Rapper Outrage: GTA V Stole My Beats, Cease And Desist

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
On one hand, $ 4.271 is a bit low for a game everyone knows is gonna move billions of dollars.
On the other hand, Daz Dillinger's music is crap (Chirst, that name alone) and I personally wouldn't even pay a nickle for it.

Is it possible to side against both parties?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Desert Punk said:
lacktheknack said:
Antitonic said:
Couldn't they just patch it out if need be? It'd be like a sort of corporate gaslighting.

"Our client claims you stole his music. Is this true?"
"Well, I don't see it here anywhere, do you?"
"YOU DID IT, I SWEAR YOU DID! SOMEONE PLEASE BELIEVE ME!"
This.

The guy seems to think he has them over a barrel with "Pay me good cash, or destroy all unsold copies". He doesn't. If push comes to shove, he's only going to destroy all his free publicity.

I'm not saying that Rockstar is in the right, but sometimes, you have to work with what you have. This guy isn't doing that.
They cant patch it out.

Not all consoles are hooked up to the internet, thus not all would get the patch, so they would still have to destroy unsold copies that contain the stolen music and print up new copies without the music on them.
Touche.

However, as others have said, I doubt that Rockstar is actually so stupid as to ask for music rights, be rejected, and then use them anyways. They aren't suicidal. There's probably a misunderstanding involving the label.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I have nothing to really add to this, except:

Karloff said:
[a="/news/view/128605-Rapper-Outrage-GTA-V-Stole-My-Beats-Cease-
Source: TMZ[/a]
Be careful with your sources. TMZ is just as much as a tabloid as The National Enquirer is, and you know how much sensationalism and yellow journalism these editorials like to put in their articles.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Yosharian said:
This story is lacking crucial context, i.e. how much the other artists got paid for their songs.
It doesn't matter how much the other artists got paid for their songs.

You either have a licensing deal or you don't. How much you paid for it is utterly irrelevant.

If Rockstar doesn't have a license to use his music they'd be in the wrong even if they offered a billion but got rejected.
If Rockstar does have a license to use his music they'd be in the right even if they offered a single cent and got accepted.

Apr 28, 2008
If this is true, come on Rockstar. GTAV made you a billion dollars. Give the man some damn money.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Rockstar is probably going to respond soon with "But you accepted the deal, we have it in paper". Only a matter of time I reckon.

nexus

May 30, 2012
I don't believe this at all, Rockstar wouldn't let this happen.

What is more likely is that the musician is about to find out he doesn't even own the song, and the record label he did business with owns all rights to it.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
So by the look of this thread, rappers have no right to complain if people steal their music, because rap sucks anyway and Rockstar can basically do whatever they want because they are Rockstar?

Not sure i can agree on this, if he said no and they took it anyway, i'm totally on his side. But if everything went by the book, he doesn't have much of a case.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Warlokk said:
More than likely this guy has no legal ownership of the songs, R* probably got the license from the record label that does. If that's the case, this guy has no leg to stand on, and is just crying for cash. I'm sure it'll all come out eventually, but this looks like an attention grab.
nexus said:
I don't believe this at all, Rockstar wouldn't let this happen.

What is more likely is that the musician is about to find out he doesn't even own the song, and the record label he did business with owns all rights to it.
This was my first thought. Rockstar isn't stupid, they wouldn't include a song after being explicitly rejected without finding some way to do so legally.

P.S. Thanks

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
Odds are this will be settled out of court, with Rockstar handing him a disproportionately large wad of cash. And I doubt there will be any hard feelings.

If this guy is right, then Rockstar screwed up somehow. It probably wasn't intentional. They run a business, which means that, in cases where they don't have a leg to stand on, they'll own up to it and pay the fine, so to speak, before making sure they never make this mistake again.

Lawsuits like these are mostly a matter of principle. Mr. Dillinger doesn't seriously want all the unsold games to be recalled/destroyed, he's just using that as an ultimatum. He's going to ask for more money than what he believes he deserves, because that's just how things work--when a company screws up, you hit them hard, to deter anyone else from screwing up. And Rockstar will go along with it, and be sincerely apologetic, because that's the price of running a business.

This is all assuming that both of them are fair and rational, of course.

darron13

Jul 30, 2008
As much as I...dislike...rap, which is a shame because it feels like 70% of the stations in the game are made up of it, if this is true this guy deserves to be in some way compensated.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
MrBaskerville said:
So by the look of this thread, rappers have no right to complain if people steal their music, because rap sucks anyway and Rockstar can basically do whatever they want because they are Rockstar?

Not sure i can agree on this, if he said no and they took it anyway, i'm totally on his side. But if everything went by the book, he doesn't have much of a case.
Seconded. It's pretty disgusting that people think this guy deserves to be screwed over or that he's more likely to be bullshitting just because he's a rap artist. I personally don't give a crap about the genre either, but come on people, show a little class.

OT: If we're going to take this at face value, then Rockstar is clearly in the wrong here. To quote the common fucking sense wisdom of someone else on this thread:

Hagi said:
You either have a licensing deal or you don't. How much you paid for it is utterly irrelevant.

If Rockstar doesn't have a license to use his music they'd be in the wrong even if they offered a billion but got rejected.
If Rockstar does have a license to use his music they'd be in the right even if they offered a single cent and got accepted.
That said, it's not impossible that we don't know the full story, and hey, maybe someone at Rockstar just fucked up and they'll admit it. We'll just have to wait and see.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
This sounds more like "I took there original offer, saw they have made over a billion and now I want more".

I'm not that into rap but I've never heard of this guy, so wouldn't a bit of a "no-namer" leap at the chance to be featured in a game of gta calibre? Then when he sees the green rolling into Rockstar pockets he thinks "why not stake a claim? Worse case scenario is I get nothing, best case, I get more cash".

Just my initial impressions.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
I seriously doubt a company as big as rockstar would intentionally rip somebody off on copyright, even more so considering this is the first time hearing this across all of the gta games. Someone had brought up the possibility that he does not actually own the music and a label owns it. The label could have sold rockstar the rights to use the music legally and he has no clue. Its also possible that this guy is just a broke, previously not really famous rapper trying to gain some quick publicity and cash.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
If it is true, Rockstar should just disable this song then. It's not like there's any diffirent between rap "artists" anyway. Hell, would be awesome if you could disable individual station just for the sake of not having to hear music you don't like.

Anyway, we'll see what the outcome is, allthough it sounds like he's just seeking attention.