Ray Bradbury Passes at Age 91

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
http://news.yahoo.com/ray-bradbury-dies-california-143150129.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) ? Ray Bradbury has died at 91 after a lengthy career of writing everything from science-fiction and mystery to humor.

Reached at Bradbury's home, his daughter, Alexandra Bradbury, says her father died Tuesday night in Southern California. She did not have additional details.

Bradbury transformed his childhood dreams and Cold War fears into telepathic Martians, lovesick sea monsters, and his vision of a high-tech, book-burning future in "Fahrenheit 451."

He also scripted the 1956 film version of "Moby Dick" and wrote for "The Twilight Zone."

Bradbury's series of stories in "The Martian Chronicles" was a Cold War morality tale in which events on another planet served as a commentary on life on this planet. It has been published in more than 30 languages.

...and then you have THIS douchebag. No, the one at the bottom:

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
RIP.. He was an incredible writer.

as for Dooms Day.. There is always the asshat trolls out there...

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I haven't read much of his work - one of those never-got-around-to-it omissions - but I have read The Martian Chronicles and it's a great book. RIP.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
The man was ahead of his time. I read Fahrenheit 451 the first time when I was in middle school it made me think 'wow people in power or in media might try to use information to control what we think.'
He nailed that one, didn't he?

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
FIRST
[small]Wait, you're saying that joke isn't funny? Oh, my mistake.[/small]
The world is worse off without him. He shall be missed.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Honestly, I feel a little extra saddened by this. A passing of a legend is always something of a toucstone moment but the extra saddness comes from me actually honestly not even knowing he was still alive. He was always just one of those mythical figures that you experience the works of and get inspired by. He was sort of this untouchable literary figure that I didn't follow as closely as I should have and now, knowing that there is likely much more of him that I could have experienced while he actually did still live and breathe, takes me aback an extra step or two.

Captcha: thinking cap
Indeed, Captcha. Not only am I wearing mine now but I also tip my hat to him being one of the first authors that made me put it on in the first place.

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
At least he had an extraordinary life. To call him one of the greatest science fiction writers would be underselling it. He did so much more.