Rambo The Video Game Unleashes the Best Trailer Yet

SonOfVoorhees

New member
Aug 3, 2011
3,509
0
0
What a piece of crap. My only hope is that it is so bad that its just plain funny to play. Maybe this will be akin to the DieHard Trilogy game where each film had a separate game style.
 

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
9,909
0
0
What gets me is not only how terrible this looks, and really it does look terrible, almost like someone is making a joke but isn't as talented as our most infamous "Fallout 4" troll.... but how it also misses the entire point of Rambo.

See, in most people's mind Rambo epitomizes the over the top 80s action hero, and indeed some material involving the character like his cartoon show (yes he had one) empathizes this, but really that is not what Rambo was ever about, and truthfully it seems like most people who mention the character have never actually seen the movies involving him.

The first movie involving Rambo was called "First Blood" and it was about the plight of our Vietnam vets and how badly they were treated by both the establishment and the people, largely fueled by all those 60s liberals that people want to speak the world of now. The story was about how Rambo couldn't settle anywhere after the war because everyone hated him as a former soldier and "babykiller" so he was forced to become a wanderer. Eventually he winds up in some boondocks town where he's victimized, including by law enforcement (the main "bad guy" is arguably the town sheriff), and decides "[email protected] it" and decides to just flat out cut loose on the people who were treating him like crap, using all of
the stuff he learned in 'Nam to pretty much wreck havoc with his tormentors. A sort of ultimate "payback on the bullies" type story. Of course in the scope of a society what he's doing is wrong, and ultimately when the town can't deal with the hell it unleashed upon itself the military is called in to try and deal with this guy, and a good part of it is actually the drama about Rambo's former commander talking him down, and the whole "OMG, this guy was a real hero, we owe veterans like this so much, how could they treat him like this".

To be brutally honest with you, I think Rambo is more influential than most people give it credit for, not so much because of the action but because of the way it addressed the situation of our veterans being mistreated, and it probably helped create the current situation where vets are treated much better even by the "peace at any price" elements in the left wing. Even hard core liberals are careful nowadays not to want to disrespect the military because of points movies like this made and brought into public awareness.

The SECOND Rambo movie, which is just "Rambo" actually had more action in it, but was another story about veterans, the point of the entire thing being about all the guys who fought for us who were left behind as POWs in Vietnam. The point of the movie being that they sent Rambo in to find evidence (which caused him to freak out when he found it), but were also not being honest about their reasons for sending him there to begin with. A big part of the point of this movie being how the government basically betrayed it's troops (not just the people) and also betrayed Rambo again.

Now the later movies starting with "Rambo III" were more along the line of straightforward action fare, and where the criticisms (and things like that game) are more accurate.

In theory you could do a Rambo prequel (which I am guessing this might be) but honestly that would be a touchy subject and not something that would be able to convey it's point as a video game. Going with the spirit of the first movies it would be unpopular because it wouldn't give the whole popular message about Veitnam that a lot of people nowadays like to hear. The point of Rambo would be to use the character to show the failings of the government in dealing with it's troops and the hypocritical foolishness of the left wing civilian population (especially then, remember this is when you had hippies jumping all over our troops). A situation where people were being fed into a meat grinder, dying left and right, without ever being allowed to try and seriously fight the war. It would probably use images like GIs being blown to pieces and their comrades being told not to pursue beyond the lines to take out the people that did it, while at the same time people back home are cheering for celebrities like Jane Fonda making nice with the enemy the soldiers are fighting at behest of their country. It would probably end with something like the Tet offensive, where massive damage is done but the US military still holds, and rather than a counter offensive the government decides to cut and run, leaving behind all of the prisoners that had been captured, and making all of the death and suffering for nothing, which if of course even worse when these guys get home... and well... being a prequel you know the next story is "First Blood" which I summarized above.
 

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
9,909
0
0
SonOfVoorhees said:
What a piece of crap. My only hope is that it is so bad that its just plain funny to play. Maybe this will be akin to the DieHard Trilogy game where each film had a separate game style.

If this is the game I'm thinking of, I seem to remember that the game was actually something else, but they released it as "Die Hard" in the US (where it became fairly popular for a while, at least the version in arcades) despite having nothing in the game that was remotely like Die Hard.

A police based brawler game with guns, right? :)
 

SonOfVoorhees

New member
Aug 3, 2011
3,509
0
0
Therumancer said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
What a piece of crap. My only hope is that it is so bad that its just plain funny to play. Maybe this will be akin to the DieHard Trilogy game where each film had a separate game style.

If this is the game I'm thinking of, I seem to remember that the game was actually something else, but they released it as "Die Hard" in the US (where it became fairly popular for a while, at least the version in arcades) despite having nothing in the game that was remotely like Die Hard.

A police based brawler game with guns, right? :)
It was a PS1 game.
Diehard 1 was a 3rd person game.
Diehard 2 was an onrails shooter.
Diehard 3 was a driving game.

Was a lot of fun from what i remember. :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Hard_Trilogy
 

Do4600

New member
Oct 16, 2007
934
0
0
All of the shooting looks like a lightgun game, he's just standing there pointing the gun at different things, but the fov isn't moving, I really wonder how that mechanic is going to work.
 

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
570
0
0
This is a game that will um I have no idea where I was going or what i was going to say... this game burns my mind as the trailer looks rubbish graphically but somehow fun, but hell knows as its vague macho gibberish and heck i may buy it in the name of disposable income and mental illness.
 
Sep 14, 2009
9,073
0
0
josemlopes said:
rhizhim said:
AnthrSolidSnake said:
My favorite part about this trailer is that is told me absolutely NOTHING about the game.

Is it a third person shooter? A first person shooter?

Is it open world?

Is it completely linear?

Why exactly should I even be paying attention to this?

There is SO much mystery behind it, I think I'll honestly follow the games production just to see what it all ends to.
there is no place for logic when you are that manly!

its rambo.

BLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!
http://www.badgirlzwrite.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/rambo.gif
Very offtopic but that pinky isnt manly at all
oh god...now that you pointed it out, I laughed way too hard at it and I CAN'T STOP SEEING IT. THAT PINKY FINGERRRR.

OT: this trailer is so horribly cheesy that it is actually...intriguing. I might follow it just to see how bad of a train wreck it is.
 

BloodRed Pixel

New member
Jul 16, 2009
630
0
0
QTE-Alarm QTE-Alarm QTE-Alarm!!! Oh man. no gameplay at all in this trailer and every halfway action scene has QTE written all over it. I guess you will allowed to stealth sneak the corridors between the QTEs then you stand in a boring Machinegun-Invader-Style Sequence that end in a cinematic scene and of course the checkpoints are BEFORE the cinematics.

either they are making fun of themselves or we are in for a bad ride to hell (sorry couldn't let this one slip).

EDIT:
OH Holy Cow, I hate it so much when I am right:
http://www.rambothevideogame.com/#!game-play/cxov
 

Stryc9

New member
Nov 12, 2008
1,294
0
0
I would buy this for like $5 just because it looks seriously hilarious to play. Rambo deserves better than this, preferably to be left alone without a videogame adaptation but if they did have to do one it should be better than this.
 

C117

New member
Aug 14, 2009
1,331
0
0
Therumancer said:
What gets me is not only how terrible this looks, and really it does look terrible, almost like someone is making a joke but isn't as talented as our most infamous "Fallout 4" troll.... but how it also misses the entire point of Rambo.

See, in most people's mind Rambo epitomizes the over the top 80s action hero, and indeed some material involving the character like his cartoon show (yes he had one) empathizes this, but really that is not what Rambo was ever about, and truthfully it seems like most people who mention the character have never actually seen the movies involving him.

The first movie involving Rambo was called "First Blood" and it was about the plight of our Vietnam vets and how badly they were treated by both the establishment and the people, largely fueled by all those 60s liberals that people want to speak the world of now. The story was about how Rambo couldn't settle anywhere after the war because everyone hated him as a former soldier and "babykiller" so he was forced to become a wanderer. Eventually he winds up in some boondocks town where he's victimized, including by law enforcement (the main "bad guy" is arguably the town sheriff), and decides "[email protected] it" and decides to just flat out cut loose on the people who were treating him like crap, using all of
the stuff he learned in 'Nam to pretty much wreck havoc with his tormentors. A sort of ultimate "payback on the bullies" type story. Of course in the scope of a society what he's doing is wrong, and ultimately when the town can't deal with the hell it unleashed upon itself the military is called in to try and deal with this guy, and a good part of it is actually the drama about Rambo's former commander talking him down, and the whole "OMG, this guy was a real hero, we owe veterans like this so much, how could they treat him like this".

To be brutally honest with you, I think Rambo is more influential than most people give it credit for, not so much because of the action but because of the way it addressed the situation of our veterans being mistreated, and it probably helped create the current situation where vets are treated much better even by the "peace at any price" elements in the left wing. Even hard core liberals are careful nowadays not to want to disrespect the military because of points movies like this made and brought into public awareness.

The SECOND Rambo movie, which is just "Rambo" actually had more action in it, but was another story about veterans, the point of the entire thing being about all the guys who fought for us who were left behind as POWs in Vietnam. The point of the movie being that they sent Rambo in to find evidence (which caused him to freak out when he found it), but were also not being honest about their reasons for sending him there to begin with. A big part of the point of this movie being how the government basically betrayed it's troops (not just the people) and also betrayed Rambo again.

Now the later movies starting with "Rambo III" were more along the line of straightforward action fare, and where the criticisms (and things like that game) are more accurate.

In theory you could do a Rambo prequel (which I am guessing this might be) but honestly that would be a touchy subject and not something that would be able to convey it's point as a video game. Going with the spirit of the first movies it would be unpopular because it wouldn't give the whole popular message about Veitnam that a lot of people nowadays like to hear. The point of Rambo would be to use the character to show the failings of the government in dealing with it's troops and the hypocritical foolishness of the left wing civilian population (especially then, remember this is when you had hippies jumping all over our troops). A situation where people were being fed into a meat grinder, dying left and right, without ever being allowed to try and seriously fight the war. It would probably use images like GIs being blown to pieces and their comrades being told not to pursue beyond the lines to take out the people that did it, while at the same time people back home are cheering for celebrities like Jane Fonda making nice with the enemy the soldiers are fighting at behest of their country. It would probably end with something like the Tet offensive, where massive damage is done but the US military still holds, and rather than a counter offensive the government decides to cut and run, leaving behind all of the prisoners that had been captured, and making all of the death and suffering for nothing, which if of course even worse when these guys get home... and well... being a prequel you know the next story is "First Blood" which I summarized above.
This. Granted, I've only actually seen the first movie, but people always seems to forget that movie even exists, so I guess it balances out. And people also seem to forget that in the first movie, Rambo isn't some sort of unstoppable badass that mows down hundreds of people with a machinegun while getting out relatively fine. He kills three dogs and one guy in the entire movie (the killing of the guy is even an accident, not really his fault), he uses a machinegun but only in the last 20 minutes or so of the movie (still doesn't kill anyone), there is one rather uncomfortable scene early in the movie where he patches himself up after falling about 10 meters into a spruce, and the whole thing ends with him breaking down mentally at how his entire life has turned to hell since he went to Vietnam, both because people at home hate him for being a soldier and because all of his friends got killed in the war (Delmar Berry technically survived the war, but he died anyway thanks to Agent Orange exposure he suffered in Vietnam, so there you go).

Making a game out of that would be less Call of Duty, and more Spec Ops: The Line...
 

Kenjitsuka

New member
Sep 10, 2009
3,051
0
0
Super tip: If your game looks like it was made in 2002, DON'T include a 1080 YouTube option, because that makes it extremely clear just HOW fugly your game is... And clearly you need all the pre-orders you can get.