Rank the Star Wars Films (or not)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
1. Whichever one Darth Vader Force choked that guy via television.
2. Whichever one had the scene where that deformed tyrannosaurus-looking thing that eats the dancing chick with tentacles for hair.
3. The rest of them.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
1) Non- Star Wars movies
2) III (+Overall good entertainment, +The Emperor throws senate seats at Yoda)
3) V (+Yoda tells luke he's an asshole, +plot feels somewhat natural, -Han Solo is a creep)
4) I (+As a kid I liked the rolling robot thingies that can chase away the jedi and Darth Maul, -Midichlorians are an obviously dumb idea)
5) VI (-Yoda dies because he was in the way of the writers with his common sense, -Leia does fuck all despite being the only competent potential jedi left, -somewhat disjointed start due to saving Han Solo)
6) II (-No distinct memories of this one)
7) IV (-poor pacing, -Luke Skywalker, -Ludicrous incompetence everywhere)

I haven't seen the new ones so maybe they are better than the old ones but I highly doubt they are worth my time.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
1) Rogue One

2) The Force Awakens

3) Return of the Jedi

4) The Last Jedi

5) Revenge of the Sith

6) Empire Strikes Back

7) A New Hope

8) The Phantom Menace

9) The Clone Wars

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
1) Return of the Jedi - I know it's not the best plotwise, but the final act with the space battle, the ground battle and the lightsaber duel is just epic and I always enjoy it. Something they tried to replicate in Phantom Menace, but only the lightsaber duel was all that engaging.

2) Empire Strikes Back - Improved upon the original, brought us more characterization for everybody, great plot and fantastic action sequences.

3) A New Hope - the movie that started it all. The assault on the Death Star is always a joy to watch.

4/5) The Last Jedi / Revenge of the Sith - I can't really decide which of these two I like better. RotS is certainly the best of the prequels, but Anakin's sudden turn to complete evil where he's slaughtering kids and essentially people he knew and worked with was hard to believe. Also didn't care for the battles with Grievous or the easy elimination of Dooku, but otherwise, the movie worked in a way the previous ones did not.

As for The Last Jedi, it had three components, only one of which was completely engaging (Luke/Rey/Ren) while one felt a bit meandering (Ship chase) and the third after all was said and done felt either unnecessary or not explored enough (Canto Bight). Ultimately I liked the way the movie just completely subverted all expectations, starting with the moment after Luke takes the lightsaber from Rey. Sure, it had a bit of cheese, but it really reinforced the focus on the new characters, as a new trilogy should do.
And the brief reunion between Luke and Leia is probably the most emotional and dramatic bit of material in the entire SW canon, though admittedly moreso because of Carrie Fisher's passing.

6/7) The Force Awakens / Rogue One - sure, TFA is just a retread of ANH, but it was fun, introduced us to these new characters, and helped to wash some of the taint of the prequels away.

Rogue One I found to be entertaining. I took it as just a war movie set in the SW Universe and looking at it that way it pretty much succeeds at what it is trying to achieve. It wasn't perfect by any means, the characters don't get fully fleshed out, but there's enough there to work with for me to enjoy. If Tarkin's CG hadn't been so bad, that would have helped as well.

8) The Phantom Menace - Letting us see Jedi as the badasses they are for the first time really, though after repeated watching seeing all the unnecessary flash to the combat makes it seem a bit silly. However, also birthed Jar Jar Binks and started off the horribly executed comic relief that plagued the prequels. Jar Jar here and...

9) Attack of the Clones - ...C-3PO here. The movie would have been improved by a significant margin, in my opinion, had they just removed C-3PO from it entirely. Everything with him was just painful to watch, but mostly at the end in the droid assembly factory. Then there was the romance that felt completely forced when there was zero romantic chemistry apparent onscreen between the actors. Pepper in a bunch of other random elements that just didn't flow well and you are left with the worst movie in the Star Wars franchise.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
This is like rating Simpsons seasons, you can clearly see people's ages in the picks.
If you saw Phantom Menace and/or Ep1-3 pre-puberty, you either don't hate them or you even like them. Basically, they're kids movies and you don't fault them... not to mention it makes you young enough to have grown up on green screen backgrounds for movies and so summer blockbusters have always been cartoons to you.

If you're old enough to have been in puberty (I'm just marking puberty as the point where most of us start to realize there's good quality things and poor quality things. For instance, I used to think that some games were too hard or I just wasn't good at them before I realized there are bad games) when you saw the prequels, then usually you hate them, in part because they shit on what you liked as a kid and pander to your likes in all the wrong ways and the few ways they get it right, it's too much, too obvious, or over the top.
Also, if you prefer puppets to CGI, it's probably because you grew up on puppets instead of CGI.

It's like The Simpsons. You like up to a certain season, depending on your age, and maybe don't like the early stuff at all or much if you didn't grow up on it.

There's reasons to like both. Though for me, many more reasons to like the original Trilogy. I didn't hate The Last Jedi like a lot of people, but it felt like it took a lot of cues from the EU/Legends, and not in a good way.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Ravenbom said:
If you're old enough to have been in puberty (I'm just marking puberty as the point where most of us start to realize there's good quality things and poor quality things. For instance, I used to think that some games were too hard or I just wasn't good at them before I realized there are bad games) when you saw the prequels, then usually you hate them, in part because they shit on what you liked as a kid and pander to your likes in all the wrong ways and the few ways they get it right, it's too much, too obvious, or over the top.
Eh, I think that's a bit broad spectrum. I was young when I saw the prequels, I know they blow in terms of quality comparison to the main trilogy, and for episodes 1 and 2 I agree fully. But I kinda liked episode 3. Though, that may be just cause I think it's the better of the prequels. But, I do get a good kick out of it. If I recall correctly, I believe I saw the originals on VHS long before the prequels as well. As such, the list...

1. Rogue One
2. A New hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Empire Strikes Back
6. The Phantom Menace
7. The Force Awakens
8. Attack of the Clones
9. The Last Jedi

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
1) A New Hope
2) Return of The Jedi
3) The Empire Strikes Back
4) The Last Jedi
5) First half of The Force Awakens
6) The Battle of Scarif
7) Prequel memes
8) Mr. Plinkett's reviews
9) Laser Moon Awakens
10)The Friend Zone

Did I cover everything? Yeah, yeah I think that's the entirety of Star Wars covered right there.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Empire Strikes Back > New Hope > Return of The Jedi > KotOR2(best female character: Kreia Darth/Treya's to ever grace SW) > Phantom Menace > Attack of the Clones > Revenge of the Sith >> Rogue One
........TFA disqualified for horrid plagiarism
...........TLJ is just not Star Wars but decent action flick based on poorly written fanfic set in SW, it does foreshadow what Disney has planned for the universum, so... I'll just stop bothering with Disney like I stopped bothering with EA.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
A New Hope > uh... the other ones.

Listen, I like Star Wars just fine but apart from the first one the were never all that special to me. I could give a a ranking of the Fast and Furious movies before I can give you one of Star Wars. Most of them were basically decent, even the prequels were mostly watchable. All of them had a lot of really hokey writing and acting but then, I guess that's just what Star Wars is. But a New Hope was the only one that didn't have any of that franchise movie stuff that annoys me.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
1) Original Trilogy
2) Revenge
?) the rest... haven't seen The Last Jedi

Attack of the Clones firmly at the bottom.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I'm surprised so many people are ranking Revenge of the Sith so highly. I thought annoying, precocious child Anakin was far more bearable than angsty, emo, slayer of younglings Anakin. I liked Qui Gon and could understand why he wanted to train Anakin, but in the other two movies Annie's so obviously evil it just ruins the plot that everybody is stupid enough to tolerate his crap.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Jamcie Kerbizz said:
Empire Strikes Back > New Hope > Return of The Jedi > KotOR2(best female character: Kreia Darth/Treya's to ever grace SW)
No. MAYBE New Hope is higher but only because it started the whole thing. That's really about it. KotOR2 is the best Star Wars story I've ever seen, if a little complicated.

Mik Sunrider

Dec 21, 2013
1) Star Wars
2) ROTJ
3) ESB
4) TFA
5) RO
6) 1st Ewok movie
7) 2nd Ewok movie
8) The Holiday Special
9) Ride to Hell Retribution: the 1% (I know it is not a movie but still better then)
10) TLJ

Those other three ... things ... ain't worth the effort to even put on a list.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
1.)A New Hope
2.)Empire Strikes Back
3.)Rouge One
(3.5 Clone Wars Series)
4.)Return of the Jedi
5.)Revenge of the Sith
6.)Force Awakens
7.)Attack of the Clones
8.)Phantom Menace.

Haven't seen TLJ yet. Ask me in a few months.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
EDIT: I've seen TLJ now, so I'll fit it in as best as I can

[ol]
[li]Empire Strikes Back[/li]
[li]A New Hope[/li]
[li]The Last Jedi[/li]
[li]Return of the Jedi[/li]
[li]The Force Awakens[/li]
[li]Revenge of the Sith[/li]
[li]Rogue One[/li]
[li]The Phantom Menace[/li]
[li]Attack of the Clones[/li]
[/ol]

I've always had a tough time deciding if Empire is better than A New Hope, but the Lightsabre fight between Luke and Vader is definitely better than the scene with two old geezers poking at each other in ANH.

And truth be told, even as someone who loves the Star Wars movies, the first two are the only really good ones. The Last Jedi doesn't change that.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
1. A New Hope
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Last Jedi
7. The Phantom Menace
8. The Force Awakens
9. Attack of the Clones

The original trilogy obviously stand head and shoulders above the rest of the franchise. Empire and Jedi are still both awesome but A New Hope pips them both for being the film that had the biggest impact on a very young me and will forever be one of my favourite films full-stop.

Rogue One has some great world-building stuff (seriously, I love that dank city built on an asteroid right at the start, that's my kind of sci-fi design), the final act is brilliant and the fact that it's a proper war film makes it stand out to me. Revenge is the only good prequel, partly because it's sort of fun but mostly because it's hilarious - definitely one of those "so bad it's good" movies that I can't help but enjoy.

The Last Jedi was alright. Bit slow going though the final hour or so is amazing. A couple of the scenes in it are up there among the best moments in the film franchise. I love the themes of the movie and the fact that some people have gotten so sour about it has been great to chuckle at (equally it's easy to laugh at the people who seem to hold it as flawless, some how).

Phantom is boring. It's only worth anything because Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor do the best to save it, the final fight with Maul is ace and Duel of the Fates is a great track. Other than that it's a massively tedious affair. Could be worse though - it could be The Force Awakens. Every rewatch makes me dislike the film more. It's derivative, badly written and trading on name alone (not unlike the prequels). Abrams added absolutely nothing to the franchise and the fact he's coming back for IX fills me with an impending boredom. Also, nobody acted their parts well in TFA; almost the entire principal cast improved their games in TLJ thankfully.

Finally, Clones. It sucks.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Am I the only one who thought Attack of the Clones is better than the Phantom Menace?

Practical Effects and Real Sets can only do so much to alliviate a boring slog of a movie.

At least Attack of the Clones was more streamlined and structured and did not have its climax split into 4 seperate events.

And I prefer Emo teen Anakin than annoying kid Anakin.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
After careful consideration recently, I've decided I still only like the original trilogy, which descend in quality from the 1st, but they are all pretty good and fun to rewatch.

I didn't like the prequels at all. I was bored. Revenge was the best of a bad bunch.

I was soooo BORED by Rogue One. It didn't do anything to make me give a shit about the characters. Too much action, not enough of everything else, imo.

The Force Awakens feels like rehash of A New Hope to me (nostalgia pandering) and I didn't feel particularly captivated by The Last Jedi.