Really enjoying Horizon Zero Dawn

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I left it a long time to play this one because I thought it was too overhyped at the time... but now I've finally got it I'm really enjoying it actually. I really like the open world and mechanical enemies. I really like the story so far as well and I hear it gets better. I know a lot of people thought it was very overhyped at the time of release and I know I'm pretty late to the party but how did you all find it?

Also, for those of you who have played all of them, how does it compare to games like Breath of The Wild and The Witcher 3?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
dscross said:
Also, for those of you who have played all of them, how does it compare to games like Breath of The Wild and The Witcher 3?
If you'd put HZD in a blender with Breath of the Wild and The Witcher 3 you'd have the perfect game; The exploration of BotW, the (quest) writing and characters of W3, and the action of HZD.

Yeah, HZD is great. It's like the streamlined sequel to Dragon's Dogma we never got. Running around the open-world feels great and fighting giant machines is stupendously exhilarating. It's a pretty addicting gameplay loop. I didn't think Guerilla Games had it in them to go from a rusty feeling FPS franchise to a swift, fluid third-person monster hunting game. Speaking of, it's this game (as well as Dragon's Dogma) that ruined Monster Hunter World for me, seeing as I just couldn't go from the silky responsiveness of HZD to the stiff awkwardness of MHW.

The characterization is pretty crap though and it made it hard for me to really get invested in the story, although there is a part later on where it absolutely nails it creating a very impactful sequence of events.

Oh, and if you can, play The Frozen Wilds DLC. I'd say it's better than the main game.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Horizon is a really really well designed game where every element that you've seen a million times before (like towers or collectibles) is done well and also done in a very reserved manner. There's only 5/6 towers and the collectible that is the most abundant has only 30 to collect in the whole world (not 100+). There's even only 40-something total quests in the game so you don't discover a new town to have 10+ NPCs with exclamation points above their heads. Everything in the game feels like it has a point to it vs it just being there as a checklist to complete.

I haven't played Breath of the Wild but I'm not a fan of Witcher 3 at all. To me, it doesn't even merit its open world whatsoever. Geralt is very much a veteran of his world, he knows like every area, knows probably all the kings, etc. There's really nothing for him to learn and explore (unlike Aloy). Plus, the narrative is very linear from the start. Whereas Horizon is about Aloy learning the world outside of the Nora and discovering everything for herself and the plot doesn't become time-sensitive until late in the game. Witcher 3 feels like a monster hunter (which witchers are) game that decided to focus on humanoid combat instead of monster combat. It would be like Horizon focusing on human combat and having the machine combat being shit basically.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I liked horizon zero dawn too, but though it had some problems. The combat kinda turned into a giant cluster fuck when multiple enemy were involved but was really good against few large target. The gear/loot system was kinda of wasted, I had all the gear I could possibly want about 1/3 of the way trough the game and from there own it was just small incremental upgrade that didn't change anything. The world was fun and just varied enough, with the occasional machine dungeon. I did not like Aloy, or rather I didn't care for her at all, she was just this boring bland of perfect and uninteresting with the whole jesus/mesiah thing (also didn't care for most character). I also wasn't crazy about the present storyline (ie the tribe and stuff) but I really liked the story about the past and how the world ended up the way it was. Anyway just things to keep in mind for comparison.

Can't talk about BoTW, but horizon zero is a very different game compared to TW3. TW3 is well remembered for it's writing, character and that's pretty much it. The combat is ultra generic, you can win everything by mashing the attack button, you can technically customize how Gerald fight, but no matter how you play you'll have to use basic attack (no real way of focusing on range/magic), and this work for every monster/human you fight. Gerald doesn't have combo or stamina, you can attack forever, so the way enemy break your attack string is by automatically countering your attack after a certain number of hit, 2-3, so once you know the number of attack you can do, you just attack that number of time, stop and rinse and repeat to victory. Giant monster don't have weak spot or anything really, just mash away to victory. The enemy variety is also a bit on the low side.

The environment looks good but is very repetitive, there's 4 main open world area in the game, in order they are, forest, forest, city, forested island. Occasionally you'll have a ruin, but those are pretty short. And the open world doesn't really do much, every quest is marked on the map (in fact everything is marked on the map, even random encounter) and there's not really exploration to be done. Most quest area also pretty repetitive, usually go something like: talk to dude, follow a red trail, find item, talk back to dude, follow second red trail, kill enemy, done.

But the writing in those quest is very well done, so that'll alleviate most of the monotomy. Similarly the characters are varied and colorful, they go trough interesting arc and don't neatly fall into the usual stereotype. Sadly the plot is very weak for most of the game, it's just a poorly though out excuse to have you do long chain of quest that really don't have anything to do with the main plot. I remember a point in the game where you have to rescue someone so they'll help you rescue someone else, to get there help to rescue some other person who will eventually give you information to rescue the main character your trying to rescue.

So anyway, I think TW3 is pretty much the opposite of HZ:D, honestly I'd recommend watching a let's play of it over playing it, you'll get all the good without most of the bland.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
I haven't played BoTW or Witcher 3.

Horizon Zero Dawn has some flaws, but it is my favorite game so far.

I love the juxtaposition between tribal (Native American) elements and the advanced technology of the old ones. The contrast between the vibrant and sunny present, and the bleak and terrifying past.

Aloy is somewhat bland, but earnest.

I thought the Sun King Avad was and interesting character. Rather then following the typical "like father like son" trope, Avad is trying his best to write all his fathers wrongs. Yet everyone still hates him. The Nora and Oseram hate him because they assume he is like his father. The hardline Shadow Carja hate him for not being bloodthirsty enough.

The characters from the past (Sobet, Faro and co.) are all masterfully done. The fact Zero Dawn is a lie* to give humanity hope and buy time is just brutal.
The rest of the world believes that ZD will be something that will save humanity. But instead, humanity goes completely extinct for thousands of years.

The combat is silky smooth and having multiple different ways to kill each enemy is highly rewarding.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Horizon Zero Dawn is great. Just gorgeous and sheer fun to go around hunting the machines and unlocking all the perks. No complaints on the gameplay department, although I think it could've used a more versatile climbing engine. Aloy's jump is so puny.

skywolfblue said:
The characters from the past (Sobet, Faro and co.) are all masterfully done. The fact Zero Dawn is a lie* to give humanity hope and buy time is just brutal.
The rest of the world believes that ZD will be something that will save humanity. But instead, humanity goes completely extinct for thousands of years.
I thought this was definitely the narrative standout of the game - the lore and how you go about demythifying it. I enjoyed just learning more about the apocalypse behind HZD. Aloy's story was pretty bland by comparison.

Feb 26, 2014
Whoops, Wrong thread, may as well make it on topic. I'm glad you're enjoying HZD. It is absolutely one of my favorite PlayStation games. It is kinda rough around the edges, but the combat is fun and the mech designs are wonderful.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I played it for the first time a few months ago and I also got a kick out of it. A great backstory to explain why the world is like it is and Aloy is a good protagonist, and the rest aren't terrible either. As others have mentioned, the fact the open world isn't fricken huge or covered in collectibles. I also appreciate how the items gating more advanced weapons/armor are justified as "Merchants want rare items from the machines before trading the armor" rather then the massive resource creep some other open world games tend to employ for equipment upgrades*CoughAssasinsCreedCough*.

If it had to criticize, it's that the game has a tendency to force the same boss battles numerous times(including the finale) and sneaking through the game gets railroaded into combat more then it really should be.

I do find it wierd that I've come across, lets say, youtube videos, about Horizon Zero Dawn which always seem to be littered with people going "Breath of the Wild is so much better". They're both in the same genre and have some similarities but I guess I'm not seeing why people can't enjoy both of them. They don't even share platforms so it's not like they're in direct competition.

On a side note, HZD made me aware of who Ashely Burch is and Hey Ash Whatcha playing, where her character is like the polar opposite of aloy.

Jan 19, 2016
I tried to get into HZD and I just bounced right off it. I dunno if it was because I started it right after God of War, but I found the combat really stiff and not very fun. The story seemed interesting, but the gameplay did not impress me at all. Maybe I need to give it another shot at some point.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Dalisclock said:
I do find it wierd that I've come across, lets say, youtube videos, about Horizon Zero Dawn which always seem to be littered with people going "Breath of the Wild is so much better". They're both in the same genre and have some similarities but I guess I'm not seeing why people can't enjoy both of them. They don't even share platforms so it's not like they're in direct competition.
The thing is, I actually agree that Breath of the Wild is way better. But it also suffers from some massive issues, primarily the weapons/items management, that severely hampers the experience, ultimately making HZD more fun to play from beginning to end.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Beware the evil feminazi propaganda trying to turn us all into beta cucks!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I lost all interest in the game after the proving thing where they killed the blonde jock with the heart of gold, the funny and snarky little sister character, and the wise mentor in one go. And I was like 'wait did you just kill off all the interesting characters in the first chapter?!'
After that I played maybe 6 more hours and just wow, nothing. No new character was even close to the interesting ones they just killed off. It was like they popped their own balloon but still expected me to drag it around, pretending its still floating.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Casual Shinji said:
Dalisclock said:
The thing is, I actually agree that Breath of the Wild is way better. But it also suffers from some massive issues, primarily the weapons/items management, that severely hampers the experience, ultimately making HZD more fun to play from beginning to end.
I don't doubt Breath of the Wild is very good(I only played it for like an hour on my brother in laws switch, but I liked it pretty well). I was just more commenting on people who decide to shit on a HZD due their BOTW fandom. Not legitimate criticism of HZD(which there is plenty), like people who literally go "HZD sucks! Play BOTW!"

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I'd put Witcher aside from the other two, as its much more focused on storylines or worldbuilding, somewhat at the expense of gameplay.

Horizon and BotW do both make up the meat of their experience based on rather repetitive combat scenarios. I'd give Horizon the slight edge for having a larger roster of unique enemies all told, and a storyline beyond a few scattered flashback cutscenes. BotW is far more interested in being a grindy collectathon, but after the 30th iteration of a functionally identical puzzle to get your 1/100 Korok seeds to get some fractional health increase, it gets a tad stale. BotW does have more freedom in traversal, and when it bothers to do one of the handful of physics puzzles (as opposed to the other 120 shrines that either have no content, or a single enemy thats the same in every shrine), more complex puzzling to be done, as that goes.

If you are particularly looking for something in the same raw gameplay vein as Horizon, Monster Hunter or Dauntless offer some of the same, though in repeating mission based format rather then open world. Dragons Dogma offers a fair bit of a similar experience as well, though not quite as weighty and impactful, leaning much more towards arcadey action.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
It is a special one. Flawed, but special. Partly want a sequel, but partly worried that any continuation without the drip-fed mystery of what happen to idiotic past humans would turn out to be a less interesting time if not replaced by equal or greater intrigue. Was one of the few bothered to replay on hardest difficulty to get everything. However, found the final endgame content of the frozen wilds on that difficulty was too much; a single battle with those bear horrors would eat up all ammo and almost all crafting resources for ammo during the fight, which replacing meant a lot of grind-hunting back in the rest of the world. And if you happen to die near the end of one of these fights, that ammo/resource material don't get replaced either. At that point I felt the grind/fight ratio wasn't worth it. Maybe easier difficulty would be fine, but can be stubborn sometimes.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Horizon Zero Dawn is an incredible game: gorgeous visual design, excellent worldbuilding, story & characterisation, and solid combat. I have very few problems with it.

Fighting 2 Thunderjaws for the first time was one of the best video game fights I can remember.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It controls as smoothly as butter, and from the environments and enemy design to the sounds of battle the audio-visual presentation is stellar. I remember reading something like 6 months 18 months [https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/296493/Making_Horizon_Zero_Dawns_Machines_feel_like_living_creatures.php] of dev time went into making some of the bigger machines feel right, and it shows. And those volumetric clouds are beautiful.

They should?ve won a Bafta/Sig graph for best technical achievement because the machines are extraordinary to watch and even more fun to fight. Next time you?re galavanting around, just observe some of the finer details; for instance how a tallneck walks. The animation involved in its hooves alone is amazing.