Rayman Origins Didn't Flop Financially

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Yeah, full $60 for a platformer was probably its biggest flaw. I know its a stupid mindset but not that many people are willing to pay that amount for a side scroller no matter its quality.
Call me once it hits 20 and I will happily get it as I am sure many others will.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Errr...okay then the too expensive crowd had a point. I mean, I love me some Rayman as much as the next guy, but 60 dollars for a platformer is a bit...much. A good game is a good game of course, but to me 40 bucks would probably have been a much safer bet.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
That game was such a shame, so much work went into it and I really, really wanted to buy it... but things like pre-ordering ME3 and Skyrim and BF3 has left me a little short even though Rayman wasn't a full price game.

I still want to buy it but I can't help feel like I just won't enjoy it the same as I used to ten years ago as I've grown up a lot more since. I probably wasn't the only one who didn't buy it for that reason too.

Such a shame, it does look really good.

balberoy

Aug 19, 2011
To be honest the Game for 50? bugs was a scam.

And to a sidenote I do not support f...ing Ubisoft.
I liked Rayman in the old days. But I just cant support a company wich
kicks its customers in the butt every time they release a game.

If you shrink your market by bad press,
thats what you get.

And what I hope awaits EA.

Thy shall fall!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I don't know who was selling it for £40 (roughly full retail price in the UK) but everywhere in my city they have it for £25 on release. Which is about $40 to you Americans.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Costs £14 or something now in the store where I buy games. Might pick it up eventually, but I don't have much love for 2D games these days.
Would be pretty nostalgic. Loved the first game for my Playstation, but I got stuck since I didnt speak English and didn't know what the hell to do at a boss.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
TimeLord said:
I don't know who was selling it for £40 (roughly full retail price on the UK) but everywhere in my city they have it for £25 on release. Which is about $40 to you Americans.
I saw it at £40 at release, but the price collapsed to between £20-£25 within 3 weeks or so. The only reason I didn't buy it at full price was simply because I had no cash (reason I still havent bought Assasins Creed Revelations) and if I'd had the cash, I would have paid £40. Ended up getting it new for £22 and it was well worth it.

shintakie10 said:
Errr...okay then the too expensive crowd had a point. I mean, I love me some Rayman as much as the next guy, but 60 dollars for a platformer is a bit...much. A good game is a good game of course, but to me 40 bucks would probably have been a much safer bet.
Why should it being a platformer mean you pay less if it took the same time to make as an other game and lasts just as long?

Xenowolf

Feb 3, 2012
This is really getting my hopes up for BGE 2. [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-11-rayman-origins-sales-will-help-beyond-good-and-evil-2]

TimeLord said:
I don't know who was selling it for £40 (roughly full retail price on the UK) but everywhere in my city they have it for £25 on release. Which is about $40 to you Americans.
Yeah, same here, I got it for £20. Definitly worth it too. That said, I saw it being sold for £48 on PlayStation Store, which is just ridiculous.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Plinglebob said:
TimeLord said:
I saw it at £40 at release, but the price collapsed to between £20-£25 within 3 weeks or so. The only reason I didn't buy it at full price was simply because I had no cash (reason I still havent bought Assasins Creed Revelations) and if I'd had the cash, I would have paid £40. Ended up getting it new for £22 and it was well worth it.

shintakie10 said:
Why should it being a platformer mean you pay less if it took the same time to make as an other game and lasts just as long?
Not to insult the game, but it was a 2D sidescrolling platformer. They didn't have to pay for mocap actors, voices, and a ton of other expensive parts of development that businesses usually use to "justify" the painfully high price of a big blockbuster game these days.

And this is Rayman. Not exactly an obscure indie IP. The money is ultimately going to Ubisoft's pockets, not being the make or break point of a tiny company of inspired developers. Expecting the game to be cheaper is fully justified in my book.

Briney-

Jul 13, 2011
I bought the PS3 version in January for $30. I don't think it stayed at full retail for very long.

Jun 11, 2008
Snotnarok said:
The game was fantastic, just not worth the full 60 bloody dollars.

And I wouldn't get too tied up with a Rayman PC port being super great, let's not forget WHO is selling this game. Ubisoft, the masters of shitty DRM, so it'll probably require you to be online at all times.
Well if they aren't lying Rayman should be DRM free on the PC if you buy a physical copy.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
If Ubisoft make a HD, fully voiced remake of Rayman 2, I will sell them my soul for pennies.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
I'm waiting for pc version so I can go to store and pick it up. Been looking forward to this game for a while now. Was worried for a bit that there would be no pc version for physical game buyers.

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
Been playing the co-op with a friend and were really enjoying it. Fun, fast, colorful, and just the right amount of wakey. I'm actually glad to here it made money and hopefully we can see more like this in the future.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Holy shit!... seriously?... my eyes do not decieve me?... I already knew that Rayman Origins was coming to the PC, so I can finally play it in HD with a 360 controller (oh the irony), instead of a sideways Wiimote (wich is pretty uncomfortable specifically for this game, by the way)... but DRM free!?, not only that, but at a reduced price!?, heck, the price at wich would've been sold in the first place!??

Are we talking about the same company here?, because if we do, I'll buy this in less than a heartbeat, heck, the first chance I get enough money, I'll make sure to preorder this!. Or wait for a potential Steam release. Heck, this may be the only UbiSoft game (for PC) that I'm seriously interested in this generation.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
I'll join the PC port buyers... sigh, had managed to evade Ubisoft for a while, but that game, at that price and with no DRM is just too good.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
Holy shit!... seriously?... my eyes do not decieve me?... I already knew that Rayman Origins was coming to the PC, so I can finally play it in HD with a 360 controller (oh the irony), instead of a sideways Wiimote (wich is pretty uncomfortable specifically for this game, by the way)... but DRM free!?, not only that, but at a reduced price!?, heck, the price at wich would've been sold in the first place!??

Are we talking about the same company here?, because if we do, I'll buy this in less than a heartbeat, heck, the first chance I get enough money, I'll make sure to preorder this!. Or wait for a potential Steam release. Heck, this may be the only UbiSoft game (for PC) that I'm seriously interested in this generation.
The thing you really need to watch out for is the DRM. Don't forget, Ubisoft claimed that From Dust wouldn't have DRM of any kind. Game came out and that basically turned into a pound of bullshit.