Rate the PlayStation Consoles by Library

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Bloodborne has a huge community still after 5 years since release.
Overwatch has basically replaced Team Fortress 2
The Witcher 3 still have over a thousand people watching it on twitch right now.

I don't really understand your point. Good games maintain an audience. That's just how it is. Fortnite has been popular for how long now, and will continue to be popular until a better next gen game comes out.

MGSV was the best Metal gear for a lot of people. Uncharted 4 was the best Uncharted for a lot of people, I know people that played the other games BECAUSE of 4. Odyssey was the best Mario for a lot of people, Breath of the Wild best Zelda, Assassin's Creed Odyssey best. So your point falls flat because there are plenty of other examples of games people DO think are the best to counter-balance the stumbles in other games.

Why are you dismissing Indies outright? Disco Elysum might be "small" but it's bigger than any game Indies could have been in generations past. Small developers have gone from having no platform to being some of the most popular games of the year. Undertale, Superhot, Shovel Knight, on and on, those games didn't exist in previous generations in the way they do now. They've gone from being tiny flash game on Newgrounds, to having Steam pages and even major boxes releases sold front shelf at Gamestops and Best Buys.
I didn't say no games from this gen will have longevity, I just don't see them having the longevity as games from last-gen. Wouldn't they have higher player counts than older games if they were going to have said longevity? 2 of the 5 current-gen titles in Steam's top 10 are R6 Siege and Rocket League, neither are hardly bigger games. When MGO3 goes offline, fans are not going to bring that back like they did with MGO2.

Battle royale may end up being a fad. Though the battle royale games are hardly the bigger and better, Fortnite is hardly AAA looking, same with PUBG.

Who the hell says MGS5 is the best MGS game? I'm like the biggest MGS fanboy there is (that's what the "mgs" in my name represents) and I didn't even finish MGS5. I can see Uncharted 4 being a lot more popular than my personal opinion of it, but UC2 just dominated the GOTY awards across most publications, UC4 definitely didn't. People still care about AssCreed? It's kinda funny that SkillUp's review thumbnail for Odyssey is literally "Bigger isn't always better". I didn't mention Nintendo games because the thread is about the libraries of PS systems.

Sure, indies can make bigger games than they did before but their games aren't necessarily better because they're bigger. Disco Elysium is basically Warren Spector's One City Block RPG so I don't know how'd you equate to Disco Elysium being great because it's "bigger and better". Hell, it has no combat, no crafting, no loot system, etc. I've been asking for games to eschew combat for years now. Games usually become better when you subtract than when you add. If bigger is better than why isn't The Outer Worlds considered to be a much better game than Disco Elysium? How are the indies like you mentioned (Undertale, Superhot, etc) not unequivocally worse games than AAA games because AAA games are "bigger and better"?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Not every game can be Tetris or Super Mario Brothers 3. Most good games from the PS1, 2, and 3 era didn't have much longevity, in as much as that they're still being played 5 or 10+ years after release. And try not to forget the amount of games released as well as media in general being a lot higher now than 10 years ago. The more media we're surrounded with the quicker things age and disappear from the public conscious. Think of all the critically acclaimed TV shows that come and go due to the high rate at which new ones are produced.

Not that there haven't been a lot of fuck-ups this gen, but those are very convenient examples of games that were obvious downgrades, and criticized as such. God of War '18 was by many considered the best in the series. So was Spider-Man, and Breath of the Wild, and RE2 Remake, and Mario Odyssey, and Monster Hunter, and FF7 Remake, and The Witcher 3, and Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Doom '16, and Devil May Cry 5, and yes, Uncharted 4 was actually considered the best, or at the very least one of the best, in the series. Regardless of your or my opinion on them.

And what PC ports do you mean? The Witcher 3? Because that's honestly the only type of game I would see being PC exclussive in any other generation. And previous generations had a lot more third-party exclussivity, so yeah, by that definition the PS4 is lacking in its library. But that's not any sort of fumble on anyone's part.
Most games with longevity (aka high player counts) are definitely online multiplayer games, which really didn't exist during most past generations like SMB3 obviously isn't an online game (though Super Mario Maker seems pretty popular). I'm asking where are those games that are replacing the older games. Just maybe bigger isn't better and most AAA releases are just uninspired Skinner boxes full of microtransactions.

I'm pretty sure the majority of franchises that got releases this gen were seen as downgrades, I hardly think I was cherry-picking something fierce with those examples. Hell, I don't think anyone really liked Rage much and I'm pretty sure Rage 2 somehow accomplished being seen as worse. I'm not saying there aren't any highs, but there isn't any many of them as past PS generations. Most of the games you listed aren't some massively big games with a map that X times bigger than the last that have 100s of hours of content that have like a 10-year plan like say Destiny. Even something like Horizon is very much reserved compared to most open worlds. My point is that making games bigger doesn't equal them being better and in fact makes them worse more often than not.

With PC ports I'm talking about games that you'd really only see on PC and rarely on consoles like the Divinity, Pillars, Cities Skylines, Civilization, Outer Wilds, Obra Dinn, Shadow Tactics, Disco Elysium, etc. Hell, you can even play stuff like Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment on PS4, neither were ever available on console before. Witcher 3 got so big in size and budget, it needed the console release for more sales (CDPR even said as much) so I don't really consider it something you wouldn't see on consoles even though the Witcher series is mainly a PC series.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
If bigger is better than why isn't The Outer Worlds considered to be a much better game than Disco Elysium?
Because they are different types of games. What are you talking about?

How are the indies like you mentioned (Undertale, Superhot, etc) not unequivocally worse games than AAA games because AAA games are "bigger and better"?
those things aren't equal that's way. You can't compare the size of indies to the size of AAA games.

Which is why I brought up NewGrounds, because that directly compares indies of old to today's games and yes you can clearly see the growth of all those games.

I'm pretty sure the majority of franchises that got releases this gen were seen as downgrades,
Mario Odyssey, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls 3, the Witcher 3......these were downgrades. What world do you live in?

Look there are a lot of old games that are still played today, people go back to games and there are a lot of old games for people to go back too. Just because games today are generally bigger and better, doesn't mean that people still wont go back to play "classics".

Even something like Horizon is very much reserved compared to most open worlds. My point is that making games bigger doesn't equal them being better and in fact makes them worse more often than not.
You are taking things too literally here. Bigger doesn't mean a bigger open world. Bigger can mean a lot of things. More quests, more collectibles, side activities, goals, voice acting, storylines, etc etc. It doesn't just mean giant world.

Look at something like Yazuka Zero. That map is fucking small, but there is soooooo much shit to do it'll insane. The game boasts a completionist runtime of 138hours, on a very small map.

Depth of content is what i mean by bigger, not specifically the size of the worlds.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Because they are different types of games. What are you talking about?
Disco Elysium and The Outer Worlds are both RPGs. There's literally 3 different articles comparing them. The role-playing aspect in Disco is in a completely different league. The core of what makes an RPG tick is the same regardless of size and scope.

those things aren't equal that's way. You can't compare the size of indies to the size of AAA games.

Which is why I brought up NewGrounds, because that directly compares indies of old to today's games and yes you can clearly see the growth of all those games.
But you said today's games are bigger and better. If indies/AAs are making better games at smaller scales and scopes than AAA, how does bigger equate to being better? Sure, it's great that anybody can make games now with technology advances along with things like crowd-funding. Something like SMB3 took Nintendo to make 30 years ago and one guy made Papers Please and Return of the Obra Dinn. Being able to do more stuff isn't bad, it's the doing more stuff for the sake of doing more stuff that's bad. And, that's most AAA development nowadays.

Mario Odyssey, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls 3, the Witcher 3......these were downgrades. What world do you live in?

Look there are a lot of old games that are still played today, people go back to games and there are a lot of old games for people to go back too. Just because games today are generally bigger and better, doesn't mean that people still wont go back to play "classics".
Why are you listing Nintendo games? We're talking about Sony's PS libraries. Are you seriously going to say most of current-gen releases of ongoing franchises are seen as better games? Even if you're just looking at developers, has Bungie, Bioware, Bethesda (the killer Bs I guess) made their best game this gen? Sure, there's game series and devs that you can list making their best game this gen, but saying most have done so is rather hyperbolic. You're already hating on TLOU2 so I guess that'll be another series that won't have its best game this gen.

You are taking things too literally here. Bigger doesn't mean a bigger open world. Bigger can mean a lot of things. More quests, more collectibles, side activities, goals, voice acting, storylines, etc etc. It doesn't just mean giant world.

Look at something like Yazuka Zero. That map is fucking small, but there is soooooo much shit to do it'll insane. The game boasts a completionist runtime of 138hours, on a very small map.

Depth of content is what i mean by bigger, not specifically the size of the worlds.
The more stuff that is put in a game, the less time and passion is put into each piece of it. Horizon is bigger than any game on PS1 and probably PS2, but compared to other open world games currently, it has a lot less of stuff in it. There's only 40-something quests in Horizon, there's only 30 of the most abundant collectible, there's only 5 or 6 "towers", etc. Everything in Horizon feels like it has a purpose vs just being something on a long list of things to be checked off. It was shown that TLOU2 has horse riding and side quests, why? I don't want to be having to travel so far I need a horse to get places nor do I want to be doing side quests in a TLOU style game. Give me tight pacing with intricately designed levels and encounters. Most AAA games sacrifice depth of content for more copy-pasted low-quality content. Every RPG thinks it needs crafting and loot systems. The Outer Worlds has weapon degradation and repairs but you pick up so many guns, you just chuck the damaged gun away for 10+ of the same exact one you have in your inventory. It doesn't accomplish anything but waste your time. I absolutely prioritize looking for games with depth of content that don't waste my time and very few of them are coming from AAA anymore.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Most games with longevity (aka high player counts) are definitely online multiplayer games, which really didn't exist during most past generations like SMB3 obviously isn't an online game (though Super Mario Maker seems pretty popular). I'm asking where are those games that are replacing the older games. Just maybe bigger isn't better and most AAA releases are just uninspired Skinner boxes full of microtransactions.
I couldn't really comment on that, because to me online multiplayer games have about as much longevity as a glass of milk on a sun drenched sidewalk. But disregarding that online multiplayer games will always have less longevity then singleplayer ones, since they're dependent on servers.

I'm pretty sure the majority of franchises that got releases this gen were seen as downgrades, I hardly think I was cherry-picking something fierce with those examples. Hell, I don't think anyone really liked Rage much and I'm pretty sure Rage 2 somehow accomplished being seen as worse. I'm not saying there aren't any highs, but there isn't any many of them as past PS generations. Most of the games you listed aren't some massively big games with a map that X times bigger than the last that have 100s of hours of content that have like a 10-year plan like say Destiny. Even something like Horizon is very much reserved compared to most open worlds. My point is that making games bigger doesn't equal them being better and in fact makes them worse more often than not.
I will again point to the previously mentioned 12 games from established franchises that came out this generation and were seen as great or even the best in that franchise. That's at least 12 games in 7 years, not even mentioning games that likely slipped under my radar. Not every game is Destiny, and not every game company is EA or Ubisoft. Shit got a lot worse this generation, but good things got a lot better. And if you manage to avoid anything from EA, Ubisoft, and Activision you're pretty much dodging 70 or 80% of the problems this generation had.

If we're strickly speaking the Playstation, this generation has been a well oiled machine compared to the previous one. The PS4 actually came out a reasonable price, many games still developed for the PS3 also got released for the PS4 typically at a higher resolution, and graphics heavy games (not counting Ubisoft) weren't completely wrecking the performance.

When I think back to the PS3 I think Infamous 1 and 2, maybe Mass Effect, Uncharted 2, The Last of Us, and Journey. With the later three being the only real stand-outs. This generation has had *see previously mentioned 12 games.*
With PC ports I'm talking about games that you'd really only see on PC and rarely on consoles like the Divinity, Pillars, Cities Skylines, Civilization, Outer Wilds, Obra Dinn, Shadow Tactics, Disco Elysium, etc. Hell, you can even play stuff like Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment on PS4, neither were ever available on console before. Witcher 3 got so big in size and budget, it needed the console release for more sales (CDPR even said as much) so I don't really consider it something you wouldn't see on consoles even though the Witcher series is mainly a PC series.
Okay, but I've never played those games, and I can't say my PS4 experience has been utterly starving because of it. So to say that the PS4 has only been worth it because of those PC ports, like it's common knowledge, is just not true. I can't say the general consensus among the gaming community is that the PS4 is only worth it if you include those PC ports. It actually seems to be that it's worth it because of the many (critically acclaimed) exclussives it has.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Why are you listing Nintendo games? We're talking about Sony's PS libraries
I was including them as a general example of how games have become bigger and better as time has gone on.

Frankly I don't understand how you can debate this. Point me to one SNES game that's as big as anything made today. Point me to a PS1 or 2 game even.

DiscoElysium and Outter Worlds might both be RPGs that's true. But come on dude, you KNOW that an FPS-RPG is way way different insize and scope to a isometric CRPG. You wanna compare Outter Worlds to New Vegas, then fine.

Things have to be compared fairly.

And frankly, yes, there have been many many stumbles this generation, but there were stumbles in every generation. Companies change, the bottom line in terms of profits budgets and expectations have changed. People change, studio heads and creative directors leave from studio to studio. Bioware today is not the SWTOR Bioware for example. But that's the nature of an evolving medium, talent shuffles around.

The more stuff that is put in a game, the less time and passion is put into each piece of it. Horizon is bigger than any game on PS1 and probably PS2, but compared to other open world games currently, it has a lot less of stuff in it. There's only 40-something quests in Horizon, there's only 30 of the most abundant collectible, there's only 5 or 6 "towers", etc. Everything in Horizon feels like it has a purpose vs just being something on a long list of things to be checked off. It was shown that TLOU2 has horse riding and side quests, why? I don't want to be having to travel so far I need a horse to get places nor do I want to be doing side quests in a TLOU style game. Give me tight pacing with intricately designed levels and encounters. Most AAA games sacrifice depth of content for more copy-pasted low-quality content. Every RPG thinks it needs crafting and loot systems. The Outer Worlds has weapon degradation and repairs but you pick up so many guns, you just chuck the damaged gun away for 10+ of the same exact one you have in your inventory. It doesn't accomplish anything but waste your time. I absolutely prioritize looking for games with depth of content that don't waste my time and very few of them are coming from AAA anymore.
I think you are focusing too much on specifics upon a select few games. That's not the topic here, I am speaking as a generalization here.

Content is only one thing that makes today's games "bigger and better". There are many other things. Storytelling in general is better then ever. Gameplay mechanics are more in depth, more detailed and complex then ever before. Is Doom 2016 and Eternal not evolutions of the original game, are they not bigger and better? Graphics are better than ever, even games trying to emulation 2D pixel art are doing it better than ever before.

If you wanna nit-pick specific details in games fine, but you are missing the overall point.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I couldn't really comment on that, because to me online multiplayer games have about as much longevity as a glass of milk on a sun drenched sidewalk. But disregarding that online multiplayer games will always have less longevity then singleplayer ones, since they're dependent on servers.
Well, maybe in the extreme long run, multiplayer games have a finite life. If we're talking hours played, multiplayer games have much longer lives. Counter-Strike is 20 years old and still one of the most played games. Plus, if a game is good enough, fans will put up their own servers to play it. You can still play MGO2 (MGS4's online) today and you can still play SOCOM 2 (PS2 gen) today as well.

I will again point to the previously mentioned 12 games from established franchises that came out this generation and were seen as great or even the best in that franchise. That's at least 12 games in 7 years, not even mentioning games that likely slipped under my radar. Not every game is Destiny, and not every game company is EA or Ubisoft. Shit got a lot worse this generation, but good things got a lot better. And if you manage to avoid anything from EA, Ubisoft, and Activision you're pretty much dodging 70 or 80% of the problems this generation had.

If we're strickly speaking the Playstation, this generation has been a well oiled machine compared to the previous one. The PS4 actually came out a reasonable price, many games still developed for the PS3 also got released for the PS4 typically at a higher resolution, and graphics heavy games (not counting Ubisoft) weren't completely wrecking the performance.

When I think back to the PS3 I think Infamous 1 and 2, maybe Mass Effect, Uncharted 2, The Last of Us, and Journey. With the later three being the only real stand-outs. This generation has had *see previously mentioned 12 games.*
But EA, Ubisoft, and Activision make a lot of AAA games and all of them have worse output this gen vs last-gen. Capcom's been one of the few big name publishers that have released better games this gen vs last-gen. I feel Sony's output in number of games have dropped. Naughty Dog last-gen release 4 games and 2 new IPs whereas this gen, they'll have 2.5 games basically (Lost Legacy) and no new IPs. It's taken Sucker Punch 6 years to make GoT. Sony Santa Monica made one game this gen. Sony's indie arcade games were much better last-gen. Most other studios are making less games like Rockstar (even though I don't like them, but many do) has only released one game this gen. Irrational (Bioshock) made a new studio and haven't released anything. PS4 is lacking Platinum games because they're mainly developing for Nintendo now. Bayonetta and Vanquish are literally my #1 and #2 games from last-gen. Outside of Witcher 3, what AAA RPG was even seen as better than something from previous generations? Your list of 12 games have 2 Nintendo games on it (we're talking PS libraries), I don't think FF7 Remake can be considered better or worse until the whole game is released honestly. I very much doubt Uncharted 4 is seen as the best Uncharted by most though I guess it kinda defaults to UC2/4 because UC1/3 sucked, though I'd put Lost Legacy 2nd best behind UC2. But that's more pulling hairs I guess. Spiderman was a solid game but last-gen Arkham games were better superhero games. And Rocksteady has made less games this gen too.

Okay, but I've never played those games, and I can't say my PS4 experience has been utterly starving because of it. So to say that the PS4 has only been worth it because of those PC ports, like it's common knowledge, is just not true. I can't say the general consensus among the gaming community is that the PS4 is only worth it if you include those PC ports. It actually seems to be that it's worth it because of the many (critically acclaimed) exclussives it has.
I haven't said PS4 is starving for games, I'm just saying this library is worse than past libraries. I'm not saying the PS4 hasn't been worth it either, a good video card could easily run you the cost of the system. You should try some of those games, they're really good. I'm totally buying Desperados 3 over TLOU2 as they come out literally 3 days apart.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I was including them as a general example of how games have become bigger and better as time has gone on.

Frankly I don't understand how you can debate this. Point me to one SNES game that's as big as anything made today. Point me to a PS1 or 2 game even.

DiscoElysium and Outter Worlds might both be RPGs that's true. But come on dude, you KNOW that an FPS-RPG is way way different insize and scope to a isometric CRPG. You wanna compare Outter Worlds to New Vegas, then fine.

Things have to be compared fairly.

And frankly, yes, there have been many many stumbles this generation, but there were stumbles in every generation.
Saying games are better because they're bigger than SNES games vs saying PS4 games are better because they're bigger than PS3 games are 2 completely different things. Hardware definitely limited games in those early gens. However, most PS4 games are not bigger in the right ways, where's the better AI, the better physics? We just have better looking games that play pretty much the same just with more copy-pasted content. It's much more likely to improve the game you're making by removing things vs adding things. Current games are full of kitchen-sink design and have game systems that only detract from the game. Shooters haven't improved this gen. Point me to any PS4 shooter that allows me to throw a grenade underhand, something I could do in MGS4/MGO2. Point me to a PS4 shooter that allows me to slide and lean (like MoH Warfighter). Point me towards a PS4 shooter with a better cover system than Ghost Recon Future Soldier.

The problem with The Outer Worlds is all the extra stuff that is there that isn't needed. Why is there so much FPS shooting when it's average at best? I could just play an actual shooter if I want good shooting gameplay. The Outer Worlds inspiration is obviously Firefly, but Firefly has very few action scenes in it. RPGs don't need combat and would be far better games without said combat. RPGs usually feature average-at-best combat combined with poor actual role-playing making them at best a jack-of-all-trades game and master-of-none. Just look at the fact that every skill (but a single upgrade) in Witcher 3 has to deal with combat when the strength of the game isn't combat. Disco Elysium completely outdoes The Outer Worlds exactly where it matters in an ROLE-PLAYING game, that's why they're comparable. The opening minutes of this video explains how the dependence of combat in RPGs hurts the genre in many aspects including storytelling, questing, character diversity, etc. And, the video ends with the following line perfectly encapsulating the problem with modern RPGs.

"I want Disco Elysium to reclaim the term RPG to, once again, describe video games in which you actually role-play."

I think you are focusing too much on specifics upon a select few games. That's not the topic here, I am speaking as a generalization here.

Content is only one thing that makes today's games "bigger and better". There are many other things. Storytelling in general is better then ever. Gameplay mechanics are more in depth, more detailed and complex then ever before. Is Doom 2016 and Eternal not evolutions of the original game, are they not bigger and better? Graphics are better than ever, even games trying to emulation 2D pixel art are doing it better than ever before.

If you wanna nit-pick specific details in games fine, but you are missing the overall point.
I was generalizing, I posted how many different game series that definitely didn't have their best outings this gen (and that was just thinking of games over a few minutes)? Or how about all the shitty new IPs like Destiny, The Division, Anthem. Capcom seems to be like the only big publisher that released a better library of games this gen. Many devs output in just quantity of games is down like Naughty Dog, Bethesda, Bioware, Rocksteady, Rockstar.

I was listing specifics with Horizon because how different an open world game it is compared to its peers. I was, and no joke, literally shocked when I picked up my 1st metal flower and the pop-up said "1 of 30 found". What other open world game has 30 or less of its most abundant collectible? I knew at that point Horizon wasn't going to stuff its world full of low-quality checklist content. I listed Horizon's specifics as a proof to my generalization.

I guess storytelling is improving slightly every gen but the amount of actual good writing in the medium is still pretty damn low. Even something like TLOU2, I'll play because of the gameplay and if I get a good story, it's merely a bonus. I'm not going into a TLOU or Uncharted or "cinematic game" game expecting 7+/10 writing because that's a fool's errand.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
But EA, Ubisoft, and Activision make a lot of AAA games and all of them have worse output this gen vs last-gen. Capcom's been one of the few big name publishers that have released better games this gen vs last-gen. I feel Sony's output in number of games have dropped. Naughty Dog last-gen release 4 games and 2 new IPs whereas this gen, they'll have 2.5 games basically (Lost Legacy) and no new IPs. It's taken Sucker Punch 6 years to make GoT. Sony Santa Monica made one game this gen. Sony's indie arcade games were much better last-gen. Most other studios are making less games like Rockstar (even though I don't like them, but many do) has only released one game this gen. Irrational (Bioshock) made a new studio and haven't released anything. PS4 is lacking Platinum games because they're mainly developing for Nintendo now. Bayonetta and Vanquish are literally my #1 and #2 games from last-gen. Outside of Witcher 3, what AAA RPG was even seen as better than something from previous generations? Your list of 12 games have 2 Nintendo games on it (we're talking PS libraries), I don't think FF7 Remake can be considered better or worse until the whole game is released honestly. I very much doubt Uncharted 4 is seen as the best Uncharted by most though I guess it kinda defaults to UC2/4 because UC1/3 sucked, though I'd put Lost Legacy 2nd best behind UC2. But that's more pulling hairs I guess. Spiderman was a solid game but last-gen Arkham games were better superhero games. And Rocksteady has made less games this gen too.
When I mentioned Nintendo games this was in response to your examples of third-party titles/non-Sony exclussives that were a downgrade compared to previous entries with those franchises.

Yeah, output on the AAA side has been lower with Sony this gen, yet I can't say I actually noticed it except when I actively thought about it. Maybe a lot of that empty space was filled by ports and remasters, but those are still ports that I would've otherwise never played had they not been released on the PS4. I mean, I primarily use my Switch as an indie machine, with maybe 4 games being Nintendo first-party. But those are still indie games I would've most likely not bothered with otherwise since I don't like gaming on a PC.

I haven't said PS4 is starving for games, I'm just saying this library is worse than past libraries. I'm not saying the PS4 hasn't been worth it either, a good video card could easily run you the cost of the system. You should try some of those games, they're really good. I'm totally buying Desperados 3 over TLOU2 as they come out literally 3 days apart.
Well, this is subjective. For me the previous generation almost kinda made me want to give up on gaming, with only Journey and TLoU pulling me out of that slump. The PS4 by comparison has been great all around. Again though, this is me almost completely shutting out EA, Ubsoft, Activision, and any sort of multiplayer game.

I've tried playing Return of the Obra Dinn (again on the Switch), and while it is really quite good my brain simply isn't calm enough to unravel its whole tangled mystery. Maybe one day I'll get back to it. I also took a shot at Divinity 2, but something about the visual style and hud of that game just doesn't really draw me in.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yeah, output on the AAA side has been lower with Sony this gen, yet I can't say I actually noticed it except when I actively thought about it. Maybe a lot of that empty space was filled by ports and remasters, but those are still ports that I would've otherwise never played had they not been released on the PS4. I mean, I primarily use my Switch as an indie machine, with maybe 4 games being Nintendo first-party. But those are still indie games I would've most likely not bothered with otherwise since I don't like gaming on a PC.

Well, this is subjective. For me the previous generation almost kinda made me want to give up on gaming, with only Journey and TLoU pulling me out of that slump. The PS4 by comparison has been great all around. Again though, this is me almost completely shutting out EA, Ubsoft, Activision, and any sort of multiplayer game.

I've tried playing Return of the Obra Dinn (again on the Switch), and while it is really quite good my brain simply isn't calm enough to unravel its whole tangled mystery. Maybe one day I'll get back to it. I also took a shot at Divinity 2, but something about the visual style and hud of that game just doesn't really draw me in.
I feel like output is down basically across the board with everyone trying to make the one game that brings in all the money and stays around long-term collecting even more money. I'm pretty sure GTA Online's revenue stream is the main reason Rockstar has only made one game this gen. Last-gen featured a lot of copying but at least they were copying games, now they're copying live-services. And, it's not even about the games being live services filled with microtransactions, it's that the games aren't even good to begin with. Assassin's Creed Odyssey is trying to basically make single player games into that as well.

I don't do much EA, Ubisoft, and Activision either. Activision is by far the worst for me, I think all I've played from them is COD4 and Sekiro over the entirety of the last 2 gens. But just looking through EA's games from last-gen, they got a ton of solid releases: Mirrors Edge (loved it), BulletStorm (loved it), Mass Effect (loved it), Kingdoms of Amalur (decent, great combat though), MoH Warfighter (amazing online), Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (pretty solid), Burnout Paradise (people liked that), Dragon Age (I hear the 1st one is solid), Dead Space (I hear the 1st 2 were good), Shadows of the Damned (never got around to it, looks like campy fun), and that Alice in Wonderland game (seems somewhat interesting and it's like an actual game). This gen I played Mirrors Edge Catalyst (not very good) and I bought Titanfall 2 since it's like always $5 on PSN (and it does look genuinely good), and that's it from EA. Ubsoft was a lot better last-gen too: Assassin's Creed was interesting when it came out, Far Cry 3 was pretty good and Blood Dragon was amazing, Ghost Recon Future Soldier was pretty good, there were Splinter Cell games and Blacklist was really good, they at least tried 2 Prince of Persia games. This gen, I played Watch Dogs (pretty solid, just too much Ubisoft: The Game mainly) and Rainbow Six Siege seems really good, I played the beta but didn't think Ubisoft would actually support and fix the game (as they had no track record of doing such). God and Monsters looks like it could be something.

I haven't been in the mood to really get into Obra Dinn, the first group of deaths were pretty easy and then the 2nd group already is like I can't identify shit. I'm just loving Divinity 2 right now. I never got through the 1st game because I took a break and when I came back I had no clue what the hell I was in the middle of. Divinity 2 just feels more focused to me (the story feels a lot more straight forward) and I love the verticality of the levels. I love the combat system and the interaction of the elements, there's so many tactical options. I am playing it with a decent amount of mods like an auto-level gear mod and the Divinity Unleashed mod that changes a lot of things (a 28 page PDF of changes). The quests almost always tie into the world building like I just came across this demon possessed child that's been chained up and locked in a vault for generations with an undead skeletal cat still with the girl and it reminded me of the classic Futurama episode about Fry's dog.