Rampant Police Brutality and Media censorship in Ferguson Missouri

Mar 9, 2012
Plunkies said:
Brown commits strong arm robbery at a local store. At some point after leaving the crime scene, Officer Wilson arrives, Brown attacks the door and strikes the Officer multiple times through the window. During this fight a shot goes off in the struggle. Brown runs and the officer yells at him to stop, Brown then turns around and charges. Wilson puts several shots into him but he fails to stop Brown, then puts at least one in his head and he goes down. That series of events was in the police report and independently verified by an eye witness account caught on video minutes after the shooting. His body at the scene shows forward momentum. Autopsies show he was shot in the front. Injury reports show the Officer was attacked.
And yet the autopsy of Brown also shows that he had no signs of struggle on him. And that witness account also contradicts the other witnesses' accounts. You are clearly cherry picking here.

EDIT:

What the other eyewitness say is that Wilson pulled up to Brown in his SUV, reached out and grabbed him around the neck to pull him in towards the vehicle, Brown put his hands against the vehicle and used that leverage to push himself back to free himself from Wilson's grip. Wilson could have easily been injured in the process by banging his head against the interior of the car since from a sitting position he had no leverage to keep Brown down.

The story of Michael Brown being an innocent young boy who was doing nothing wrong and surrendering to police when he was brutally executed based purely on his race is an agenda driven narrative fabricated by race baiters and sensationalist media outlets.
And yet the right-wing narrative on Brown sounds like the exact same thing they did to morph Trayvon Martin from a teenage boy into a thuggish, roid-raging dope-fiend that beat Zimmerman to within an inch of his life so he just had to shoot him.

Plunkies

Oct 31, 2007
Blachman201 said:
Plunkies said:
Brown commits strong arm robbery at a local store. At some point after leaving the crime scene, Officer Wilson arrives, Brown attacks the door and strikes the Officer multiple times through the window. During this fight a shot goes off in the struggle. Brown runs and the officer yells at him to stop, Brown then turns around and charges. Wilson puts several shots into him but he fails to stop Brown, then puts at least one in his head and he goes down. That series of events was in the police report and independently verified by an eye witness account caught on video minutes after the shooting. His body at the scene shows forward momentum. Autopsies show he was shot in the front. Injury reports show the Officer was attacked.
And yet the autopsy of Brown also shows that he had no signs of struggle on him. And that witness account also contradicts the other witnesses' accounts. You are clearly cherry picking here.

No, you seem to be the one cherry picking. You're taking obvious lies, not supported by any evidence or common sense, and holding them above the information given by two independent sources further backed up by physical evidence.

EDIT:

What the other eyewitness say is that Wilson pulled up to Brown in his SUV, reached out and grabbed him around the neck to pull him in towards the vehicle, Brown put his hands against the vehicle and used that leverage to push himself back to free himself from Wilson's grip. Wilson could have easily been injured in the process by banging his head against the interior of the car since from a sitting position he had no leverage to keep Brown down.
Honestly, does that even begin to sound believable to you? What police manual tells an officer to pull a 6'4 300 pound man in through his car window? Even using common sense, why on Earth would anyone do that? And in so doing he smashes his own face into his steering wheel, presumably? All to frame this gentle giant who was minding his own business being innocent and black so this racist officer could gun him down in the street in front of a dozen witnesses in broad daylight? What an evil mastermind.

Meanwhile, you have a witness caught accidentally, moments after the shooting, with no reason to lie, who saw the entirety of the event, painting a much different picture. And that picture perfectly aligns with police reports, physical evidence, and the autopsy done after the fact.

The story of Michael Brown being an innocent young boy who was doing nothing wrong and surrendering to police when he was brutally executed based purely on his race is an agenda driven narrative fabricated by race baiters and sensationalist media outlets.
And yet the right-wing narrative on Brown sounds like the exact same thing they did to morph Trayvon Martin from a teenage boy into a thuggish, roid-raging dope-fiend that beat Zimmerman to within an inch of his life so he just had to shoot him.
You obviously start with a conclusion and will ignore anything to not be wrong, even in the face of overwhelming evidence. Zimmerman's telling of events moments after the incident was in virtually perfect corroboration with police reports, witness testimony, and physical evidence at the scene. If you watched the trial it was painfully obvious that there was nothing supporting the story told by the media and the outrage manufacturers who so desperately wanted that case to fit their agenda. We're seeing the same thing with this one, and the more evidence that comes out, the more it doesn't fit the narrative, and the more people like you will make excuses and ignore the hard evidence.

I mean, really....Morph? There's no morphing required when you can just release a video minutes before the shooting showing the guy committing a robbery and assaulting a store clerk. It's almost comical how the hard facts never cooperate with these modern "civil rights" movements.

Based on both this case and the Zimmerman case, you almost might think these "civil rights" people pick clear losers on purpose. The vast majority of the population only watches the news, as opposed to doing any critical thinking themselves, so they'll just accept the media's story without question. The actual facts are essentially irrelevant. Then when the verdict predictably comes back as not guilty they can say it's all because of systematic racism that these people got away with their heinous crimes, and certainly not because the media and Sharpton et al were wrong all along.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Plunkies said:
Honestly, does that even begin to sound believable to you? What police manual tells an officer to pull a 6'4 300 pound man in through his car window?
The same one that says to put a weighty, non-resistant man who could not have possibly out run police and was selling individual cigarettes, and nothing else, in a chokehold position. Then leave him there, passed out, to die.

If you think cops are some sort of infallible group of people, capable of no wrong doing or misaction...then you are highly mistaken.
Plunkies said:
You obviously start with a conclusion and will ignore anything to not be wrong, even in the face of overwhelming evidence. Zimmerman's telling of events moments after the incident was in virtually perfect corroboration with police reports,
Including the fact that police told him to stop fucking tailing that kid. Not saying anymore on the matter.

Plunkies said:
Based on both this case and the Zimmerman case, you almost might think these "civil rights" people pick clear losers on purpose. The vast majority of the population only watches the news, as opposed to doing any critical thinking themselves, so they'll just accept the media's story without question. The actual facts are essentially irrelevant. Then when the verdict predictably comes back as not guilty they can say it's all because of systematic racism that these people got away with their heinous crimes, and certainly not because the media and Sharpton et al were wrong all along.
But the autopsy that proved that Brown had no gun powder on his body and henceforth couldn't have been near it when it fired isn't part of the facts am I right?

Captcha; 'Learn About IT'
Yeah some people should.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Angelblaze said:
If you think cops are some sort of infallible group of people, capable of no wrong doing or misaction...then you are highly mistaken.
I haven't seen anyone say that cops are infallible. They're only human after all.

However, the account given by Dorian Johnson stains the limits of credibility, because it's just not possible to for someone sitting in a car to be able to reach out, throttle a 6'4 man by the throat and drag him into the car. And, that's before you consider the lie of omission of their involvement in the robbery of the cigars.
Including the fact that police told him to stop fucking tailing that kid.
I'm not sure what you assume the word "fact" to mean, because that's not what happened in reality.

The operator (not the "police") told Zimmerman "we don't need you to do that." in regards to following Martin. Zimmerman was never issued an order to not do something. In fact, the operator did not have the authority to issue such an order.
But the autopsy that proved that Brown had no gun powder on his body and henceforth couldn't have been near it when it fired isn't part of the facts am I right?
Except, the "independent" examiner didn't examine the clothing that Brown wore during the altercation. I assume that's because the clothing was still in the state's evidence, rather than due to negligence of the examiner. The report of the initial autopsy has yet to be released, afaik.
Captcha; 'Learn About IT'
Yeah some people should.
Agreed. Provided what the "it" they learn about is grounded in reality.

Plunkies

Oct 31, 2007
Angelblaze said:
The same one that says to put a weighty, non-resistant man who could not have possibly out run police and was selling individual cigarettes, and nothing else, in a chokehold position. Then leave him there, passed out, to die.

Never said cops were infallible nor was anyone talking about that incident. The straw man does you no favors.

I have no love for vice cops shaking down citizens for cigarette taxes, and even in this case where I might be inclined to agree with you that the cops were out of line, you insist on making up stories. To call him non-resistent is a complete lie. He was clearly resisting and on tape doing so. That was the catalyst to the entire situation.

Plunkies said:
You obviously start with a conclusion and will ignore anything to not be wrong, even in the face of overwhelming evidence. Zimmerman's telling of events moments after the incident was in virtually perfect corroboration with police reports,
Including the fact that police told him to stop fucking tailing that kid. Not saying anymore on the matter.
See? People accept the media's word and never educate themselves beyond that. Look at this guy repeating the same tired talking points that have been debunked a thousand times. But, for his edification, let's do it once again.

The 911 operator is not a police officer. The 911 operator does not tell anyone to do anything, lest they open themselves up to liability. The 911 operator told him "you don't have to" follow him. Zimmerman said OK. Zimmerman never went beyond the T intersection of the housing complex and only went there to have line of sight behind the row of houses to give the operator the information that was requested. Both physical evidence at the scene and the timeline of the incident show that Martin would have had to double back to confront Zimmerman, and that Martin had enough time to go home 10 times over. And, most importantly, nothing Zimmerman did was a crime, certainly not following him. I'm not sure what civilization you live in, but typically watching someone in your neighborhood for a few minutes doesn't justify aggravated assault.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. We already know there was a struggle at the window of the car. We know the officer was injured at this time. We know a shot went off during that struggle that hit no one. This is a fact that all sides seem to agree upon. The best we can assume from a lack of gun powder on his hands is that his hands weren't on the officer's firearm when the shot in the car was fired. The autopsy also didn't have access to Brown's clothing.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Ratty said:
Here are some photos of the police firing tear gas at Al Jazeera then illegally dismantling their cameras.

"Freedom of the press, but only if we feel like it." You'd almost think they had something to hide.
I'm confused. If there is proof such activity has gone on, as there is in this case, as with firing into groups of unarmed peaceful protesters, why has nobody sued the police force over it?

Yeah, actual, non civil legal charges should be going on, but they aren't, so that's the next recourse.

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
9-year-old boy murdered, multiple other shootings in Chicago [http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-2-teens-critically-wounded-in-south-side-shooting-20140820-story.html]

I think one former Chicago official said it aptly: the black population needs to get as angry about black-on-black shootings as they do when the shooter is white. Most killings of blacks never garner much attention, and that is the real outrage.

erttheking said:
The owner of the stores where the cigars were purchased said that he never saw Mike Brown according to his lawyer.
According to that interview, we learn that man claims to be representing the clerk but hasn't even spoken to him. He merely states that the clerk has not identified the man on the tape as Michael Brown, and until that weekend had never seen him in the store.

At that point I'd be questioning why CNN would even hold that interview when he knows nothing. That network is a joke.

I wouldn't blame the storekeepers if they stay out of it and refuse to point the finger. We've seen what has happened to Ferguson, particularly looted stores. I wouldn't give the maniacs out there a reason to come back, smash my windows and take even more of my stuff, let alone step into the full hell that is national attention on this case. All for some cigars? I'll let it go.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Angelblaze said:
True, but people seem to forget that Zimmerman was already searching for Martin before the dispatcher told him to stop at which point Zimmerman had already lost sight of Martin. After being told to stop Zimmerman complied and, after finishing his call, started to walk back to his truck. It was at this point that he was attacked by Martin.

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
Got linked this clip. Cellphone video of the actual shooting. Judge what will.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cell-phone-video-emerges-refutes-st-louis-cops-version-shooting/ (not sure how to properly link stuff)

Cops get out of car with drawn guns. Upset a guy and shoot him in broad daylight.´

I'd like to note that my own country's police deal with matters such as these all the time without pulling their guns as the first resort. The swedish police is trained in martial arts fo non-lethal takedowns though.

Mar 9, 2012
Plunkies said:
All to frame this gentle giant who was minding his own business being innocent and black so this racist officer could gun him down in the street in front of a dozen witnesses in broad daylight? What an evil mastermind.
I keep trying to read this, but a literal man of straw seems to attempt to exit my screen very time I attempt. Can you at least try to refrain from putting words into my mouth?

I mean, really....Morph? There's no morphing required when you can just release a video minutes before the shooting showing the guy committing a robbery and assaulting a store clerk.
You seem to keep hammering the point. Are you implying that Brown deserved to get shot and killed for some as petty as stealing cigars?

Regardless, it is not really relevant here. Facts remains that Wilson didn't know about the robbery, and accosted Brown and his friend for jaywalking. And regardless of what transpired during the accosting, Wilson repeatedly shot and killed an unarmed man from a distance. Even Brown if was charging towards him, he still repeatedly shot an unarmed man from a distance. I can't really see why that is so hard for you to understand that it is an excessive and disproportionate use of lethal force.

Heck, even Zimmerman had a better case, as he was engaged in a direct physical struggle with Martin at the moment he shot.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Angelowl said:

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cell-phone-video-emerges-refutes-st-louis-cops-version-shooting/ (not sure how to properly link stuff)

Cops get out of car with drawn guns. Upset a guy and shoot him in broad daylight.´

I'd like to note that my own country's police deal with matters such as these all the time without pulling their guns as the first resort. The swedish police is trained in martial arts fo non-lethal takedowns though.
That incident is not about the Brown shooting at all. It's about the shooting of Powell that happened after brown was killed. Also we know that it was not about Brown because Wilson was by himself during the event in question. We are talking about a separate event here.

It might be best to ensure that is clear to all who may view it.

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
jklinders said:
Angelowl said:

That incident is not about the Brown shooting at all. It's about the shooting of Powell that happened after brown was killed. Also we know that it was not about Brown because Wilson was by himself during the event in question. We are talking about a separate event here.

Ah, ok. Right. I was confused then, my mistake. Sorry. I am not good very good when it comes to keeping track of names it seems.

Plunkies

Oct 31, 2007
Blachman201 said:
Plunkies said:
All to frame this gentle giant who was minding his own business being innocent and black so this racist officer could gun him down in the street in front of a dozen witnesses in broad daylight? What an evil mastermind.
I keep trying to read this, but a literal man of straw seems to attempt to exit my screen very time I attempt. Can you at least try to refrain from putting words into my mouth?
That's not what a strawman is, but good job dodging the majority of my post. That's just me trying to understand this fantasy you've concocted where the officer is simultaneously assaulting Michael Brown and himself while still in his vehicle. Your story makes no sense but just keep ignoring that.

I mean, really....Morph? There's no morphing required when you can just release a video minutes before the shooting showing the guy committing a robbery and assaulting a store clerk.
You seem to keep hammering the point. Are you implying that Brown deserved to get shot and killed for some as petty as stealing cigars?
Yeah, now who's putting words in people's mouths? You're the one talking about how he's being "morphed" as though releasing a video of him doing a thing that he clearly did in a public place amounts to wholesale character assassination.

Regardless, it is not really relevant here. Facts remains that Wilson didn't know about the robbery, and accosted Brown and his friend for jaywalking. And regardless of what transpired during the accosting, Wilson repeatedly shot and killed an unarmed man from a distance. Even Brown if was charging towards him, he still repeatedly shot an unarmed man from a distance. I can't really see why that is so hard for you to understand that it is an excessive and disproportionate use of lethal force.
Not jaywalking. My understanding is that Brown was walking down the center of the street and Wilson told him to move to the side of the road, then went by. He got the radio call of the robbery and description and reversed to confront Brown, which is when the attack at the car door took place.

Help me understand this magical world you live in. The officer has been assaulted and his face is badly injured. He steps out with his gun up and the man who just beat him charges at him, all 300 pounds. In your world this officer isn't supposed to shoot. So what is he supposed to do? Take a beating and hope it doesn't kill him? Or that his gun is stolen and used against him?

And repeatedly shot? I imagine you're not someone who is familiar with the function and use of firearms. Let me give you a hint. You don't shoot once and take a good 10 seconds to assess the damage that your shot did. You keep firing until the target goes down because the reason you're shooting is to eliminate a threat. He put 3 to 4 shots into Brown, and as witness reports state, he didn't go down. He kept running. It's not until the headshot that he finally dropped.

How is it you assign no personal responsibility to Michael Brown? Is he expected to behave this way? He could have not robbed the liquor store. He could have not attacked the officer the first time. He could have not attempted to attack the officer a second time. All of these options would have prevented his death. Instead, people seem to want to act like its a right for black people to attack others, and if someone shoots them in self defense it's some kind of civil rights case.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Angelowl said:
jklinders said:
Angelowl said:

Ah, ok. Right. I was confused then, my mistake. Sorry. I am not good very good when it comes to keeping track of names it seems.
Just making sure that this does not confuse things any further than they already are. Good score actually.

Still pretty nasty. The video was to far away to judge anything but the fact that the police were misleading people about how far away the suspect was at the time however. I could not see anything about the suspect to judge his posture or whether what was in his hand was properly visible to police or not. Then again, the cops said the knife was clearly visible in an overhand grip at the time. looks like the entire sequence of events was doctored by the cops to keep them smelling clean. At least 6 shots fired, no warning that I could hear.

Very nasty.

captcha: stop wasting time

But I have most of my fun when I am doing just that. You never let me have any fun captcha...

Mar 9, 2012
Plunkies said:
but good job dodging the majority of my post
Meh, I have said my piece on certain things, and I don't really feel like wasting time and effort by repeating myself all day.

Yeah, now who's putting words in people's mouths? You're the one talking about how he's being "morphed" as though releasing a video of him doing a thing that he clearly did in a public place amounts to wholesale character assassination.
No, I point out what your words seems to imply (in this case some sort of twisted Just World fallacy). I know that statements which are not absolute can be quite confusing and hard to understand, but do try to keep up.

Not jaywalking. My understanding is that Brown was walking down the center of the street and Wilson told him to move to the side of the road, then went by. He got the radio call of the robbery and description and reversed to confront Brown, which is when the attack at the car door took place.
Now you are just being petty and pedantic, and yet somehow you're a bad job of it too. Police Chief Tom Jackson himself stated that Wilson confronted Brown and his friend for walking in the street and blocking traffic, which is (surprise, surprise) jaywalking. Jackson also stated that Wilson was not aware of the robbery.

Help me understand this magical world you live in. The officer has been assaulted and his face is badly injured. He steps out with his gun up and the man who just beat him charges at him, all 300 pounds. In your world this officer isn't supposed to shoot. So what is he supposed to do? Take a beating and hope it doesn't kill him? Or that his gun is stolen and used against him?
Tazer him, use mace, or run and call for back-up? Cops have plenty of other less lethal solutions to defuse such a situation, but you certainly seem to think that maximum violence and aggressiveness is and should be the only possible answer. It is quite funny how you seem so insistent in accusing other of thinking irrationally when all they are asking for is a less disproportionate response.

How is it you assign no personal responsibility to Michael Brown? Is he expected to behave this way? He could have not robbed the liquor store.
Again, you seem insistent on keep brining this up when the police themselves doesn't consider it a factor in how Wilson acted in the situation. Can't you see how it sounds suspiciously much like you are only trying to use it as an justification for Brown getting shot?

people seem to want to act like its a right for black people to attack others, and if someone shoots them in self defense it's some kind of civil rights case.
Weren't you whining about it being made about race some posts back? Yet here you are, turning what should be a matter of the excessive use of lethal force into a racial question.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
erttheking said:
The owner of the stores where the cigars were purchased said that he never saw Mike Brown according to his lawyer.

<youtube=hwXwEWmAqvE&feature=youtu.be>
And this is relevant how?

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Olas said:
erttheking said:

It's not even a little bit relevant which is both sad and funny at the same time. The facts as admitted by the police is that Wilson did not know that Brown may have been a suspect in the robbery at the time of the shooting. That one piece of information invalidates the need for the store to claim they did not know of him. It also invalidates the idea that Wilson felt the need to defend himself against a violent robbery suspect. That's not stopping a lot of people in this thread from focusing on this issue though and that's funny and sad at the same time.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
jklinders said:
Olas said:
erttheking said:

It's not even a little bit relevant which is both sad and funny at the same time. The facts as admitted by the police is that Wilson did not know that Brown may have been a suspect in the robbery at the time of the shooting. That one piece of information invalidates the need for the store to claim they did not know of him. It also invalidates the idea that Wilson felt the need to defend himself against a violent robbery suspect. That's not stopping a lot of people in this thread from focusing on this issue though and that's funny and sad at the same time.
There's hypocrisy on both sides though. Many people who derided this as an irrelevant piece of character assassination also had no problem talking about how nice a person Micheal Brown was and mentioning that he was to be going off to college 2 days later.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Olas said:
jklinders said:
Olas said:
erttheking said:

There's hypocrisy on both sides though. Many people who derided this as an irrelevant piece of character assassination also had no problem talking about how nice a person Micheal Brown was and mentioning that he was to be going off to college 2 days later.
Indeed, but that whole mess has not entered the courts. I really am not interested in sorting through the he said she said of that shit until it's entered as evidence in court. There are very few facts in the case until it hits the courts. A lot of people here are cherry picking. That's going to happen when there are so few facts present.

I'm more interested in the aftermath which is by every reasonable account rife with abuses of power and authority. That's actually what drew me to this thread in the first place. Seriously when Amnesty fucking International is shown the door by the local authority, that's when I start looking for bodies, dirt and closets full of skeletons.

Plunkies

Oct 31, 2007
jklinders said:
Just making sure that this does not confuse things any further than they already are. Good score actually.

Still pretty nasty. The video was to far away to judge anything but the fact that the police were misleading people about how far away the suspect was at the time however. I could not see anything about the suspect to judge his posture or whether what was in his hand was properly visible to police or not. Then again, the cops said the knife was clearly visible in an overhand grip at the time. looks like the entire sequence of events was doctored by the cops to keep them smelling clean. At least 6 shots fired, no warning that I could hear.

Very nasty.
If you're within 20 feet brandishing a knife you're considered a very lethal threat. This guy dropped dead within 2 feet of the cop car. They yelled repeatedly to drop the knife. In fact, even a bystander yelled drop the knife as well. Not sure what video you watched. Though I admit it can be difficult to tell considering how many of these people never learn how to get their phone out of portrait mode to record a video.

Blachman201 said:
Plunkies said:
but good job dodging the majority of my post
Meh, I have said my piece on certain things, and I don't really feel like wasting time and effort by repeating myself all day.
No, you don't have time to actually address things like facts or logic. Of course you have plenty of time to nitpick statements that are clearly facetious.

No, I point out what your words seems to imply (in this case some sort of twisted Just World fallacy). I know that statements which are not absolute can be quite confusing and hard to understand, but do try to keep up.
My words were in direct response to you suggesting that the video of Brown is somehow "morphing" him into something he isn't. His getting shot has everything to do with his threatening and violent response to police. Just like the idiot in the video was shot for brandishing a knife and moving toward police officers, as opposed to the soda he stole moments before.

Now you are just being petty and pedantic, and yet somehow you're a bad job of it too. Police Chief Tom Jackson himself stated that Wilson confronted Brown and his friend for walking in the street and blocking traffic, which is (surprise, surprise) jaywalking.
Jaywalking involves crossing. These two dummies were walking down the center of the street. Wilson told them to get on the sidewalk, not to stop crossing at a non-crosswalk like naughty little rapscallions.

Tazer him, use mace, or run and call for back-up? Cops have plenty of other less lethal solutions to defuse such a situation, but you certainly seem to think that maximum violence and aggressiveness is and should be the only possible answer. It is quite funny how you seem so insistent in accusing other of thinking irrationally when all they are asking for is a less disproportionate response.
Run away...That's what he should have done? It's getting harder and harder to take you seriously when your posts consist entirely of condescension interspersed with completely ridiculous statements.

We don't even know what other options the officer had on him. We do know that 4 bullets didn't stop this guy. I question whether pepper spray would do anything to him and I think it would be foolish to bet your life on either a tazer or pepper spray without another officer nearby with a lethal option at hand.

people seem to want to act like its a right for black people to attack others, and if someone shoots them in self defense it's some kind of civil rights case.
Weren't you whining about it being made about race some posts back? Yet here you are, turning what should be a matter of the excessive use of lethal force into a racial question.
You can't even keep your own argument straight. You yourself brought up the Zimmerman/Martin case. You already know it's a race issue. You already know that no one would be rioting, and no one would care, if Brown was White. It was a race thing from the start and you already knew that. It really seems like you're willing to say anything or go off on any nonsensical tangent as long as you're not responding to the evidence.