Rebecca Mayes Muses: Starcraft 2

neograpeshot

Feb 9, 2010
themerrygambit said:
[...] I just think she's lost her passion for video games as a medium/muse for her songs. I mean I could be completely wrong and she might love it. I'm just noticing a big difference from her earlier song reviews in comparison to her latter ones.
[...]
In the Halo Reach review I didn't see any references to the game at all. The main message of the song seemed to be using the game as a way to tell us to stop using a video game character in order to feel heroic and instead be heroic in our real lives. It's an inspiring message but seems kind of anti-video game in a way.

Today's video kind of poked fun at the idea of people holed up in their homes playing star craft all day.

I mean I could be simply crazy and sniffing too much glue but try looking at her recent songs/videos again with that kind of attitude in mind... maybe you'll see what I'm talking about.

Again I in no way was trying to insult Rebecca in any way. I think she's immensely talented. I just think she might be losing her passion for making songs about video games. Singers and song writers need to write songs about things they are passionate about, and when you're not all that into a video game I imagine it's quite hard and one might try to make the song about something they feel is more meaningful... just sayin.

Anyway I wish you all well and thanks for calling me out on sounding Trollish... it wasn't my intention.
You aren't the only one that's noticed this. I agree entirely. Her lyrics lately seem to be more aimed at criticizing the gamers than the games.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
While not particularly interested in the game itself (not a hater, but could take it or leave it), I think you've recaptured your groove. Rebecca: this one's a hit after a few bombs. :)

Daden

Jun 17, 2010
As a couple of others have stated, it feels more and more like Rebecca Mayes genuinely dislikes gaming in and of itself. It's not the same good-natured fun as when, say, Yahtzee rags on the Total War games for being "glorified spreadsheets." There is a palpable disdain for gamer culture in Rebecca's songs that becomes evident the more one watches.

As for her writing and singing, I'm not sure what people seem to be raving about. I'm actually a big Indie fan, and her style falls squarely in the generic category for me. She's pretty, though, so maybe that's part of the infatuation.

At any rate, I'm not sure if Rebecca Mayes Muses is something the Escapist should continue to run. I won't be watching again.

kanarctic

Jul 11, 2010
Very nice,

I think many people who watch these take them far too seriously based on the comments.

They're meant to be fun and light-hearted, not a dissertation on gaming lifestyle.
Fans are so much worse than critics... just enjoy it for what its meant to be guys.

If you listen and watch, that means you like it.

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
I loved the song, too bad a lot of people here and on /r/StarCraft seem to hate it. What? Don't you people like girls?
Who cares if she's not a gamer or not, she writes damn catchy songs. I love StarCraft II and couldn't care less about the fact that she called it a spreadsheet. I still love the song and the game. Hell, if she'd written a song saying how much StarCraft II sucked I still would have loved it because it's a joke, as in, not meant to offend anyone. If you're offended by the fact that Rebecca isn't a 'real' gamer or that she criticises games you like or by the fact that she's a female, then turn off your computer, unplug your consoles and take a walk outside.

Skep

Jan 30, 2010
As always it was basically the same song you've done for the past hundred years and it had practically nothing to do with the game. How long are you going to keep this up?

solbadguy37

Sep 27, 2010
ezeroast said:
all her songs seem to sound the same to me.
i have to agree... i tried to watch this and find a "favorite" but her songs lack originality and too much "unrelated chorus"

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Heh, I know some people don't like her stuff and think she's repetitive, but in the end... She's not exactly claiming to be a music icon, and she's probably the best in the field of game-reviewing female musicians. Just sayin'

Plus I've heard all of her songs, and I think there's a fair amount of variation. This and her Reach song are two of my favourites, and they are quite different. Then again, I'm far from what you would call a music connoisseur.

killswell

Aug 26, 2010
i wouldn't listen to it on the radio.. maybe it's just not my kind of music. I think I could do better.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
So it's not enough that you have the stupid website background for the game, and the flash ads for it, but you have to have the pre-video ad playing too. Do advertisers really think that I'm going to buy a game after saturating me with it to the point that it makes me want to vomit and actively boycott it?

Oh yeah, good song.

wandererbkb

May 15, 2010
I think this may have been the last song she does here. Another was mentioned on her blog for release on christmas eve but they took down the banner here so I'm not sure. Hopefully there will be one more but who knows.