Rebecca Mayes Muses: Love Song for Yahtzee

CaseySmith

Mar 5, 2010
I love the song; seems to have stirred up quite a bit of confusion and fanboyism here though. Not saying that's bad, as it's fun to read console fanboyism in the form of a weekly website video... While owning and enjoying both consoles. :>

Riven Armor

Mar 1, 2010
magicmonkeybars said:
Wow, that was pretty vicious coming from a hippy.
I didn't think you'd have such venomous fangs, you spitefull little kitty you.
See how your anger has made you popular, now strike Yahtzee down and become the most popular feature on the Escapist.
LOL. This is a pretty funny post.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
As good as the song is, I really don't think Yahtzee cares about this very much. Again, only because he probably gets enough hate mail from fan boys, to fill the grand canyon. Just add another to the list; but not quiet, this is more of an opinion on Yahtzee, some if it's flattering, and some if it isn't.

gally912

Mar 7, 2010
El pup said:
Skarlette said:
I shouldn't be surprised at the depths that people will go to diss and insult creative works, but... I just should not have been surprised, and it makes me very sad.

I think most of those commenting have just missed the point; they don't watch her other videos, they don't get what started the idea for this video, and they've missed how her fans have been quite excited for this. Were they expecting some fan-boy diatribe to validate their love of Yahtzee? Were they expecting a professional? (read: Artist with a multi-million dollar record deal) A pro song writer, an established singer, with a full expensive sound recording studio, animation team, and fully backed orchestra to produce this song?

She made this entirely herself. Wrote, sang, played each instrument herself, recorded herself, edited it all together HERSELF. I think it's amazingly creative, and 99.9% of those who commented could not do such a thing. She's not 'jumping on the Yahtzee bandwagon', she makes videos about video games and video game culture, and as Ben Croshaw has established himself within that culture and within the Escapist community, it is an extension of what she has been doing all along. (And only with a bit of fan service but to her own fans, not to Yahtzee's.)

I would love to have Yahtzee comment, because personally I think he would tear into all the fan-boy flamers who have commented in this thread, and not actually insult Rebecca herself. You all provide much more fuel for his hate than she ever could.

I miss when her video threads were 200 posts long, and full of comments to boost self-esteem, praise the effort, and encourage creativity.

Rebecca, I hope you can shake off the negativity here, and focus on all the good. Your fans are still here, and will be long after all the Yahtzee fanboys go back to where they come from.
It's not the fact that she is not on the Yahtzee band wagon. Hell, hating Yahtzee videos on youtube is hillarious

I used to think of Rebecca as sort of above stooping to cheap ploys to get attention. Above that, I thought of her as above as above trying to shove every feminist opinion in her veiwers faces. The things she complains about are hardly even note worthy, and its a bit extreme to blame Yahtzee (or any guy for that matter) for pushing misogyny and homophobia on society.

She also made a HUGE deal about this. Had she of not made a big deal about it, this would of been a witty cute song. It's just not very classy to make a huge stink about wanting to ask him out just so you can have an audience when you put someone on blast... Especially needlessly on blast seeing as it was totally unprovoked. It feels like she was trying to drag everyone in on HER problem.

She wanted the attention, she got it... and unfortunately not all of it is good.

As for my thoughts on Yahtzee's take on this, I don't think he cares very much... No ones really white knighting for the guy since he can hold his own and yeah, he probably doesn't take it personally because after all it's just business.

I've watched all of rebecca mayes videos and songs (my favorite being the eluring case of Kyle Hyde on her Gamepeople page. I was a big fan, and I do like her music still... just not her so much anymore), I've loved her stuff since she first came on the escapist. It's just it was such a pointless thing to do. She didn't really help any case of proving women are equal, its was a cheap shot based on deception, and it came off like a VERY desperate plea for attention.

This sorta just proves the point that feminists go out of their way to be offended and stoop to any low to get people to hear them out... Something I used to think she was better than.

I'm hoping I hear that this was all an elaborate (or not so elaborate) joke in a week... But that's unlikely
I'd like to reiterate that the song's contents are NOT *literally* a feminist critiquing and being offended- its humor is SUBTLE IRONY. Again, Yahtzee's criticisms are rips on everything, sometimes often with crude or offensive humor. So a "love song" towards Yahtzee would be a critique of him, to tear him down. (And thus, win his affection in an aphid sort of way)

It is not dirty laundry, a personal grudge, or whatever else you could assume taking the lyrics at face value.

Riven Armor

Mar 1, 2010
poiumty said:
So i finally got around to listening to this, mostly because it had "yahtzee" in it and hey, maybe it'd be the shining jewel in the ocean of mediocrity like that one Doraleous episode.

NOPE. Also, the best reply to this song is no mention of it whatsoever (from Yahtzee's part, i mean).
How dare you insult Doralean! It's the best thing on the Escapist >:O

(although I do agree with you about the song...)

cynik

Nov 6, 2009
I see quite a few users registered on forums only to comment on this song, well done Escapist, the plan works perfectly!

ilion

Aug 20, 2009
Something about Rebecca just puts me off, I think she and her pout just tries to hard to be weird. Funny song.

Dougle

Oct 18, 2008
What the hell? Yahtzee's like the sex icon of game reviews xD

Which, admittedly, is a bit like being the sex icon of aging sewage workers.... ;P

Normalgamer

Dec 21, 2009
El pup said:
Skarlette said:
I shouldn't be surprised at the depths that people will go to diss and insult creative works, but... I just should not have been surprised, and it makes me very sad.

I think most of those commenting have just missed the point; they don't watch her other videos, they don't get what started the idea for this video, and they've missed how her fans have been quite excited for this. Were they expecting some fan-boy diatribe to validate their love of Yahtzee? Were they expecting a professional? (read: Artist with a multi-million dollar record deal) A pro song writer, an established singer, with a full expensive sound recording studio, animation team, and fully backed orchestra to produce this song?

She made this entirely herself. Wrote, sang, played each instrument herself, recorded herself, edited it all together HERSELF. I think it's amazingly creative, and 99.9% of those who commented could not do such a thing. She's not 'jumping on the Yahtzee bandwagon', she makes videos about video games and video game culture, and as Ben Croshaw has established himself within that culture and within the Escapist community, it is an extension of what she has been doing all along. (And only with a bit of fan service but to her own fans, not to Yahtzee's.)

I would love to have Yahtzee comment, because personally I think he would tear into all the fan-boy flamers who have commented in this thread, and not actually insult Rebecca herself. You all provide much more fuel for his hate than she ever could.

I miss when her video threads were 200 posts long, and full of comments to boost self-esteem, praise the effort, and encourage creativity.

Rebecca, I hope you can shake off the negativity here, and focus on all the good. Your fans are still here, and will be long after all the Yahtzee fanboys go back to where they come from.
It's not the fact that she is not on the Yahtzee band wagon. Hell, hating Yahtzee videos on youtube is hillarious

I used to think of Rebecca as sort of above stooping to cheap ploys to get attention. Above that, I thought of her as above as above trying to shove every feminist opinion in her veiwers faces. The things she complains about are hardly even note worthy, and its a bit extreme to blame Yahtzee (or any guy for that matter) for pushing misogyny and homophobia on society.

She also made a HUGE deal about this. Had she of not made a big deal about it, this would of been a witty cute song. It's just not very classy to make a huge stink about wanting to ask him out just so you can have an audience when you put someone on blast... Especially needlessly on blast seeing as it was totally unprovoked. It feels like she was trying to drag everyone in on HER problem.

She wanted the attention, she got it... and unfortunately not all of it is good.

As for my thoughts on Yahtzee's take on this, I don't think he cares very much... No ones really white knighting for the guy since he can hold his own and yeah, he probably doesn't take it personally because after all it's just business.

I've watched all of rebecca mayes videos and songs (my favorite being the eluring case of Kyle Hyde on her Gamepeople page. I was a big fan, and I do like her music still... just not her so much anymore), I've loved her stuff since she first came on the escapist. It's just it was such a pointless thing to do. She didn't really help any case of proving women are equal, its was a cheap shot based on deception, and it came off like a VERY desperate plea for attention.

This sorta just proves the point that feminists go out of their way to be offended and stoop to any low to get people to hear them out... Something I used to think she was better than.

I'm hoping I hear that this was all an elaborate (or not so elaborate) joke in a week... But that's unlikely
Are you pants-on-head retarded? It's a joke, she doesn't actually hate him, it's just a fun thing to do. The interwebz are no srs bsnz.

Mustard Horde

Jun 27, 2010
daltonlaffs said:
Ohhhhh, that was so close to being great...

Rebecca, I'm going to be honest: I've never been a fan of your songs. They're too repetitive, mainly, repeating the same chorus line about thirty times in a row at least three times on most occasions. They're not usually clever, either.

This one *almost* made me change my mind... it started out so damn strong, and it was hilarious, clever words and rhyming on par with Yahtzee himself. BUT THEN, you started into the chorus. "Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?... Is it ok?..." (repeat)

Please, please, stop doing that to your songs. You would be a pleasure to listen to if it weren't for the repetition.
This. Pretty much word perfect for what I would of said had this user not beat me to it.