...Really now, Escapist? I am disappoint.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Some people need to join the Tech Team group and turn on chat notifications so that you have a clue what is going on with escapist.

You would know many things like:
-Why they implemented captchas in the 1st place.
-You would know that you'll only get one on your second post, one on your 10th, and then one every 20th post after that each day.
-They are testing the new captchas on about half the people while others are still getting the recaptcha because recaptcha has had issues with coming up with legible stuff.
-And much more!

Heres a link to the group, join it and be informed!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tech-Team

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
So hang on....the captchas are cutting down spam/ stupid advertising
but then they are advertising tools themselves....WHAAAAAAAT

but really. I understand the difference of who is getting paid and all that but still. Kinda silly.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I find them insanely annoying and a few of them have umlauts which make it very hard to type and I have to endlessly refresh. Did the escapist EVER have a spam problem because I never saw any.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
There's a captcha? When in the fuck did that happen? The more time passes the more I find that Pub club was the fourth best thing I ever spent $20 on.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Where are the spambots? I'm seen one or two over the past several months. Look at IGN's comment section; half+ are spambot postings.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
tellmeimaninja said:
They really bother me, as I type exactly what it has, checking t make sure, and it still makes me type it a few more times for it's own amusement.

I will have it's head.
Can you behead a Captcha?

tijuanatim

Sep 24, 2008
I have yet to encounter this. Is this only something going on for Pub Club members? (I still am not a member)

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
A necessary evil. I'd rather have captchas than spam. That being said, I'm now posting for the second time with the same captcha. Kinda silly, but at least I know what it is no problem this time.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Irridium said:
TimeLord said:
Irridium said:
Everyone's getting them. PubClub people are getting less, but they're still getting them.
Really? I though PubClubbers didn't get them because the subscription basically overrides whether you're a spambot. :/

OT: I still have only a vauge idea what the hell is going on and had to Google 'Captchas' to find out what everyone is complaining about.
Safe to say, I haven't come across them yet.
From the way Virgil described it, it seems you'd get it very rarely if your a pubclub member. Although he may have been using sarcasm. So hard to tell over the internet.
We're exempt from captchas because paying for a Pub Club Membership would be counter-productive for a spambot.

As for the Captchas themselves, I've said this roughly fifty times now, the Captchas were implemented because we were targeted by spambots, yes, there are some problems with it. Problems usually occur when trying to implement something new.

As for ads in Captchas, if more people here were a member of the Tech Team User Group http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tech-Team
You would know that Virgil is testing out a new system of captchas that turns ads, pictures and other things into the codes.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
I do agree that they are extremely annoying.

Fighting spammers is a good cause, but since the Escapist has never had a huge problem with spammers in the first place, seems a little unnecessary.

Guitar Gamer

Apr 12, 2009
Oh dear, well I suppose it was inevitable when a webstie gets this big.
I don't see why they need adds though

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
What pisses me off is that they don't always accept the correct answer. That just makes me have to load up to about 5 more unnecessary pages. Waste of both mine and the Escapists' bandwidths.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
They're fighting spam guys. I have seen a few ad bots on here and this could definately cut down/eliminate this problem.

Yes getting one wrong can give you a tiny rage moment, but it's better than being plagued with the bad junk we don't want.