICALLY SELECTED to be in a trailer. These people think that chopper is worthy enough to show how GREAT this game is. Think about the crap that they AREN'T showing you.
Or a slightly different spin: if this is the best they could scrape up, imagine how bad it must be.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Ihateregistering1 said:
What's really making me laugh is that, in the 'First Blood' part when he's gunning down the various Deputies, for anyone who has actually seen "First Blood", you'd know that one of the ironic aspects of the film is that Rambo doesn't purposefully kill anyone.
I think there is one death, and it was a guy falling out of a helicopter and it was the guy's own fault.
Red X said:
This is the only Rambo you need :p

I am sorry to save, but that looks a LOT better than this. :/

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ihateregistering1 said:
This is the video game biz. Everything is turned into a shooter. A game about Martin Luther King would have him strafing Sheriffs down the streets of towns in Alabama, an AK-47 in each hand while clips of his speech echoed "free at last...."

Not G. Ivingname said:
I am sorry to save, but that looks a LOT better than this. :/
At least he gets to fight...Aliens?

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Not G. Ivingname said:
Ihateregistering1 said:
I think there is one death, and it was a guy falling out of a helicopter and it was the guy's own fault.
Like I said, he doesn't kill anyone on purpose, but it's ironic because we think of Rambo as being the stereotypical 80's action hero who somehow kills 600 bad guys single-handedly in each movie, but in the first film he kills MAYBE 1 person.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
shogunblade said:
I'm in the same camp, wasn't First Blood more about the wars of Vietnam and a guy who couldn't let it go, so a game is made to bring all that back, thereby missing the whole damn point of that movie?
Yeah, the game is definitely more in line with the sequels than with First Blood, which was also fundamentally different than the sequels: Lots of action, lots of violence, but it was really more of a protest movie about the fundamentally shitty treatment given to Vietnam vets throughout the 70s and 80s. It's a message that's easily lost amidst all the sound and fury (and buried by the sequels) but as others have pointed out, Rambo really didn't kill anyone in the first movie - he lashed out against a system that simultaneously rejected and oppressed him but he wasn't a murderous character.

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
I have never seen the first Rambo movie, but it seems a bit off that he is mowing down police men with a machine gun. Wasn't the movie more like some kind of Drama?
The rest of the trailer looks like some kind of parody, reminds me more of "Hot Shots Part Deux" or this one scene from UHF. This game is meant to be serious, not a parody, or am I wrong?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
So ten quid after a week then?
fractal_butterfly said:
I have never seen the first Rambo movie, but it seems a bit off that he is mowing down police men with a machine gun. Wasn't the movie more like some kind of Drama?
your quite right, it was all about how the veterans were treated badly when they returned after the war. He killed one person, and that wasn't a deliberate murder. In the original script Rambo committed suicide at the end.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Looks like a cross between Duke Nukem and Ride to hell or a really bad mod of Far Cry's engine.