Rampant Police Brutality and Media censorship in Ferguson Missouri

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Nil Kafashle said:
The police started using violence when they murdered an unarmed black boy by shooting him multiple times. Or one could also say the cops are permanently using violence by coercively protecting a system that maintains poverty, racism and mass incarceration.

I hope I cleared that up for you.
Where did they murder anyone in that particular video? Oh yeah, nowhere. And a cop doing some shit doesn't justify breaking the law. It simply does not.

And its a cops duty to maintain the system. It's not their job to question its morality. That's up to the voter and lawmakers. A cop, just like soldiers, are tools of the government. Questioning this is no short of anarchism.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
generals3 said:
That one video is but one little snippet of a crazy situation going on for almost a week now.

Responding by itself is understandable, thing is that the police has no idea how to respond properly. They seem to have no idea how to handle this situation. There's no communication going on, no dialogue. All the police is apparently trained to do in this situation is to show up with CQB rifles, teargas grenades and camouflaged combat fatigues.

That, by itself, is evidence of a deeply rooted problem in how the US seems to train and deploy its police forces.
And its a cops duty to maintain the system. It's not their job to question its morality. That's up to the voter and lawmakers. A cop, just like soldiers, are tools of the government. Questioning this is no short of anarchism.
That is absolutely untrue. Police officers are expected to display sound judgement in when and how to enforce the law. They are not 'tools' by any stretch of the imagination. They are nothing like soldiers, and even soldiers are expected to think for themselves in specific situations.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
At this point the President needs to send in the National Guard to maintain order in place of the police. It's clear there is a level of corruption going on in the Ferguson Police Force and they need to be over-stepped.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
BiscuitTrouser said:
I find what's happening in Ferguson horrifying, however that picture there is apparently an old on from Brazil that has been making the rounds again under the Ferguson hashtag. Just thought you should know.

EDIT: Here's a link that explains it: [link]http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/fauxphotos/ss/Cop-Pepper-Sprays-Child.htm[/link]. Awful that it happened at all, but it wasn't in Ferguson.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
I knew the police in the States were pretty corrupt in places, but this is a new level. They look like fucking special ops soldiers, not policemen.
Being from the UK, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of police having lethal weaponry at all. If you need deadly force just to keep people in check, then something was very wrong to begin with.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
generals3 said:
Where did they murder anyone in that particular video? Oh yeah, nowhere. And a cop doing some shit doesn't justify breaking the law. It simply does not.
It's not just about a few incidents - the Ferguson police has a history of racial profiling [http://ago.mo.gov/VehicleStops/2013/reports/161.pdf].

That's up to the voter and lawmakers. A cop, just like soldiers, are tools of the government.

You shouldn't equate a cop with a soldier. The cop's job is to deescalate the situation.

http://cf.badassdigest.com/_uploads/images/Bu-C8_rIgAE4TFh.jpg

And in case you disagree, you should know that the Missouri governor has relieved the entire County Police [http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/14/1321549/-Missouri-Governor-announces-St-Louis-County-Police-to-be-relieved-of-their-duties-in-Ferguson#] and brought in the National Guard for mishandling the situation so badly.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
otakon17 said:
At this point the President needs to send in the National Guard to maintain order in place of the police. It's clear there is a level of corruption going on in the Ferguson Police Force and they need to be over-stepped.
Because the police forces themselves don't look and aren't armed like actual soldiers enough, so hell just send in actual soldiers?

Yeah, no, these cops seem to have little knowledge on community management as it is, I don't see how the National Guard is going to be able to do anything but crack down even harder. What's needed is community management. Police offers are there to protect and serve the public, something they can't do without the actual public. The whole Ferguson situation is an exemplary case of the police having lost all contact with the community they're supposed to serve. There's no dialogue or anything similar going on.

It ain't as much corruption as it is the police having forgotten what they're actually for. Sending in the army is not going to be what'll calm the community down, if anything it's going to make the feeling of oppression and anger in the community worse. There needs to be way more dialogue, more involvement in the community. Law enforcement has to earn back the trust they've lost.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
RA92 said:
And in case you disagree, you should know that the Missouri governor has relieved the entire County Police [http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/14/1321549/-Missouri-Governor-announces-St-Louis-County-Police-to-be-relieved-of-their-duties-in-Ferguson#] and brought in the National Guard for mishandling the situation.
What happened is the opposite of what the quote you posted is about, which I find a little funny, but then I do understand that you meant that the police in Ferguson is the exact opposite of what it's supposed to be. Which, indeed, I agree with.

Such a sad turn of events that it had to come to this. I mean, honestly, if the governor is personally intervening, this entire "police being a bunch of unscrupulous and irredeemable assholes" thing is likely even worse than it looks on the news, and that's saying something...

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
trollnystan said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
I find what's happening in Ferguson horrifying, however that picture there is apparently an old on from Brazil that has been making the rounds again under the Ferguson hashtag. Just thought you should know.

EDIT: Here's a link that explains it: [link]http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/fauxphotos/ss/Cop-Pepper-Sprays-Child.htm[/link]. Awful that it happened at all, but it wasn't in Ferguson.
Oh crap thanks, im just trying to report accurately whats going on, definitely feel free to show more places i screwed up. The correction has been made, thank you!

Still pretty horrific though, the sheer cruelty of it...

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
That one video is but one little snippet of a crazy situation going on for almost a week now.

Responding by itself is understandable, thing is that the police has no idea how to respond properly. They seem to have no idea how to handle this situation. There's no communication going on, no dialogue. All the police is apparently trained to do in this situation is to show up with CQB rifles, teargas grenades and camouflaged combat fatigues.

That, by itself, is evidence of a deeply rooted problem in how the US seems to train and deploy its police forces.
Handling riots is probably one of the most difficult tasks a cop can face. Act too harsh and you'll be seen as a Fascist, act too softly and you'll risk seeing rioters causing more trouble because they can. If I look at the video which was supposedly an example of them handling it badly i'd say it doesn't prove the point at all. The crowd dispersed extremely quickly and things calmed down in a matter of minutes. I'd say that was an effective intervention.

That is absolutely untrue. Police officers are expected to display sound judgement in when and how to enforce the law. They are not 'tools' by any stretch of the imagination. They are nothing like soldiers, and even soldiers are expected to think for themselves in specific situations.
They can use their judgement... to decide how to uphold the law. The law is determined by the government. So in essence they are tools of the government. They're there to uphold the law made by the government. Off course they can think about how to do that. But they can in no way question the morality of the law. Otherwise the system would break down.

And in that aspect they're the same as soldiers. Both are upholding the government's will. One against domestic threats (by enforcing the law), the other against foreign threats (by following orders).

And the parallel between both forces is so great that there are actually countries which have semi-military police forces. (The Gendarmerie in France and The Carabinieri in Italy and it wouldn't surprise me other countries have such police divisions as well)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ratty said:
I'm not sure black cops would help, as black cops tend to show a similar bias towards black subjects as white cops do. There is clearly something else at play, and simply treating it as an issue of diversity does nobody any good.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
Also, I can never find something about the protests being illegal.
Oh? So the reports of rioting, looting, moltov cocktails, and shots being fired at police all equate to perfectly legal peaceful protest and assembly?

http://online.wsj.com/articles/missouri-community-seeks-answers-about-police-shooting-of-teen-1407939862

I'm not picking a side in this because I really don't like getting mixed up into conversations like this on this forum, just pointing out that there are indeed two sides to this story.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
If I were living in Missouri I'd be a bit fucking concerned right now about how those who should "serve and Protect" are acting here.

A good and strong reaction from the higher levels of government would be the firing of the entire Ferguson PD, together with the higher-ups at the St. Louis PD. Not that this would ever happen. But I'm just angry right now. Try me again in a few days and I might have a more fitting reaction.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
BiscuitTrouser said:
Oh crap thanks, im just trying to report accurately whats going on, definitely feel free to show more places i screwed up. The correction has been made, thank you!

Still pretty horrific though, the sheer cruelty of it...
No problem =) I was a finger's twitch away from retweeting that image yesterday but read the replies to it first. Good thing I did. I really need to get into the habit of doing a Google image search when I come across photographs like this...

I can't believe the cop in the picture though. She can't be more than 8 or 9!

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Even if protesters are acting violently, that's to be expected. They're a bunch of people (rightfully) pissed off at the police.

The police on the other hand are supposed to be peace-keepers. It's their job to prevent violence. And if they're not bothering, then who will?

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Smooth Operator said:
Well you should mention this is all after the major violent riots, looting, vandalising and arson that broke out in Ferguson Missouri. All that in a country where anyone can walk around armed to the teeth, where in fact the super markets that were looted had stashes of guns... I think any person ordered to stand on the street in uniform under conditions like that will be merely waiting to get shot.
So I'd say it's miracle cops didn't come in with machine guns and killed everyone in sight.
Police accept the possibility that they may be killed in the line of duty every time they put the uniform on, but if they aren't prepared to take that risk in the name of keeping the peace and not brutalizing peaceful protestors, they have no business wearing it in the first place.

And as plenty of people have been pointing out, there's plenty of reason to question just how much rioting and looting went on. Not that it becomes easy to figure out what is actually happening when the police are preventing reporters from getting in and doing their jobs. Rule number one when the police are enforcing a media blackout though: don't trust anything they say without corroboration. Hell, that goes for any group in any situation, regardless of whether or not there's a media blackout.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
generals3 said:
You seem to have a very skewed vision of what the police is supposed to do. Things calmed down you say? Are you telling me that the community, after their over-violent reaction, is feeling superb and won't do anything like that again? They're apparently so effective that they're relieved of duty. [http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/14/1321549/-Missouri-Governor-announces-St-Louis-County-Police-to-be-relieved-of-their-duties-in-Ferguson#]

The 'protect and serve' slogan does not refer to the government, it's the people they're protecting and serving, and you can't do that without the actual public. Policing over here is done with the community, cops are involved with the people they're protecting; they're supposed to know what's going on and why. They engage in dialogue if shit goes topsy-turvy, they actually try to keep the community calm. You don't do that with tear gas, you do that with dialogue.

You can only work for the public if you work with the public. In that the St. Louis county police failed miserably and looking at comparable incidents over the past few years it's a problem throughout the US. They should really rethink their law enforcement training, it's been hammered into fighting the war on terror and drugs so hard that it forgot how to actually work with the public, so it seems.
RJ 17 said:
Cowabungaa said:
Also, I can never find something about the protests being illegal.
Oh? So the reports of rioting, looting, moltov cocktails, and shots being fired at police all equate to perfectly legal peaceful protest and assembly?

http://online.wsj.com/articles/missouri-community-seeks-answers-about-police-shooting-of-teen-1407939862

I'm not picking a side in this because I really don't like getting mixed up into conversations like this on this forum, just pointing out that there are indeed two sides to this story.
No, because those instances were not what I was referring to. In replies to other people I already stated that a response to those acts is indeed justified, they're of course illegal, but that the problem is that the response is neither proportional to the violence of the rioters nor appropriate when also directed at the peaceful protests.

In short, it's a powder keg that finally exploded and the cops have no idea how to handle the community. A sad state of affairs.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
I've been wondering what on earth Obama is going to do when he hears, now my thoughts are why hasn't he heard already? What the hell is going on?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Vareoth said:
If I were living in Missouri I'd be a bit fucking concerned right now about how those who should "serve and Protect" are acting here.

A good and strong reaction from the higher levels of government would be the firing of the entire Ferguson PD, together with the higher-ups at the St. Louis PD. Not that this would ever happen. But I'm just angry right now. Try me again in a few days and I might have a more fitting reaction.
Post #47 a little higher up suggests it already did, actually. So, maybe all is not lost.