Ready For A Giant Robot Duel? Japan Accepts America's Challenge

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I cant tell if this is a joke taken too far, or the natural progression of human entertainment. But its pretty friggan glorious either way, and i'll proudly tell my grandchildren i was around for the first real giant robot fight in history.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Ouh that was a faster respons than I was expecting!
THIS IS GOING TO BE SO AWESEOME!!!

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Yo!
I'm buyin' a front-row seat to this nonsense, I gotta see this.

And I'm for patriotic pride and all, but my money's on Kurata, just sayin'.

talker

Nov 18, 2011
This'll be something to tell the grandkids.

And as for who'd win, I'm not too sure. Megabot has more weight, but Suidobashi's bot had three legs in the video, meaning extra stability...

Ah well. Whoever loses will probably buy all their employees the inevitable themed plushies, so everybody wins!

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
This is the apex of hype. I freaking can't wait.
And I love the "giant robot and put guns on it, classic american". Made me laugh.

Captcha "born to run". But Captcha, I want to pilot a mecha, not run from it!

*Puts tin foil anime hat on* This is just a concept of proof for Giant robots to be viable in military use. Soon the Holy Britannia Empire will invade Japan and the rest of the world.

EDIT: How soon until we get a weapon that surpass the Metal Gear?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I like that both parties went full on into this.
After the American challenge, having the Japanese designer wear a rising sun flag was the only appropriate response...

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
MarsAtlas said:
Hey everybody, its finally happening!

ROBOT JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOX!

Cowabungaa said:
If the Americans are going to say "Hell yeah!" to the wish to do melee combat... Words fail to describe my desire to witness this if that's going to be the case.
That would be an odd decision from my perspective, seeing as how Americans worship guns.
Oh don't take us wrong. We worship violence in all of its delicious forms. Guns are merely one expression! The true artist uses every tool at his disposal.

Briggins

Mar 22, 2009
This is the beginning of Real Steel [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433035/], I'm calling it.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
This is fucking retarded. Both robots need people driving them so barely any real damage can be done without risking injury. No one is going to put their kneecaps on the line for a fucking robot battle.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
While I agree that melee is always cooler, in this case it seems like it would be a safety hazard.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Please let this be uploaded to YouTube...

Also: This seems a lot like a big pissing contest but if this catches on then a giant robot fighting league could see dramatic and rapid improvements to robotics on a scale that the average person can have running around a house helping out with cleaning, cooking and stuff like that.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Westaway said:
This is fucking retarded. Both robots need people driving them so barely any real damage can be done without risking injury. No one is going to put their kneecaps on the line for a fucking robot battle.
Yeah, if they were unmanned they still wouldn't do much damage on account of these things costing millions of dollars each.

OT: OHHHHHH BOY! Robot fighting as a sport. Make it happen! NAHO!

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
So, Battlebots is back, and on network TV no less. Now we have...THIS. Clearly the next logical step is to get robots of a size between the two, and get them in the ring across Dwayne Johnson and the Undertaker for the greatest display of staged bullshit ever.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
ObsidianJones said:
Oh my God.

Oh my sweet Zombie Jesus.

Are you... do you... We're here...

Do you get this?! We're here! Giant Droughts foretold [http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2015/01/climate-change-farmers-midwest], 3d printed Limbs [http://enablingthefuture.org/tag/3d-printed-prosthetics/], Feelable Holograms [http://www.newsweek.com/scientists-have-invented-3d-holograms-289551], Biofoam [http://www.cryolife.com/about/research/biofoam], Cops who think they are the law and feel they can execute anyone at any time (not linking that)!

We can either end up in Mega City or some Syndicate shit right now. I was always hoping for a more Shadowrun turn of things, but I'll take this too!
Transmetropolitan, do you speak it?

I hope that other countries get in on this, and we have something sort of like the Olympics.. but for giant robot battles. I shed a tear writing that sentence...

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Charcharo said:
Will be interesting.

Still...

Giant Robots are a bad military design and will NEVER be useful. Just target practice for better machines...
Pretty sure the developers are probably making the robots for other reasons, that aren't military in nature.

ChaoGuy2006

Sep 6, 2014
On the political side, war machines used without the cost of human loss on one side can turn the tide of battle. Which is great if we're pointing them at the right people (I.e. not an illegal war or used for crime-prevention in your own country).

On the other hand,
Please please PUH-LEASE let this be streamed somewhere!

ChaoGuy2006

Sep 6, 2014
Happyninja42 said:
Charcharo said:
Will be interesting.

Still...

Giant Robots are a bad military design and will NEVER be useful. Just target practice for better machines...
Pretty sure the developers are probably making the robots for other reasons, that aren't military in nature.
Military tends to be the first port of call for any new tech, finding other uses later.
One day it's used to lift heavy machinery, then it's used to lift rubble.
One day it's a mobile turret or AA gun, the next it's a mobile beacon to help at airports.

And now, we're gonna get them to beat each other into spare parts.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Finally, the future is here!

And no offence the the Japs, but my money is on the US machine here.
If we were talking about a boxing match, maybe the smaller more agile fighter has a chance, but between these robots? Unless the Jap machine starts doing some ninja stuff, then the US machine seems much more suited for a slugging contest.

catchpra: are you ready? Yes I am catchproa, yes I am...