Rebecca Mayes Muses: Love Song for Yahtzee

belderiver

Apr 10, 2010
Spectre39 said:
My basic reaction to any of Mayes' music is a flat "meh", regardless of the content. Her style is to merely come up with an idle thought or two and stretch it into a video through pretentious repetition. With such a bland presentation it begs the question why she even got this gig in first place. It couldn't be because gamers are unprincipled virgins who will waive any quality control on the sole basis of a pretty face- Oh wait!
Like I said: you read as somebody who doesn't get it and is threatened by having girls in his space.

You don't like her music? That's fine. You're under no impetus to. But she is hardly just putting idle thought to a tune - Mayes' work is meta-commentary on gaming culture that typically lampshades things that we as gamers would not pause to consider. She is coming at it from a different perspective, and that is not an inherently bad one, whether or not you like the final project.

Second of all, you're an ass for downplaying that she has both musical ability and a legitimate point of view, and doing so because of her sex. Guess what what's called, kiddies? And no matter how many lonely creepers are staring at her ass rather than listening to what she has to say? It's never going to invalidate what she's actually saying.

However, my main gripe with this particular song is it's core message. That someone with paper-thin sensibilities are entitled to be catered to just because their precious feelings have been hurt. People like Mayes have apparently never heard of the concept of view discretion and would rather pout and make a scene to try and "fix" anything they don't agree with.
Says he who is leaving inflammatory, dismissive remarks on somebody else's work? Honestly, you're way more butthurt than she is.

Not to mention, you have no idea what her sensibilities are like, that was not the core message of the video, and "I think that you're sexist and kind of an elitist jerk sometimes" is a perfectly legitimate piece of criticism. It's also a piece of criticism that seems to whip indignant fanboys into an absolute fervor no matter how casual an observation it is, and that really seems like what is happening here. Please stop trying to paint it like she was clutching at her pearls, shaking and crying.

Yahtzee has the freedom to use whatever humor he wishes to as long as he doesn't violate any rules and standards set by The Escapist, and anyone who has a problem with that has a personal responsibility to not watch his videos if they offend them so much. There's much worse behavior on the internet to be upset over, but instead we get this garbage reaction over trifles.
Actually, you're wrong, nobody has the "personal responsibility" to not watch something that they might enjoy for other reasons, nor does anybody have the personal responsibility to sit down and shut up when they come across something that offends them. That would be a terrible world to live in.

That said, if you truly believe this with all your heart, then why did you watch this video? Either you didn't know what it contained (thus proving why 'don't like, don't watch' is a stupid philosophy) or you did it anyway for the sake of forging a far less eloquent and legitimate complaint.

But I suspect that's not the reason she made this video at all. As we all know, Yahtzee is very popular on this website and is the reason why many of us users are here in the first place. He's been here since near the beginning and has stayed in the spotlight for so long because he's talented and entertaining. Mayes on the other hand is none of these things. She's relatively unknown on this website, but would have the audacity to cry foul over what Yahtzee has been doing so well for so long? The motive here is obvious. She was attempting to claim the moral high ground and by proxy claim attention from the impressionable masses on this website to keep her relevant. A publicity stunt, as it were. In the music industry this is a common tactic between hip-hop artists to start rivalries in order to generate buzz for their albums. This isn't music, it's a cry for attention.
If you say so, man. Sounds like music to me. There's a melody and everything.

Look, there is really no way of proving her intention - I think she had an opinion to express about Yahtzee, you think she was riding his coattails. In either case, I don't think there's really anything wrong with what she did, and coupled with the rest of your reply, I am once again picking up the kind of "all girls who make themselves known on the internet are attention whores!!!" attitude. Ultimately? She isn't hurting anybody, it fits just fine with the theme of her segment, and this isn't really an ethical question that needs to be pondered.[/quote]

So I'll continue to do my part by ignoring Mayes' sad excuses for content in the hopes that her presence here dies off from well-deserved neglect, if there's any justice.
Oh, I sincerely hope you do a better job next time.

belderiver

Apr 10, 2010
Febronia said:
Much lover and prayers to Yahtzee, to make it through this difficult time of tossers and women setting feminism and humor back a good six decades.
Please don't act like you know a damn thing about feminism after that long, embarrassing tirade of a response. Hell, you probably still think the word is synonymous with lesbian, don't you?

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
i have soooo been waiting for this;
pure awesomenessness!!

now i wonder how a response'd look like?!

LoneFullmetal

Nov 14, 2009
Cody211282 said:
Did I miss something? This is the first one of these I have watched and I had no idea there was a feud going on, or is it just on her side and Yahtzee doesn't care, like normal.
Seems like it.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Hmmm, nice flame war going here, warm and comfy it is.
Maybe I should write something, too...

@Spectre39: We get that you do not like RBM, but maybe you should not respond anymore to the aggravated fans and just start listening to some music (good one, not RBM).

@LordCuthberton: Well, I personally must say that I did not know her until her "Yathzee-stunt", which WAS on the video front-page on a Wednesday no less and I do believe that it was mainly publicity stunt.
As for her music: I personally do not like her music and by now I have listened to several of her other songs as well and I did not like even one of them, but if you like them fine.
But saying that she has 2.000 facebook fans... Heck there is a pretzel with more than 500.000 fans on facebook so your argument doesn't really say too much.

@belderiver If you like her music, fine but do not go around insulting others because their musical taste differs from yours.
And it is true that no one has the "responsibility" not to watch something they dislike, but watching the video despite knowing that one will dislike it and then proceeding to hate on said video is not what I would call good style nor is it appropriate.
And of course, no one has the responsibility to shut up, but sometimes it is better to say nothing than to offend people (you reading this Spectre39?) And trying to pin Specter39 with sexism is just wrong, since he never said that he was afraid by women in his space, or did he now? And he never really said anything against women in general.
Or is saying that an entertainer sucks sexist if the entertainer happens to be of the female persuasion?
Yes, he wrote "gamer girl" but I believe that he would hate RBM just as much if she was a guy. AND he would probably make fun of him for being called "Rebecca"

That said, please proceed to waste valuable lifetime just to defend some artist that will never care for you and probably never heard of you and probably doesn't care about anything you say.
And yes, I dislike RBM's music but I do not care what you think of her.

EDIT:
If you want to hate on me, here are some suggestions on how to start:
1. Arguments out of context
2. You must be a sexist yourself, defending other sexists
3. General whining and bitching around

Machiavellian007

Mar 2, 2010
Bahahahaaa! Flame war thread! People throwing around the word 'feminist' like they know what it means! Hahaaa! Oh, good, I needed a laugh.

OT: I adored the first two verses, despised the ending and the chorus. Good job, Rebecca, but please for the love of God if you're trying for a song that captures Yahtzee's eloquence don't have a repetitive chorus. I get what you're trying to do, and I'm amused that you took the Yahtzee route in making everything outlandish and bigger than life. But for fuck's sake, that ending. Ugh. Too whiney for my liking. But there we go.

Calibanbutcher said:
[trolling] How dare you oppress women and imply that we're only good for the kitchen! You must be a sexist, as you oppress us AND defend other sexists! Oh, God, I have never been so offended in my LIFE, you misogynist pig! [/trolling]

onelifecrisis

Mar 1, 2009
After a couple of months away from this site I've come back and found this video.

mind = blown

Would someone please briefly bring me up to speed with what is going on?

arkady

Nov 9, 2007
For those confused about whether Rebecca loves or hates Yahtzee: I think the point of the song is that so is she.

Ohhhhh, that was so close to being great...

Rebecca, I'm going to be honest: I've never been a fan of your songs. They're too repetitive, mainly, repeating the same chorus line about thirty times in a row at least three times on most occasions. They're not usually clever, either.

This one *almost* made me change my mind... it started out so damn strong, and it was hilarious, clever words and rhyming on par with Yahtzee himself. BUT THEN, you started into the chorus. "Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?..." (repeat)

Please, please, stop doing that to your songs. You would be a pleasure to listen to if it weren't for the repetition
The "Is it OK?" thing actually worked for me. Normally I find the repetition slightly frustrating, but here the line was about preoccupation: she suggests the question "Is it ok? Is it ok to be the way that I am?" is dominating their thought processes, so it kinda makes sense that the line dominates the song. It's a catchy hook, too.

Crossketch

Jun 25, 2010
In the words of a wise man (Yhatzee) "Rebecca Mayes either loves me or wants me dead. It's a little unclear."

Daniel Pharos

Jun 30, 2008
Hmm, I didn't like the song that much. I think she should sing more in her range (a bit lower), and I think the lyrics are a bit unfinished. Seems like she just left some placeholder lyrics here and there and didn't come up with anything better and just went for it. A bit weak.

technophebe

Nov 25, 2009
Rebecca's lyrics are always "a bit weak", that's usually kind of part of the charm, but for me she missed a beat on the tone of this one.

I actually found myself feeling kind of embarrassed for her because the song makes her seem more "bitter and a bit of an unpleasant person under the cutesy exterior" than the "lovably ditzy and unusual" that I suspect she was going for.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
Cody211282 said:
Did I miss something? This is the first one of these I have watched and I had no idea there was a feud going on, or is it just on her side and Yahtzee doesn't care, like normal.

You sortof missed it. She realised a normal love song wouldn't work on Yahtzee, we all know he doesn't have human emotions, so she went the critical way, like he does, playing him at his own game :D

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
22 pages of Mayes and Yahtzee fans going at it... I feel so caught in the middle! D: However, the song is excellent Miss Mayes, and another in a collection of excellent songs.

Noogster

Jul 14, 2010
I went through each ppage of this forum. Checked each name. 22 pages (23 maybe with this post) And I didn't find a response by Yahtzee. I'm just going to go to sleep now.