Rampant Police Brutality and Media censorship in Ferguson Missouri

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
omega 616 said:
Hey, I'm not American but whats the second amendment? Something about "you're allowed guns to defend yourself against a tyrannical government" or something? I'm not saying lets turn this into IRL COD buuuuut .....

I'm not sure what constitutes a tyrannical government but with spying on countries, spying on it's citizens and now being even more brutal than usual than shoot first and questions later or just straight up beatings and profilings.

I'm not saying march up to the steps of congress and piss on the lawns of the white house but I'd say that your government is pretty tyrannical.
The gun culture in America is pretty conservative/racially divided.

"Thugs" yeah that's not a code word or anything.
It's ironic that dirt poor whites identify more with white billionaires than dirt poor blacks/Latinos who are living in similar conditions. Part of the reason racism is so persistent is it gives people who have nothing a sense that "at least we're better than THEM".

Rath709

Mar 18, 2008

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/dumbest-police-chief-america

1. Officer kills an unarmed black teen in the street.

2. Officer who kills the teenager requests assistance but does not inform his commanders of what happened. Instead, they learn it on the news like everyone else.

3. The scene is left in the hands of the officer?s own colleagues who allow the officer to leave the scene of the crime. His vehicle is also allowed to leave the scene ? presumably breaking the integrity of the chain of evidence.

4. Victim is left lying in the road for four hours ? inflaming the community and presumably destroying evidence.

5. Witnesses say that the killing officer never bothered to check for a pulse once his victim went down. None of the other officers arriving on the scene checked for a pulse. Bystanders in the medical field were not allowed to attempt CPR.

6. Rumor has it that the cellphones of possible witnesses were confiscated.

7. Police launch campaign to protect the officer at all costs - including the destruction of the community of Ferguson.

8. Police launch a full military invasion of the traumatized town of Ferguson.

9. Police caught on international TV screaming ?Bring it! Bring it you fucking animals!?

10. The response to a community protesting police brutality is the imposition of ?martial law? complete with authoritarianism, tear gas, rubber bullets, flash grenades and sound grenades.

11. Police throw the Constitution out the window and arrest, assault and teargas journalists.

12. Police arrest a well-known public figure for the "crime" of "failing to listen".

13. Chief of Police praises his officers for showing incredible restraint.

14. After days of shocking behavior that caught the attention of the world, police finally release Killer Cop's name - while concurrently launching a smear campaign against his victim. This decision to reignite the fuse of the powder keg is not run up the chain of command - despite pledges from the Governor that there is a new Sheriff in town.

15. Chief of Police specifically says that he is not interested in talking to the community he has been victimizing.

16. Chief of Police holds multiple press conferences in which he contradicts himself repeatedly.

17. Chief of Police makes a statement PRAISING the Killer Cop while concurrently smearing the dead teenaged victim at the center of the nation?s outrage: "He was a gentle, quiet man," Police Chief Thomas Jackson said Friday, referring to Wilson. "He was a distinguished officer. He was a gentleman. ... He is, he has been, an excellent officer."

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Rath709 said:
Take your anti police rant elsewhere. It's obvious the police didn't cause most of this, jumping to false conclusions did.

From Gawker comments;

I think we have enough information to make a probable theory of what really happened

Michael Brown a recently turned 18 year old about to go to college is hanging out with his friend. He wants to celebrate his farewell and what better way then with a cigar. But he decide he will steal it. He and his friend steal some cigar and walk out of the store shoving and intimidating the store owner when he try to stop him, Michael as we all saw is a about 6'4 and 300 pounds.

He probably wasn't worried about Ferguson overworked underfunded police turning up in time to catch him and he is about to leave town anyway so they won't find him later. So he is surprised when a cop squad car turns up almost immediately.

The squad car doesn't know about the robbery but Michael doesn't know that and is probably freaking. The police officer shout at him to get of the road Michael and his friend stupidly talk back to the cop saying they are almost at there destination. The cop pulls his car in front of Michael and starts to get out of his car. Michael doesn't want to be arrested ruining his leaving for college in a few days so as the cop is getting out he bash the squad car door closed and punched the cop through his window hoping to stun him so he can get away knowing the cop can out run him given his 300 pound weight. But he fails to stun him the cop goes for his gun Michael try to stop him they struggle in the struggle the officer fire his gun Michael runs the cop gets out of his car fire several more shoots several more shoots Michael collapse and dies from a gunshot.

They key question is where was the fatal shoot fired, he appears to be bleeding from his chest in the picture so either while struggling in the car with his delayed action after running 30 feet or after turning around while trying to surrender. The first would be a legal kill the second illegal. My instinct tell me in the car.

This is the most probably story of what happened.

Skull Bearer

Mar 6, 2012
Eri said:
Rath709 said:
Take your anti police rant elsewhere. It's obvious the police didn't cause most of this, jumping to false conclusions did.

From Gawker comments;

I think we have enough information to make a probable theory of what really happened

Michael Brown a recently turned 18 year old about to go to college is hanging out with his friend. He wants to celebrate his farewell and what better way then with a cigar. But he decide he will steal it. He and his friend steal some cigar and walk out of the store shoving and intimidating the store owner when he try to stop him, Michael as we all saw is a about 6'4 and 300 pounds.

He probably wasn't worried about Ferguson overworked underfunded police turning up in time to catch him and he is about to leave town anyway so they won't find him later. So he is surprised when a cop squad car turns up almost immediately.

The squad car doesn't know about the robbery but Michael doesn't know that and is probably freaking. The police officer shout at him to get of the road Michael and his friend stupidly talk back to the cop saying they are almost at there destination. The cop pulls his car in front of Michael and starts to get out of his car. Michael doesn't want to be arrested ruining his leaving for college in a few days so as the cop is getting out he bash the squad car door closed and punched the cop through his window hoping to stun him so he can get away knowing the cop can out run him given his 300 pound weight. But he fails to stun him the cop goes for his gun Michael try to stop him they struggle in the struggle the officer fire his gun Michael runs the cop gets out of his car fire several more shoots several more shoots Michael collapse and dies from a gunshot.

They key question is where was the fatal shoot fired, he appears to be bleeding from his chest in the picture so either while struggling in the car with his delayed action after running 30 feet or after turning around while trying to surrender. The first would be a legal kill the second illegal. My instinct tell me in the car.

Dude, if you were projected any harder we could use you for powerpoint presentations. There is no evidence for any of this save the provably wrong claims of a police department who desperately need to show themselves in the best light, and your demented ramblings on how 'your instincts' justify the killing of an unarmed kid.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Skull Bearer said:
Eri said:
Rath709 said:

From Gawker comments;

Dude, if you were projected any harder we could use you for powerpoint presentations. There is no evidence for any of this save the provably wrong claims of a police department who desperately need to show themselves in the best light, and your demented ramblings on how 'your instincts' justify the killing of an unarmed kid.
1. He was not a kid. He was 18. Weighed over 290lbs and was over 6ft tall.
2. Being unarmed means nothing. Could you take on a guy that size and win with no weapons?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Eri said:
Skull Bearer said:
Eri said:
Rath709 said:

From Gawker comments;

2. Being unarmed means nothing. Could you take on a guy that size and win with no weapons?
So do I. Does that mean that the police have a free pass to put a bullet in my brain the second things get a little tough?

No, I couldn't. But I'm not trained to handle this kind of stuff. They are. The officer sucked at his job.

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
Eri said:
Don't cops generally carry tazers for this sort of thing?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
erttheking said:
So do I. Does that mean that the police have a free pass to put a bullet in my brain the second things get a little tough?

No, I couldn't. But I'm not trained to handle this kind of stuff. They are. The officer sucked at his job.
The fact he's still alive says he's pretty good at his job. And yes, if you get into a struggle fighting a cop, and he/she doesn't think they will win the fight, they can use lethal force against you.
Phil the Nervous said:
Eri said:
Tasers can miss. Even if they don't miss, it doesn't mean it will work. Some people can ignore them like it doesn't exist. Tasers are also most effective the farther the prongs are apart from one another, if they are right beside each other(meaning you fired at close range), the effect is greatly lessened. And, of course, if you think your life is in imminent danger, you wouldn't go for a taser anyway.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Eri said:
erttheking said:

The fact he's still alive says he's pretty good at his job. And yes, if you get into a struggle fighting a cop, and he/she doesn't think they will win the fight, they can use lethal force against you.
The fact that the other guy is did begs to differ. A police officer killing an unarmed person is not something to be proud of. The job of the police is to protect civilians. A civilian is dead when he very easily could've stayed alive. He sucked at his job. The recent string of incidents in this town show just how little the police here care for the people of this town. Actually I find it kind of ironic that you have an AoT avatar, because this is exactly the kind of stuff the Military Police has been pulling in the later chapters, just to a lesser degree.

So all the money on tazers, pepper spray and batons is clearly wasted. Single punch, go right for the gun?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
erttheking said:
The job of the police is to protect civilians.
That is where you are wrong. It is not their duty to protect civilians.
NY Times said:
Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=0

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
Eri said:
Tasers can miss. Even if they don't miss, it doesn't mean it will work. Some people can ignore them like it doesn't exist. Tasers are also most effective the farther the prongs are apart from one another, if they are right beside each other(meaning you fired at close range), the effect is greatly lessened. And, of course, if you think your life is in imminent danger, you wouldn't go for a taser anyway.
Ah, didn't know any of that, thanks for the info!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Eri said:
erttheking said:
The job of the police is to protect civilians.
That is where you are wrong. It is not their duty to protect civilians.
NY Times said:
Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=0
Yeah, this is why people have no faith in the police in this country anymore. It's not something to be proud of. This is why people are concerned America is becoming a police state. The safety of civilians aren't the main concern of the police. They're an inconvenience.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
Phil the Nervous said:
Eri said:
My dad talked about this yesterday, police are rarely trained to use tasers, it's almost a foreign concept to them despite having them all the time. They never use them unless people are usually apprehended prior and they never do it for defense, that's what their firearms are for. We even did a little practice where I had to run at him full charge with a pencil and pretend to stab him, giving me averages to show how much they usually put themselves at risk and why they would think their gun was the best possible option for protecting themselves. I thought the exercise was way too specific for my liking, I had the knife in my hands at all time, he had to take his "gun" out and ready it to fire, it was very forced, but it overall did put me in his perspective. Unfortunately, it is hard for him to be put in perspectives other than what he is, father, officer, black man, son, almost retired, and husband. The exercise also doesn't mirror the fact that many people are unarmed, moving away, moving slowly, or are not angry or aggressive toward the cop in anyway, such is probably the case for Brown and many people.

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
Eri said:
I feel its also worth remembering that the officer was put in the hospital with injuries, so clearly Brown was able to inflict some damage on the officer in question, and thus making it that much closer to showing his shooting was a justified self-defense.

Skull Bearer

Mar 6, 2012
BOOM headshot65 said:
Eri said:
I feel its also worth remembering that the officer was put in the hospital with injuries, so clearly Brown was able to inflict some damage on the officer in question, and thus making it that much closer to showing his shooting was a justified self-defense.
Yes, with 'swelling on the side of his face', truely life threatening. I'm sure we'll hear of a poor police officer in hospital with severely kicked shins after he shot a six year old girl.

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
Say what you will about the shoplifting. But it still does not justify the fact that Mike Brown was shot and killed after trying to surrender. A police officer is only supposed to draw his or her firearm as a last resort. There are a myriad of non-lethal techniques the cop could have used, Mace and Tasers are standard issue in all departments. Also the Chief of the Ferguson Police makes Chief Wiggum look competent.

Wolfe M. Howler

Jun 27, 2011
Eri said:
If that was all that happened, I would agree with you.

The problem is that the shot that killed him wasn't fired while they were fighting. He was shot once in the struggle, and then killed while he was trying to run away. The officer's life was not being threatened by a wounded fleeing man, who could be followed and apprehended.

If he was killed by the shot during the initial struggle, then I believe that there wouldn't be any sort of protest. But the fact that he was shot multiple times while on the ground, that the office did not attempt to check for vitals or explain his situation on the dispatch, and that Brown's body was left on the road for FOUR HOURS is the reason for the protests. The fact that the police started arresting/ tear-gassing reporters and discontinuing 911 services is just icing on the cake.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
MrMan999 said:
Say what you will about the shoplifting. But it still does not justify the fact that Mike Brown was shot and killed after trying to surrender. A police officer is only supposed to draw his or her firearm as a last resort. There are a myriad of non-lethal techniques the cop could have used, Mace and Tasers are standard issue in all departments. Also the Chief of the Ferguson Police makes Chief Wiggum look competent.
It was robbery, not shoplifting. Large difference. He took it by force, he did not quietly steal it in the corner.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Eri said:
MrMan999 said:
It was robbery, not shoplifting. Large difference. He took it by force, he did not quietly steal it in the corner.
So Judge Dredd decides that petty thieves deserve to die.

Scary looking black men are still entitled to due process.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
Eri said:
Rath709 said:

From Gawker comments;

Isn't that story mostly supposition and contested witness testimony ?
Is there any forensic evidence to support this, or any other story ?
Theory-crafting only works with hard facts, otherwise it's just baseless speculation.