Rated E games with Depth

DaMullet

Nov 28, 2009
Simple request, at least I hope its simple...

I'm looking for some good games for the PC that are rated E that actually have some depth and story to them. Unfortunately I can't think of any.

Any suggestions?

!!!!!!!!!!!EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, so my inability to come up with much isn't fault of mine. Thank you.

Let's expand the list then. How about deep E rated games on one of the following systems.
SNES
N64
PS2
GameCube
Xbox 360

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg always looked fun, never played it though. Unfortunately, most in-depth E rated games that I know of are for the PS1.

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
Wha? How can I look up games based on the rating?

OK, to start out easy, Defense Grid: The Awakening is a neat tower defense game with an available demo. Actually the demo may be more fun than the full game. Rated E 10+.

Tropico 3 isn't rated, but Tropico 4 is rated T. They are neat Sim-corrupt-island-nation games.

Um... wow, even Morrowind is T

Civilization V is E 10+.

I'm a bit light on good-story-no-violence games.

Aha! URU is E, so Myst might be too. But I found the puzzles in those to be hair-pulling frustrating, and I'm a MENSA member. Also the story is usually a convoluted, but thin link between puzzles.

Rock of Ages is E 10+, its amusing, has very little story, and it gets difficult after the second boss.

Europa Universalis III is E 10+. However, there's no story, and many people have a hard time grasping the economics. It is challenging, and somewhat fun to pervert history. E.g. it's possible for China to discover the New World, and the Creek Indians to become electors of the Holy Roman Empire. Fun is when a tiny one-province nation grows to take over the known world.

But I'm afraid that I'm not being all that helpful. A good story and E...?

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Well Portal 2 is E 10+. It has really good writing and pacing not to mention loads of content with free DLC and workshop maps.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
The Legend of Zelda. Can't go wrong with that series. Easily, the deepest was Majora's Mask. Though, by today's standards, it would more likely than not be rated E-10+, as that rating did not exist back in 2000 and its similar-enough predecessor's rerelease on the 3DS is rated E-10+, along with the newest installment, Skyward Sword. The previous major title, Twilight Princess is the only one with the "T" rating.

Sonic Adventure can be a bit deep, but Sonic Adventure 2 goes even further. However, since the new digital release, it's now E-10+, as well. Sonic 3 & Knuckles also has an awesome story. Though, it's understandable if you miss it, considering it's told with subtlety.

However, Nights into Dreams got the same treatment, and I hear that game's rather deep. However, I haven't played it myself, and I'm not about to spoil myself again like when I did for Spec Ops: The Line! (That game's rated "M", by the way...)

And I suppose you may find what you're looking for in some JRPGs? Maybe some Final Fantasy or Paper Mario? I'm not certain here, as I'm still rather unfamiliar with the both of them, so don't anyone quote me on it... unless you're responding. However, I am gaining familiarity with Fire Emblem, and I think you ought to give that a good long look.

Some others that may take you by surprise in a similar regard would probably by Banjo-Kazooie, Bomberman 64 (especially if you unlock the secret ending), and Zapper: One Wicked Cricket!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Mario Galaxy? Mario 64? Mario World? Or if you want something different, what about Kirby's Epic Yarn?

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
The straight up Rayman games are all pretty heavy on depth and story and are E. I don't know about the spinoffs but all the core games are damn good.

That's about all I can think of, unfortunately.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
The Geneforge Saga is pretty badass, and I'm pretty sure it's rated E, if it is even rated at all.
It is one of the deepest stories in any RPG I've played, with the best choice and consequence too.
It's even avaliable on GOG!

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Lugbzurg said:
The Legend of Zelda. Can't go wrong with that series. Easily, the deepest was Majora's Mask. Though, by today's standards, it would more likely than not be rated E-10+, as that rating did not exist back in 2000 and its similar-enough predecessor's rerelease on the 3DS is rated E-10+, along with the newest installment, Skyward Sword. The previous major title, Twilight Princess is the only one with the "T" rating.

Sonic Adventure can be a bit deep, but Sonic Adventure 2 goes even further. However, since the new digital release, it's now E-10+, as well. Sonic 3 & Knuckles also has an awesome story. Though, it's understandable if you miss it, considering it's told with subtlety.

However, Nights into Dreams got the same treatment, and I hear that game's rather deep. However, I haven't played it myself, and I'm not about to spoil myself again like when I did for Spec Ops: The Line! (That game's rated "M", by the way...)

And I suppose you may find what you're looking for in some JRPGs? Maybe some Final Fantasy or Paper Mario? I'm not certain here, as I'm still rather unfamiliar with the both of them, so don't anyone quote me on it... unless you're responding. However, I am gaining familiarity with Fire Emblem, and I think you ought to give that a good long look.

Some others that may take you by surprise in a similar regard would probably by Banjo-Kazooie, Bomberman 64 (especially if you unlock the secret ending), and Zapper: One Wicked Cricket!
Hey, I love Fire Emblem as much as the next guy (okay, a lot more), but the OP is asking for PC games.

OT: I've got nothing outside of simulators.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
The 2 Y's Games on Steam, plus Carpe Fulgur's Recettear and Fortune Summoners Deluxe, also Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
The first two Monkey Island games are great games with excellent stories. Both of the special editions are rated E-10+.

I've heard good things about Costume Quest. It's not rated, but if it were, it would probably be E.

Scribblenauts Unlimited is supposed to be really good, and is rated E-10+. It doesn't have much as far as a story goes, though.

Damn, this is way harder than it should be.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Kirby's Epic Yarn?
Um what? KEY was completely lacking in depth. and challenge. and quality. it was pretty much a game that was doomed to not sell well on its own that got the Kirby makeover slapped on to improve sales. (obligatory disclaimer: IMO)

OT: I actually cant think of any deep PC games that are rated E. I suppose you could say Spore or portal 2, depending on your definition of "deep". come to think of it, seems like a lot of the best games are rated T or higher.

EDIT: WAIT I GOT ONE! Bastion was goddamn awesome and was only rated E10+

DaMullet

Nov 28, 2009
Alright, so my inability to come up with much isn't fault of mine. Thank you.

Let's expand the list then. How about deep E rated games on one of the following systems.
SNES
N64
PS2
GameCube
Xbox 360

Slitzkin

Jul 3, 2011
Were the Banjo games on N64 rated E?

I live in Australia and we use a different rating system and I've just assumed that your 'E' eqautes to our 'G'.

HappyCastor

Feb 13, 2011
Viva Pinata, a complex garden management game with a light tone and very pleasing aesthetics. There are many pinatas to discover, the tone is light-hearted but not embarrassing, and there is actually a surprisingly deep and interesting back story that fleshes the island and it's inhabitants out and gives the tone a slightly more somber tint.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Arakasi said:
The Geneforge Saga is pretty badass, and I'm pretty sure it's rated E, if it is even rated at all.
It is one of the deepest stories in any RPG I've played, with the best choice and consequence too.
It's even avaliable on GOG!
Definitely not rated E. Creatures dissolve into blood puddles, the games attempt horror moments, and the theme is not for kids.

OT: Myst 1, 2, 3 (somehow), and 5, as well as the tangential MMO Uru.

Only for puzzle fans, though.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
For the PS2: Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies (Or "Distant Thunder" in Europe)

Fantastic and challenging gameplay that takes real skill and strategy, an incredible soundtrack (one of the best of any game, ever), beautiful hand-drawn cutscenes, and an excellent story with some real emotion all make this one of my favorite games of all time, and it's (somehow) rated E.

I have no clue why it's rated E though. It's a war game, the story is pretty dark for most of the game (in the first cutscene a shot-down plane crashes on a boy's house and kills his family, and it's implied that the player shot down the plane), and they swear in the dialogue (one of the first lines in the first level is "Damn it, I'm not going home in a body bag!") Should be rated T like all the other Ace Combats.

Edit: Seriously though, I can't recommend this game enough. If you have a PS2, you need to get it, as well as Ace Combat 5 and Zero.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
sextus the crazy said:
Lugbzurg said:

Hey, I love Fire Emblem as much as the next guy (okay, a lot more), but the OP is asking for PC games.

OT: I've got nothing outside of simulators.
*Ahem*

Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Nights into Dreams
Spec Ops: The Line (M)
Zapper: One Wicked Cricket!

Also, for the record, the original poster asked for games on multiple systems.

Captcha: "Foul Play"

Hyrum Higgins

Feb 11, 2011
KarlMonster said:
Wha? How can I look up games based on the rating?

OK, to start out easy, Defense Grid: The Awakening is a neat tower defense game with an available demo. Actually the demo may be more fun than the full game. Rated E 10+.

Tropico 3 isn't rated, but Tropico 4 is rated T. They are neat Sim-corrupt-island-nation games.

Um... wow, even Morrowind is T

Civilization V is E 10+.

I'm a bit light on good-story-no-violence games.

Aha! URU is E, so Myst might be too. But I found the puzzles in those to be hair-pulling frustrating, and I'm a MENSA member. Also the story is usually a convoluted, but thin link between puzzles.

Rock of Ages is E 10+, its amusing, has very little story, and it gets difficult after the second boss.

Europa Universalis III is E 10+. However, there's no story, and many people have a hard time grasping the economics. It is challenging, and somewhat fun to pervert history. E.g. it's possible for China to discover the New World, and the Creek Indians to become electors of the Holy Roman Empire. Fun is when a tiny one-province nation grows to take over the known world.

But I'm afraid that I'm not being all that helpful. A good story and E...?
Actually,the Chinese did discover the new world. There are Chinese maps dating before Columbus that show every continent.