Ranking the MCU

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, recently, I saw Incredible Hulk, which means that I've now seen every film in the MCU. Hence, I thought I'd give my ranking of them, while seeing others as well.

In fairness, I will say that this is arguably a good time to do it as well, since Phase 3 ended, and likewise ending the "Infinity Saga." But if you want to point out that that's just opportunism to justify this thread existing at all, then yes, you're right about that as well.

Still, with that said:

23) The Avengers: Endgame

22) Iron Man 2

21) Thor

20) Thor: The Dark World

19) Captain America: The First Avenger

18) Ant-Man

17) The Incredible Hulk

16) The Avengers: Age of Ultron

15) The Avengers

14) The Avengers: Infinity War

13) Captain Marvel

12) Captain America: Civil War

11) Guardians of the Galaxy

10) Thor: Ragnarok

9) Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2

8) Iron Man

7) Iron Man 3

6) Doctor Strange

5) Black Panther

4) Captain America: The Winter Soldier

3) Ant-Man and the Wasp

2) Spider-Man: Homecoming

1) Spider-Man: Far From Home

Rate, rant, discuss.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I'm feeling particularly lazy today, so I honestly can't be arsed to think on how to rank those movies.
Instead, I'll ask myself a simple question: "do I think I might watch it again some day?"

Yes
Iron Man
Guardians of the Galaxy
Winter Soldier

No
The rest

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Dumpster-tier:
Ant-Man
Thor: The Dark World

Thrash-tier:
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Guardians of the Galaxy 1&2
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
Thor: Ragnarok

Meh-tier
Avengers: Endgame
Captain America: Civil War
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor

Decent ones:
Avengers
Captain America: The First Avenger
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Doctor Strange
Iron Man 3

Good ones:
Avengers: Infinity War
Iron Man

I haven't seen Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Ant-Man & Wasp, Spider-Man: Far From Home

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Won't see: Captain Marvel, The Avengers: Endgame, Black Panther
Haven't seen: The Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Spider-Man: Far From Home

Seen:
Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Thor, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The First Avenger, Ant-Man, The Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Avengers: Infinity War, Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2,

Best:
8) Guardians of the Galaxy

7) Iron Man 3

6) Iron Man 2

5) Iron Man

4) Captain America: Civil War

3) The Avengers

2) Doctor Strange

1) Thor: Ragnarok

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
1: Gardians of the galaxy 1
2: Infinity war
3: Captain america 2
4: Captain america 3

Everything else was average at best and terrible at worst.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
1. Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2
2. Infinity war
3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
4. Avengers
5. Thor: Ragnarok
6. Captain America: Winter Soldier

And I'm gonna have to throw the rest into the 'mediocre to bad' category, which I don't care to categorize. Also, I never saw Antman, or Antman and the Wasp, Doctor Strange, Black Panter, or Captain Marvel, since I decided after having sat through Thor: The Dark World to never watch another Marvel movie that looked generic (even more so than usual) from the outset, which all of these did.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Fun

All Captain Murica movies
Black Panther
Ultron
Dr Strange
Infinity War

Decent

Iron Man
Guardians of the Galaxy

Worthless
Endgame
Avengers
Iron Man 2/3
All Thor movies
All Ant Man movies
Spiderman Homecoming
Hulk
Guardians 2

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
That's a lot harder to say than for Star Wars. I mean, say what you want about Star Wars but so far all the Star Wars movies have been very different from each other. And I don't want to say that all MCU movies are the same but let's be honest here, tonally , visually and narratively there's some... let's call it significant overlap.

Ones that stand out:

The Guardians of the Galaxy movies are likeable in a "Space Opera by the way of Futurama" way.

Avengers Infinity War and Endgame tie the individual strands of the series together into something that's slightly greater than the sum of its part. Not much greater, but, you know.

Black Panther is the closest we're gonna get to an afrofuturist Science-Fiction movie. It's obviously written and directed people who have never lived in Africa and are basing it off borderline offensive stereotypes but an attempt was made.

The rest just sorta exist. When you watch one you know what you're gonna get and whether you'll like it or not.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Eh. Everything kinda melds together, there really isn't that much variation from one movie to the next. I guess I like the first Iron Man and the first Captain America, to a point. But somewhere down Phase 2 or whatever these movies boiled down to the same ethos, character, tone, style, rhythm and overall look. Nothing but color bubbles distinguishes one from the other. Say what you will about Star Wars, at least each trilogy has a distinctive identity (yes, even 7-8-9, for all its navel-gazing).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Love

All of the Captain America films
Black Panther
Avengers
Avengers Infinity War & Endgame
Thor 1 & 3
Ironman
Both Guardians films

Both Spiderman films
Dr. Strange
Ironman 3
Incredible Hulk

Hate
Ironman 2 - They wasted Mickey Rourke. Also, it was nothing but "Hey we're gonna make an Avengers movie!"; while wasting the viewers time.

Thor Dark World - Fuck this movie!

Avengers: Age of Ultron - This movie gets worse every year. Hate it even more.

Don't Care

Antman films
Captain Marvel

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Great
Winter Soldier
GotG
(Without these two movies, I would never be a fan of the MCU)
Infinity War

Good
Ragnarock
Civil War
GotG2
Endgame

Fine
Captain Marvel
Spidermans
Antmans
Iron Mans (number 1 is best)
Hulks
Black Panther
Ultron
Avengers 1
Doctor Strange
Thor 2

Nope
Thor

Blight on humanity
Captain America 1
(This movie turned me off the MCU for years)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Saw Captain Marvel recently and I found her way more charismatic on screen than any of Superman's actor's on screen. Not brilliant, but sass is still an improvement over the bland wholesome perfection Mary Sue that supes has been. I 100% believe there are unspoken, subconscious biases involved in people's perception between these two in film public reaction.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Neurotic Void Melody said:
Saw Captain Marvel recently and I found her way more charismatic on screen than any of Superman's actor's on screen. Not brilliant, but sass is still an improvement over the bland wholesome perfection Mary Sue that supes has been. I 100% believe there are unspoken, subconscious biases involved in people's perception between these two in film public reaction.
That, and the whole Brie Larson "controversy." People had it out for the film going into it.

That said, I don't know if I'd say Carol is more charismatic than Supes. I'm not saying that lack of charisma is bad per se - in this case, there's an in-universe reason why she keeps her emotions suppressed.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hawki said:
That, and the whole Brie Larson "controversy." People had it out for the film going into it.

That said, I don't know if I'd say Carol is more charismatic than Supes. I'm not saying that lack of charisma is bad per se - in this case, there's an in-universe reason why she keeps her emotions suppressed.
Completely forgot about that silly kerfuffle. They all just seem to fade pretty quickly into nothingness as time pushes on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:

Completely forgot about that silly kerfuffle. They all just seem to fade pretty quickly into nothingness as time pushes on.
Which shows pathetic, petty, fickle, and how little is going in these peoples lives. They're like Randy Marsh. Trying to make everything Serious Business, because they have no action in their life. It's and endless cycle of freak out and harass others over nothing, only to forget about it like nothing happened. It's the same problem in the video game industry too, but even worse.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Awesome:
- Guardians of the Galaxy [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjwzCrtK5G0]
- The Avengers
- The Avengers: Endgame
- Thor: Ragnarok
- Captain America: Civil War

Solid:
- The Avengers: Infinity War
- Iron Man
- Captain America: The First Avenger

Fine:
- Captain Marvel
- Spider-Man: Far From Home
- Ant-Man and the Wasp
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2

Meh:
- Spider-Man: Homecoming
- Thor
- Ant-Man
- The Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Black Panther
- Doctor Strange

Bad:
- Iron Man 2
- Iron Man 3
- Thor: The Dark World

Haven't seen:
- The Incredible Hulk

CoCage said:
Hate
Ironman 2 - They wasted Mickey Rourke. Also, it was nothing but "Hey we're gonna make an Avengers movie!"; while wasting the viewers time.
Yeah, Iron Man 2 is a 2-hour trailer for The Avengers.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
CoCage said:
Which shows pathetic, petty, fickle, and how little is going in these peoples lives. They're like Randy Marsh. Trying to make everything Serious Business, because they have no action in their life. It's and endless cycle of freak out and harass others over nothing, only to forget about it like nothing happened. It's the same problem in the video game industry too, but even worse.
Doesn't help certain online outlets and personalities thrive and benefit from stirring any old shit up for these people to feed off. Big monies in fueling Boomer bitterness. Even bigger monies in keeping that bitterness going till voting season.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I've been trying to think about how I would rank them. And there's just too much clutter, so I'll go with

Great

Black Panther
The Avengers
Iron Man
Guardians of the Galaxy

Good
(the rest of them with the exception of...)

Fine

Iron Man 2
Thor
Ant Man 2

Meh

Thor 2

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
CoCage said:
Hawki said:

I'm going to point out that these guys think they won by getting rid of the SJWness in the new Star Wars, got rid of females in Ghostbusters (i.e. cancelling the SJWs. But since it's SJWs, it's righteous, not canceling.), cancelled Voltron and has absolute proof no one saw Captain Marvel. So it's next.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
trunkage said:
cancelled Voltron
First I heard of that. My understanding is that VLD pretty much ended on its own terms, even though the ending is something many people dislike. And what SJWness was there about Voltron?