Rapper Takes on Super Mario Land's Oddities

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I approve of this. It's essentially video game fun with music. And I say GO AHEAD and do Comix Zone. That game's a classic.

Flamingpenguin

Nov 10, 2009
I dunno. I usually hate rap, but differences aside, I actually like this. Especially the ending(not the burp).

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Loved it. I always enjoy it when rappers branch out into video game territory. It shows great creativity and a fond appreciation of the games.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
At first I hated it. I hated hated hated it. Then it started to grow on me. Now I love it. Thanks, Escapist.

B-lockdown080

Nov 5, 2008
Mstrswrd said:
I'm just sad that Duane and Brando are no longer a team. Everyone remember the Epic Megaman 2 rap? Yeah, that was both of them. Now, that'll never happen again.

This is still awesome, though.
Whyd they split?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
You realize that he used to rap with Brando under "The adventures of duane and brando"? They recently split up, but they've made music for like a year.

This article is not news at all.

Or perhaps I should ask, why was this article not written a year ago when they debuted?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
AboveUp said:
Mstrswrd said:
I'm just sad that Duane and Brando are no longer a team. Everyone remember the Epic Megaman 2 rap? Yeah, that was both of them. Now, that'll never happen again.

They're not together anymore? NOOOOOooo!
tsu-money said:
Mstrswrd said:

What happened to them? The Mega Man rap was their best work IMO.
B-lockdown080 said:
Mstrswrd said:

Whyd they split?
There was a lot of reasons.
One is that they had some creative differences; brando wanted the songs to be more focused on music and duane on the lyrics.

The actual reasons are complicated; Duane's wife cheated on him and Brando knew about it. So bam already he is emotionally unstable, then the mudslinging starts and Duane accuses brando of being just generally a douche. Then Brando wanted to still relase the CD, duane wanted him to either strip all his vocals from it or release it for free, as he was "tired of brando banking off all his work and never paying him".

And the list of colourful comments go on and on.

Though in the end I think they parted on somewhat good terms.

Spekter068

Sep 4, 2009
Flamingpenguin said:
I dunno. I usually hate rap, but differences aside, I actually like this. Especially the ending(not the burp).
Rap's not all that bad- I think it's more creative than death metal, overall, though both of them have some extremely tired components. The only rap I like is Rage Against the Machine, which only sort of counts, and the stuff that's intended to be funny.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Flamingpenguin said:
The burp I was not a fan of either.

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
Not really a fan of rap myself, or C64/demoscene/tracker music, but I found this to be alright. Nostalgia is a good cashcow, and I've got a soft spot for the Captain Obvious style humor.

"Mega man, I hope you're ready to die! My spaceship shoots three balls at a time!"

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Duane and Brando are AWESOME SAUCEUM. They aren't working together anymore?

PS: Haters be hatin, Hater's be nothin but shit >:|

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
Haaaahahaha, I did not expect this article to be about Duane when I clicked on it. I, too, lament the loss of the Duane and BrandO team.

Edit:
Spekter068 said:
Flamingpenguin said:
Rap's not all that bad- I think it's more creative than death metal, overall, though both of them have some extremely tired components. The only rap I like is Rage Against the Machine, which only sort of counts, and the stuff that's intended to be funny.
This.

I'm a black guy that grew up in upper middle class white suburbia. My favorite band is Alice in Chains. Most of the "rap" I listen to is either RatM, MSI or part of a song sampled by Saskrotch.

You have no idea what it's like to have everyone assume your favorite genre of music based on your skin color. Hell, there was this one time in high school when the student teacher that was assigned to our English class was in charge of the lesson for the day. He was trying to make a point about something, but I really don't remember what it was. What I do remember was him turning to me in the middle of it and asking me who my favorite rapper was. I just kinda sat there said, "Uh, I don't really listen to rap. If I had to name someone, it'd be mc chris, I guess," and he sat there for a second with this look on his face like that was not the answer he needed to get his point across. Ironically enough, I actually kinda felt sorry for him. I mean, he was a really nice guy and I know he didn't mean anything by it.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
This is brilliant.

This game was actually my very first Mario game, back on my Gameboy that was about the size of two house bricks side by side...ah, memories!

As for the song itself, I think its really well done, kudos to Duane.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
What's really bizarre is that there was already officially-licensed Super Mario Land hip hop in 1993. Go check out Super Mario Compact Disco. It's mostly atrocious, but it occasionally has its moments, and sometimes when it's bad it gets bad enough to be good, or at least funny.