Rebecca Mayes Muses: Modern Warfare 2

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
Not to dampen your spirits honey, but what sold me on you was your comedic style in the sims 3 video. The overlord song showed you are not trapped to one genre, yet that is the only song that's really pushed your boundaries. The batman review was quite comical in your perspective on it but come on, you're capable of making much more comical and enjoyable videos than this.

"Hey you, the one playing the fps. Why don't you join up and be a real hero instead of tea-bagging noobs on Modern Warfare 2" oh haha, I get it. But it's not funny.

Hell, even the velvet assasins "we sell women and war" was more comical and that wasn't too good either.

You've come up with really witty analysis's of games at least twice before, so it's obvious this isn't just dumb luck. Come on girl, you can do better than THIS!

Ultimacy

Dec 8, 2009
Joa_Belgium said:
Any reason why I shouldn't be allowed to post my opinion on the matter at hand? I'm certainly not her bodyguard. She's old enough to take care of herself.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
I love this girl's music. Stick on some more serious lyrics and subject matter and I might even fork over some cash for a CD. There's nowhere near enough soft-acoustic singing these days.

Joa_Belgium said:
Ultimacy said:
Joa_Belgium said:
Any reason why I shouldn't be allowed to post my opinion on the matter at hand? I'm certainly not her bodyguard. She's old enough to take care of herself.
snip
Your point being?
He's accusing you of white-knighting. It's a really annoying facet of some guys' behaviour wherein they'll stick up for girls vociferously and try and suppress anything that might hurt their feelings.

I'm not accusing you of it, I've not read the conversation.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
BGH122 said:
I love this girl's music. Stick on some more serious lyrics and subject matter and I might even fork over some cash for a CD. There's nowhere near enough soft-acoustic singing these days.

Joa_Belgium said:
Ultimacy said:
Joa_Belgium said:
snip
Your point being?
He's accusing you of white-knighting. It's a really annoying facet of some guys' behaviour wherein they'll stick up for girls vociferously and try and suppress anything that might hurt their feelings.

I'm not accusing you of it, I've not read the conversation.
I understood what the illustration was about, but I was deliberately avoiding the matter at hand because I have no such intentions. It's a shame that a lot of morons on the internet are reducing an opinion until it simply means: "I WUNT SEX LOL."

I am no white knight; I just don't hold back when I have a right to say what is on my mind. And my opinion is that some people are extremely perverted everywhere on the internet, even here on The Escapist. There's nothing wrong with me pointing that out.

In any case: I consider this matter closed and I'd love to go back on topic.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Joa_Belgium said:
I understood what the illustration was about, but I was deliberately avoiding the matter at hand because I have no such intentions. It's a shame that a lot of morons on the internet are reducing an opinion until it simply means: "I WUNT SEX LOL."

I am no white knight; I just don't hold back when I have a right to say what is on my mind. And my opinion is that some people are extremely perverted everywhere on the internet, even here on The Escapist. There's nothing wrong with me pointing that out.

In any case: I consider this matter closed and I'd love to go back on topic.
Sure thing, I agree, you've got a right to state your opinion, but he's also got a right to claim you're white knighting. However, you've got the right to refute that statement (as you did!).

matqc23

Oct 17, 2009
Funny how far some geek lust can carry someone. I'm not saying you don't have a good voice or aren't talented with a guitar.. but seriously there are some serious phrasing and pacing issues with the song. The video is ok but didn't blow me away. People, especially geeks,(notice I used the term geek and not nerd)tend to be more inclined to like something if it is part of the geek culture(in this case video games) and if there is a good looking lady somewhere in the video.

Now to all you haters out there, cause I'm sure tons of the users will bash on me and try to be her "White Knight", I think Mrs.Mayes is mature enough to be able to take criticism and to talk for herself. I am not attacking what she does, but rather giving my opinion on her creations.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Chester41585 said:
Pugiron said:
You idiots out there that take these posts too seriously, I was joking. It is no my fault Chester and joe are too retarded to understand that and too fat and isolated to understand human emotions. Rebecca is a beautiful and intelligent girl and I enjoy her music. If you are so retarded that you cannot watch her videos without thinking that somehow YOU are her protector or somehow connected to her because you clicked on the Play button, you are the crazy ones. Go play in traffic.
Pug, you are a fucking idiot. I've stopped watching her crap since the Bionic Warrior video. Now, I read the threads to try and get an idea of what the video was about. It takes me two or three pages of scrolling through "OMG Rebecca u r so nice and cute and i love you and ur muzic is teh greatest make a album and itunes!" before I even find a glimmer of something decent.
Pugiron, unlike Joe Belgium, I am insulting you. You are a shitless pre-pubescent retard. Only too willing to throw your hairless, pasty mortal flesh-sack in the way of a slightly negative comment directed to the general area of Mayes like some medal-hungry rookie bodyguard assigned to Avril Lavigne to realize that posting things like my exaggeration, or your implied joke, greatly reduce the credibility of alot of other posters on this thread, as well as that of Mayes.
I hope you read that last paragraph. It's doubtful, though, since it contains strings of insults so beautifully crafted together you would pass it off as another word block like an ape would pass off "Starry Night" as a colorful bunch of paint blotches.

I in no way consider myself connected to Mayes. Hell, I even refuse to use her first name on a strictly professional Associated Press basis. She is no where near the first person I would want to protect from anything, much less her slack-jawed slobbering Fantards. For once, I would like to come to one of these threads and not have to dig through two or three pages of horseshit posts before getting to one post that provides decent information about her video.

When I make a post that usually follows one of these:

I don't know if Rebecca actually reads these comments, but I have to thank her for her song... it was a moment of brightness in an otherwise terrible, terrible holiday season, so...
Or, this:

Ugh, this is the 5th attempt at giving her a chance. Her music has no point at all its like trying to be ironic but it isn't.
It's not because I'm a mean dick, it's because I'd like to read something that doesn't make me half-vomit. Your post, though supposedly in jest, made some vile organ in my throat excrete the very special chemicals that initiated my "retort" action.

So, Pugiron, you go play in traffic. I hope you don't get hit, though, because you would damage a perfectly good car and (barring you didn't die) pull resources from an ER that could be better spent on someone with more pressing issues.

Idiot.
Isn't it great that you can be anonymous on the internet?
"Be as mean to people as you want to be! No-one knows who you are, or where you live!"
OT: liked the song. : )

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
That was really soothing, and It's going on my I-POD, but please do another metal one like your Overlord 2 song. :)

lyfeindeyth

Jan 3, 2010
AWEEE I really love Rebecca's Muses.... She makes CoD so, romantic. I still don't completely UNDERSTAND the lyrics, unless there isn't even underlying meaning to them.

CMon

Jun 18, 2009
matqc23 said:
Funny how far some geek lust can carry someone. I'm not saying you don't have a good voice or aren't talented with a guitar.. but seriously there are some serious phrasing and pacing issues with the song. The video is ok but didn't blow me away. People, especially geeks,(notice I used the term geek and not nerd)tend to be more inclined to like something if it is part of the geek culture(in this case video games) and if there is a good looking lady somewhere in the video.

Now to all you haters out there, cause I'm sure tons of the users will bash on me and try to be her "White Knight", I think Mrs.Mayes is mature enough to be able to take criticism and to talk for herself. I am not attacking what she does, but rather giving my opinion on her creations.
I find it funny how you put up a shield, ready to defend yourself by claiming people that oppose your post will be "White Knighting". Though, this IS the internet, so you might just wait for aggrieved people to lunge at you and laugh at their expense. Who knows.

I'm not a big fan of many of Mayes' other songs, but I really do like this one. I'm not quite sure about your musical knowledge if you claim that it has some "serious phrasing and pacing issues". The lyrical buildup of this song is largely poetic, and doesn't really follow a given pattern of time signatures (although the guitar largely does, which makes it...unusual). I do not wish to stand out as a progressive-elitist (because "prog" is a silly genre and people tend to become all bitchy about it), I feel that a lot of people are too dependent on the good old 4/4 key signature to properly understand the full width and the possibilities of music.

That said, no I probably wouldn't buy this song if it were released as a single, but then again, that applies to 99 % of all music out there. Even so, for a satirical work (based off a video game, nonetheless), this is a good song.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Ok. I have hated Ms. Mayes and her segment of the Escapist for a while. However, in the interest of fair play I have now listened to ALL of her "musings". I now feel my hate is justified.

Is it wrong to hope someone gets hit by a bus so they stop making music?

Or even better, that ALL the people I want to stop making music were ON the bus and it exploded?

Ms. Mayes here doesn't need to be on the bus as I simply can choose to not listen to her ever again in the future, but I do think the Escapist could do better with a wholly different feature.

Skeleton Jelly

Nov 1, 2009
...Nothing was good about this. Your singing is good though, just write some songs not pertaining to video games.