random game idea which you think would be cool including any plot ideas or places to set games in

Stormanne

Mar 28, 2008
This is going to sound lame as hell, but here goes.

An open world, sand box driving game. Nothing too out of the ordinary. Oh, and the world you are driving around in is the real world. Make it so that you can upload Google Earth maps to the game. Have a generic background rendering for each locality or, if on PC, actually use Google Earths satellite images for a real time "sketch" rendering of the actual surroundings. Get info from the United States Department of Highways on traffic patterns for the various areas.

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
for an add-on: Sandbox-style Metroid where you ACTUALLY do some FREAKIN bounty-hunting

Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny fighter

Highschool sim (bad idea in my opinion but meh)? For those creeps that actually miss that period of their life/obsessive life-sim players/pedophiles

dragonblade629

Apr 16, 2009
Both
Stormanne said:
This is going to sound lame as hell, but here goes.

An open world, sand box driving game. Nothing too out of the ordinary. Oh, and the world you are driving around in is the real world. Make it so that you can upload Google Earth maps to the game. Have a generic background rendering for each locality or, if on PC, actually use Google Earths satellite images for a real time "sketch" rendering of the actual surroundings. Get info from the United States Department of Highways on traffic patterns for the various areas.
That would be awesome.

Sable Gear said:
for an add-on: Sandbox-style Metroid where you ACTUALLY do some FREAKIN bounty-hunting

Highschool sim (bad idea in my opinion but meh)? For those creeps that actually miss that period of their life/obsessive life-sim players/pedophiles
The first cool, but it should also have updating missions and a leaderboard of some sort,

The seconded, AWESOME!

The third, no, I'm in high school, and it sucks.

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
dragonblade629 said:
Sable Gear said:

The first cool, but it should also have updating missions and a leaderboard of some sort,

The seconded, AWESOME!

The third, no, I'm in high school, and it sucks.
Thankyou

Thankyou

Agreed

wowthisishard

Mar 11, 2009
An open-world horror-themed (as in the way that Castlevania is horror-themed, horror homages, but nothing actually meant to be scary) sandbox platformer starring a raven set in a "typical American suburb". I'm thinking graphics would vaguely resemble the Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker, but with more of an emphasis on purple and dark blue than the Wind Waker had (ideally, but that would be incredibly difficult to accomplish). The raven would be capable of choosing from multiple missions (think GTA style, go to marker on minimap then start missions), with different ways to complete each mission (good, neutral, and evil; think morality system but completely over the top). Exploration would be by walking, moving along power lines, and flying (which would be entered by tapping the jump button twice). There would have to be easter eggs hidden in every corner to make exploration worthwhile, and maybe some tokens that could work as a currency of sorts to upgrade the raven's flight speed and other attributes. Of course, even with worthwhile exploration, there needs to be something to do between missions. Between missions you can attack civilians or help them (i.e. if you see someone getting hurt creating a distraction to let them get away, or prevent muggings by attacking a mugger) which would effect the morality system. I haven't really decided on a combat system I'd like to see yet, but perhaps one button during flight could give you the option of divebombing an opponent and while another button could serve as a straight rush that would do significantly less damage to enemies but could be used with the environment for massive damage (i.e. rush at a power line to electrocute an opponent). As for enemies, pretty much what you can expect: psychopaths, ghosts, zombies, werewolves, vampires, other ravens, innocent humans, some aliens (later in the game), and homages to recognizable horror film characters (such as someone vaguely resembling Freddy Krueger and for characters like Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees, I suppose this crosses over into psychopaths). Naturally, the game would have to be filled with references to horror classics such as having an Elm Street that is apparently having problems with a monster that attacks in people's sleep (in a quest which would obviously lead into the previously mentioned Freddy Krueger inspired enemy), a supposedly haunted house located on a hill, a mad doctor assembling a creature sewn together from multiple corpses, etc.

dragonblade629

Apr 16, 2009
wowthisishard said:
An open-world horror-themed (as in the way that Castlevania is horror-themed, horror homages, but nothing actually meant to be scary) sandbox platformer starring a raven set in a "typical American suburb". I'm thinking graphics would vaguely resemble the Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker, but with more of an emphasis on purple and dark blue than the Wind Waker had (ideally, but that would be incredibly difficult to accomplish). The raven would be capable of choosing from multiple missions (think GTA style, go to marker on minimap then start missions), with different ways to complete each mission (good, neutral, and evil; think morality system but completely over the top). Exploration would be by walking, moving along power lines, and flying (which would be entered by tapping the jump button twice). There would have to be easter eggs hidden in every corner to make exploration worthwhile, and maybe some tokens that could work as a currency of sorts to upgrade the raven's flight speed and other attributes. Of course, even with worthwhile exploration, there needs to be something to do between missions. Between missions you can attack civilians or help them (i.e. if you see someone getting hurt creating a distraction to let them get away, or prevent muggings by attacking a mugger) which would effect the morality system. I haven't really decided on a combat system I'd like to see yet, but perhaps one button during flight could give you the option of divebombing an opponent and while another button could serve as a straight rush that would do significantly less damage to enemies but could be used with the environment for massive damage (i.e. rush at a power line to electrocute an opponent). As for enemies, pretty much what you can expect: psychopaths, ghosts, zombies, werewolves, vampires, other ravens, innocent humans, some aliens (later in the game), and homages to recognizable horror film characters (such as someone vaguely resembling Freddy Krueger and for characters like Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees, I suppose this crosses over into psychopaths). Naturally, the game would have to be filled with references to horror classics such as having an Elm Street that is apparently having problems with a monster that attacks in people's sleep (in a quest which would obviously lead into the previously mentioned Freddy Krueger inspired enemy), a supposedly haunted house located on a hill, a mad doctor assembling a creature sewn together from multiple corpses, etc.
You really spent a lot of time on this, didn't you.
Seems like you got a little to in depth on this, I mean, just for an online forum.
Still, awesome idea.

Has anyone else noticed that almost all the ideas are sandbox games of some kind?

Theo Samaritan

Jul 16, 2008
Am I the only one here who gets the impression that these threads amount to nothing more than "post your ideas so I can nick them"?

One of these days that will actually happen, and you'll all be pissed.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Theo Samaritan said:
Am I the only one here who gets the impression that these threads amount to nothing more than "post your ideas so I can nick them"?

One of these days that will actually happen, and you'll all be pissed.
Nope, I was thinking that too. In fact, since so many seem to have game ideas I started a thread earlier for people who've actually made their own games to post them on the site (the links to them, obviously):

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.108221#1818259

hero in flames

Jan 10, 2009
your a ninja... who has crabs... to rid your self of this, you must kill hordes of zombies and beat pirates with your amazing super powers that you get on level 7 after killing the super mutant lobster named david... and once you finish the game he takes off the ninja mask, to reveal he is actually a african water duck... this game would be epic.

Elexia

Dec 24, 2008
A baby turtle is flushed down the toilet and battles his way below and above a busy city, growing in size and strength until gradually he reaches the wild and is a fully grown turtle battling smugglers trying to trap him.

Okay, I've been looking at too many turtles today.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I got one, actually for story I think I have 3 possible ideas for the same story:

Story Version 1:

Set in the city of New York in the year 2036 in the aftermath of a devastating underground siege by a hive of strange animal-like creatures (resembling the creatures from Alien) called Hornet who have infested and taken over the city killing almost the entire population. The survivors are then trapped in the city as the entire area becomes sealed off and quarantined while the army sets off routine bombing runs to try to suppress the creature population. The story would be similar to STALKER Clear sky in that in the aftermath there are several surviving groups who have now become war torn factions fighting for control of resources and the city is now basically a jungle infested with these Hornet. The main character is desperate to find a way for him, his girlfriend, his best friend and his best friend's daughter to escape the city.

Story Version 2:

This one is set in war torn Iraq in the year 2036. In a future where nuclear warheads have been outlawed and instead biological science has become the new 'big thing'. The U.S marines head down to the Irag warzone to take out a 'terrorist outpost' and gain control of something that the US government wants. However once there thins go bad, a horde of strange unknown creatures (those Hornet's again) start to infest the major cities and the US government seals it off. With no chian of command and limited supplies the Americans are forced to work with the Iraq troops if they want to make it out alive and find out the truth.

Story Version 3:
Set in New York again this time through the eyes of a normal guy named Nick Thompson who is having realtionship problems. Sure enough his problems dissapear when from the ground below come the swarms of Hornet once again show up and start infesting the city. Desperately trying to rescue his girlfriend and help his best friend (Jim O'Donnell) find his daughter Nick and Jim fight their way through the hordes. This would be different to the other versions because this would be set entirely through the eyes of the civilians and as such you would never find out anything about the origins of the monsters. Nothing matters but escape. There are some hints or ideas as to what's going on but nothing major.

Gameplay:
Despite which story set up I would make it focus heavily on the efforts of survival. You would have to collect food and water to stay alive, and find shelter. Guns would be a rarity as well so the emphasis would be mostly on melee combat and since usually you'd be a man of average strength every enemy killed would be a challenge. There would also be a mechanic that allows you to lay traps for enemies.
Also there would be a day night transisition in the open world design, and when night falls you must find shelter otherwise you would be ripped to shreds by entire swarms of the creatures. Also the military bombing runs would be a part of the game in that you would have to check your watch constantly to make sure you are safe.
Survival would be the main focus of the game, safety and resources as well as shelter.
There would also be a handful of multiplayer options all of which are based on the theme of survival (I'm talking multiplayer game types that haven't been made yet) and in multiplayer you can opt to play as the Hornet monsters instead of the humans.

More on the idea later maybe. Right now though I'm too tired to keep typing.

suhlEap

Apr 14, 2009
a first person sandbox game? not an rpg like fallout 3, but effectively gta in first person. i bet there's already one and i'm being stupid but still?