reality is unrealistic

Rush_Thores

Oct 2, 2008
DoctorNick said:
crimsondynamics said:
You had me until CoD4. Endlessly spawning enemies with an infinite supply of munitions does not equate to realism. Overall, though, I say you're spot on.
You caught me red-handed here, I'm only a couple hours into Call of Duty 4 and this was my apparently incorrect initial impression and the first game that came to mind.

That's what I get for 'Did Not Do The Research'.

Ummm....

Excluding the supernatural bits, Condemed: Criminal Origins perhaps?
Well if we get to exclude stuff in this game, then this became much easier. In which case I say Kingdom hearts 2 . . .excluding the disney characters, chosen keyblade wielders, heartless, nobodies, pete (yeah I already said disney characters, but he's worth excluding twice) the rediculous clothes and hair, the bright colors, the unlimited air combos, reaction system, FF characters and pete.

But NOT squall or leon or what ever he goes by now, because he refuses to be excluded

Mukiwa

Sep 4, 2008
Though reality is certainly displayed in a pleasingly high resolution with little to no compatibility issues. Thus far I have not had reality crash on me once. Jaggies and missing textures are conspicuous by their absence.
Points off for no quick save/load however. Or any save system at all, what were they thinking...

Burld

Feb 9, 2008
To sum up my opinion in 4 words:
Realism no, Believability yes.
There's a big difference.

Trogd0r

Jun 5, 2008
Burld said:
To sum up my opinion in 4 words:
Realism no, Believability yes.
There's a big difference.
This,
take for example Call of Duty 4, we know it's not really realistic, but the believeability makes it an awesome experience.

Burld

Feb 9, 2008
Cod4 is an excellent example actually. When playing, some might whine that the guns don't make the right sounds, or that there's no such thing as a stun grenade, or that you can't take that many bullets without some lasting effects, but I still feel in the midst of chaos and battle.

Ago Iterum

Dec 31, 2007
It all depends, just like evrything. If I'm playing a football game, I want realism, because it's a simulation. I don't want a massive blue football and clown shoes, I want to re-enact a football match.

However, If I'm playing an RPG, realism is the last thing I want. They're all about magic, and myth. So putting realism in would make it incredibly unrealistic.

There are other variants too. Like, war games can be fun with or without realism. It's all about a balance, and what you feel like playing.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
Spacelord said:
I'm praying that you'll get recruited by Valve in the next few days.
I've never really thought about it before, but now that you mention it, so do I.

franzuu

Jun 4, 2008
or that there's no such thing as a stun grenade
WTH do you mean by that?

Stun grenade AKA flash bang AKA NFDD AKA noise flash diversionary device.
The current issue stun grenade in US Army is the M84. And FYI the SAS invented the stun grenade way back in the 60s.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
I think that games that are mostly brown and gunmetal grey are not really intended to be realistic but intended to create a grim and gritty atmosphere, Gears of war for example.
I grew up watching cartoons so my default response is, bright primary colors=entertaining, realism=not entertaining.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Nobody wants realism in *any* kind of art, they want *stylization* and *verisimilitude*.

First (non-humorous) game I see where someone has a huge zit on the end of their nose, I'm breaking into the developer's house and whacking them repeatedly with the case.

LordCraigus

May 21, 2008
When it comes to a military/combat game (FPS or RTS) I enjoy my realism a lot thank you very much.
It's the whole 'burden of knowledge' thing I think, for me at least. I'm a WWII nut, I know roughly what the weapons/vehicles should be capable of, I know roughly what year they were introduced in the war etc. so it's more of a let down for me when I'm playing a WWII game and my weapons or units aren't performing as I'd expect them to.
Believability helps immersion, so when I notice something wrong (and no doubt I will if it's a WWII game), it breaks the believability and hence makes it slightly less immersive, in the end detracting from my overall enjoyment.

Similarly I'll notice innaccuracies and discrepancies in WWII films and my opinion of the film will go down ever so slightly. This obviously makes enjoying films and games less easy for me, hence the 'burden of knowledge' title I like to give it.

Clampdown79

Aug 27, 2008
I don't mind realism in games. But realism nazi's piss me off. I don't care if "If this would never happen in real life ." or if "The logic is totally off." Just try to enjoy the damn game/movie rather than nitpicking on everything you find unrealistic.

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
Theoretically, doesn't quantum physics mean that at any time physics as we know it can "glitch"? So, could the case not be argued that all games with physics problems simply exits in a world where physics anomalies are improbably common, and are actually theoretically really realistic?

Maybe? Anyone?

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
Bocaj2000 said:
I play games to escape reality. Realism in games is silly. Making games more 'realistic' is just another way of marketing. Physics and realism is easily confused

Physics in games are improving however, and that will always be a point of improvement. Emulating the way the way objects act the way they do will always need touching upon in games.
what he said

LordCraigus

May 21, 2008
Clampdown79 said:
I don't mind realism in games. But realism nazi's piss me off. I don't care if "If this would never happen in real life ." or if "The logic is totally off." Just try to enjoy the damn game/movie rather than nitpicking on everything you find unrealistic.
Well some people, I'm sure I'm not the only one, find it extremely hard to turn their brain off and let logic-defying things go by without a notice.

EDIT: I'm not saying I'd complain about Superman being able to fly or anything, but when I see a soldier in a WWII film (that's supposed to be based on history) just open the no doubt locked hatch of a German tank and plop a grenade in I can't help but notice.

Logan Keller

Jul 24, 2008
Caliostro said:
I don't feel like explaining this again so you read up on it - The uncanny valley [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley]
Two can play at that game [http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=FKTAJBQSm10]

Burld

Feb 9, 2008
franzuu said:
or that there's no such thing as a stun grenade
WTH do you mean by that?

Stun grenade AKA flash bang AKA NFDD AKA noise flash diversionary device.
The current issue stun grenade in US Army is the M84. And FYI the SAS invented the stun grenade way back in the 60s.
Yes, but COD4 has both Stun grenades and Flash grenades, and as far as I can tell they're the same thing in real life, yet in COD do not have the same effect.