Ranking the Star Wars Movies

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So with Episode IX having come out, and given the current state of the franchise, I think it's safe to do this thread. If/when another Star Wars film is released, it's at least a long way off.

So, simple ranking. I'm not going to exclude any films, so you can throw in the holiday special in if you care to. For myself, I'm ranking every Star Wars film I've seen except Battle for Endor, which was so long ago I can't really rank it with any real objectivity.

So, on that note:

12) The Clone Wars
11) Attack of the Clones
10) Rogue One
9) The Rise of Skywalker
8) The Phantom Menace
7) The Force Awakens
6) Solo
5) The Last Jedi
4) The Empire Strikes Back
3) Revenge of the Sith
2) Return of the Jedi
1) A New Hope

Agree, disagree, rant, rate, discuss.

Or not.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
From best to worst:

New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
Last Jedi
Revenge of the Sith

-Powergap-

Solo
Phantom Menace
Force Awakens
Rise of Skywalker
Attack of the Clones

Haven't seen the Clone Wars movie, the Holiday Special or anything about Ewoks but I don't feel like I'm missing out on much, honestly.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Best to wurst

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
The Force Awakens
The Phantom Menace
Rogue One
Attack of the Clones
Last Jedi

Haven't seen Solo or RoS.
In general though, the other SW properties are better than the movies. Though that may come down to being more able to take the good bits and pieces instead of having to judge it on it's own. Like Rebels isn't very good, but it has good bits, including a really great bit with Obiwan and Maul.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Meh, episode 3 kinda fucked up my view of starwars as great so Im just going to say the Family Guy starwars series. Although I did have a lot of fun with the Last Jedi, like the most fun I've had with a starwars movie in years.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Worgen said:
Meh, episode 3 kinda fucked up my view of starwars as great so Im just going to say the Family Guy starwars series. Although I did have a lot of fun with the Last Jedi, like the most fun I've had with a starwars movie in years.
I'll take Episode III over any of the Family Guy "parodies" (more like plagiarism). Spaceballs is still the best Star Wars parody ever made.

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Rise of Skywalker
3. The Last Jedi
4. Return of the Jedi
5. A New Hope
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. Force Awakens
8. Rouge One
9. Phantom Menace
10. Attack of the Clones

I have no intention of seeing the Solo movie; it's a waste of my time. I don't have Disney+, so Mandolorian can wait on Blu Ray. I never saw the pilot movie for Clone Wars (3D), but the TV series & 2D shorts are better than the whole prequel trilogy, Solo, and Rouge One.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Lets see...

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Rogue One
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Phantom Menace
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. A New Hope
7. Attack of the Clones
8. The Holiday Special
9. Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
10. Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
11. Force Awakens
12. Solo
13. Rise of the Skywalker
14. Last Jedi

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
1. Rogue One
2. New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Last Jedi
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Empire Strikes Back
7. Solo
8. Rise of Skywalker
9. Phantom Menance
10. Attack of the Clones
11. Force Awakens

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Silentpony said:
Lets see...

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Rogue One
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Phantom Menace
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. A New Hope
7. Attack of the Clones
8. The Holiday Special
11. Force Awakens
12. Solo
14. Last Jedi
Hm, yeah, we can't forget the "lesser known" stuff... This list is pretty good. I would put "Solo" and "The Force Awakens" bit higher, "Rogue One" slightly lower (But still ok - best of the newest ones)...

also i can't really differentiate (and barely remember "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" - so weird, just have three scenes in my mind total from both of those movies)

Also switch "A New Hope" and "Phantom Menace"

"Last Jedi" was absolutely infuriating (second worst cinema experience i had in my life) and so i didn't see "Rise of Skywalker" yet.

But seriously the Christmas special is still down at the bottom.

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Return of the Jedi
3. A New Hope
4. Phantom Menace
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Rogue One
7. Attack of the Clones
8. Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
9. Solo
10. Force Awakens
11. Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
13. The Holiday Special
14. Last Jedi

Not seen: "Rise of Skywalker", "Clone Wars the Movie"

So do we rate the games and the series too?
Good: Jedi Knight (1+2), Knight of the Old Republic (1+2), Dark Forces, Tie Fighter
Clone Wars (2D), The Mandalorian

Bad: a lot...

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
For me its

1. A New Hope
2. Empire
3. The Force Awakens
4. Rogue One
5. The Last Jedi
6. The Rise of Skywalker
7. Return of the Jedi
8. Solo
9. Revenge of the Sith
10. Phantom Menace
11. Attack of the Clones

But for me there's basically no difference from 2 - 7 so I could make an argument to switch any of those really. And even though Attack of the Clones was terrible... the only time I've seen it (on release day) was the second biggest Star Wars 'event' I ever attended. It was the first entirely digitally shot and displayed movie they showed in my hometown. Our town's at the time largest employer, Boeing, had donated a digital projector to the theater for the event and the party was stellar. Awful movie, and the projector glitched out a few times, but a great time was had by all.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I'd make a list, but I honestly don't feel like grading/ranking stuff anymore. It's a pain.
So I'll just keep it simple: do I feel like maybe watching it again sometime? Yes or no?

Yes
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back

No
Everything else

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
1. The Last Jedi (yes, really)
2. Empire Strikes Back (very close second)
3. A New Hope
4. The Force Awakens
5. Rise of Skywalker
6. Return of the Jedi
7. Solo (decent)
8. Rogue One (not a fan)
9. Phantom Menace
10. Attack of the Clones
11. Revenge of the Sith

I know I'm probably in the minority here but I think the prequels got progressively worse with each iteration. Yes, Phantom Menace silly and awkard but holy shit Clones and Sith are bad, overloaded with CGI, bad acting, ridiculous fan service, atrocious dialogue and confounding stories that fail to deliver the overall aim of the prequel trilogy -- showing how and why Anakin turned to the dark side and destroyed the Jedi order. There was so much potential there, and it was wasted.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Summerstorm said:
Silentpony said:
Lets see...

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Rogue One
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Phantom Menace
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. A New Hope
7. Attack of the Clones
8. The Holiday Special
11. Force Awakens
12. Solo
14. Last Jedi
Hm, yeah, we can't forget the "lesser known" stuff... This list is pretty good. I would put "Solo" and "The Force Awakens" bit higher, "Rogue One" slightly lower (But still ok - best of the newest ones)...

also i can't really differentiate (and barely remember "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" - so weird, just have three scenes in my mind total from both of those movies)

Also switch "A New Hope" and "Phantom Menace"

"Last Jedi" was absolutely infuriating (second worst cinema experience i had in my life) and so i didn't see "Rise of Skywalker" yet.

But seriously the Christmas special is still down at the bottom.

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Return of the Jedi
3. A New Hope
4. Phantom Menace
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Rogue One
7. Attack of the Clones
8. Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
9. Solo
10. Force Awakens
11. Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
13. The Holiday Special
14. Last Jedi

Not seen: "Rise of Skywalker", "Clone Wars the Movie"

So do we rate the games and the series too?
Good: Jedi Knight (1+2), Knight of the Old Republic (1+2), Dark Forces, Tie Fighter
Clone Wars (2D), The Mandalorian

Bad: a lot...
The reason I put A New Hope so low is because the acting really is atrocious. Mark and Harrison are just terrible. Their lines are horrible, they sound awkward and like they're doing this as a college favor. Its just awkward compared to the other movies.
and I think the Darth Maul duel is the best ever done in a Star Wars movies. The newest trilogy are just horrible - they feel more like Game of Thrones 'just stab them in the dick' fights than what are supposed to be Samurai western duels.

Solo I couldn't get into because what's his face is just terrible as Han. And what's his face as Lando was equally bad. They come off like they can't really believe they're in a Star Wars movie. Hell, Childish Gambino felt more like he was in a Community spiff episode of star wars than a serious young Lando.

As for the Christmas episode, its better than all the new trilogy and Solo 'cause at least it didn't fuck up the established canon for cheap twists. Like Bea Arthur singing about closing the Cantina is goofy, but at least they didn't turn Luke Skywalker into a bitter, cowardly, hopeless old curmudgeon who has given up on fighting the Empire after failing to kill his nephew.
It just turned him into a Ken Doll

Aug 31, 2012
Okay...

1. A New Hope
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Last Jedi

5...the 3 prequels, I have little memory of them.

I can't quite decide if I would put Rise of Skywalker above the prequels or below. It was vaguely entertaining to start with, but I'd really had enough by a certain point
Luke's force ghost reappering and catching his lightsaber
, the film really sledged downhill after that for me. Some parts had me grimacing.

Not seen The Force Awakens, although I quite like the Last Jedi, so would probably get 4th or 5th place

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Well, the originals are still the best. That has never changed and nor is it likely too. I like the sequel trilogy more than the prequels, but the prequels have the better expanded universe with the as of yet unequaled "The Clone Wars".

Rogue One and Solo I felt were both excellent side stories in the universe, although I don't blame anyone who looked at a movie about Han Solo that didn't star Harrison Ford and ask "What is the point of this?"

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Rogue One
3. A New Hope
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Empire Strikes Back
6. The Force Awakens
7. Rise of Skywalker
8. The Phantom Menace
9. Rise of Skywalker
10. Attack of the Clones
11. The Last Jedi

Still have yet to see Solo. I imagine it'll probably be put somewhere between 6-10 or so

Oct 22, 2011
1. Empire Strikes Again
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Force Awakens
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Last Jedi
7. Rogue One
8. Solo
9. The Phantom Menace
10. Attack of the Clones

PENDING - Rise of the Skywalker

Planned to watch it in my local cinema on thursday, but the only play it dubbed. Might see it when it's out on discs/streaming platforms then.