Readers! what are you reading?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
First of all, welcome back Vault101! Awesome to have you back.

On to the topic, currently I'm reading:

- The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. A reread, it's fantastic even though the main character is a bit of a Mary Sue. I really love the low fantasy setting and it has a really cool take on magic.

- Storm Front by Jim Butcher. Another reread because I really felt like reading the Dresden Files again.

- An Inquiry Concerning Human Understanding by David Hume. Because I'm a philosophy nerd, but only do I need to read this for my Epistemology class, it's also an interesting read on its own right.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
At the moment I'm reading Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, and I plan on reading Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

I've never read a book by Pratchett at all, so that will be new for me, but I've read a lot by Gaiman, and I love his writing style and his stories. The Sandman being my favorite of his.

I normally read philosophy and history books since I'm boring. I rarely read something out of my "comfort zone" since they have to be really compelling for me to even bother with them, like historical fiction. Sometimes I like them and sometimes I don't It all depends on the writer really. :/

Browncoat86

Mar 27, 2008
Right now I'm reading Total Recall: My Unbelievable True Life Story by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Recently I've finished:

Wyrms by Orson Scott Card
The Trinity Game by Sean Chercover
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Almost done reading the Halo novel "Mortal Dictata" by Karen Traviss the third book in the "Kilo-Five" trilogy

After that I'll most likely move onto the Forerunner trilogy by Greg Bear since its the only series of Halo novels I haven't read yet.

bauke67

Apr 8, 2011
Due to recently no longer having to do mandatory reading for, I have started reading books that I wanted to read again. I have just finished Fight club,( and loved it, with it's violence and destruction, it's writing style and the great plot) and am now reading 1984, as it's supposed to be a classic that everyone has to read. I am curious to see how I like it.

thehermit2

Nov 1, 2009
The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss is really good. I just wrapped up book 2.
The Difference Engine by Bruce Sterling and William Gibson is a good book, if you like steampunk-before-it-was-steampunk. It's about the real world applications of 18th century clockwork computers.
Terry Pratchett is a great author and well worth reading. Very funny.
Lawrence Block is a favorite author of mine. His biggest series are his best, the Burglar series and the Matt Scudder mysteries. But he wrote this bizarre new age novel called Random Walk which is a good read, if you can find it.

thehermit2

Nov 1, 2009
The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss is really good. I just wrapped up book 2.
The Difference Engine by Bruce Sterling and William Gibson is a good book, if you like steampunk-before-it-was-steampunk. It's about the real world applications of 18th century clockwork computers.
Terry Pratchett is a great author and well worth reading. Very funny.
Lawrence Block is a favorite author of mine. His biggest series are his best, the Burglar series and the Matt Scudder mysteries. But he wrote this bizarre new age novel called Random Walk which is a good read, if you can find it.

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
I generally read either philosophy, or japanese novels(and visual novels)
Right now i am reading E.M. Cioran's "El libro de las Quimeras", i couldn't find the english title by googling it, but it would be something like The Chimera('s) book

I just finished reading Schopenhauer's "The Art of Being Right"

I am planning on getting Moribito II: Guardian of the Darkness sometime on the future, i haven't read the first one, but i watched the anime series and it was amazing

Blue_screen

Aug 28, 2009
Currently reading:

- The Vortex by José Eustasio Rivera (1924) - A chauvinist and his lover escape to the jungles of Colombia where they discover the appaling living conditions of those who work in the rubber industry.

- Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz (1905) - A love story between a pagan man and a christian woman during the rule of Emperor Nero, set in Ancient Rome.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
What are you reading now?
The Cuckoo's Calling, well ok I only read one prelogue and chapter at the moment (keep forgetting about it).

What do you like to read in general?
I guessing fantasy out of the collections of books I owned (Harry Potter, Eragon and Guild Wars related books).

Have you stepped out of your "comfort zone" at all recently?
Pretty much the current one since I got itnerested in detective stories thank to the games Hotel Dusk and Last Window but I didn't know a perticular detective book to read.

savageoblivi0n

Aug 7, 2008
Last thing I read was going back and re-reading Rama II by Arthur C. Clarke and Gentry Lee. Always been a book I loved but wanted to read it again to prepare for a Let's Play I plan on doing.

I tend to read anything I can get my hands on, but my first loves are sci-fi and horror. Fantasy and certain non-fiction can be close runner-ups though.

Recently the closest I've had to read out of my comfort zone was having to read Walden for my American Lit class.. I can't stand Thoreau, and always found that book to be one of the most irritating reads ever assigned.

TheMiseryGamer

Feb 3, 2014
I was recently reading Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson which is the second book in his Stormlight Archive series and so far its absolutely fantastic and bound to get better! All of Sanderson's novels are worth at least 3 or 4 reads in my opinion. I'm also slowly collecting the original Spawn graphic novel series and The Amazing Spiderman.

Brent Weeks Night Angel and Lightbringer books are very good as well as Patrick Rothfuss's King Killer Chronicles.

As you can probably tell I love Fantasy novels but I can always delve into a Warhammer 40K book! I adore the Gaunts Ghosts series by Dan Abnett read all of them at 10 times going to go for my 11th soon :3

I also recently read Fault in Our Stars which my GF made me read it was okay for trashy bestseller novel but nothing worth re-reading.

Reading All Quiet on the Western Front as well just because I haven't yet and feel like I should.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
The Funslinger said:
I'm currently about 40-45% through Stephen King's It. As with basically any Stephen King novel, I'm loving it. I love how similar it is to a TV show in its use of flashbacks and recollection. It's the sort of thing that could have been poorly written, but here is in safe hands.

My girlfriend is on the second Song of Ice and Fire novel. I want her to hurry up and finish the set so I can stop holding onto all these spoilers! D:
Stephen king can make anything work, like a guy being killed by a floating coke machine that chases him I'm tommy knockers...I'd recommend that one too, I
Also really liked Delores Claiborne, it's quite a different style

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
What am I reading now?
Space Wolf by William King, The Story of the Stone by Cao Xueqin and Digging to America by Anne Tyler

What do I like to read in general?
Literary fiction and Japanese popular fiction are my favorites. But I'm pretty broad in my tastes, really.

Have you stepped out of your "comfort zone" at all recently?
Yep! I started reading a Warhammer 40,000 novel the other day that a fellow here recommended, and tomorrow I'll start reading the Harry Potter books.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I went back to read some Issac Asimov. Currently on I, Robot, and planning to pick up the Federation (uh is that right?) trilogy later on.

Might go back even further and reread some Poe. I'm in the mood for Pit and the Pendulum.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I just started reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone this evening. It's been a few years since I've gone through the series and I like going back and re-reading those every so many years.

In general, I do like reading. I just don't read very often...I read graphic novels more than actual books and I greatly appreciate OP recognizing sequential art as being legitimate reading material.

When it comes to my comfort zone...well it's easy to step out of it since I mainly read sequential art. Another genre I love which is under-represented is comedic sci-fi and comedic fantasy. I am completely unsure of where to go for comedic, contemporary sci-fantasy though...I don't stray too far though; I'll always read something light and fun and I almost never read non-fiction...especially since the gaming magazines I liked died.

I have a number of graphic novels on my wish list and am either going to get Punisher: Circle of Blood or one of three DC Showcase collections (Justice League, Teen Titans or, Booster Gold). I still haven't read Jam either...and I can always go back and re-read Mogworld since it's been a while.

Vladimir Stamenov

Nov 8, 2011
Reading Great Expectations by the great Dickens and trying to simultaneously read Books of Blood by Clive Barker and Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
I have a number of graphic novels on my wish list and am either going to get Punisher: Circle of Blood or one of three DC Showcase collections (Justice League, Teen Titans or, Booster Gold). I still haven't read Jam either...and I can always go back and re-read Mogworld since it's been a while.
I love comics...I don't read superheroes though, I think eather the apeal is there it or isn't...there are many great non superhero books though, it's a Shame I think not enough people know that