Rebecca Mayes Muses: Starcraft 2

themerrygambit

Mar 1, 2010
Don't get me wrong I think That all of Rebecca's songs are impeccably good. She has an amazing voice and she is a wonderful lyricist. I just think she's lost her passion for video games as a medium/muse for her songs. I mean I could be completely wrong and she might love it. I'm just noticing a big difference from her earlier song reviews in comparison to her latter ones.

Her first song reviews were laced with lyrics which cleverly pointed out aspects or criticisms of games. One in particular that I like in this regard is her review of the reboot of Bionic Commando. Her lyrics referred to the game's repetitive and linear nature. You can actually compare her song to the Zero Punctuation review of the game and see that they both had similar criticisms of the game.

In the Halo Reach review I didn't see any references to the game at all. The main message of the song seemed to be using the game as a way to tell us to stop using a video game character in order to feel heroic and instead be heroic in our real lives. It's an inspiring message but seems kind of anti-video game in a way.

Today's video kind of poked fun at the idea of people holed up in their homes playing star craft all day.

I mean I could be simply crazy and sniffing too much glue but try looking at her recent songs/videos again with that kind of attitude in mind... maybe you'll see what I'm talking about.

Again I in no way was trying to insult Rebecca in any way. I think she's immensely talented. I just think she might be losing her passion for making songs about video games. Singers and song writers need to write songs about things they are passionate about, and when you're not all that into a video game I imagine it's quite hard and one might try to make the song about something they feel is more meaningful... just sayin.

Anyway I wish you all well and thanks for calling me out on sounding Trollish... it wasn't my intention.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Aghh... The freedom fighters line reminds me of another song and I cant think what. The tune of it is a real ear-worm. Its going to annoy me all day now.

Apart from the hours of torment, though, great tune!

>.<

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
So, is the line "tank full of crackers" supposed to be a note that 1. Terrans are all white trash rednecks 2. Starcraft grinders sit next to boxes of cookies snacking nonstop or 3. Both.

1. Bravo, 2. Bravo, 3. BRAVO!

ZelosRaine

Sep 20, 2010
Love the spread sheet comment. Still very obsessed with image, I see. Not that I blame you; it's hard not to notice all the "costume designers." Still, "Mirror" was better commentary in that regard. A good song, all the same.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
First time EVER I have liked one your songs. Maybe your 2 week song thing is paying off.

Keep it up.

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
ArmorArmadillo said:
So, is the line "tank full of crackers" supposed to be a note that 1. Terrans are all white trash rednecks 2. Starcraft grinders sit next to boxes of cookies snacking nonstop or 3. Both.

1. Bravo, 2. Bravo, 3. BRAVO!
Unless they're from Earth, then they're posh sounding:p

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
themerrygambit said:
I'm I the only one seeing that Rebecca Mayes more or less is completely over video games? Maybe even down right dislikes them. I mean the first videos she put out were clever critiques of video games in song form. The last 8 or so videos however have more or less all said "get off your ass stop playing video games and live a real life." I don't think she even plays these games much anymore. The entire Halo reach song was based off a speech by Nelson Mandella.

Video games just seems out of her element. She's a hippie bohemian, a free spirit who likes being outside and swimming in streams... Rebecca... if you don't like video games... just move on. You're a ridiculously talented song writer. Just put out your own album inspired by your own words. You don't need this anymore.
No, you aren't. I've simply stopped watching hers but I had to see if her SC2 vid was as generic as the rest.

Promising start, but then went back to her usual "hippie banjo" strumming style.

Still, the "Spreadsheet" line was funny and I must know what the heck that random person making a speech was in the middle (cannot Google it).

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
themerrygambit said:
Don't get me wrong I think That all of Rebecca's songs are impeccably good. She has an amazing voice and she is a wonderful lyricist. I just think she's lost her passion for video games as a medium/muse for her songs. I mean I could be completely wrong and she might love it. I'm just noticing a big difference from her earlier song reviews in comparison to her latter ones.

Her first song reviews were laced with lyrics which cleverly pointed out aspects or criticisms of games. One in particular that I like in this regard is her review of the reboot of Bionic Commando. Her lyrics referred to the game's repetitive and linear nature. You can actually compare her song to the Zero Punctuation review of the game and see that they both had similar criticisms of the game.

In the Halo Reach review I didn't see any references to the game at all. The main message of the song seemed to be using the game as a way to tell us to stop using a video game character in order to feel heroic and instead be heroic in our real lives. It's an inspiring message but seems kind of anti-video game in a way.

Today's video kind of poked fun at the idea of people holed up in their homes playing star craft all day.

I mean I could be simply crazy and sniffing too much glue but try looking at her recent songs/videos again with that kind of attitude in mind... maybe you'll see what I'm talking about.

Again I in no way was trying to insult Rebecca in any way. I think she's immensely talented. I just think she might be losing her passion for making songs about video games. Singers and song writers need to write songs about things they are passionate about, and when you're not all that into a video game I imagine it's quite hard and one might try to make the song about something they feel is more meaningful... just sayin.

Anyway I wish you all well and thanks for calling me out on sounding Trollish... it wasn't my intention.
I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this trend, but meh. As Yantzee has said "don't do your job and you'll eventually lose it".

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
YoUnG205 said:
Good song! I prefered the Halo reach one.
Also I don't know why but it remined me of the Gorillaz song Monkey Mountain.
...Monkey Mountain?
...oh you mean "Fire Comes Out Of The Monkey's Head [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcFZWa8zH2w]"... right?

OT: nice song I haven't listened to a lot of your stuff but I'm starting to...

Badger Kyre

Aug 25, 2010
So, I am wondering if there will be a song that doesn't say in so many words that playing games is a waste of one's life.
Music, i suppose, is a worthy, artistic endeavor, and free of any such taint.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
I like it, I'm no critic but I always find Rebecca's stuff creative and meaningful. It may be unusual and artsy but I like it the more for that I think.

Cristian Capatana said:
themerrygambit said:
You're a ridiculously talented song writer. .
I kinda believe the opposite, I wouldn't hire her to write radio jingles. Don't take my word for it, just wait a bit, real talent always gets recognised and in won't be the case here.
Just had to say to counterbalance the enormity of your statement.
There is talent and there is talent, there is the hollow worthless kind which is popular and gets in the pop charts, then there is the deep and artistic kind that sinks without a trace.
Not that i'm making any particular comment about Rebecca, i'm just pointing out that popular conceptions of success aren't the be all and end all of an artistic media.

Pills_Here

Dec 10, 2009
From what little I've played of SC2 I think the chorus is apt. A revolver, a bottle of bourbon and a cheesy one liner.

YoUnG205

Ugh!...
Oct 13, 2009
Sacman said:
YoUnG205 said:
Good song! I prefered the Halo reach one.
Also I don't know why but it remined me of the Gorillaz song Monkey Mountain.
...Monkey Mountain?
...oh you mean "Fire Comes Out Of The Monkey's Head [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcFZWa8zH2w]"... right?

OT: nice song I haven't listened to a lot of your stuff but I'm starting to...
Ye thats the one sorry, not really a big Gorillaz fan.