Rare Planning Natal Killer Instinct?

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
The one thing I hate about some games for Nintendo systems is the need everyone has to utilize the gimmicky control schemes in games where they do not belong.

The touch screen is right at home in most DS games, but some few I have played are better controlled with the buttons, yet they insist on making you grab the styles and make a few movements on the screen for no adequately explainable reason.

The Wii can be even worse. Having you switch between holding the controller sideways, and then flipping it around randomly to perform actions that feel like they where added simply to give you a reason to flip around the controller like a spaz.

The motion controls and the dual screen of each of these systems provides for some fun and unique control setups, but it does not need to be used simply because it is there.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Cid SilverWing said:
cononking said:
Killer Instinct was one of my favourite SNES games. However, RARE not being the company it once was, I fear for the updated version. Look what happened to Perfect Dark.
This.

The devs and M$ are both going to ruin this sequel.
Amazing, you've discovered that the letter S looks like a dollar sign. Well frickin' done, get in line.

Anyway this is a terrible idea. Natal has always been a terrible idea. Didn't anybody learn anything from the Sega "Activator?

Video games should not rely on the idea of translating all movements of the human body, especially fighting games that rely on combos and stuff. I mean how the hell do you body language a hadoken, for example? Do you just keep doing the motion? does that even really work? Lord help anybody trying to mime out a hurricane kick (I know i'm speaking in Street Fighter terms but stick with me).

The Wii works as it is because you still have a controller. You still have some sort of tactile connection to the game. With Natal you're just every single person who's ever seen the wall of camcorders and monitors at an electronics store: a complete goofball. If you want to put us in VR, Microsoft, then make actual VR. Make a full-fledged 360-degree experience. don't just put it on one monitor and expect the blanks to somehow get filled.

Furthermore since Rare has failed to make a single good game since leaving Nintendo, the odds of failure are extremely high.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
nilcypher said:
and how it would have to do something different with the franchise if it were to revisit the franchise.
It really wouldn't though. I don't mind seeing what they can do with this, but at the same time, is it necessary on this, and not a new IP?

manaman said:
The one thing I hate about some games for Nintendo systems is the need everyone has to utilize the gimmicky control schemes in games where they do not belong.

The touch screen is right at home in most DS games, but some few I have played are better controlled with the buttons, yet they insist on making you grab the styles and make a few movements on the screen for no adequately explainable reason.

The Wii can be even worse. Having you switch between holding the controller sideways, and then flipping it around randomly to perform actions that feel like they where added simply to give you a reason to flip around the controller like a spaz.

The motion controls and the dual screen of each of these systems provides for some fun and unique control setups, but it does not need to be used simply because it is there.
Wrong topic.

Aura Guardian said:
I thought Nintendo kept the Killer Instinct name/ip thing. Dammit. Oh well.
No they don't retain any of them, I believe money exchanged hands in order for all of the Rare titles to end up on the 360, save for GoldenEye (too many cooks/companies spoil the broth/deal, with Activision being a part of it too).

AceDiamond said:
Furthermore since Rare has failed to make a single good game since leaving Nintendo, the odds of failure are extremely high.
And this is pretty much my thoughts exactly. I really don't have any faith in Rare, as they've just been Microsoft's slave since they left Nintendo and haven't created a new IP since then (Kameo doesn't count, that's been in development since the GameCube era).

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
ChromeAlchemist said:
Wrong topic.

How? The majority of the posts where eager to slander Rare, bash the 360, or bash the games.

I responded to the topic which was about the possibility of Rare developing Killer Instinct for use with Natal. I responded by basically saying I hope they are not doing just for the sake of doing it and it can be pulled off effectively.

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
After what Rare did to Banjo-Kazooie, I can see where this is going... down the crapper.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
AceDiamond said:
Cid SilverWing said:
cononking said:
Killer Instinct was one of my favourite SNES games. However, RARE not being the company it once was, I fear for the updated version. Look what happened to Perfect Dark.
This.

Amazing, you've discovered that the letter S looks like a dollar sign. Well frickin' done, get in line.
Just to let you know, I said almost exactly the same to someone else earlier today and got slammed for it. I'm on your side, though.

OT - I'd be interested to see how this works, especially if there is direct mimicing of the actions involved. If that's how it works, I do hope there's a warning label on the box so they don't get sued...

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
RARE do seem to be fucking everything up nowadays. Ok for me because it means i don't have to feel envious that the PS3 will never see any of these games. :p

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
On one hand, I am so happy to see another Killer instinct being made. I LOVED KI and it's one of the best fighting games ever. On the other hand, FUCK NATAL. Fighting games are not meant to be played with motion control, and especially with a hands free system like christmasNATAL. My dreams have both come true and have been shattered simultaneously because of this. I can only see nothing but failure for this, now will you excuse me I have to go cry in the corner.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Chipperz said:
Just to let you know, I said almost exactly the same to someone else earlier today and got slammed for it. I'm on your side, though.
I'm fully aware that I might get slammed for it but frankly it's dumb and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I mean I don't go around going "hurr hurr $ony" or "P$3" or "P$PGo", or "Macinto$h" so why should anybody be allowed to get away with what must be the most overplayed joke about Microsoft in history? It's not even funny. It's like "ha through the use of symbols I have acknowledged Microsoft has a lot of money and that they have been convicted of being a monopoly, clearly I have the wit and wisdom of the comedic greats"

Sorry, getting OT. Anyway I still really don't see the point of Natal as a control system in any context. I mean "invisible steering wheel" as the Burnout demo showed doesn't exactly make me think "awesome". At best Natal will be able to provide about 2 trillion new LOLcat jokes in about a week.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
cononking said:
I try not to use the word rape lightly.

But honestly...I don't think this is light...RARE raped Perfect Dark. Seriously. How do you take my favorite FPS (still) of all time...and...do that.

Chipperz said:
AceDiamond said:
Cid SilverWing said:
cononking said:
This.

OT - I'd be interested to see how this works, especially if there is direct mimicing of the actions involved. If that's how it works, I do hope there's a warning label on the box so they don't get sued...
Well to be fair saying "M$" does make the user look like a **** so it is a valid criticism. Considering they are hardly pulling the largest cash grabs in any of their areas of interest. Every single thing Microsoft is involved with there is another company doing far more greedy shit in.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I think all we can hope for, not to destroy the happy memories people have of KI, is a remake with excellent gameplay and controls, with an added NATAL version of the game included.

THAT would sell to both audiences while not angering the fans of KI when they see a new version of a game we've waited years for turned into a dodgy Eyetoy frippery.

Am I wrong in thinking NATAL is just PS2's Eyetoy with some improvements in tech however?
I don't see what makes it such a revolutionary idea so far.

I personally really enjoyed my Eyetoy, it was fun and a great 'party' game, but in no way was it a sensible controller of choice for a real game.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
I remember having lots of fun with the very first "Killer Instinct" (KI) on my SNES here (Never got an N64 so I didn't play KI2). I grew out of fighting games, and even then this one is kind of gritty at the beginning so I don't see how this could stand out with today's games.

The Natal...I don't see how this is any better than a webcam really. The videos I seen just make me think of it as an upgraded version of the Eyetoy for the Playstation 2 and I don't see how normal functions like movement in a game could be done with this technology. When Fable 3 was said to use Natal, I don't see how they could do the walking or running of the character with Natal.

Fighting games seem to be even worse, but I want to digress for a bit to point at Guitar Hero/Rockband for a second. While they are great games, the idea of rhythm games are nothing new, and there are a few gems to consider in the series ("Dance Dance Revolution" is one example). When Guitar Hero/Rockband came out they had songs that were familiar in musical history that people love--while providing a plastic guitar that works with little colors being displayed. Sure it looks like that the player may be playing along in the music with the guitar, but the songs are--and I mean no offense when I say this--dumbed down so casual players could play them. Being an expert in one song in those games doesn't make the player good enough to sing the actual game.

And this is the situation I see if a fighting game was released that worked with the Natal: Gamers are not fighters, they play games to do awesome things they may not be able to do. Doing the actual physical movements of their avatars in the game may be difficult for the players to do that it makes the game less fun.

Of course this is all just a rumor and may be that the next KI3 game will have the controller: Actually I think if any developer is smart they would give players the option of using multiple control methods, like using the Xbox controller or Natal. Though I'm guessing that is just going to end up in the same violent war with controller vs. keyboard/mouse FPS fans fight over.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Worgen said:
I see something alot of people have been waiting for ruined by a controller gimick
Wow, we must be looking in the same direction, because that's what I see too!

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
wow, I totally read the wrong sentence. I thought it said, "Rare instinct planning to kill Natal."

I have no idea how I read that...

anyways, am I the only one who thought that Wii boxing was fun and that eyetoy was cool?

A Natal fighting game doesn't sound like a bad idea, but to mimic some of the things in Killer Instict? If the idea was to truly get kids off the couch they'd stop making video games...