Rampant Police Brutality and Media censorship in Ferguson Missouri

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Say whatever you want about the police officers, none of this would be happening if angry civilians weren't coming out every night to riot and loot stores, some of them were throwing molotov cocktails at the police and actively provoking them. People acting like this was a peaceful protest before the police got involved should come down here to Ferguson and look first hand at the stores and buildings that have been trashed or burned down by rioters and looters. None of this was done in the name of Micheal brown, it's just become a matter of greed, disregard, and hatred towards authority.

I live only a couple of miles from where this has been happening, it's affecting this community, and the only way it's going to stop is if people either stay home or protest peacefully instead of antagonizing the area. I'm not saying that the police are wholly innocent either, some of the things they've done have escalated anger and conflict as well, but they're not the ones starting the violence each night.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Olas said:
Say whatever you want about the police officers, none of this would be happening if angry civilians weren't coming out every night to riot and loot stores, some of them were throwing molotov cocktails at the police and actively provoking them. People acting like this was a peaceful protest before the police got involved should come down here to Ferguson and look first hand at the stores and buildings that have been trashed or burned down by rioters and looters. None of this was done in the name of Micheal brown, it's just become a matter of greed, disregard, and hatred towards authority.

I live only a couple of miles from where this has been happening, it's affecting this community, and the only way it's going to stop is if people either stay home or protest peacefully instead of antagonizing the area. I'm not saying that the police are wholly innocent either, some of the things they've done have escalated anger and conflict as well, but they're not the ones starting the violence each night.
The police have apparently been hanging back and letting the looting take place, while doing things like firing tear gas at peaceful protestors 3 hours before curfew and again firing tear gas and rubber bullets at the designated press area. Meanwhile peaceful protestors have been left to stand in front of businesses to stop the looters. Many of whom are apparently out of town opportunists.

I don't doubt that some protestors from Ferguson itself have turned violent, but the police clearly started this by firing tear gas and rubber bullets at peaceful protestors for a week.

Austin Manning

Apr 10, 2012
DrOswald said:
In any case, my point remains: Unarmed melee is a case of lethal force and therefore lethal force is an appropriate response. Less lethal weapons (such as pepper spray, tasers, and batons) are less effective and harder to use. They are not effective enough to be counted on to save a defenders life once the situation has gotten out of control. They can be used as effective deterrents and may prevent a lethal force situation (they maintain control) but they are not a substitute for lethal force in a lethal force situation.
Now, while I know that unarmed melee can be deadly (I wouldn't want to fight a black belt in Karate), I also know what self-defense law is. You may only respond with equal or lesser force when defending yourself from an antagonist. If someone punches you, you're NOT allowed to shoot them and claim "they were using lethal force". The only things you're allowed to do are restrain them, leave the situation, or fight back with your fists without knocking them out/killing them. The only time you're allowed to shoot someone in "self-defense" is if they have a gun and are actively firing on you.

Now this is understandably different for Police Officers (who need to be concerned for the safety of everyone around them), but the point stands that the law does not consider a single punch to be lethal force. Had he instead attempted to subdue Mr. Brown using nonlethal means (which, as a policeman, he's supposed to do), this entire mess could have been avoided.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Austin Manning said:
DrOswald said:
In any case, my point remains: Unarmed melee is a case of lethal force and therefore lethal force is an appropriate response. Less lethal weapons (such as pepper spray, tasers, and batons) are less effective and harder to use. They are not effective enough to be counted on to save a defenders life once the situation has gotten out of control. They can be used as effective deterrents and may prevent a lethal force situation (they maintain control) but they are not a substitute for lethal force in a lethal force situation.
Now, while I know that unarmed melee can be deadly (I wouldn't want to fight a black belt in Karate), I also know what self-defense law is. You may only respond with equal or lesser force when defending yourself from an antagonist. If someone punches you, you're NOT allowed to shoot them and claim "they were using lethal force". The only things you're allowed to do are restrain them, leave the situation, or fight back with your fists without knocking them out/killing them. The only time you're allowed to shoot someone in "self-defense" is if they have a gun and are actively firing on you.

Now this is understandably different for Police Officers (who need to be concerned for the safety of everyone around them), but the point stands that the law does not consider a single punch to be lethal force. Had he instead attempted to subdue Mr. Brown using nonlethal means (which, as a policeman, he's supposed to do), this entire mess could have been avoided.
Actually, most self defense laws in the United States (it can vary state to state) allow the use of lethal force in a case where the individual has a good reason to suspect they are in danger of serious injury or death. A man beating you will cause serious, most likely permanently crippling, injury or death. The law is not that you can only use fists if they use fists, you can only use a knife if they use a knife. The distinction is not what type of weapon is used. The distinction is between lesser force (force unlikely to cause significant injury) and greater force (force likely to cause serious injury or death.) This is one of two reasons George Zimmerman was not convicted of murder when he shot Trayvon Martin. The beating George Zimmerman received was consistent with deadly force. Thus, deadly force was an appropriate response.

You don't need to be a black belt to beat a man to death. You don't need to know karate to cause crippling injuries with a fist or a foot. This is why an unarmed man beating a police officer or anyone else is using lethal force and lethal force is an appropriate response. Because it is force likely to cause serious injury or death.

As far as retreat, I agree. If possible a person should retreat instead of using force. Not always possible. And not always law. This is the second reason George Zimmerman got off, legally he was within his rights to not retreat.

Now, to be absolutely clear, I think in a just world George Zimmerman should have been convicted because of the second point. I think "stand your ground" laws are bullshit and they allowed a racist ass hat to get away with what is practically murder. I am just using the George Zimmerman case as a specific example people are likely to understand and be familiar with.

Nov 28, 2007
Austin Manning said:
DrOswald said:

According to the policeman's account, the victim was also trying to wrestle the gun away from the cop at the time the first shot went off. That does authorize lethal force. Not saying that that is definitely what happened, but just claiming that him being unarmed meant that shooting in any circumstances was not authorized is not the case.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
DrOswald said:
Austin Manning said:
DrOswald said:

Actually, most self defense laws in the United States (it can vary state to state) allow the use of lethal force in a case where the individual has a good reason to suspect they are in danger of serious injury or death. A man beating you will cause serious, most likely permanently crippling, injury or death. The law is not that you can only use fists if they use fists, you can only use a knife if they use a knife. The distinction is not what type of weapon is used. The distinction is between lesser force (force unlikely to cause significant injury) and greater force (force likely to cause serious injury or death.) This is one of two reasons George Zimmerman was not convicted of murder when he shot Trayvon Martin. The beating George Zimmerman received was consistent with deadly force. Thus, deadly force was an appropriate response.

You don't need to be a black belt to beat a man to death. You don't need to know karate to cause crippling injuries with a fist or a foot. This is why an unarmed man beating a police officer or anyone else is using lethal force and lethal force is an appropriate response. Because it is force likely to cause serious injury or death. At the time of his use of force it was pretty well proven he didn't have an option of retreat, so that had nothing to do with it.

As far as retreat, I agree. If possible a person should retreat instead of using force. Not always possible. And not always law. This is the second reason George Zimmerman got off, legally he was within his rights to not retreat.

Now, to be absolutely clear, I think in a just world George Zimmerman should have been convicted because of the second point. I think "stand your ground" laws are bullshit and they allowed a racist ass hat to get away with what is practically murder. I am just using the George Zimmerman case as a specific example people are likely to understand and be familiar with.
The George Zimmerman case defense didn't utilize the stand your ground laws in Florida. It was a standard self defense that prevented the prosecution that getting a conviction of 2nd degree murder.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
th3dark3rsh33p said:
DrOswald said:
Austin Manning said:
DrOswald said:

You don't need to be a black belt to beat a man to death. You don't need to know karate to cause crippling injuries with a fist or a foot. This is why an unarmed man beating a police officer or anyone else is using lethal force and lethal force is an appropriate response. Because it is force likely to cause serious injury or death. At the time of his use of force it was pretty well proven he didn't have an option of retreat, so that had nothing to do with it.

The George Zimmerman case defense didn't utilize the stand your ground laws in Florida. It was a standard self defense that prevented the prosecution that getting a conviction of 2nd degree murder.
I read an article where one of the jurors stated that the stand your ground laws were the specific reason George was not convicted. Maybe I misunderstood.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
An eyewitness has come forward with her story and video of Brown laying in the street with Cops standing by, which they confiscated with her phone. The Police chose not to release her footage even as the released Wilson's name and the alleged footage of Brown in a robbery at the same time.

According to her Wilson tried to get Brown into a car, Brown escaped and ran, Wilson gave chase, pulled his gun and shot Brown in the arm. Then repeatedly shot him when he turned around.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/michael-brown-shooting-witness-releases-video-knew-not-143600436.html

So much for the "he tried to take the gun" story.

Burs

Jan 28, 2011
DrOswald said:
People often talk about an unarmed person as if they represent an easily subdued and incapable of causing serious damage threat and therefore any use of lethal force is brutality. Perhaps I overstated it a bit when I said harmless.

In any case, my last two lines were more about clarifying that I was not taking sides in this issue so I didn't take as much time screening them for exact wording.
In my years of service in the Hants Constabulary, it Portsmouth I had never swung my baton physically at a person,I've done stop procedures (swung it at car windshields) and swung it in the air to tell an aggressive person to back off but never have I swung it at another human being.

I've used my spray and I can tell you if you spray someone, even Royal Marines, and other big hard tough nuts and have three officers throw him to the ground, that person is not a threat.

I spoke to a Armed Response Officer and in his opinion the batons are scarier then the guns and tasers he carried, he had more people trying to fight him when he was carrying his sidearm then he did when he displayed his baton. Maybe psychologically people are more afraid of something they know will hurt (a baton swung at face and arms) then something they think they might not get hurt by (bullet missing, thinking that they are too hard to be sprayed)?

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Beyond what is increasingly looking to have been a straight up murder, here's John Oliver talking sense about the broader problems.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
DrOswald said:
I read an article where one of the jurors stated that the stand your ground laws were the specific reason George was not convicted. Maybe I misunderstood.
Was it anything like this?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/16/3502481/juror-we-talked-stand-your-ground.html

The "Stand Your Ground" laws get brought up in the Zimmerman case because at the beginning of the trial the judge stated to the jury that Zimmerman did not have a duty to retreat and was within his rights to respond with lethal force if he reasonably believed doing so was necessary to defend himself. Basically if it was proven that Zimmerman could have retreated the jury could not fault him for using lethal force since the law says he was within his rights to do so.

Now the article does mention a juror, designated B37, who said that SYG laws did play a part in the non-guilty verdict, but he or she did not elaborate on how or to what extent the SYG laws influenced the verdict. It's puzzling that the juror mentioned it because according to testimonies by Zimmerman and witnesses Martin Trayvon was on top of Zimmerman and had him pinned to the ground thus eliminating retreat as an option.

The defense lawyers didn't use the SYG laws as a defense since they didn't really apply to the case based on what the evidence suggests happened that night.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Burs said:
DrOswald said:
People often talk about an unarmed person as if they represent an easily subdued and incapable of causing serious damage threat and therefore any use of lethal force is brutality. Perhaps I overstated it a bit when I said harmless.

In any case, my last two lines were more about clarifying that I was not taking sides in this issue so I didn't take as much time screening them for exact wording.
In my years of service in the Hants Constabulary, it Portsmouth I had never swung my baton physically at a person,I've done stop procedures (swung it at car windshields) and swung it in the air to tell an aggressive person to back off but never have I swung it at another human being.

I've used my spray and I can tell you if you spray someone, even Royal Marines, and other big hard tough nuts and have three officers throw him to the ground, that person is not a threat.

I spoke to a Armed Response Officer and in his opinion the batons are scarier then the guns and tasers he carried, he had more people trying to fight him when he was carrying his sidearm then he did when he displayed his baton. Maybe psychologically people are more afraid of something they know will hurt (a baton swung at face and arms) then something they think they might not get hurt by (bullet missing, thinking that they are too hard to be sprayed)?
When I say effectiveness I don't mean in the case of a direct hit. Pepper spray to the face will neutralize virtually anyone. But from what I know (described to me by law enforcement I know personally) it is harder to use pepper spray than a gun for a few reasons, including the fact that pepper spray is in a spray can and it requires a hit to the person's face to be effective. A gun puts someone down pretty much no matter where you shoot them.

In terms of why some people may find a baton intimidating, I think you are right. Virtually everyone has a clear idea of what being hit by a stick feels like so the threat seems more real. Also, people might think that a cop will be much quicker to beat them into submission than shoot them dead.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Ratty said:
Olas said:

The police have apparently been hanging back and letting the looting take place, while doing things like firing tear gas at peaceful protestors 3 hours before curfew and again firing tear gas and rubber bullets at the designated press area. Meanwhile peaceful protestors have been left to stand in front of businesses to stop the looters. Many of whom are apparently out of town opportunists.
No, the "peaceful protestors" started the night by throwing molotov cocktails at police and marching toward one of the police stations en masse. The The police officers weren't "hanging back and letting the looting take place" the looting was happening far from where the police officers were assembled and they were unaware it was even happening. Some of the looted buildings had bullet holes in their walls.

I don't doubt that some protestors from Ferguson itself have turned violent, but the police clearly started this by firing tear gas and rubber bullets at peaceful protestors for a week.
The looting started days before the teargas was brought into the mix. The protesting was never wholly "peaceful" even from the very start. I'll blame the police for escalating things, but they never started firing tear gas and rubber bullets on a passive crowd.

That being said, I don't want to slander all the protestors, most of them are just as angry about the violence and looting. It's a few bad apples making the whole crowd look bad

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DrOswald said:
In that case I have to ask: what twisted world do you live in where a beating and a struggle for a gun is not a potentially lethal situation?
Yay strawmen!

So you equate all lethal force (or potentially), then try and take my broad statements and apply them to specifics neither you or I know, and call it twisted. Well yeah, it should be no surprise that when you twist someone's words you get a twisted world view.

But seriously, your justifications were needlessly broad, and instead of answering questions about those, you went after a strawman.

So, seriously, how do you reconcile this supposed world view of lethality with day-to-day life? Your justifications rely largely on histrionics and you're not taking sides only in the same sense that asking why you think it's okay to shoot surrendering black men is an unbiased question. You portray a very scary world in which a killing stroke could come from anywhere. Saying "if you attack a cop" doesn't change anything, because the threat is there if you attack a cop or not. Whether you're a cop or not.

It seems the only way to be safe is to kill everyone. But you seem to have abandoned that, rather going to the notion of "if he attacked a cop, all bets are off." That's nice, but it's kind of a non-sequitur when we're talking about the 7 billion pairs of lethal weapons in the world.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
DrOswald said:
In that case I have to ask: what twisted world do you live in where a beating and a struggle for a gun is not a potentially lethal situation?
Yay strawmen!

So you equate all lethal force (or potentially), then try and take my broad statements and apply them to specifics neither you or I know, and call it twisted. Well yeah, it should be no surprise that when you twist someone's words you get a twisted world view.

But seriously, your justifications were needlessly broad, and instead of answering questions about those, you went after a strawman.
Well, I figured extreme over exaggeration, straw men, twisting people's words, and outright ignoring what each other says was the game we were playing.

I mean, after you said "it sounds like you are saying the officer was justified" after I said "I am not saying the police officer was in the right in this instance" I figured ignoring and misrepresenting one another's statements was what we were doing here. My bad.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I thought this crap was over when the Governer pulled out the police and that Highway Patrol guy came in? What happened to him, is he still there? I remember everyone saying everything would calm down at that point.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DrOswald said:
Well, I figured extreme over exaggeration, straw men, twisting people's words, and outright ignoring what each other says was the game we were playing.
I see "lying" is now the game you're playing.

I mean, after you said "it sounds like you are saying the officer was justified" after I said "I am not saying the police officer was in the right in this instance" I figured ignoring and misrepresenting one another's statements was what we were doing here. My bad.
But it does sound like you're justifying it. I said that line in direct disagreement with the prior line. Hell, in the next post you said that all bets were off and asked what twisted world I lived in where it wasn't okay to shoot a guy supposing he fought and then struggled for a gun. That's...That's justifying. The whole point being that basically everything you said was in direct contradiction to that line.

See also: "I'm not a racist, but I can't stand black people." Well, he can't be a racist, now, can he? He said he wasn't.

It seems like you're trying to distract from the holes in your logic by pedantry.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Ratty said:
Therumancer said:
Right now I find no references to the upwards angle of the bullets, though the point about them all coming from the front is still being made. Ditto for comments about him likely having fallen to his knees after multiple gunshot wounds.
"Baden and Parcells focused on two shots in particular that correlated with witness accounts of the shooting. The first was the shot to that entered the top of Brown's head near his hairline behind the exit wound by his right eye. Parcells said he and Baden believed the shot was fired from above, down onto Brown's head, because the bullet appeared to have reentered into his right shoulder.

The other shot of note was the one in the middle of his right arm. "There was a witness statement that said [Brown] was walking away and he kind of jerks so that would have occurred when he was walking away, and then he turns around," Parcells said, demonstrating Brown's possible movements. "It's consistent with that."

Baden added that the bullets were fired from at least one or two feet away, and that there was "no evidence of a struggle." The only wounds apart from the bullet wounds were abrasions on Brown's face, attributed to him falling down after the shots to his head. "

-From the preliminary autopsy findings of Dr. Michael Baden and forensics pathologist assistant Professor Shawn Parcells.

http://www.thewire.com/national/2014/08/michael-browns-family-addresses-preliminary-autopsy-results/378686/

Therumancer said:
I'll also say that for those who have been accusing people who think like me of "defending police brutality" that the problem is people can't understand what it's like to be in the position of the cop. It's easy to sit back at a distance and say what a cop should or shouldn't do, and what's reasonable use of force, and how it's a "murder fantasy" to talk about how multiple potential opponents could justify lethal force even if someone says "I surrender" while other people might be continueing the fight. The cop has a right to come home alive too, and as I've said myself many times "I'd rather be tried by twelve, than carried by six". I was not a cop, but I was a Criminal Justice major, and I worked security for two casinos, both the size of small cities (I'm not kidding) and I had to deal with similar attitudes with people on the outside or from other non-security departments trying to act like they knew how security should handle dealing with rowdies in nightclubs, shut offs in bars, ejections, and escorts. It's easy to be an "expert" when your not the guy who risks having some guy break a bottle and try and stab you with the glass, or getting beaten to a pulp by a bunch of angry guys who have lost all their money, got loaded, and convinced themselves the casino must have cheated. Of course then again I was good at my job, I generally did not get into fights, and could control even tense situations. Albeit to be fair some of that did involve intimidation (such as making sure I had enough obvious backup on scene). The point is I understand to an extent, and being familiar with a lot of incidents, even in situations like that, the guy who puts his hands up and acts submissive could very well try and sucker punch you if he thinks your distracted.
This guy was a cop for six years. If he felt he couldn't handle an unarmed assailant he had plenty of time to get retrained or find another job.

Therumancer said:
At any rate, this case is going to get even more "interesting", and that isn't a good thing. When this is over it's likely to remain divisive and both sides aren't going to believe anything the other presents, no matter what evidence is on records, and the more "experts" are brought to re-do, and re-check everything the more complicated things are going to get. Not to mention that just about anyone should be concerned when the government ovverules the normal authorities and has a "special" anything rather than the intended people brought in. In a lot of cases that's sort of like being in the middle ages and being told that the local constable is being made to hand over the investigation to an "inquisitor".
Given the history of racial profiling and unrest in the county letting the "normal authorities" handle this is like asking the Catholic Church to handle the investigation and punishment of it's own people who abused children. And we see how that went for decades and decades and decades until finally they got pressure from outside authorities. Even if the local Prosecutor is somehow totally impartial the people of Ferguson don't believe he will be.
I did misstate the initial paragraph slightly. The point about the upward angle of the bullets is missing post-editing. As is the point about him likely having fell to his knees.

That said the reason for the third autopsy is that the shot to the top of the head could still have been gained if he was in the middle of charging. The witnesses also perjured themselves by claiming he was shot in the back/back of the head. What this means is that the witness testimony is now largely irrelevant on the point of the "execution" once he surrendered. The only part which still stands right now is that Brown reached into the police car to go for the officer's gun which caused him to be shot initially, what happened after that initial clash and what circumstances lead to more shots being fired are what's in question. We do not have the Cop's testimony, if the cop claims the guy tried to charge him (bending over to charge and bowl him over) this would wound also cooresponds with that.

This is probably why they want a third autopsy, because they are trying to hang the cop out to dry, and right now that evidence still isn't likely to get them a conviction.

As far as the rest goes, again, you don't know much about being a cop, or apparently understand what's implicit in that job where they need to worry about their own safety. I do to some extent from having taken Criminal Justice and the way I did security. One thing I do know about is something they refer to as "continuum of force" which is what I've mentioned before. As a general rule your typical person is supposed to use equal force to defend themselves, and attempt to flee dangerous situations if needed. A police officer, and certain other kinds of authority figures are supposed to confront wrong doers and can thus go one or more steps higher than the situation he's dealing with in order to take control when he engages in confrontation. In the most simplistic terms this basically means that if the guy is unarmed a normal person is supposed to defend themselves unarmed, a cop can use Mace, a Truncheon, a PR-24, or his handcuffs, if the opponent is armed with say a knife, then your typical person can also use a weapon of the same sort to defend themselves, a cop can pull their gun. This is a very basic analysis. In the real world other factors come into this, for example a police officer confronting a man much larger than he is, is not required to try and take the guy unarmed or use a nightstick and get it shoved up his butt. Likewise when facing multiple *potential* opponents continuum of force skyrockets, because even say two or three unarmed rowdies can overcome someone with a basic weapon pretty easily in the real world, so basically if your facing a situation where the odds could be two to one or more, then a cop in particular can whip out his gun and start blasting in most areas if he has to. This is also why so many incidents people don't understand happen, a group of youths bravely confronting the cops because they have confidence due to their numbers are actually putting themselves in greater danger if there is a serious altercation. As I pointed out, just because someone says "I give up" and goes to their knees doesn't mean they have actually given up, they haven't actually surrendered until they are under control, if say one guy says "I surrender" and you ignore him to deal with a rowdy friend and he tackles you or something you could get killed. On the other hand if it's one on one, and the guy surrenders and you can control the situation (call backup while you cover him, cuff him, etc...) then it's out of line. As I said from the beginning I thought the big question in this confrontation was going to comes down mostly to how the guy's friend acted during all of this, and what a lot of these witnesses were up to at the time, and whether the cop could reasonably have expected to be facing multiple opponents, in which case making sure a guy who tried to grab your gun is really out of it by shooting him even if he says "I give up" becomes pretty reasonable. Again if YOU were there and didn't want to die, you would probably do something very similar, it's common sense. What's more unless this cop is gigantic himself a 6' 4" guy just by getting violent can be considered armed himself, the same also applies if you know someone has martial arts training (or have a valid reason to suspect he does, like the guy wearing a shirt from a Martial Arts academy, or certain kinds of symbology common to martial arts students). Remember it's about control, not making it a fair fight. The more dangerous the guy is, the more the cops can do, especially seeing as the cops aren't acting to equalize, they are acting to take control while remaining safe themselves.

*THAT* said, the same laws and policies apply to everyone, the officials assigned to that area should be the ones to carry out activities and investigations in that area. Mob justices is the exact opposite of what the USA stands for. What's more controlling illegal protests that have gotten out of control (ie ones without permits) and riots is just doing the job, not police brutality. When you start calling in special people in a politically charged situation like this where politicians got involved before they even allowed the facts to be determined and a lot of people have a vested interest in the outcome for their own careers, that loads the situation heavily.

One of the reasons why I said "wait for an investigation" and am not more or less on the Cop's side now, is in part because of the guy's record. The dude has been working six years in this area without an incident and was actually decorated. He's not likely to be a racist or a thug with a badge. On the other hand, the guy who was shot WAS a thug, and he and the closest witnesses were both accomplices in a strong armed robbery attempt not long beforehand. That kind of theft is not a death penalty offense, but it does show you what kind of people they were, as does the way they were holding up traffic in front of a cop car, when it went so far as trying to grab a cop's gun... well yeah, that's something that can, and should, get you killed. That part was never in dispute in fact, this all comes down to whether the guy surrendered, the cop had control of the situation overall when he did, and the cop decided to shoot him when he did.

Another thing to also understand is the police are never transparent, it's how our legal system works. The police investigate, and then if a case goes forward the details are released in court. People cry about this in almost every situation that gets attention, but things work this way for a reason. One of the big problems we're dealing with now is that information control to prevent people from jumping to conclusions before all the facts are known and it's been decided what the prosecutor is going to pursue (if anything) isn't working when politicians and the media are allowed to take statements by the alleged victims and then run with them and spin things out of control. Politicians can make a career out of demonizing the police, and stirring tensions themselves so they can be seen as some kind of champion, the media just wants the most sensational stories possible and nothing is more sensational than causing riots due to alleged police misconduct. The fact that certain communities, like blacks, are impatient and easily manipulated by both the media and politicians (it's pretty much what Al Sharpton has made his career out of), and almost never wait for investigations and the sort means that things get unusually bad, unusually quickly in certain situations, and certain politicians and media outlets probably sit around with feelers out just waiting for something like Ferguson so they can run in to dump a bucket of gasoline onto the fire.

That said, I'm probably not worth having a conversation with on this right now. I'm just saying the same things I've said before. Right now I saw some very specific initial reports, followed by what seemed to be a massive media crackdown, and a call for a third autopsy when even after removing the most relevant parts the case still wasn't going to give certain people what they dearly want out of this situation. I'm not much of a one for serious conspiracy theories, but when a case like this has international attention, and everyone and their brother came running out to condemn the "brutal shooting" before all the facts were known, and now all these very important people and very powerful media outlets are going to look stupid if the facts don't fit their narrative, and all of a sudden details start changing (the kind of stuff you wouldn't make mistakes about) and they seem intent on re-checking every bit of evidence until they get someone who tells them what they want to hear... well I get suspicious. For once I'll say my own opinion isn't based on things I can actually prove, nor what someone will find by doing their own research (which is what I typically tell people) so there isn't much point about me discussing the details. Unless something seriously changes, I expect this cop to be doomed, and in five years I'll probably be one of the very few people who thinks he didn't do it because of all the "evidence" that will be manufactured given the way this thing has started to be run, and those with a political stake in the matter are pretty much undermining every aspect of the system.

To be honest I don't talk about it much, but this is the second major incident like this where I'm in a similar position. The other one has to do with "The War On Terror". I'm not a huge "Dubbya" fan despite what some people might think, and feel the way he ran the war he started was a joke on a lot of levels. However, one of the things I do not believe is that he started the war on false pretenses and failed to find WMDs. Indeed when we first hit Iraq, the Iraqi military surrendered, EPA guys and chemical engineers went around and were testing the water and such and found a lot of rivers especially the Tigris I think it was, were absolutely loaded with junk from chemical weapons. Basically the Iraqi military flushed their WMD as they surrendered so they wouldn't be caught with the stuff. I'm also one of those people who will point to guys like "Chemical Ali" being convicted of gassing Kurds, which doesn't make much sense unless Iraq had access to such weapons. This was all over the place for about 10 minutes, and then whoosh, it disappeared and now hardly anyone else admits it.

Another little fact that fits into that as well is how Bush was called to task by both foreign allies and people in the DoD for his hunt for nuclear weapons. A big issue for about 10 minutes was that Bush was going to parade a bunch of nukes around for the media to prove "I got them". The problem is that he can't do this as a matter of policy is to keep such devices as well hidden as possible as part of agreed on security. Making it clear that even if Bush found hundreds of warheads (which I doubt he did) he couldn't have actually showed them to vindicate himself. The idea is that the best way to protect WMDs is to ensure very few people, if anyone, know where they are. This is why you have stories about farmers finding missile silos buried under corn fields (mostly a joke), and also the inspiration for certain movies where nukes are lost on subs or planes, not every vehicle capable of carrying such ordinance actually loads it all the time, and a lot of times only a very few people know which ones are "hot" including potentially the pilots and captains. Hence why instead of a major international incident they say send some special agent out or whatever (like everything Hollywood exaggerates though). Another good example would the whole "MX Missile Program" from the Reagan era (I think that was the name) which was the basic idea of putting a portion of the USA nuclear arsenal on trains, with a number of decoys out there. The joke was to have the weapons so mobile and concealed that not only the President would know where they were at any given time (not that it mattered... Alzheimers and all... haha). The point is we suspect we know where a lot of the nukes are stored because we're told, but in reality most of our active warheads are treated in a way where it's almost impossible to find and steal them. A lot of allied countries do the same thing, and it's a policy of agreement because nobody wants to deal with a real version of the whole "terrorists raid the nuclear fort knox despite it's allegedly impenetrable security and hold the world hostage" scenario Hollywood does variations on. By policy apparently if Bush ever did find warheads, he would be under an obligation to make them vanish. Most people don't even remember some of this stuff, since it was again out there for like ten minutes, but it's another reason I rarely discuss that because as far as I can tell Bush never could have told us what he found. Indeed if he did he would have been labeled dangerously incompetent, probably more so than the stigma of having run a war under false pretenses.

I'm not going to argue the War On Terror, just saying that this vaguely reminds me of those incidents. At the end of the day unless the media keeps drumming something in 24/7 and creates a huge backtrail, it's almost impossible to prove something once the articles are taken down, unless you somehow found it mentioned in hardcopy or recorded it off TV or whatever.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
DrOswald said:
When I say effectiveness I don't mean in the case of a direct hit. Pepper spray to the face will neutralize virtually anyone. But from what I know (described to me by law enforcement I know personally) it is harder to use pepper spray than a gun for a few reasons, including the fact that pepper spray is in a spray can and it requires a hit to the person's face to be effective. A gun puts someone down pretty much no matter where you shoot them.

In terms of why some people may find a baton intimidating, I think you are right. Virtually everyone has a clear idea of what being hit by a stick feels like so the threat seems more real. Also, people might think that a cop will be much quicker to beat them into submission than shoot them dead.
Problematically, pepper spray is largely useless in a close quarters struggle. Most pepper sprays have an aerosol effect, effectively exposing anyone within a certain area of the target to the agent, and the absolute last thing you want to do in that situation is to accidentally incapacitate yourself, particularly when there's more than one potential assailant.

Tasers have some similar issues in close quarters, outside of the Drive Stun setting which itself is not incapacitating. Mostly it's used (and frankly, MISused all too often) for pain compliance. You wouldn't use that in a dangerous situation since there's a fair to middlin' chance you'll just piss off the person you used it on.

Batons... Dangerous or ineffective, depending on the nature of the baton in question. If it's heavy enough to do damage, it can kill. If it's too light to kill, it's not heavy enough to do damage. And depending on the design of the baton, of possibly limited utility in close quarters.

The sad truth is that if you assault a police officer, he has good reason to believe that you intend him grievous bodily harm, and the most effective response he has at that point is his sidearm.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
DrOswald said:
I see "lying" is now the game you're playing.
I don't respond well to hyperbolic bullshit. If you wanted a civil and reasoned discussion maybe you shouldn't have taken the fact that unarmed melee can be lethal to the frankly insane point of "By that logic, shooting almost anyone who comes at you in any sense is completely justified." Maybe you shouldn't have stretched my position of eliminating an immediate threat to a position of condoning outright murder with "After all, if even a single punch could kill, the only way to be safe is to make damn sure they never get up again." Maybe you should actually try to have a reasoned discussion, perhaps ask for clarification if it seems there are contradictions, instead of jumping to conclusions and attacking with as much righteous rage as you can muster in a forum post.

I am not saying the officer was justified and I never did. I outlined conditions that would make such a shooting justified. Frankly, I cannot imagine how you can confuse the two besides deliberate misinterpretation.

And now you are just outright calling me a liar and equating me to racists. So I am done talking to you. Here is my final word on the subject, quoted from my earlier post:

If the policeman was attacked as described by the police, then yes it was justified. The attacker used potentially lethal force against an officer and attempted to take his gun (possibly to use against the officer.) In those circumstances lethal force is entirely 100% justified.

On the other hand, if he was not attacked as described but the event went down as described by the witness, if it was an unjustified shooting, then the policeman should be treated as a murderer because what happened was murder."