Ready Player One, AKA Nerd Fandom: The Movie

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
I really enjoyed the book but skeptical about the film adaptation. It looks OK but...that's all

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Silentpony said:
So it's just an upgraded version of Pixels. An attempt to mass market to the corporate definition of "geek". Gross. The 80s should stay dead.
I'd say that's incredibly unfair, and wildly inaccurate. At least of the book, which one would hope will be a primary influence on the film... i.e. be something more than just references.

The book's not exactly a classic by any means, and I found the referential nature of it quite irritating at times, but ultimately it's about--- well, as the poster of the film puts it; 'A Better Reality Awaits'. It's about an escape from the real world and all its complex, unsolvable problems, into worlds that cater to their every egoistic, reality/responsibility-defying whim.

Without spoilers, it's not exactly a rejection of that after all the indulgent pop-culture wallowing, but it kinda sorta is. Hopefully the film perhaps expands and deepens that. The trailer doesn't suggest it, but trailers are often complete BS anyway, given they're just designed to get people through the doors.

Then again it is a Spielberg film, and I'm convinced he doesn't understand the culture/s the book comments on, so won't be able to make much of a commentary on anything. Cline co-wrote the screenplay, but the trailer seems to suggest a kind of corporate, Western oriented contemporary mishmash of references, which is understandable given all the rights issues, but takes the edge off the books more authorial tone.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I had made a thread on the Comic-con trailer months and reading the comments from there, I'm one of the minority that LOVED the book! Like what the hell people?! Yes I know people are entitled to their opinion but I have yet encounter another person on here that share the same passion for that book as I do! It also suprised me that my brother (I let him borrow it last Summer) ends up liking the books!

From the trailer, I am hyped and excited for the film especially when we got a film released, just like the first trailer, I can see how different it will be when comparing the book althought some bit is probably padding (seeing everyone reaction to the creator last Will).

Still, seeing this new trailer has some hope in me that they will be somewhat faithful to the book due to seeing an unexpected cameo. No it wasn't Tracer and Chun Li, that threw me off guard (it was seeing glimspe of the iconic mech that was method in the book)!!

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Okay. I'll try to approach this as optimistically as I can:

Right now is probably the place and the time to engage with the mythologizing of low-brow popular culture and a movie dealing with it could potentially be meaningful and emotionally resonant if approached gracefully and and intelligently.

but this... doesn't seem like it's that. A story like that would have needed the eye of someone like Paul Thomas Anderson or Zack Snyder, maybe even Edgar Wright, if you want to go for humor, but Spielberg and his cynical, emotionally manipulative style of movie making, isn't gonna be able to to turn this into something that's greater than the sume of its parts. And those parts are a bunch of old, dusty action figures in an overweight neckbeards attic where everyone would have done better to just leave them alone, rather than put them in a fruit jar to ejaculate all over them.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Neverhoodian said:
Huh, I didn't know Overwatch was part of 80's nostalgia. You learn something new every day.
While the Easter Egg hunt is about the 80s, the rest of Oasis isn't necessarily so.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
I had made a thread on the Comic-con trailer months and reading the comments from there, I'm one of the minority that LOVED the book! Like what the hell people?! Yes I know people are entitled to their opinion but I have yet encounter another person on here that share the same passion for that book as I do! It also suprised me that my brother (I let him borrow it last Summer) ends up liking the books!
I mean, I don't like books so I can't compare them. One of the issues (and it's part of why I don't like books) is that a lot of bibliophiles can be considered snobbish. My mom is one. She regularly criticizes my choice of reading manga and comics (which is better for me since I have a learning disability and can comprehend stories better with pictures). I read stuff like Case Closed, One Piece and Watchmen and they're not considered real books to a lot of people. They're just drawing for kids for these people.

A lot of people that read books a lot can be as bad and obnoxious as the PC Master Race stereotype.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Seems incredibly cringy to be perfectly honest, not to mention the actor playing the main character sounds like he's phoning it in. Also that opening quip about "his Dad died before he was a kid and oh Mom did too" was pretty bad though I haven't read the book so I can't tell if it was meant to come off like it or not.

Neverhoodian said:
Huh, I didn't know Overwatch was part of 80's nostalgia. You learn something new every day.
I reckon some Blizzard bucks have changed hands for that inclusion.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'll probably go see it. I loved the book, and this looks like a blast! But I'm probably in the minority here.

Well screw all y'all, I'm seeing it anyway!

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
RaikuFA said:
my choice of reading manga and comics (which is better for me since I have a learning disability and can comprehend stories better with pictures).
Hehe, learning disability or not I'd certainly call today's lack of patience and imagination a disability on its own right.

Nothing about you specifically, just got me wondering.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Yeah the whole 'spot the pop culture reference' was alright way back when Shrek came out. By Shrek 2 it was already stale.

Then again Family Guy survived doing almost nothing but, so maybe it'll find an audience after all.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Scarim Coral said:
Yes I know people are entitled to their opinion but I have yet encounter another person on here that share the same passion for that book as I do!
Yo here. :3

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
I read that paragraph that has been floating around Twitter, the one about the main guy's avatar's DeLorean and that pretty much told me everything I needed to know about the book and by extension, the film.

Maybe that's not really fair but fuck me, this shit is awful:

I made a big entrance when I arrived in my flying DeLorean, which I'd obtained by completing a Back to the Future quest on the planet Zemeckis. The DeLorean came outfitted with a (nonfunctioning) flux capacitor, but I'd made several additions to its equipment and appearance. First, I'd installed an artificially intelligent onboard computer named KITT (purchased in an online auction) into the dashboard, along with a matching red Knight Rider scanner just above the DeLorean's grill. Then I'd outfitted the car with an oscillation overthruster, a device that allowed it to travel through solid matter. Finally, to complete my '80s super-vehicle theme, I'd slapped a Ghostbusters logo on each of the DeLorean's gull-wing doors, then added personalized plates that read ECTO-88.

I'd had it only a few weeks now, but my time-traveling, Ghost Busting, Knight Riding, matter-penetrating DeLorean had already become my avatar's trademark.
https://twitter.com/etdragonpunch/status/939927831869407232

Planet Zemeckis. Fucking hell.

Disclaimer: if you like this book, I'm not judging you. There is nothing wrong with consuming fluff and I read my share of Micheal Crichton back in the day. But come on. This writing is not good.

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
As a gamer,this really does not hit any of the right notes. First, if you read the novel you will be disappointed with how this ends. Unless the studio decided to change it,the book was predictable. Its story could have changed when it was made under a movie contract , i am just not interested in finding out.

What i am really impressed by is the license deals between all those game makers. As Ip's names to be just mentions, cost between a million to tens of millions. Even the short "tracer" avatar which might be around only one to two minutes, would cost at least a cool ten or more.

It will make money, but that still does not guarantee that it will be any good.

Apr 17, 2009
So, a guy who's real life is terrible finds out that in fact he's really super-duper awesome at a Thing He Loves and just so happen this is whats going to save the world? Is the big final twist going to be that he was in the VR the whole time and he's not really saved the world it was just the plot of the game? Because otherwise it just sounds kind of...overdone

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
McElroy said:
RaikuFA said:
my choice of reading manga and comics (which is better for me since I have a learning disability and can comprehend stories better with pictures).
Hehe, learning disability or not I'd certainly call today's lack of patience and imagination a disability on its own right.

Nothing about you specifically, just got me wondering.
I blame MTV.