Rayman Legends Coming to Vita

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Rayman Legends Coming to Vita

Ubisoft has announced a Vita edition of Rayman Legends that will launch alongside the console versions on September 3rd.

When the PlayStastion Vita first launched, Rayman Origins was one of the handheld of titles included amongst the system's library. With the exception of a few missing features it was an exact port and one of the best games on the handheld. Sadly, as the game's sequel, Rayman Legends, has progressed toward its (<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122077-Rayman-Creator-Joins-Legends-Protest>several times delayed) release date, it's appeared that the Vita wouldn't be included among the platforms playing host to the new game. Happily, that's no longer the case because Ubisoft has announced that a Vita version of Rayman Legends will be launching with the console games on September 3rd.

According to Ubisoft the newly announced Vita port will be privy to all the same the content as its sibling editions on the Wii U, PS3 and Xbox 360. This will include cooperative and competitive multiplayer, which was sadly removed from the Vita release of Rayman Origins. Gamers planning on playing on their Vitas will also benefit from extra content exclusive to the handheld edition. This will include five new maps, costumes pulled from other Ubisoft properties and touchscreen mechanics designed specially for the Vita. All in all, it looks to be a rich and worthy port of the console games.

That said, the reveal raises some questions with some potentially negative answers. While the announcement confirmed the Vita game would have access to the same content as the console versions, there has been no mention as to whether or not this could lead to possible Cross Play or Cross Buy options between the Vita and PS3 versions. Seeing as neither were mentioned, it could mean that neither are planned. Granted, this announcement is still fresh and there's plenty of time between now and September for things to change, but we wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 and Vita games fail to cross over.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
...indie games, both rayman reboot games, PSP games, PS1 classics, PS2 classics, and the handful of Vita games I'd actually want.... holy crap Sony's finally made me interested in the Vita again.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Still not interested with the Vita til I see a price drop in North America. I don't want to have to get a smaller sized memory stick due to the high price of the console AND the memory sticks...

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Kinda a dick move from Ubisoft towards Nintendo.
The game was supposed to be a WiiU exclusive, then they delay it because it's not finished. Delay it again without a real explanation. Then they delay it despite the game being finished so that they can release it on other platforms and now a different platform will have exclusive content...

But hey, it's a business. Sony probably payed for extra content to try and revitalize the Vita.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Can we have the Wii U second screen features between PS3 and Vita?
That would surely piss Nintendo off...

Not that I would want Big N to be pissed off.
It's just that I plan to get this game for the Vita and this feature would be a nice addition..

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Seriously.... WTF

I bought the Wii U because I wanted this game. I didn't buy it specifically for this game but I expected this to be an exclusive and a launch title (or at least a near launch title). This game did encourage me to be an early adopter of the Wii U though. Then they delay it to put it on the other consoles I already owned. Now they are releasing it for the Vita WITH EXTRA CONTENT JUST FOR THE VITA VERSION. Screw you Ubisoft. I'm tired of this BS.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Next week's news : Rayman Legends for Wii U cancelled. Quoting Ubisoft "Not only did Nintendo not pay us enough to maintain exclusivity, but they couldn't pay enough to have the Wii U version published!!!"

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Saw this last night, and I couldn't be happier. Origins was amazing on the Vita, and drop dead gorgeous. When I heard about Legends initially, I was hoping for a Vita version when they decided to port the game to the other consoles. These games are just a perfect fit for a portable like the Vita and 3DS.

Still is a dick move by Ubisoft to delay the damn WiiU version despite the fact that it's fucking done. The game probably would have done fine releasing for WiiU initially with the subsequent ports coming later.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
-Seraph- said:
Still is a dick move by Ubisoft to delay the damn WiiU version despite the fact that it's fucking done. The game probably would have done fine releasing for WiiU initially with the subsequent ports coming later.
It wouldn't do fine. It would do fantastic. The original release date was about a month before MonHun3U. That means it was meant to be released at a time where there were no games on the WiiU besides ZombiU and NSMBU. WiiU owner were desperate for games and anyone who followed WiiU threads online knew that Legends was as hyped as it gets. The game would have sold ridiculously fast because it was the perfect moment to release a hyped game. Other publisher would probably kill to be able to publish something during such a time.

But I blame Microsoft as much as I blame Ubisoft. Microsoft's policy forces Ubisoft to release the game at the same time on the 360 as on other consoles or even earlier. And it must have the same content, or more. And Ubisoft was too greedy to skip over the 360.
Now they will release Legens alongside hard hitter like CoD. And it will do rather badly on the WiiU considering that Nintendo will release Pikim 3, Wind Waker HD, A 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Wonderful 101 and maybe some more games before or close to Legend's release date. And then they will blame WiiU fans for ignoring the game will "crying" for it.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Still a dick move by Ubisoft towards Nintendo and their own devs but I'm not gonna lie, I'm struggling to contain my excitement. The Vita version of Rayman Origins is by far my favourite so I absolutely cannot wait for this.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
Jove said:
Good. The Vita can definitely use more games for their system.

Nintendo still has that Mario guy, Zelda and Pokemon games so their fine. Normally that would make any console labeled as "lack of good exclusives" but those three games print money (especially Pokemon), so they could care less.
Have to say that all of the Pokemon games that I have played are fun. As long as X and Y are good(they will be) yeah it will continue to make money. Never mad at something for making other people rich. Know as long as the product in general hasn't gone to crap and they are just using the name to get people to play it. I think Mario and Zelda has been on a pretty even plain when it comes to quality. Basically people like to point out that they are just doing the same thing again and again. Although that isn't true, most people think they are. Like to say that just because a character is known for doing one thing really well, that doesn't mean that every game they made is the same.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Frozengale said:
Seriously.... WTF

I bought the Wii U because I wanted this game. I didn't buy it specifically for this game but I expected this to be an exclusive and a launch title (or at least a near launch title). This game did encourage me to be an early adopter of the Wii U though. Then they delay it to put it on the other consoles I already owned. Now they are releasing it for the Vita WITH EXTRA CONTENT JUST FOR THE VITA VERSION. Screw you Ubisoft. I'm tired of this BS.
You should have seen this coming with the abysmal Wii sales of Rayman Origins. Anyone surprised by this going multiplatform really is naive. I'm sorry but being mad at a business for doing what businesses do is really fickle. Ubisoft didn't want to lose money with this game due to poor WiiU sales, which I can't blame them at all for. I'd rather see Rayman come back in full force with some capital behind it than see Ubisoft have to milk the Rabbids like they did on the Wii.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
-Seraph- said:
It wouldn't do fine. It would do fantastic.
The low Wii sales of Rayman Origins would like to have a word with you. Keeping Rayman Legends a WiiU exclusive would have been an idiotic business move due to the Wii U's sales.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Rayman Origins was the first vita game I bought and I'll be looking forward to getting this one too. I wonder what other "Ubisoft properties" they're pulling from. Rayman dressed as assassin in an Ass Creed based level?

Also lol Wii U problems

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Cant wait, I do hope it has cross buy/cross play though. A fair few games already have it and its great, being able to on the PS3 then pick up where you left on the PS Vita and vice-versa is brilliant.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Parakeettheprawn said:
...indie games, both rayman reboot games, PSP games, PS1 classics, PS2 classics, and the handful of Vita games I'd actually want.... holy crap Sony's finally made me interested in the Vita again.
Hi I thought I'd just let you know "PERSONA 4 GOLDEN" IS THAT HOTTEST SHIT!!

Just letting you know... Also Muramasa the Demon blade...

Too bad Gamestop spoiled the news for me on this. They already had display boxes out Saturday. Pre-ordered Mugfugs. :D

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
Parakeettheprawn said:
Hi I thought I'd just let you know "PERSONA 4 GOLDEN" IS THAT HOTTEST SHIT!!

Just letting you know... Also Muramasa the Demon blade...

Too bad Gamestop spoiled the news for me on this. They already had display boxes out Saturday. Pre-ordered Mugfugs. :D
Deadpool, I thought we covered this -- no coffee in the morning!

OT: I'm still at Persona 2: Eternal Punishment on my PS3, so.... 4's not happening until 2 Part 2 and 3 get finished. Muramasa does nothing for me. Gravity Rush on the other hand...

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
The low Wii sales of Rayman Origins would like to have a word with you. Keeping Rayman Legends a WiiU exclusive would have been an idiotic business move due to the Wii U's sales.
Uhuh, because it did so much better on the other consoles. [http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Rayman+Origins] And the Wii version did better then the PSV version!

OT: As long as they don't delay the game again for this version to release as well, I won't mind. That said, I'm still on the fence on whether to pick up this game or not (for the WiiU of course, seeing as how it's supposedly the best version of the game).