Rare stuff you own

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
I have a copy of A.W. Tozer's The Pursuit of God that has my own signature in it. That makes it valuable, right?

Jun 16, 2010
Anarchemitis said:
I have a copy of A.W. Tozer's The Pursuit of God that has my own signature in it. That makes it valuable, right?
Step 1: Become really really famous.
Step 2: Sign everything you own.

Now all of your possessions are unique, rare and valuable!

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
I've got some old Shakespeare editions, including a complete works printed in 1827, and a Titus Andronicus from 1790 that was disbound from a larger book.

StrixMaxima

Sep 8, 2008
Hmm, let me see...

I have dozens of original PC games in their glorious boxes. Many Ultimas (all with the cloth maps and fake moonstones), Fallout 1, many Might & Magic, Doom 2, D&D SSI titles, etc, etc. Most are floppies, some are early CDs. My favorite is probably the Beta CD for Ultima Online.

Lots of vintage consoles and games.

An original "Viva" 4AD X Mal Deutschland disk.

A horror comics collection so big I am ashamed to admit.

The first edition of a Complete Works of Oscar Wilde ever published, from the late 19th Century or very early 20th Century, can't recall exactly here in my office.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
I have a signed copy of Mort.
I have an illustrated first edition of Moby Dick, shame that when I got it it was not in great condition.

soes757

Jan 24, 2011
Zeren said:
I have one of these.

It's still in it's plastic, but doesn't have a box. I have no idea what card is inside it.
I've got two pikachus (spelling on that?) and a Charizard, waiting for those to be worth something, I also have the whole set of first edition and second edition cards.

Cereals

Aug 2, 2010
I have a replica of the 10th doctor's (david tennant) coat. I suppose you could technically argue it isn't rare because its not limited edition or no longer made or whatever (you can just go to the website i did and have one made) but somehow i doubt that the sales figures are astronomical, so i suppose it can be technically considered "rare"

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
darthmj94 said:
I bought a copy of the "legend of Zelda: ocerena of time, master quest" for gamecube on amazon a few years back. It is a version of the game with the puzzles rearranged into new, harder puzzles, and was only available with a pre-order of "wind waker". Not sure if it is rare but I am proud that I own it.
I see your Master Quest and raise you the original Legend of Zelda gold cartridge.

Come at me bro.

TTMichael18

Jan 14, 2011
Uh, I have a Primus and Melvins poster ( #61 of 300), though it's in pretty bad condition, because I just didn't take care of it and it's been creased and crumpled rather than framed like it should have been. I have Rishloo's discography (signed) which could be considered rare because the band aren't together anymore. Don't know of anything else rare I own, unfortunately.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
darthmj94 said:
I bought a copy of the "legend of Zelda: ocerena of time, master quest" for gamecube on amazon a few years back. It is a version of the game with the puzzles rearranged into new, harder puzzles, and was only available with a pre-order of "wind waker". Not sure if it is rare but I am proud that I own it.
I see your Master Quest and raise you the original Legend of Zelda gold cartridge.

Come at me bro.
Eh, the gold one's not rare at all. The grey one (which was a limited production Player's Choice re-release) actually is kind of rare, but it's still only worth $15 or $20 for a cartridge only copy. I'm still kicking five year old me for not preserving anything but the cartridge and the slip cover; I actually got the thing brand new from Walmart, I remember going to buy it.

You may be thinking of the gold Ocarina of Time or the gold Majora's Mask, both of which were limited editions and are relatively rare.

Edit: Actually it looks like it's just OoT that's rare in the gold edition. Apparently the rare MM carts have some sort of hologram on them, with the regular carts being gold.

Edit Edit: Upon further research, the gold MM cart without the hologram is actually more valuable, because it's less common than gold with hologram. The grey cart, once again, is the rarest of the bunch. Looks like it's just OoT that the gold version is rare.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Not much game/nerdwise... I have a copy of Secret of Mana I bought off ebay about 10 years ago... no box or anything though. Probably a few more rare games, too.

Quite a few rare books, but that's expected of me.

Otherwise... some antique furniture, really. There's probably a lot of shit kicking around my parent's house that is quite old and rare... I have a list of things I want to have when they move this spring.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I think in video game terms, The Second Runner is quite rare. I have a copy of that. That's about it though.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Griffolion said:
I think in video game terms, The Second Runner is quite rare. I have a copy of that. That's about it though.
Man am I jealous. That goes for about $200 on e-bay, otherwise I'd have a copy too.

Edit: wait, holy shit, the HD remake pulled the bottom out of the market! I can finally afford a copy, almost 10 years later! Bummer for you, but I'm so happy for me XD

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=zone+of+the+enders+2&_sacat=0&_from=R40

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Hmmmm, my Japanese Model 1 Mega CD and copy of Chrono Trigger for the SNES would probably be my rarest items.

psychopez

Jan 25, 2010
One of the first Pez dispensers, a 2.6 red stem white cap US Zone regular.

Let me translate this for you.

2.6 refers to the first two digits of the patent number stamped on most Pez dispensers. It's a good way to relatively date them. The first patent was 2,620,061.

Red stem is self explanatory.

White cap/regular means the is no character head. The original Pez dispensers were shaped to look like lighters, and had no cartoon head on them. These are called Regulars by collectors.

US Zone means there's an extra stamping. Along with patent numbers, country origin of manufacture are stamped in the side of a stem. US Zone means there is a stamping that of Made In Germany, like normal, but under that there's an extra 'US Zone' stamping. After WWII one of the Pez assembly plants was in the US controlled zone of Germany.

This isn't the most valueable Pez dispenser out there, but it's my rarest one....

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
I have an original SNES cartridge of Chrono Trigger, if that counts as rare. I know it goes for around $75, and with the remakes out these days, no one is buying any more of them.

Rare things...hmm. Well, I have an old in-table Singer sewing machine that is probably at least 75 years old. It's a really nice one, too; I expect it's worth at least a decent price, given how well it has been maintained? It belonged to my grandmother, who handed it down to me after she died in 2010. Singer is a high-quality, really good brand.

Other than that, I don't think I have anything that can be considered particularly rare. I guess my assload of Beanie Babies, but the ones I had were retired only after the craze ended and nobody was paying good money for rare ones anymore. Still, as a kid, I lost count of how many of my friends had rare Beanie Babies like the dinosaurs, which retired early and were worth hundreds of dollars, and they had *torn the tags off* so they couldn't be sold. I could have made a killing off their toys if they hadn't *torn the freaking tags off*.

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
The rarest thing I own (though probably only really rare in the US) is an original Stiff records pressing of Elvis Costello's "My Aim is True". I don't think it's the very first edition since the sleeve doesn't have a yellow back, but a pink back instead. However, early editions did have a variety of colored backs, at least according to Wikipedia. The record isn't in the best shape, and the original paper liner thing is missing, but it's still pretty badass.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Nothing that I know of.
My dad has a few rarities of nes games etc lying around and some LP discs