Rare, Molyneux Wanted Handheld Kinect Controller

cool8man

Aug 12, 2010
For the games that many of us are used to, I just don't think there's anything that will be more accurate than pushing buttons and moving a d-pad/control stick.
Depends upon the game. I'm more likely to buy a racing game or sports game if it supports Kinect than if it doesn't. I would much rather be swinging the bat and throwing the pitch than pressing buttons for those activities. Pressing buttons and pushing sticks is not as much fun as actually doing the motion yourself. I would never buy a bowling game that was played with a video game controller for instance, but I would have a blast bowling with Kinect.

Other game genres remain to be seen. We haven't even seen anyone attempt to do most game genres with Kinect so it seems a little bit premature to right off the sensor's potential. A survival horror game could be very good with Kinect. And if not, if it's not good for most existing genres I don't think it really matters since the excitement of Kinect is for the new game genres and gameplay it will create rather than what it recreates. The console game industry has been very stagnant and could use some serious shaking up.

The hardcore games media bias against Kinect is stupid, juvenile, and pointless.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
I had the idea last night that they should sell with the Natal/Kinect two sticks that register with the camera on each end, and that way you can more accurately make the shape of the gun, or what-have-you.

They wouldn't necessarily be controllers. If anything they are more tools to better use the controller-less environment. And it makes sense.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
As it said, that will limit it's applications. I don't care how good it will be, it won't be sensative enough. Maybe the will give you a device with each game? How is shooting going to work? A menu? Pausing?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Honestly I feel the same as their initial thoughts. Move looks more appealing to me right now because you get the camera (although less advanced) and the controller as well. But who knows, Kinect might really surprise me like it seems to have done for Andreas.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Thinking back about the removed/delayed Kinect features for Fable III, I can just picture Molyneux arguing with the Kinect team screaming "And what am I supposed to do with this?" It makes me wonder what Molyneux and the like had in mind for Kinect with a controller. I would bet a lot more than dance sims....

Without having a means to input specific directions through a controller device, I see the functional abilities of any game being restricted to less advanced or precise overall control. It cannot even be properly integrated with many games as an ancillary feature, similar to the sixaxis controller in some games. With Fable III for instance, how could you do motion-action X when you're sitting on the couch with a controller, without having to get up, have a perfectly clear path between you and the Kinect camera (no automons, coffee tables, ect.)? It would not even be convenient to hold the controller and do weird leg/arm flails because you could either hit a button or the detection would be limited to very simple movements.
Danzaivar said:
Could you not just hold the controller with your right hand and just use the buttons on that, if needs be? I'm quite fond of the 'no controller' concept they have as a standard.
At its present state, the Kinect's only controller option would be as you described, which could be rather unwieldy not only because of the 360 controller's design, but the movements that the Kinect requires for detection. At that point though, what would be the harm of designing a proper controller for the Kinect? Not that I'm discounting that idea as I have also thought about that premise. My only concern would be that somewhere, between the motion sensing and having to wave the controller (which was not originally designed for that), there would be a compromise that hinders the functionality.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Surely developers can use Kinect in conjunction with regular controllers? For example, with Forza, keeping the head tracking, etc, but control the car itself with a proper controller?

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
though I would think that some developers will incorporate the Xbox 360 controller into the experience at some point. Only once Kinect gets out into the public for a while will we know for sure.
thats what I was thinking as well. as far as I can tell theres no reason you couldnt use a game that used kinect with a 360 controller for movement, similar to the move. that to me gives it an edge over move because its more versatile. i doubt i will buy either one though.

SelectivelyEvil13 said:
At that point though, what would be the harm of designing a proper controller for the Kinect?
I think the reason they didnt design a control for it is already stated in the article. if they would have designed it with a controller than nobody would be using it in the way that the developers are now. if it used a controller plus the camera I dont think there would be enough to distinguish it from the move and wii.

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
Why not just add kinect features to normal controller based games. Like little gimicky things at first like in a FPS kick or punch for a melee attack while playing the game normally or use kinect actions for survival horror puzzles. I'm there's more things that could be done that I can't think of. I think kinect has a lot more possibilities if developers are creative enough.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
I think by controller, they just meant like a remote control for other stuff, not for everything.
So far though, seems only Molyneux is doing anything good for Kinect in making it well, good, so I have to side with him. Fable 3 is the only actual game using Kinect at all. The rets are just tutorials basically.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Riku said:
I'm glad they decided to get rid of a controller. As Andreas states "it's just a crutch really" and it is.

We have been used to it for 20 years now, as this was standard. I don't know why there is such uproar in this market.
Mobile phones and computers have advanced rapidly and these now incorporate touch, voice and sometimes even movement-based functions and no one bats an eyelid.

I know that gaming is a more interactive medium with what is essentially a harder-core support structure, yet I for one will love the chance to be able to immerse myself in a game with motion controls.

What Kinect (and the Xbox360) needs is 3D + blu-ray support, a nice 3DTV and then with Kinect you have an immersive experience right there all ready.

It needs hard-core games, yes. This is a fact and I do look forward to the day til we get the likes of Halo (or a similar epic sci-fi FPS) with Kinect controls.

Movement may be a bit hard (yet not impossible) to incorporate but shooting would be a dream.
It would be exactly as if you were aiming yourself.
How will I shoot with a controller free control system? More importantly, how will I even walk? March in place? I do like this kind of technology but these issues need to be worked out before it becomes viable. Besides, in a shooting game your character carries a gun like anyone would in real life if they wanted to shoot someone. How does a controller free control system accomodate this? I guess I could hold my hands in a posistion I would hold a gun in, but that seems even less immersive than a controller.

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
I tried Dance Central at PAX, and not dealing with a DDR mat or controller was great. Both during the song and navigating the menus, the system kept up with my movements. While dancing there's a tiny silhouette of you with auras showing where your hands are, and I never noticed it lagging behind my flailing.

Not all games work well with all control schemes, so as long as developers aren't trying to shoehorn games into the Kinect roster that don't belong there, I'm fine with some hands-free games. You wouldn't play DDR with a controller, so we shouldn't expect to play FPS or serious fighting games with Kinect. A quality space-combat RTS paying homage to "Ender's Game" would be amazing, though.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Question. How without buttons is (what game I would imagine is going to happen) Tiger Woods going to know if I'm doing a practice swing or a normal swing? On the Wiimote I hold B for a normal swing, I would imagine Sony will do similar, but how will Kinect know?

That cropped up in my head during this article.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
archvile93 said:
Riku said:
I'm glad they decided to get rid of a controller. As Andreas states "it's just a crutch really" and it is.

We have been used to it for 20 years now, as this was standard. I don't know why there is such uproar in this market.
Mobile phones and computers have advanced rapidly and these now incorporate touch, voice and sometimes even movement-based functions and no one bats an eyelid.

I know that gaming is a more interactive medium with what is essentially a harder-core support structure, yet I for one will love the chance to be able to immerse myself in a game with motion controls.

What Kinect (and the Xbox360) needs is 3D + blu-ray support, a nice 3DTV and then with Kinect you have an immersive experience right there all ready.

It needs hard-core games, yes. This is a fact and I do look forward to the day til we get the likes of Halo (or a similar epic sci-fi FPS) with Kinect controls.

Movement may be a bit hard (yet not impossible) to incorporate but shooting would be a dream.
How will I shoot with a controller free control system? More importantly, how will I even walk? March in place? I do like this kind of technology but these issues need to be worked out before it becomes viable. Besides, in a shooting game your character carries a gun like anyone would in real life if they wanted to shoot someone. How does a controller free control system accomodate this? I guess I could hold my hands in a posistion I would hold a gun in, but that seems even less immersive than a controller.
I think initially there will be the need to have an on-rails type of shooter/whatever until the devs can figure out a way of pure movement.

Kinect does have voice controls, so if you wanted to fire or switch weapons then for example you could shout at the game 'Grenade' and a grenade would be selected and then you could move your arm to imitate a throw (with possibilities of bowling a grenade, lobbing or arching a throw for example) and then other weapons would follow suit.

With a gun, then im sure the Kinect would be able to instruct you to hold your hands in a manner to imitate a gun (so it picks up movement) and then be able to pick up a trigger-like movement with your finger to fire.

obisean said:
Question. How without buttons is (what game I would imagine is going to happen) Tiger Woods going to know if I'm doing a practice swing or a normal swing? On the Wiimote I hold B for a normal swing, I would imagine Sony will do similar, but how will Kinect know?

As I just stated, with voice controls you would be able to say 'Practice swing' to enable a practice swing mode and then 'Normal Swing' to enable a real swing mode

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Riku said:
archvile93 said:
Riku said:

I think initially there will be the need to have an on-rails type of shooter/whatever until the devs can figure out a way of pure movement.

Kinect does have voice controls, so if you wanted to fire or switch weapons then for example you could shout at the game 'Grenade' and a grenade would be selected and then you could move your arm to imitate a throw (with possibilities of bowling a grenade, lobbing or arching a throw for example) and then other weapons would follow suit.

With a gun, then im sure the Kinect would be able to instruct you to hold your hands in a manner to imitate a gun (so it picks up movement) and then be able to pick up a trigger-like movement with your finger to fire.

obisean said:

As I just stated, with voice controls you would be able to say 'Practice swing' to enable a practice swing mode and then 'Normal Swing' to enable a real swing mode
Your ideas for buttons don't seem like very good ideas to me. As I've already said, not having some kind of plastic in my hand when firing a gun is less immersive than a controller since last time a checked soldiers aren't equipped with invisable firearms. I also doubt the kinect will be able to recognize such fine movements like a trigger pull reliably, if at all. And shouting out grenade to throw one? Yeah because if I shout out fork, a fork will jump into my hand. Sounds less immersive to me since at least I don't really think about pushing a button (unless I can't remember which button to press :) ) and shouting commands are very jarring.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Megacherv said:
Ahh, you see, the Wii's motion control pisses me off a lot with things like having to be onstantly pointing at the screen, or the delay, or the having to pay extra for the Wii Motion Plus (which I believe is now bundled with new consoles anyway, so that's alright).

The PS Move seems a lot more convenient (powered by built in li-ion battery), and fixes all those niggles (detection done from camera rather than controller, no delay).

And there's Time Crisis on the PS3, because I'm a huge rail shooter fanboy, and Time Crisis would be my favourite.
First thing, I also love Time Crisis and I one day hope to have one of the arcade machines in my home.

But, I haven't seen enough of the Move to even say if it will be a better choice than the Wii. While I agree that it could be more convenient, I somehow think "those niggles" you speak of may not all be gone.

I've been keeping up with Kinect and Move and as of right now, I'm not totally impressed, (which sucks because when I originally heard about them I wanted them both).
I'm going to have a wait and see attitude before/if I buy either.