Real-Life Superheroes Become Bitter Archenemies

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Real-Life Superheroes Become Bitter Archenemies

Petoskey Batman and Bee Sting, two real-world costumed heroes, have publicly turned on each other following a Michigan Protectors leadership dispute.

Apparently, some comic book fans sat down to watch <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/7949-Kick-Ass-2>the Kick-Ass movies and decided they were inspirational videos instead of superhero parodies. Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure how to explain the real-world costumed figures that have been popping up, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113621-Seattle-Superhero-Arrested-For-Pepper-Spray-Assault>the most noticeable being the controversial Phoenix Jones. Several cities now feature street-patrolling champions, complete with superhero teams and code-names, all without so much as a comic book convention to host them. Unfortunately, comic book logic and human nature dictate that eventually, two former friends must turn on each other to become rivals and archenemies. Such an event has been brewing in East Jordan, Michigan, where Petoskey Batman and Bee Sting have become mired in death threats, welfare infractions, and parole violations among other personal attacks.

"He is an abusive, neglectful, thieving, boastful, cowardly crook," said Mark "Petoskey Batman" Williams. "He belongs in jail and I will see him there."

Adam Besso, Bee Sting's alter ego, also doesn't have anything kind to say about his former compatriot. "He has to tear others down to feel better about himself," he said. "He's like Lord of the Flies with a slightly better version of dirt bags."

Besso originally invited Williams to join his superhero patrol in 2011, where the two quickly became close friends. "We were brothers," Williams said. "I loved him as much as I love my own blood family." As time went on however, Besso's fellow superheroes became concerned about his behavior, noting that he carried a gun on patrol and frequently made decisions without consulting the rest of his group. Eventually, several Michigan Protector members suggested Williams be made leader, creating tensions between the pair that have only escalated over time.

To their credit, neither Besso or Williams appear to be taking to a costumed brawl to settle the score. Instead, Williams is calling for Besso to be arrested for a variety of crimes and probation violations, from driving with a suspended license to misusing welfare cards to feed the homeless. Then there's the personal attacks: Besso has criticized Williams for having two girlfriends, while Williams has accused Besso of cheating on his fiancee. More concerning is that one of Williams friends asked for Besso's address so her friends could "take him out back and shoot him", a threat she retracted after speaking with Besso.

I certainly enjoy the occasional superhero showdown when it's in a comic book, but this is real-life, and it just makes me feel sad. I also imagine it's not going to end well for either Besso or Williams. Barring the appearance of a real-world supervillain that forces Bee Sting and Petoskey Batman to team-up, we're more likely to see either the end of a friendship or a ridiculous court case that makes anyone wearing a costume look bad.

Source: Bleeding Cool

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Where's a supervillain that exists as a greater threat to unify them to a common cause when you need one?

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Jesus, I thought just cosplaying was bad but this taking the privilege of being silly and abusing it. Fuck, if you can spin a web, have scary strength but look like a string with knots in or can otherwise do something that a normal dude can't, then go ahead and fight crime while looking silly.

However, if you're just a guy in a silly suit, leave the crime to people with training and actual power to arrest people. (I know citizens arrest is a thing but still) If I am being a little insulting to police, they wear a silly uniform and fight crime ... why not just be a cop? Gives you a form of power at least ...

They could be diffusing crimes through laughter 'cos I know if I was committing a crime and a "real life superhero" tried to stop me, I physically couldn't continue from laughing so hard. "I am the hero Gaylord needs!" (yeah, there is a place is Michigan called Gaylord. Though I don't know if this feud is happening there).

Though if they do have a fight, can they do it at Battle creek? It would be so perfect!

Jaximus Decimus

Sep 10, 2013
Fanghawk said:
a ridiculous court case that makes anyone wearing a costume look bad.
Yeah, because that's what will make people who dress up as superheroes and roam the streets look bad.

There needs to be a superhero themed version of LARP'ing or something. Maybe then these people could get this crap out of their systems. "Patrolling" the streets dressed as Batman isn't going to curb crime and the moment these people start taking real action against pushers and pimps we're going to start seeing these caped crusaders on the news, dead from multiple gunshot wounds.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
"What makes you better than me?"
"I'M NOAUGHT WARING HAUKY PAAAAAANTS!"

I don't know, this is kind of stupid really. Both guys look pretty scummy. Of course, as Watchmen already told us, you have to have some issues to walk around in a costume and fight people... maybe they should just stick to feeding those homeless.

Jaximus Decimus

Sep 10, 2013
ccdohl said:
*roam the streets.
Touché.

The thing is, anyone can call 911 if they see trouble, or help homeless people. You don't have to dress up in a costume to do that. Normal people don't feel like they need to wear a mask when performing a good deed. These people look touched in the head to most normal folks.

This whole fake superhero thing is just some sort of fantasy/wish fulfillment thing, but this is the real world, not Marvel comics. Go to a con if you're into that sort of thing, don't pepper spray people in Seattle.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Jaximus Decimus said:
we're going to start seeing these caped crusaders on the news, dead from multiple gunshot wounds.
With them popping up all over the place now I am surprised it hasn't happened already, that cage fighter could certainly handle a fist fight for example but what happened if he pissed somebody enough to shoot him or run him over with a car?

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
That place must be fucking boring if they have that much spare time on their hands.

I'd say this is ripe for a reality show, but then I realized that if I wanted to see a bunch of pathetic assholes argue with each other in gimp suits, I could have moved back to Las Vegas.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
This is like a bad movie...
Seriously, I know there are these neighbourhood watch things in some places if there has been a growth of criminal activity, but this... C'mon people...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dumbasses being petty dumbasses in public.

*grabs popcorn*

Trishbot said:
Where's a supervillain that exists as a greater threat to unify them to a common cause when you need one?
That only happens at the end of the first act. Sometimes during the second.

DoctorImpossible

Jan 18, 2013
At least most of these people can come up with their own gimmick. But "Petoskey Batman"? Really? That guy's true archnemesis is creativity.

Jaximus Decimus

Sep 10, 2013
ccdohl said:
Have you seen the movie about real life super heroes that is/was on netflix? It's pretty good.
I have seen it. It was enjoyable to watch, but it seemed like most of the "superheroes" had either crippling social issues or some form of mental illness. Granted, they may have cut most of the people that weren't whack-jobs from the documentary because crazy people are just more entertaining. Still, the one guy ended up living in a van and one of the others (older guy in all silver I think) seemed to only be walking around dressed like that for attention and to pick up women.

J Tyran said:
Jaximus Decimus said:
we're going to start seeing these caped crusaders on the news, dead from multiple gunshot wounds.
With them popping up all over the place now I am surprised it hasn't happened already, that cage fighter could certainly handle a fist fight for example but what happened if he pissed somebody enough to shoot him or run him over with a car?
The reason we haven't seen it yet is because these people just aren't even enough of a threat to bother with. Even a crack dealer knows it's not worth the trouble/murder charges to take out what basically amounts to a minor annoyance. If any of these people go full-on vigilante (bound to happen eventually, right?), then things will get a lot more serious.