Rate My Build?

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Too late. I've already purchased everything. Thankfully Amazon did nothing with a recent parts order for 24 hours, so I was able to cancel and order for cheaper on Newegg.

Windows 10 Pro
Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW2 Gaming iCX Video Card
Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair - RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Pioneer - BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter

Total price: $1,993.64

A couple of things I wanted to have:

1. I wanted a case that blended in and could be mistaken for a piece of furniture, not something that screams "STEAL ME!"

2. I want a PC that can handle some tasks extremely well, and most tasks competently. So 3D work, video rendering, Creative Suite, sound work, and oddly enough not for gaming. Well, okay, a little gaming. But not much.

3. I want options. I want wireless if I have to, I want the ability to play old games off a CD, I want expansion, I will eventually want 32GB of RAM and maybe more if the damn prices would drop.

4. But most of all I wanted to follow Albino Boo's advice (hello?) and start with a decent motherboard and quality power supply. He / she mentioned that once, and I thought it was a great tip.

5. Did I mention expansion? Got it.

6. I want a PC that will last as long as my current mass-produced HP has lasted (I'm using it now). Nine years strong and counting. All I did was add more RAM, and used RAM at that. If I can keep my new PC cool enough and have it last for at least as long with no further costs (aside from maybe more RAM and a liquid cooler), I'll be super happy.

So what do you think? Am I overpaying by trying to keep one foot set in the past while leaning into the future?

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
Personally, if you're intending to use this for 3D rendering etc... multicore heavy instructions, then I would have plumped for a Ryzen personally.

For the same price as that 8700 you could have had far more cores, at similar speeds, which would definitely assist with the rendering etc.

It's a shame you need to upgrade now, you're buying at the wrong time. :(

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Thanks for the input! Yeah, I felt compelled to buy now because I'm not confident about pushing my luck with this machine any longer.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
Frezzato said:
Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
YOU GOT ONE?!
Okay, so if Adam Jensen can quote me four months after my last post, I guess I can quote him two months later.

I got my i7-8700k for $340 after Newegg emailed me about a price drop. I had ordered from Amazon and for 48 hours they did absolutely nothing. Didn't even charge my card.

I went through item by item on Newegg, adding stuff to cart while simultaneously cancelling the same item from Amazon. I'm glad I did, because I saved about 100 dollars overall.

This was back in May, and the price increase for the 8700k since then is baffling to me!