Randy Pitchford talks about next Duke Nukem game.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
He says that it will have to do something new and surprise and excite us. That it shouldn't alienate fans and be so different that it will be unfamiliar,but that it should be innovative and do what Duke Nukem 3D did back then in the genre. He talks about new game design we haven't seen in other games.

He also says that in DNF Duke was a jerk unlike DN3D where he was a hero role model,and that for the next game they will have to rework his character so he can still touch edgy subjects,but at the same team being someone we can relate to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fSm3jJwSGug#!

So what do you expect for the next Duke Nukem game ? How do you feel about Randy's words on it ?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
They're seriously making another one of those?
Blimey.

Well... good luck to them.
Personally I feel this IP should just be allowed to die. Can't say I know anyone who would actually buy it anymore.

Sethran

Jedi
Jun 15, 2008
At least this time it'll be Gearbox's from the ground up, and not a corpse they tried to resurrect from 3D Realms.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Ed130 said:
Stick to IP's you created yourself Randy.

Let the Duke die.

(Also, Borderlands 2 rocks!)
You are aware Randy helped make Duke Nukem 3D back when he worked at 3D Realms?

Duke Nukem 3D is often considered THE Duke Nukem game because it make Duke into what he was.

He pretty much was there when Duke Nukem was really made.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
SajuukKhar said:
Ed130 said:
Stick to IP's you created yourself Randy.

Let the Duke die.

(Also, Borderlands 2 rocks!)
You are aware Randy helped make Duke Nukem 3D back when he worked at 3D Realms?

Duke Nukem 3D is often considered THE Duke Nukem game because it make Duke into what he was.

He pretty much was there when Duke Nukem was really made.
No I did not realise that.

Still think he should leave the Duke be, if only to get the whole Forever taste out of peoples mouths.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
First things first, how're they going to make a pun based on the number 5?, 3D & FO(u)Rever has one?

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
This time get Yahtzee on board straight away instead of waiting around for years.

Jk, probably wouldn't care. But really, some self-referential humour wouldn't kill you. If you play it straight again you'll end up with the same game again. And people will not buy it again.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Aslong as we don't have to wait another 14 bloody years for this one.
I'll be willing to forgive Gearbox for this one, just aslong as they remember what made Duke Nukem great. Level exploration, barrels of enemies, lots of guns to work with, badass one-liners, good music. Would be funny to see the reaction if we got two Duke Nukem games before Half-Life Episode 3.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
My thoughts on a new DN game... you know how there was, like, a 15 year gap between DN3D and DNF? Yeah, let's do that again. Hopefully by then the stink will have died down...

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
DarklordKyo said:
First things first, how're they going to make a pun based on the number 5?, 3D & FO(u)Rever has one?
Duke Nukem: 50 years later

It could take that long, if it follows the footsteps of DN:F. Or more future neutral - Duke Nukem: High Five!

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
Am I the only one who wants to see a modern-made Doom clone? Seriously Gearbox, just look at what made Duke Nukem 3D great, and go nuts with the formula.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
DoPo said:
Duke Nukem: 50 years later

It could take that long, if it follows the footsteps of DN:F. Or more future neutral - Duke Nukem: High Five!
Well Gearbox doesn't suffer from the same funding problems that 3D Realms did, nor do they have George Broussard to reset the game at a whim.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Considering the fact that he seems to think DNF is a game of unassailable quality, I can't imagine his promises on the next game will be much to go by.

mariosonicfan5

Jun 18, 2012
Wait Duke was a "role model hero" in 3D? I'm pretty sure he was still the same old super offensive hyper masculine ass he's always been, in fact 3D was the game that made him that way.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I give them credit for making Duke Nukem Forever. Sure it was terrible, and almost universally derided by gamers and critics alike, but they got it finished when others couldn't, and it sucking wasn't all their fault.

I think, however, they should just let it go. Forever was closure. Let us as gamers move on.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
As long as they finish it in three years or less I'm fine with it. If they bring that joke back....*shudder*

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
IIRC one of the devs said that DNF only covered something like half the content they'd made. So Pitchford is sitting on another DNF worth of game he's already paid for.

Thought: Hype up another Duke release a bit, spend a bit (but not millions) on advertising. Release the rest of the content as a new Duke game, digital download only. Total new outlay would be low and they wouldn't need a huge amount of sales to turn a profit. Surely there's enough suckers born every minute to cover that?