Reality Bites

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Considering the quality of your work and how you dipped into her potential insanity during the height of her hallucinations, I'd love to see where EDA can go with it.

The title is just a little unsettling. Long live Suchong!!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ouch. Hope you feel better soon Gray. I remember when I had cavities...wasn't fun.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
Not sure if intended or desired, but I'm aboard the EDA hype train. Looking forward to it.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
This pleases me greatly. I'd love more character driven bits.

And who hated your attempts at long form story telling? Those were the best ones. Tell us, and we'll have them burned at the stake as heretics!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Gray's a Brit too? Hey Escapist, I need a job, hire me! I've made more cups'a tea then a Starbucks and I don't even drink the stuff.

OT: I hope you feel better.

P.S. That female dentist is cute.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
So, did anyone else find that the dentist from the comic reminded them of a certain other dentist?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Thanks, Oba....Wait, this Obamacare joke probably doesn't work if the subject is not American.

Fox12 said:
And who hated your attempts at long form story telling? Those were the best ones. Tell us, and we'll have them burned at the stake as heretics!
Check pretty much every single comic that was part of one of those arcs.

Jan 12, 2012
The other two will be part of a new series called Erin Dies Alone. In EDA we'll be focusing on a slightly more damaged version of Erin and her adventures (*or not adventures, as the entire strip takes place in her single bedroom apartment) with a more stable cast of videogame character hallucinations. While they share a similar premise, EDA will be a far gentler, more character-driven comic than CM. Still funny, hopefully, but in a more thoughtful way.
So it's a gentler piece that focuses on a mentally ill woman stuck inside a tiny apartment with her hallucinations, with the implication that she dies there? Either you or I don't understand the word "gentle" in this context.

Fox12 said:
Yo. I'm not opposed to it per se, but a lot of the CM story arcs feel unnaturally maudlin. It's one thing to have a character in a comedy series sometimes hang out with video game characters, but when CM takes a turn for drama and tries to talk about mental illness it comes off like a Lifetime movie.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
'Route Kanal'? Ermagerd, tell us what you know of Half-Life 3! Tell usssss..

Good luck with the increased workload.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I feel sorry for Grey, I really do; having that sort of work in my outh is one of worst fears.

That said, what's with this "British people have horrible teeth" stereotype? I don't know anyone with horrible teeth. And although I may not have the pearly white shine of a movie star I'm 27 and have never had any dental work despite going every year regularly - not even a filling.

So unless everyone else in every other country in the world has perfectly straight, white teeth I don't see how we earned this terrible mantle!

Aug 31, 2012
Proverbial Jon said:
I feel sorry for Grey, I really do; having that sort of work in my outh is one of worst fears.

That said, what's with this "British people have horrible teeth" stereotype? I don't know anyone with horrible teeth. And although I may not have the pearly white shine of a movie star I'm 27 and have never had any dental work despite going every year regularly - not even a filling.

So unless everyone else in every other country in the world has perfectly straight, white teeth I don't see how we earned this terrible mantle!
It's one of those American things, we tend to go for orthodontics and teeth whitening a lot less than them, and up until recently (and still to some extent) that included news readers, media personalities etc etc and on TV/cinema etc you tend to get a lot of close ups of peoples faces so you notice imperfections more, especially when all your own celebrities look like Guy Smiley [edit: shit...coulda sworn he had a completely flat & white top mono-tooth thing. My memory fails me in my old age]

As for why British and no one else, part sticking it to the ex colonial overlords and part relative exposure to other cultures.

Thunderous Cacophony said:
So it's a gentler piece that focuses on a mentally ill woman stuck inside a tiny apartment with her hallucinations, with the implication that she dies there? Either you or I don't understand the word "gentle" in this context.
Yeah...that sounds particularly sad to me.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Fox12 said:
This pleases me greatly. I'd love more character driven bits.

Here here! I think that a ,for lack of a better word, dedicated strip will really enrich Erin's character

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
Well, when I discoverd CM, i read through all the strips in a few day (during down times mostly) and a trip this intensive has left it's mark.
I am excited for EDA, loved the stories about Erins live. Good luck with that, although 4 strips a week sound like A LOT of work.
Maybe one CM and one EDA per week would be more sustainable?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
So, Erin Dies Alone... Are we going for a slightly more somber Critical Miss, or something along the lines of Warbot in Accounting? [http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/]

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Cool. :) I'm all for this, should be neat to see how this goes.

Also, I hope the old ones didn't drive your dentist insane. I got a check up in a week myself.

Great art Cory! :D Love all the little details.