Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I never trusted IGN much to begin with. Even back in the early 2000s at late nineties, they had a habit of nitpicking off walls that weren't that big or blaming the game for their own stupid mistakes. It was their God Hand review that was the last straw. 3/10 my ass. The fact that the reviewer even admitted that he did not finish the game and only gave that review cuz he couldn't beat the first stage. They did have a second opinion about a couple months later and gave it a 6 out of 10, but the damage was already done by that point. The fact that it took them years to fire the guy, was just another insult.
Is That the guy who got caught stealing other peoples review content?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is That the guy who got caught stealing other peoples review content?
Nope. Different person. The one who did the review back in 2006 got fired in 2009/2010.

A reason to get the PS5 ASAP?
Not spending $500 on it just for one game. Hi Adam Sessler, nice to see you again. Where's Kate Batello, your original female co-host?

No one answer that last statement, it's a rhetorical question.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

The irony is that mascot platformers have been making a comeback since the mid to late 2010s. It would be nice to see Jak & Daxter or Sly Cooper again. I admit, that I really didn't touch most of those platformers during the PS2 era, as I was still exploring different types of games and most platformers were not doing much for me at that point. Naughty Dog can definitely do something with Jak and Daxter, but they're too obsessed with being cinematic and artsy. If you're not going to do anything with it, give it to someone else that cares.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sony did not send the Escapists nor Yahtzee the review code for petty reasons and wanted to dictate how they review a particular game.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I picked up a copy of this game earlier this morning. I traded in Sonic Superstars to get it. So I barely had to pay anything at all.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just finished Rift Apart. Great game, awesome levels, good enemy variety, but could have used more variety of bosses. The game does repeat certain bosses and mini-bosses too often. Also, Emperor Nefarious as a final boss is underwhelming, because it's more or less a repeat of Dr. Nefarious, except you're in a smaller arena, you don't get transported to different dimensions, he has a few more melee swipes and a laser spam, and he is a damage sponge. The beatdown is cathartic though. This game is definitely a keeper. I will probably do NG+ run at some point, but I will save it for a rainy day.

I know I am late on this, but here are some PC reviews for those interested.

Reactions: Casual Shinji

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I just finished Rift Apart. Great game, awesome levels, good enemy variety, but could have used more variety of bosses. The game does repeat certain bosses and mini-bosses too often. Also, Emperor Nefarious as a final boss is underwhelming, because it's more or less a repeat of Dr. Nefarious, except you're in a smaller arena, you don't get transported to different dimensions, he has a few more melee swipes and a laser spam, and he is a damage sponge. The beatdown is cathartic though. This game is definitely a keeper. I will probably do NG+ run at some point, but I will save it for a rainy day.

I know I am late on this, but here are some PC reviews for those interested.

Ratchet and Clank bosses are never very interesting. You typically focus on avoiding attacks and just hold R2 with whatever gun has the best homing ability. The arena fights, especially on the hardest difficulty, are where you'll find a more engaging challenge.

Reactions: BrawlMan