Rayman Legends Vita Getting Patch for Missing Levels

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Rayman Legends Vita Getting Patch for Missing Levels

A patch for Rayman Legends on Vita is coming, but Ubisoft can't say when.

A few days ago players partaking in the Vita version of Rayman Legends noticed something odd about the game. Despite claims from Ubisoft that the Vita game would have all the same core content as its console counterparts, the portable edition was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127408-Rayman-Legends-Missing-Content-on-Vita>missing some 28 levels. With no prior announcement or explanation from the publisher, gamers were left to assume the worst. Thankfully, however, Ubisoft has now stepped forward with details to clear up the situation.

Responding to inquiries in the comments section of a recent Ubisoft blog post, communications manager Gary Steinman revealed that Vita edition fell victim to unexpected issues during its development. "Due to a longer development time than expected, we couldn't initially include the Invasion Mode - essentially, a second take on existing Rayman Legends maps -- in the Vita version of the game," he said. Steinman was also able to confirm that the missing levels "will be added via a free patch, at a later date." That being the case, he wasn't able to offer a release date for the patch, though he promised the company would provide updates as they became available.

All in all, it's fairly good news for Vita owners who, understandably, might have been a bit hesitant to invest in the portable version of the game following the news of the missing content. That said, with no release date for the patch we'd understand if some were still apprehensive. It's also arguably disappointing that Ubisoft waited until now to tell gamers that this issue existed. It's safe to say that many gamers would have appreciated a heads-up about any potential problems, even if they were temporary.

Source: Ubisoft

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
My biggest problem with the Vita now is that with developers now pushing more games onto the system, I can't afford to get them now...

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Chaosritter said:
Let me translate this: "Sorry, but we had to keep a deadline. Please pay the full price now and wait for us to deliver the content you've already paid for someday".

Nope, can't see anything wrong with that...
I feel like another delay would have dug them even deeper, honestly. They chose the path of least resistance, and I can't think of any option that would have not caught them flak. You either delay the game again, after all the unrest that caused with the Wii U audience and whatnot, or you release the game on time with content missing. Both things will attract negative criticism. Both things will disappoint Vita players. What're you gonna do.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Chaosritter said:
I feel like another delay would have dug them even deeper, honestly. They chose the path of least resistance, and I can't think of any option that would have not caught them flak. You either delay the game again, after all the unrest that caused with the Wii U audience and whatnot, or you release the game on time with content missing. Both things will attract negative criticism. Both things will disappoint Vita players. What're you gonna do.
If they had only released the WiiU Version when they intended to, instead of getting cold feet at the last minute, then they could have taken all the time in the world for the other versions with no real complaints. But no, they chickened out at the last minute, and caused a huge uproar among WiiU gamers, thus prohibiting them from delaying the game for the Vita.

OT: That's all very well and nice, but now the other Versions need free stuff as well. It wouldn't be fair for the other consoles to have to buy everything when the PSVita gets it for free. And I know that the free patch is just for missing levels, but they still got it without a hassle from Ubisoft.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Mr.Mattress said:
OT: That's all very well and nice, but now the other Versions need free stuff as well. It wouldn't be fair for the other consoles to have to buy everything when the PSVita gets it for free. And I know that the free patch is just for missing levels, but they still got it without a hassle from Ubisoft.
Why should the other system get ADDIONAL, NEW CONTENT, when the Vita gets MISSING CONTENT, THAT JUST COULDN'T BE FINISHED IN TIME?
No, they don't because the Vita gets exactly the same as everyone else, they don't get extra content with that update.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
Um, no they don't because this isn't new content. This is content that the other versions have, but it wasn't finished in time for the PS Vita version so UbiSoft is gonna give a patch the the Vita users so they can play what they were supposed to already have. Basically right now if you buy the Vita version then you are buying an incomplete game. If UbiSoft were to somehow turn this into a DLC of some kind then the PR backlash would be astronomical because basically they are having to pay extra to get the complete game when it should have been complete to being with.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Chaosritter said:
If they had only released the WiiU Version when they intended to, instead of getting cold feet at the last minute, then they could have taken all the time in the world for the other versions with no real complaints. But no, they chickened out at the last minute, and caused a huge uproar among WiiU gamers, thus prohibiting them from delaying the game for the Vita.

On your first point, it should be noted that it is Ubisoft's publishing arm, and not the team creating the game itself, that delayed the game. There's images going around of Michel Ancel and co. standing outside their office alongside protesters when the game went multiplatform, because it was as annoying to them to have a game go gold and then be delayed to account for other systems for nebulous reasons. It's why they created the Origins levels in Legends: they wanted to do something instead of sitting on top of a finished game for months on end.

As for that free content... as has been mentioned, it's just DLC that brings it up to parity with other systems. It's not actual new content. I think it wasn't fair on Vita in the first place, the balance is in this patch; the balance isn't required because of this patch. Honestly, your logic is kind of warped. People patch their games all the time for free, to fix bugs, to address balance changes, and in this case it just happens to be to add in levels that were cut for release. Is there any difference between that and any other post-release game-fix? I don't think so.