Reality Bites

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Scars Unseen said:
So, Erin Dies Alone... Are we going for a slightly more somber Critical Miss, or something along the lines of Warbot in Accounting? [http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/]

I can't tell if the robot was trying to help and now it feels guilt, was trying to put him in problems and succeded, or he just did what it usually does and now relaized its mistake.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
CaitSeith said:
Scars Unseen said:
So, Erin Dies Alone... Are we going for a slightly more somber Critical Miss, or something along the lines of Warbot in Accounting? [http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/]

I can't tell if the robot was trying to help and now it feels guilt, was trying to put him in problems and succeded, or he just did what it usually does and now relaized its mistake.
Warbot really just isn't good at anything...

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Scars Unseen said:
CaitSeith said:
Scars Unseen said:

Robots building robots? o_O

PS Captcha: this is sparta No, it isn't. Silly Captcha...

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Thanks, Oba....Wait, this Obamacare joke probably doesn't work if the subject is not American.

Fox12 said:
And who hated your attempts at long form story telling? Those were the best ones. Tell us, and we'll have them burned at the stake as heretics!
Check pretty much every single comic that was part of one of those arcs.
I don't see it. Many we're positive, and everyone seemed to enjoy children of steam, which was rather funny. The idea that every comment was negative is... Wrong.

Besides, those comics were few and far between.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
The other two will be part of a new series called Erin Dies Alone. In EDA we'll be focusing on a slightly more damaged version of Erin and her adventures (*or not adventures, as the entire strip takes place in her single bedroom apartment) with a more stable cast of videogame character hallucinations. While they share a similar premise, EDA will be a far gentler, more character-driven comic than CM. Still funny, hopefully, but in a more thoughtful way.
So it's a gentler piece that focuses on a mentally ill woman stuck inside a tiny apartment with her hallucinations, with the implication that she dies there? Either you or I don't understand the word "gentle" in this context.

Fox12 said:
And who hated your attempts at long form story telling? Those were the best ones. Tell us, and we'll have them burned at the stake as heretics!
Yo. I'm not opposed to it per se, but a lot of the CM story arcs feel unnaturally maudlin. It's one thing to have a character in a comedy series sometimes hang out with video game characters, but when CM takes a turn for drama and tries to talk about mental illness it comes off like a Lifetime movie.
Comedy webcomics making the shift to serious drama has to be handled carefully and delicately; ease the audience into it. Other wise, we'll get another instance of that one Ctrl+Alt+Delete story arc (you know the one I mean). The premise of "Erin Dies Alone" sounds suspiciously like that one set of Garfield strips where he's alone in his long-abandonded house, and its suggested he's hallucinating as he starves to death. Fun fun fun!

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Darth_Payn said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
The other two will be part of a new series called Erin Dies Alone. In EDA we'll be focusing on a slightly more damaged version of Erin and her adventures (*or not adventures, as the entire strip takes place in her single bedroom apartment) with a more stable cast of videogame character hallucinations. While they share a similar premise, EDA will be a far gentler, more character-driven comic than CM. Still funny, hopefully, but in a more thoughtful way.
So it's a gentler piece that focuses on a mentally ill woman stuck inside a tiny apartment with her hallucinations, with the implication that she dies there? Either you or I don't understand the word "gentle" in this context.

Fox12 said:
Yo. I'm not opposed to it per se, but a lot of the CM story arcs feel unnaturally maudlin. It's one thing to have a character in a comedy series sometimes hang out with video game characters, but when CM takes a turn for drama and tries to talk about mental illness it comes off like a Lifetime movie.
Comedy webcomics making the shift to serious drama has to be handled carefully and delicately; ease the audience into it. Other wise, we'll get another instance of that one Ctrl+Alt+Delete story arc (you know the one I mean). The premise of "Erin Dies Alone" sounds suspiciously like that one set of Garfield strips where he's alone in his long-abandonded house, and its suggested he's hallucinating as he starves to death. Fun fun fun!
It's probably too late at this point, but I think the part about Erin dying alone while descending into madness would be a great ending twist. A way of going "SURPRISE!" after suggesting that everything she saw was real. There may still be tricks to get the audience to believe in the possibility that it's all real and then careen down that path with so much gusto that people are actually surprised when it ends with reality ensuing in the most surreal punchline imaginable.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fox12 said:
The idea that every comment was negative is... Wrong.
It's also not what I said, which is convenient.

So....am I not needed here, then?
I don't see the negativity in those strips.

Why are you even responding to my comment? Did you intend to add something to the conversation that you started at some point? It's impressive that you can be negative without actually saying anything, but you can take it elsewhere. I.... I could respond, but I don't care enough really.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fox12 said:
Why are you even responding to my comment?
Good question. Why do I bother when you're more than happy to make things up for me?

It's impressive that you can be negative without actually saying anything, but you can take it elsewhere.
It's impressive that you can continue to make this up and then play me for the bad guy.

I.... I could respond, but I don't care enough really.
You care enough to insert words into my mouth and hold against me things and actions that aren't mine. Just....apparently not enough to actually address me.

Maybe next time don't lie in the first place?

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
Ugh, you encapsulated every man's fear when they haven't been to the dentist in a while. Add on top that the first dentist I experienced in my adult life was a worn out county free-clinic dentist who didn't care about my well-being and was lite on the pain shots while he yanked out my wisdom tooth. NOT COOL.

Anyhow, I enjoy your strip as it is, so I am glad you will still do two strips a week of Crit Miss Classic. Your long form works have been hit or miss, but, in the interest of ART, I wouldn't mind see you take another stab at it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
sageoftruth said:
It's probably too late at this point, but I think the part about Erin dying alone while descending into madness would be a great ending twist. A way of going "SURPRISE!" after suggesting that everything she saw was real. There may still be tricks to get the audience to believe in the possibility that it's all real and then careen down that path with so much gusto that people are actually surprised when it ends with reality ensuing in the most surreal punchline imaginable.
Personally, I'm hoping for the Labyrinth ending.

canadamus_prime said:
A slightly more damaged version of Erin? She's already pretty damaged.
In fact, she's rather cartoonishly so.

I wonder if we're going to see something actually worse, or just more grounded.

Darth_Payn said:
I don't think it's so much that it has to be handled carefully so much as people need to not be hamfisted about it. There's a rather large difference between needing to use a chisel and needing to not use a bulldozer. I think the latter is more appropriate here.

I do worry somewhat, but we've seen a more serious tone in some of the arcs already done, so it's only the loosest sort of worry. And it's more about the future of the comic itself. I liked the ups and downs of CM as it is, but people really did complain, so I guess this will split things up. But I'm not sure it'll be all that different.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
The Wooster said:
Reality Bites

Still better than the NHS.

Read Full Article
As I've been going through a hellstorm of dental procedures for the last two weeks (I believe they brought in an expert on closing dark portals for my innumerable fillings) this comic is oddly fitting while t the same time very creepily personal.
And my mouth did feel like something drastic (killing things with fire) was done to it the first time out. Actually it felt more like someone unleashed a squad of miniature Bruce Lee's in my mouth to fight the cavity demons... That would explain the swollen jaw and "punched in the mouth" feeling I have.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
CaitSeith said:
Scars Unseen said:

Thank yoy for sharing these, never seen them before, but I kinda dig how utterly useless that robot is, it has good intentions, but it just realy can't do anything useful. Kinda bittersweet, a good mix of fun and sad :)

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Honestly, the Erin hallucination comics were the ones I liked the most, so the whole EDA concept is exciting (Though I'm already getting some [i/]Johnny Dies at the End[/i] vibes from the title). Can't wait.

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
Dentists are the most horrifying type of doctor.
They actually make you pay them a ton of money for amputating a small part of your body and replacing it with a cold nail fixed to your skull or a piece of plastic tied with metal wire xO
Honestly, you're really better off just setting your mouth on fire than going through the costly (and more than likely intentionally overblown) procedure Grey described :I
...or, you-know, rinse your teeth with Methylene-Blue every morning before brushing to kill off the virus that's causing tooth-decay.
That's what I do and i still have mostly all my teeth! Even got new ones growing in places they shouldn't ^^

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Mr. Carter, you say?

Do you perchance have an ancestor named Randolph?

These things tend to stick to family lines, it seems.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
For what it's worth, I'm probably going to continue to read CM regardless of which direction it takes. I genuinely like both of those formats. As long as you don't pull some Ctrl+Alt+Del bullshit and yank the entire character arc out from under us at a critical juncture, I'll probably stick around. Her comedic insanity makes for decent, readable nonsense, and the strips about something you find funny in either games or gaming tend to be fairly funny as well. Plus, there's the dick jokes. Those are always great.

Indiscrimi

Apr 2, 2008
As soon as I read that the new strip will be called Erin Dies Alone, I started chuckling. It all takes place in her apartment, eh? Sounds delightfully morbid.

Gosh, I really am a terrible person. Still chuckling.