Rare Atari 2600 Game Sells for $31,000

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rare Atari 2600 Game Sells for $31,000

A man who learned that he had one of only thirteen known copies in existence of rare Atari 2600 game Air Raid has won big to the tune of $31,000.

What would you do if you read a story on CNN about some of the rarest games in existence, and then realized that you had one of them in your garage? That was what happened to Tanner Sandlin of Austin, TX, whose discovery that he had the thirteenth known copy of rare Atari 2600 game Air Raid [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99676-Rare-Air-Raid-Cartridge-and-Box-Unearthed] made headlines earlier this month.

Sandlin's copy of Air Raid was all the more valuable for two reasons: One, he was the original owner of the game, having paid "between $5 and $10" for it in the mid-1980s - all the other copies are in the hands of people who acquired the game from a secondhand source. Two, his copy still had its original box - the only one known to exist anywhere in the world.

Last Sunday, Sandlin's Air Raid sold for $31,600, the second-highest price ever paid for any video game - behind the $41,000+ copy of Stadium Events for the NES [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98753-Ultra-Rare-NES-Cartridge-Sells-for-41-000] from earlier this year.

Ironically, the only reason Sandlin recalls still having Air Raid wasn't because it was so good, but because it was so awful - when he and his friends used to trade and lend each other games all the time, they always returned Air Raid to him because it was so awful. Of course, he told CNN [http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/wayoflife/04/13/game.sells.for.thousands/index.html], he's not complaining now.

The eBay auction for Air Raid started at $0.50, made it to $14,600 with five minutes to go, and then sharply spiked to the final price of $31,000 at the last second. Sandlin told CNN that he wasn't sure what he wanted to do with his new windfall, only that he wanted to get something tangible, "something he could point at it and say, 'I bought that with a video game!'"

(CNN [http://www.mentalfloss.com/])

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
Wow thats truly amazing. One of the rarest games ever and the amount of money people will shell out for it too. Congratz to the man who made the money.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Homes dont even sell for that now days...

EDIT: it started at 50 cents?! this reminds me of the red paperclip dude.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
So if i had that and sold it i could have bought A GODDAMN CAR for what its worth

gosh i hope at least on of my SNES games is valuable

Woodscare

of Awesometon
Sep 18, 2009
Thats insane, Congrats on the getting so much for it.
Now if one of my games could sell that high

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
Commander Breetai said:
Brad Shepard said:
Homes dont even sell for that now days...
Um...Show me anywhere on earth you can get a home for $31,000.
Middlesbrough. in fact, you could buy two terrace houses for that.

This makes me really hope that my snes and all my snes games (including the scope) are goignt to be worth something one day

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Goes to show what we might have lying around ad junk could be worth so much!

Good on him! That cash will be well spent, I hope lol

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
This type of thing is why I longer sell any games I have.

But wow! Lucky dude. To have the last known copy of a rare game and the only known box to boot. That really is a textbook example of "right place, right time!"

I wish one of my games would be worth that much.....

Arfreid

Aug 13, 2009
Sooo... wait, a rare game that wasn't even a good game is worth that much after all those years? Makes me wonder about games like ET and Shaq-Fu...

*shivers*

Congratulations to the guy who made all that money though, I am pretty sure that was one in a lifetime opportunity

Christemo said:
henritje said:
I wonder what the value of ET is?
whoever accepts probably gets 100$ instead of paying them.
And in the end, reality is stranger than fiction... I would hold on to that cartridge if I were you.