Razer Reveals the Artemis

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Razer Reveals the Artemis

The Razer Artemis is a "concept controller" designed exclusively for use with the upcoming Mechwarrior Online.

Back in my old Registry days, I played Air Warrior 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Activision-CDM-3092-Mechwarrior-2/dp/B00002S7ZX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338929468&sr=8-1], in my case - but that turned out to be perfectly suited for giant robot combat too. Believe me, nothing goes further toward creating the feeling of "being there" than a complex, cockpit-style control setup that means you never have to take your eyes off the screen or put your hands on the keyboard.

With that in mind, Razer has joined with Piranha Games and Infinite Game Publishing to develop something very similar in function but much more purpose-built: The Razer Artemis [http://www.razerzone.com/artemis/concept], a "concept controller" that combines a force-feedback joystick, an integrated mini-keyboard and an LCD screen. The stick boasts multiple buttons and two hat switches and everything is fully programmable, with "inter-device communication" allowing for a high degree of customization.

"Fans of MechWarrior know how important precision controls are for their Mechs and we think this is going to be a great option for them," said Piranha Games President Russ Bullock.

There's not even a suggestion of a price for this bad boy yet - it's still in the "concept" stage, remember - but you can bet that it will be somewhere north of "expensive." For fun, let's call it $300, which for the record isn't that terribly much more than my old CH rig cost all those years ago, and assume that Mechwarrior Online is the best thing to happen to the franchise since Activision picked up the license. Would you fork over that kind of cash for one? I'd love to play with one of these things, but I'd kind of like to be able to pay my rent this month, too. Decisions, decisions.

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
*insert shut up and take my money meme here* seriously i want this but i bet it will cost an arm and a leg.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Nightmonger said:
*insert shut up and take my money meme here* seriously i want this but i bet it will cost an arm and a leg.
Considerin its a Razer product? Bet your arm and leg on it.

If I ever get the 300-400+ dollars needed for it I'd snatch it up right quick. Outside of that though, there are space issues on my desk as it is between multiple monitors and speakers. Add in that thing and it might get way too crowded.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
One night during previous weekend friend talked and reminisced for hours about Mechwarrior Online, previous mecha games, memories and all things mecha, trying to get me to try, and another friend back into the game.

This is not for me, but the aforementioned passionate talk about it convinced me that there is definitely a target audience for this.

And I just saw a glimpse of this on the Razer site while taking a look at the specs of a new Razer mice, contemplating whether I'd jump on to Razer mice from Logitech, or not.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
shintakie10 said:
Outside of that though, there are space issues on my desk as it is between multiple monitors and speakers. Add in that thing and it might get way too crowded.
Most people with a gaming wheel & pedals (and not a mobile 'cockpit' to have it constantly attached to, settling with the table), including me, end up throwing such controllers somewhere in the viscinity, when they are not currently in use. It's not pretty, but meh, that's what you get.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Holy Crap the Joystick is returning to gaming!
We hope.

And maybe if it gets any attention, we can get Space-flight games again.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
I wonder if they'd be so kind as to make a leftie version of that thing. I'd like to have the stick in my main hand, heh.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Scow2 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Holy Crap the Joystick is returning to gaming!
We hope.

And maybe if it gets any attention, we can get Space-flight games again.
We still get space flight just not has many has before, but outside of X series and Sol:Exodus I can hardly think of one that got a recent release.

And the joystick quality sure has degraded for the lower price range due to poor demand, at least the flight sim people kept the good quality hardware going, so upgrade were still made.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This sounds awesome, but who can A) afford it and B) who is gonna spend money on a special controller for a F2P game. I mean, it looks awesome, but c'mon.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
This DID make be decided to yank my old Logitech Digital Wingman Extreme out of my 'sell on eBay' pile.

Jebusetti

Jan 12, 2010
Anyone else remember Steel Battalion (i think thats what it was called) for the xbox, that came with that awesome cockpit controller? I was soooo close to buying that; good thing i didn't seeing as how there were only two games that supported the thing. Hope this can be used well for other games, might just have to take the chance and grab it.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Jebusetti said:
Anyone else remember Steel Battalion (i think thats what it was called) for the xbox, that came with that awesome cockpit controller? I was soooo close to buying that; good thing i didn't seeing as how there were only two games that supported the thing. Hope this can be used well for other games, might just have to take the chance and grab it.
I was about |-----| that close to mentioning that until you ninja'd me. I have a friend who has it, and I've always wanted to borrow his Xbox just to try that game.

OT: I could see this being adapted really easily for flight sims and the like with a bit of modding (or no modding at all, given Razer's customization habits). Hell, next thing you know, some Japanese dude will rig this thing up to control one of those real life Gundams that they make, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. I mean as cool as some of the tech in Evangelion is, I don't quite want to be living in that sort of future.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
BENZOOKA said:
One night during previous weekend friend talked and reminisced for hours about Mechwarrior Online, previous mecha games, memories and all things mecha, trying to get me to try, and another friend back into the game.

This is not for me, but the aforementioned passionate talk about it convinced me that there is definitely a target audience for this.

And I just saw a glimpse of this on the Razer site while taking a look at the specs of a new Razer mice, contemplating whether I'd jump on to Razer mice from Logitech, or not.
I personally don't find Razer's stuff (not including mouse pads, those are actually really good) to be any better than Logitech's stuff. Razer to me feels like it's one of those companies that charges you for being a name brand, because they've established their name over the years.
As long as it isn't Mad Cats, you're fine in terms of quality.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
A large, niche-audience Razer controller with an integrated screen?

You'll be lucky if it costs less than the computer on which you plan to use it.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
I actually kinda like the design of this thing, and if it were released you can bet your ass it'd sell. Only worry is that with something as specific as an integrated screen, will you even be able to use it on other games? And if so will that screen be able to do anything other than show a sea of black? Troubling concepts, but hopefully more will be revealed soon.
One thing's for sure though. I'd love to own one.