Rate my song then share your own

Martintox

Mister Disorder
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
The sound production is quite good, and the occasional density of the instrumentation enhances the atmosphere, but those feel mainly like embellishments for an otherwise run-of-the-mill "epic ballad". Not bad, but not very exciting either. 6/10.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
6/10

Krautrock, been a while since I heard any. Not bad, tho I prefer a more upbeat tempo. Also, I think David Bowie rather heavily borrowed from this song's sound for his Heroes album. Then again, he was hanging out in Berlin at the time.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
YES! See @Dreiko ?! This is what I meant, it's Anarchy down here everyone does as they please if @Mister Mumbler wants to review every single song so far he can, nothing we can do about it, it's cool.
Well, for me personally, it's less about cheating and more A) feeling bad about just glossing over songs that people picked, and B) that I do have a genuinely wide palate of music that I enjoy (all songs posted by me in this thread are from my personal music collection of CD's and such), and as much as I am strolling through this thread to find new music for my collection (see: X-Ray Visions that @Neuromancer posted. I had already known and liked the band, but didn't know where to start getting more albums besides the two I had, when along comes this. I went out and got the studio album it's on (EDIT: Psychic Warfare for those interested) and it is a great album all round, with other stand outs like Firebirds! and Noble Savage) I'm also hoping people see my music and find new favorites they didn't even know about, like @Dreiko and Run the Jewels, and help expand their own music horizions. There's a bit by comedian Bill Burr (the one about white people and lotion) where he makes the funny and true statement that where it's good to know people of all colors because we don't know everything ourselves.

Anyway, recap part 2:
Heads Will Roll - Yeah Yeah Yeahs 8/10: it's got a nice punchy beat to it, plus I feel like I've heard this somewhere else before but can't place it right now
Nightcall - Kavinsky 8/10: another one I'm previously familiar with, a nice bit of retro-comeback electronic of the sort that led to my currently musical taste (though that honor goes to another song I will post below)
Stereo Love - Edward Maya 6/10: another good one, I like the beat outside of that initial lead in instrument that sounds a bit like an accordion (it sticks out a little like the tough, chewy bit in a piece of steak)
Ascension - Voyager 7/10: it's good, I agree a little with Baffle's "light SOAD" assessment, but it also sounds a bit like Audioslave as well.
Cherry Lips - Garbage 7/10: Speaking of Baffle, not something I currently listen to but it's good enough to make me think I could
Not Your Kind Of People - Garbage 6/10: Speak of the devil and all that, I like it a little less than Cherry Lips, but it has still maintained my gentle interest in the band
Silver Cloud - La Dusseldorf 8/10: yes, this is what I was talking about with when I rated the Earth song, it's got a nice bit of progression though all the bits and is a good jam all round.
Randy Dandy Oh - The Dreadnoughts 4/10: This was originally a 5, I liked the story it wove but it felt like it was going to build up to some awesome instrument shredding finale that never came, plus that minute of dead air on the end is what dropped that point.

And now for the song that broke my twerpy little kid attitude of "if it ain't classic rock it ain't music":

If anyone here is looking to try and get into electronic music, I wholeheartedly recommend getting the OST's for both Hotline Miami 1 and 2.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
I enjoyed the beat, but honestly, it felt a tad too repetitive. It's one of those songs that could potentially go on for hours and I wouldn't really notice because the beat is pleasant but does not quite stand out. 6/10

Since @Mister Mumbler liked my previous offering, I shall remain in the stoner rock genre and give a band from my own country.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Well, for me personally, it's less about cheating and more A) feeling bad about just glossing over songs that people picked, and B) that I do have a genuinely wide palate of music that I enjoy (all songs posted by me in this thread are from my personal music collection of CD's and such), and as much as I am strolling through this thread to find new music for my collection (see: X-Ray Visions that @Neuromancer posted. I had already known and liked the band, but didn't know where to start getting more albums besides the two I had, when along comes this. I went out and got the studio album it's on (EDIT: Psychic Warfare for those interested) and it is a great album all round, with other stand outs like Firebirds! and Noble Savage) I'm also hoping people see my music and find new favorites they didn't even know about, like @Dreiko and Run the Jewels, and help expand their own music horizions. There's a bit by comedian Bill Burr (the one about white people and lotion) where he makes the funny and true statement that where it's good to know people of all colors because we don't know everything ourselves.

Anyway, recap part 2:
Heads Will Roll - Yeah Yeah Yeahs 8/10: it's got a nice punchy beat to it, plus I feel like I've heard this somewhere else before but can't place it right now
Nightcall - Kavinsky 8/10: another one I'm previously familiar with, a nice bit of retro-comeback electronic of the sort that led to my currently musical taste (though that honor goes to another song I will post below)
Stereo Love - Edward Maya 6/10: another good one, I like the beat outside of that initial lead in instrument that sounds a bit like an accordion (it sticks out a little like the tough, chewy bit in a piece of steak)
Ascension - Voyager 7/10: it's good, I agree a little with Baffle's "light SOAD" assessment, but it also sounds a bit like Audioslave as well.
Cherry Lips - Garbage 7/10: Speaking of Baffle, not something I currently listen to but it's good enough to make me think I could
Not Your Kind Of People - Garbage 6/10: Speak of the devil and all that, I like it a little less than Cherry Lips, but it has still maintained my gentle interest in the band
Silver Cloud - La Dusseldorf 8/10: yes, this is what I was talking about with when I rated the Earth song, it's got a nice bit of progression though all the bits and is a good jam all round.
Can't cheat my dude, there are no rules, but your effort to state your opinion on every single song is appreciated, also I get it I used the old thread to find a lot of music, as I'm very musically illiterate most of my knowledge comes from what other people have taught me, a lot of the music I still listen to is from the previous versions of this thread.

OT: 7/10 I liked it but it wasn't as memorable as the other song, I still enjoyed it though.

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Quick recap:
All Around (Satanic Drugs From Outer Space) - Nightstalker 7/10: I like this a lot, though after listening to songs like Escape From the Prison Planet by Clutch (I also picked up their self-titled album along with Psychic Warfare) and Bulls On Parade by Rage Against The Machine recently I kinda wish they got a little bit more shouty. Also, don't feel like you need to stay in one genre on my part.

Planting Seeds - Built To Spill 8*/10: Reminds me of bands like 3 Doors Down, but in a good way. A solid song and I love that album cover.

Next song I post is going to be either a country or jazz song, haven't decided yet.

EDIT: * Bumped it up a point, I'm a sucker for nice album art.

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
8/10 I can vibe to that, it was cool, not much someone like me can say.

The whole album is 12:36 minutes, so I was tempted to just do the whole thing but I decided that might be considered torture for some people, so I was merciful, you may thank me if you hate this.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
About what I expected from a band called Satanic Abortion. Liked the rawness of the drumming, and the song gave a general feeling ominousness. I appreciate that there wasn't any vocals, because I expect growling, and I hate growling in almost all circumstances. 7/10

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
6/10 - Sure, I can dig some psychedelic rock. Reminds me of early Black Sabbath at times, but with some The Doors, Kyuss and Hendrix sprinkled throughout, maybe just a dash of Jethro Tull too. Would've been a 7/10, but I'm not too fond of the lead vocals. Could've done with some more power. I get what they were going for, but they're a bit weak alongside the heavier fuzz guitar, tho it's better when there's backings to fill things out.

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
The Nameless Mountain/Desecration Profound - Satanic Abortion 5/10: Not usually my cup of tea in terms of sound, but I kinda like it. Plus, it made me seek out the full album to listen to (you could've gotten away with posting it too, there have been a few 10+ minute songs posted already).
For The Lost Souls - Samsara Blues Experiment 7/10: Another good Greek (I'm assuming) rock song
Invincible - The Thought 7/10: My style of rap; a nice beat, no auto-tune on the rapper, and some pretty good lyricism.
Virtual Insanity - Jamiroquai 6/10: A nice song, but not as good as others of his like Space Cowboy (a song I did buy through iTunes).

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
8/10 I liked that a lot, seems like the kind of thing I would listen to when I'm not sad.

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Quick recap:
25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago 10/10: Love this song/band, you should check this live performance of it out.

And now;
Deer Dance - System Of A Down 8/10: A nice, heavy rock song, though of the two heavy rock bands with four word names from the early 2000's I've always like RATM a little bit more.

And now to yee some haw in here:

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Fly Me To The Moon - Utada Hikaru 6/10: Just a nice song to listen too.

Colussus - IDLES 9/10: Not gonna lie, the first few times listening through this song I thought the intro bit was a bit long but now it feels like the windup to a roller-coaster ride. GOES AND IT GOES AND IT GOES! Also, if you haven't already, you should check out the live performance from KEXP here. (Honestly, everyone should see if their favorite acts have done a KEXP performance, they have all sounded amazing so far).

And now for something completely different:

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Dame Tu Cosita: It doesn't deserve a rating. Ungodly levels of unsettling and hard to watch. I'm glad I don't understand the lyrics, but I can guess based on the sensual moans and body movements. Audio is highly repetitive as well. I genuinely hate it.

Bonus: Dig my Fox (I had to rate something else that wasn't Dame Tu Cosita): 6/10. Decently fun. I feel like it needs a little more though. Maybe a good solo to give it some more life.

I know this one hit it big thanks to a meme, but damn, in my opinion it's an amazing song on its own

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
Alright, I dig this one. Really enjoy the beat, the sax is also great. The vocals I really dislike though, they feel somewhat ill-fitting. The beat carries it though. 7/10.

Also, if you haven't already, you should check out the live performance from KEXP here. (Honestly, everyone should see if their favorite acts have done a KEXP performance, they have all sounded amazing so far).
Yeah, dude, that live is pretty great. I also recommend the live they did in Paris Which reminds me, I was gonna see them live this July, but due to COVID that ain't happening. Looking forward to it happening next year though. Hopefully...

For a change of pace, I shall link an artist that I actually was introduced through KEXP. Meed Mdou Moctar, Tuareg musician extraordinaire , whose music combines blues rock with traditional Nigerien tunes.