Readers of ASOIF: How stoked are you for Game of Thrones season 3? (SPOILERS)

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
I suppose it goes without saying I wouldn't have heard the urge to make a thread on this if I wasn't excited myself, but I've just watched a couple of season 2 episodes and it got me thinking about everything that's coming this season. So much so, I want to talk about it.

Again, I'm going to specify I'm aiming this at people who have read the books and know what's coming, so if you haven't read the books and love the TV series, for God's sake click the back button, go make yourself a coffee, put some Haim on via Youtube or something, go to Amazon and order the whole damn book series because you've failed as a human being.

Last warning. SPOILERS FROM HEREON IN.

Okay. So I have a problem. I was watching episodes from the latter half of the series, and I couldn't help but feel that the way he's portrayed in the show makes Roose Bolton a total badass. And I hate myself for thinking it because I know exactly what the Boltons become later on. Am I alone in that, or did they nail the casting for him?

And every scene between Robb and, erm, Miss-Not-Jeyne-Westerling makes me cringe (as does every single scene involving Theon). I know that the... event, happens early in the second half of book three, but do you think it's going to get brought forward a little? There's been a lot of little changes to streamline the show, and I think the RW could make for an exceptional end of season cliff hanger.

Finally, are there any characters you find yourself supporting on the show based on what you learn about them in later books? For example, I find myself really rooting for Stannis and Davos, because they both prove themselves to be balls-of-steel badasses in A Dance with Dragons; though they're still very dubious characters at this point in the series, and I find it hard to imagine myself sympathising with them if I was watching it fresh. By the same token, I feel like rooting for Robb (as one is obviously meant to be) a total waste of effort, and as I alluded to earlier it kinda dampens my enthusiasm for his scenes.

Things most stoked about: Ygritte, The Unsullied, the RW (possibly), Brienne and Jaime, the Blackfish, Barristan.

fezgod

Dec 7, 2012
As of right now, I'm indifferent to the actor who plays Roose Bolton, namely because he didn't have a lot of screentime in season 2 (as opposed to the books). But as long as his actor delivers
"Jamie Lannister sends his regards"
in the almost casual way Bolton does in the books, then my indifference will change to appreciation.

From what I understand, the RW is going to be near the end of the season, most likely the 9th episode since the penultimate episode of every season of GoT is typically the episode where the 'game' changes for the primary characters/families:
Eddard Stark's death in S1 and the Lannister victory against Stannis in S2

The character I'm definitely going to support this season is Jamie Lannister since this is the season where he becomes more fleshed out, hopefully the show does as good of job as the books did in changing him from one of the series' villains to a more heroic character.

Things most stoked about:
Jon Snow's story
Mance Rayder (I started watching Rome and I feel as though Ciaran Hinds could be a great Mance)
RW
"A dragon is no slave"
And, weirdly enough, Theon's plotline for this season mainly because of Ramsey Snow. While Joffrey is often the most hated character, Ramsey (for me at least) easily holds the title for the evilest character in Westeros. I'm not sure who they cast to play Bolton's Bastard, but I hope he is able to strongly portray the most despicable character in ASOIF to date.

makano

Nov 23, 2009
I am just going to sit back and watch my facebook explode about the death of Robb there all Stark fans haha.(i like the Lanisters better).

I am just hoping when we get to the RW that they don't cut lady stark getting her red smile or any of the more bloody and controversial parts of the books.

The Comedian

Dec 12, 2012
I'm really just waiting for the next book.
I don't like the shows anymore(Don't get me wrong. I watched the first season and loved it so much I had to read the books
now I can't stand the show
most of the cast is just annoying and I hate Robb and jon in the show
I might watch the episode with the Red Wedding just for the funn of seeing robb die

Gnmish

Feb 7, 2009
FargoDog said:
The ninth episode of the season is called The Rains of Castamere, so that seems a guarantee episode 9 is where the red wedding goes down.
Nice pick there FargoDog!

But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
with no one there to hear.

Love it!

Jiefu

May 24, 2010
Well, I don't have HBO, so not very! I'll buy it on BD when it comes out in like a year.

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
I'm somewhat concerned about the actor that was cast for Lord Bolton. He doesn't seem like the character from the book that much nor is he that interesting. Maybe when he gets more scenes *Shrugs*. I didn't mind that they made a new character to replace Jeyne Westerling but...Miss Volantis (Don't even remember her name) seems like a waste of space and air. I would have liked to see more of Stannis and Davos.

But I am still excited about this season and I eagerly await to see how Mance, Ramsey, and Daario are portrayed. The Blackfish and The Queen of Thorns might be very interesting as well. Oh yeah, and how
the RW plays out. Sadly, we most likely have to wait another season to see Joffrey die agonizingly.

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
Just finished watching the episode, and so far it seems like this season will be great!

My only real complaint are the scenes with Stannis, because they've completely ruined them. I don't consider myself much of a purist when it comes to convert books to movies or shows, but God they completely butchered his role. My inner Stannis fanboy was devastated to see just how utterly out-of-character and needlessly mean they made him.

Also, Tormund didn't talk about his member at all!

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
Really looking forward to The Red Wedding and for Jon to stop being such a damned emo pansy.

Question: I know this season is only suppose to follow the events until about mid way through book 3 (can't think of the title) are they going to mix in parts of book 4 too? The events in the two book happen simultaneously don't they? Or am I getting confused?

ardias014

Aug 31, 2009
The Red Wedding is at the end of this season, Walder Frey is credited in the last episode of the season.
makano said:
(i like the Lanisters better).
Wow, I mean really? Really!? You have read the series right? Tywin is an asshole on an ego trip who is only powerful due to an overabundance of shiny rocks. Cersei is completely insane and makes Ramsay Bolton look clever and intelligent in comparison. Joffery is like his mom and Aerys put together. I mean the only good ones are either kids: Myrcella and Tommen, or they are marginalized: Daven, Kevan and Tyrion.

OT: Sadly my favorite part of book 3 is not in this season. It seems like I will have to wait to see that a certain bastard doesn't shit gold. I am however looking forward to the Crow Come Over.

makano

Nov 23, 2009
ardias014 said:
The Red Wedding is at the end of this season, Walder Frey is credited in the last episode of the season.
makano said:
(i like the Lanisters better).
Wow, I mean really? Really!? You have read the series right? Tywin is an asshole on an ego trip who is only powerful due to an overabundance of shiny rocks. Cersei is completely insane and makes Ramsay Bolton look clever and intelligent in comparison. Joffery is like his mom and Aerys put together. I mean the only good ones are either kids: Myrcella and Tommen, or they are marginalized: Daven, Kevan and Tyrion.

OT: Sadly my favorite part of book 3 is not in this season. It seems like I will have to wait to see that a certain bastard doesn't shit gold. I am however looking forward to the Crow Come Over.

Some men want to watch the world burn. Fuck the fresh faced farm boy protagonists. Tywin is only doing what he does for his houses honor. The rest are only pawns in his goal true he does get the pointy end of a arrow.

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
Camaranth said:
Really looking forward to The Red Wedding and for Jon to stop being such a damned emo pansy.

Question: I know this season is only suppose to follow the events until about mid way through book 3 (can't think of the title) are they going to mix in parts of book 4 too? The events in the two book happen simultaneously don't they? Or am I getting confused?
It's books 4 (A feast for crows) and most of 5 (A dance of dragons) which happen simultaneously.

Scde2 said:
I'm somewhat concerned about the actor that was cast for Lord Bolton. He doesn't seem like the character from the book that much nor is he that interesting. Maybe when he gets more scenes *Shrugs*.
I didn't think Bolton was very interesting in the books either until he went to Harrenhal, though I don't remember exactly when that was.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Apparently the budget for this series is around 250% of that of the budget for either of the previous ones.
I don't want to sound like the devil's advocate but I wasn't too fond of the GoT TV series. There wasn't a good balance of intrigue and action, such as in the books. It was just loads and loads of talking. The fantasy and descriptions from the books were barely present. However, looking at the trailer for this season, it looks to get a lot better.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
The first episode was a bit shaky. Why is Robb Stark in Harrenhal? Who/why are all those dead Northmen (plus a Mallister? And Qyburn?!) there? Why no Bran storyline? Or Jamie and Brienne? Everything seemed to be moving too quickly with Dany - no wrap-up from Qarth, straight onto Astapor? Okay...

However, the Tywin/Tyrion scene was AWESOME, just as it was in the books. And the giant was really impressive.

Eldrig

Apr 25, 2011
makano said:
I am just going to sit back and watch my facebook explode about the death of Robb there all Stark fans haha.(i like the Lanisters better).

I am just hoping when we get to the RW that they don't cut lady stark getting her red smile or any of the more bloody and controversial parts of the books.
I agree, this will be damned entertaining. what's more, It'll be even more difficult to see coming because the actor isn't Sean Bean this time.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
In all honesty, as a huge fan of the books, I am not that bothered. I have it set to record, but I can't say I feel any hype towards it.

There are just too many unnecessary changes that they have made. Important character building moments replaced by pointless scenes with prostitutes and such. They keep skipping locations as well with no explanations as to how characters get there or why.

I will watch it, and probably enjoy it, but I am not expecting anything special. I am more interested in the next book that still doesn't have a release date.

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
Psykoma said:
He goes to Harrenhel somewhere in the second half of Clash of Kings. What bothers me so much about TV show Bolton is that the actor's voice is too...loud, I suppose. Also there's no leaches but I can't really blame the show for not working those in so far or at all. But there's really nothing unsettling about him in the show save for when he recommended to Robb to let him flay their prisoners, even then he just seems generic.

latenightapplepie said:
I have to agree about Episode 1. Everything seemed to have moved extremely fast, especially with Dany. And the whole point of Robb's scene was to introduce Qyburn(Couldn't that wait?) and to be a dick to Catelyn.

As a tiny side note Missandei sure looks old for a ten year old XD

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I really enjoyed it. I share the opinion that they move at a weird pace (wasn't expecting that scene from Astapor in the first episode), but I am used to the series taking some liberties with the way they introduce situations and characters (to the point you can spoil parts of the book if you follow the show, even when reading ahead of the series).

Overall, I liked it. I hope that its better than the 2nd season, which was a little underwhelming; and I am looking forward to the red wedding (at this point is pretty much sure its the end of this season).