Real live tactics used online (can they work?)

Garaw

Sep 22, 2009
Mercanary57 said:
EDIT: However, this does not work as well as it does in real life, simply because the player would not really lose anything by walking into the bullets, as he would simply respawn.
This. Suppressing fire is a big part of modern tactics. Preventing someone from returning fire because they're flat on the ground trying not to get their ass shot off doesn't work in a video game, because the concept of fearing bodily harm doesn't translate well.

Deathman101

Sep 22, 2009
The_Prophet said:
www.neotokyohq.com
There you go. Yes they work and yes they must be used.
<3 Neotokyo
Garaw said:
This. Suppressing fire is a big part of modern tactics. Preventing someone from returning fire because they're flat on the ground trying not to get their ass shot off doesn't work in a video game, because the concept of fearing bodily harm doesn't translate well.
Arena type games help, where you have no respawn, but, like in any other game, you will play again. Diablo 2 Hardcore beats this, but sadly the game isnt meant for it.

maeson

Nov 2, 2009
NEOTOKYOo (the last o should be hanging up there) Isn't realistic, yes. BUT! It is very and I mean VEEERY squad-play centric. Constant communication between people is a must. Especially from the ghost carrier. A carrier with his/her head screwed on right, a working mic and someone able to take simple directions can decimate the enemy forces.
One of the most wildly used tactics other than "calling out" enemies and having your team take care of them, is baiting. People don't know they're doing it, but they are. When someone picks up a ghost, they are immediately the target of attention by every player in the map. Usually, the enemies will try their best to take care of the ghost carrier. Now, people tend to use this, while enemies have their attention on the carrier, some people sneak around the enemies and hit em from behind. The carrier unknowingly becomes the bait in an unplanned trap, that sometimes works, sometimes don't.

It was at the beginning of my gaming addictions that I realized suppressive fire rarely, if ever, worked. And one simple tactic seems to have escaped the 101 Edition of their "Digital Battlefield Survival Guide". n What the players don't do, is not doing a damn thing. Players are geared to act. Ready-Fire! You just go. Though, yes, it works, I'll give that, but it usually ends up with the player staring at the spawn screen after killing 2 or so other players. This is very important when it comes to flanking or when you try to sneak past the enemies and your friend just spawned on you and "Oh look! Enemies!" Some people also have trouble sitting tight in a hole, to wait for the enemies to go away and leave a flag and/or some vehicles unguarded.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
bagodix said:
Idlemessiah said:
Course it works. I play lots of tf2 and if you're not against a completely rubbish team you actually have to use tactics.
Haha, what? Real life tactics have zero relevance in TF2.
Hey, hey. In my 2 years of playing I've used flanking manouvers like, a whole 3 times!
Plus I recon that real life combat would be better with tf2 tactics =)

"Let our nations settle this conflict by trying to blow each others headquarter up with explosive mine carts!"

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
In pvp in wow we always moved out team constantly so that we could lure the enemies. attacking a structure so that the enemy team would get a warning like
"Warning: one of your structures is under attack"
Then when the enemies wore checking it out we charged in and made them focus on the front lines while our other half of the team flanked them with aoe spells.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Ultrajoe said:
Not necessarily what you meant, but not employing basic deployment strategies in a WoW battleground is certain defeat. The ability to flank, slow and halt the enemy from reaching objectives is much more complex than the individual thrashing of other dudes. You need field awareness, communication and foresight even more in an environment where everyone respawns 0-30 seconds after they die. Arena, now that is a... yeah... not a fan, personally.

As for how 'real' these tactics are in a game, I cannot say, I have never commanded men into battle with swords and magic (Though I keep praying). But I can say that ignoring the realities of the battlefield is a good way to get rolled 1600-40 in the Basin. Hell, even Morale has it's part. A team talking and in good spirits reacts faster and plays better than one telling each other to shut up and give up.
I would say you're looking really too far into this, except for the fact that it's all true.

However, it seems that only 1-2 other people (tops) in the BG understand the depth that exists.

But usually if a healer glues themselves to me, I can wreck and keep wrecking, and people tend to listen to or rally behind top KB and top damage players. So when 6 other people charge Blacksmith with me, oh believe me, we'll fucking take it.

I really wish people knew how to CC people going to flags. A simple blind, fear, trap, stun, hex, sheep, anything... -.-;

~~~~~

But yeah, these "real life tactics" are applied in any team game where you wish to surprise and out-play your opponents, especially Quake, CS, and other games that involve camping a room until people come through 3 entrances at once and one of them kill you.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
They could be possible, but it's nearly impossible to pull off because:

a) You can't just carry out a tactical plan on the spot online. You need some preparation and planning before jumping into the match.

b) Your team will not agree to do it

c) Your team is too stupid to pull it off

d) You can't do it mid-game because your team is going to be scattered all around the map due to spawn points, and there will definitely be at least one enemy in your area so they will easily backstab you while you do your "tactical thing".

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
I don't think they could work in Modern Warfare or Halo. However, I have met SWAT and police in Rainbow Six 3 and SWAT 4, and they typically try to use real life tactics (well, at least that's what they claimed).

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
Tactics? Tactics? Tactics are for wussies! Real men charge right in! And when they get surrounded, they laugh because then they have enemies to shoot at every direction!

YuheJi said:
I don't think they could work in Modern Warfare or Halo. However, I have met SWAT and police in Rainbow Six 3 and SWAT 4, and they typically try to use real life tactics (well, at least that's what they claimed).
SWAT Dude 1: Man, our jobs are really stressful.
SWAT Dude 2: Yeah. Let's play video games to get some change to our daily grind!
SWAT Dude 1: Okay, what about playing SWAT 4?
SWAT Dude 2: Excellent idea.

Kaisikudo said:
3) Say NO to the "nasty kill" - We've all experienced this before ... you see a sniper camping in front of you, so rather than just shooting him you decide to be "really nasty" and get up behind him for a melee kill, only to have him turn around at the last second and shoot you in the face. It's never worth it. Unless he's already close enough, don't waste your time. A bullet in the back of the skull will do the job MUCH quicker.
You may have a point there but doing it like that is just BOOOORIIIING.

Also, seeing the ragdoll fly from a cliff is worth it!

BlueCrossBlueShield

Jul 18, 2009
Distorted Stu said:
Me and a few mates love the tatical shooters. So when we manage to get on MW2 we try our hardest to do some form of tatical manouver. We have had multiple tatics, ranging from AC130 clear path towards target and we just follow the gun fire.

The best though was this morning on Estate. The enemy were camped inside the house (as always). Whole team was equipt with cold blooded and silencers, we didnt want to give ourselves away for this one. Had a small group of people located ont he front door. 3 at the back ready near the greenhouse, a guy waiting ont he ramp that leads intot he balcony and a guy downstairs where the bar is. One count of 3 we flash banged & stunned the shit out of every room. They were coming thru the doors, 2nd story windows & the stairs. We all then charged in and cleared the place out. Good shit was good.
That sounds awesome!

BlueCrossBlueShield

Jul 18, 2009
Unknower said:
Tactics? Tactics? Tactics are for wussies! Real men charge right in! And when they get surrounded, they laugh because then they have enemies to shoot at every direction!

YuheJi said:
SWAT Dude 1: Man, our jobs are really stressful.
SWAT Dude 2: Yeah. Let's play video games to get some change to our daily grind!
SWAT Dude 1: Okay, what about playing SWAT 4?
SWAT Dude 2: Excellent idea.

Kaisikudo said:
3) Say NO to the "nasty kill" - We've all experienced this before ... you see a sniper camping in front of you, so rather than just shooting him you decide to be "really nasty" and get up behind him for a melee kill, only to have him turn around at the last second and shoot you in the face. It's never worth it. Unless he's already close enough, don't waste your time. A bullet in the back of the skull will do the job MUCH quicker.
You may have a point there but doing it like that is just BOOOORIIIING.

Also, seeing the ragdoll fly from a cliff is worth it!
Man, I just love your sense of humor!

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
almightywabbit said:
Oh Christ...

There comes a time Children when you have to think to yourselves. "Am I really this sad".

It's really hard to articulate how immensely depressing this is. You guys are ACTUALLY taking mindless shooter games where the objective is to kill everything in sight and turning it into a Stratagy game.

I'm sure with time I can articulate a better way of saying this but. This is just obsession. If you want military tactics, go to Iraq, I'm sure the X buttons will save you. And you'll respawn. Promise.
What's the big deal? I mean did you read that story about the team who took down the enemy campers like a SWAT team? They charged with flash-bangs, had silenced guns, and flanked on all sides. Strategy makes a difference for me. I don't get owned and yell "HAX0RS!" because I look around corners and check camping spots. It's not that stupid. It's stupid, but not that stupid.