Rebecca Mayes Muses: The Mirror

skyfire_freckles

Jan 30, 2008
dududf said:
skyfire_freckles said:
page saving snip
I think I need to clarify.

I want people to look like they don't normally do, to have a wide diversity INCLUDING what we have. People in certain groups don't always be that diverse, and I'd LIKE it to be different from what I see everyday.
Much better. Thank you for the clarification. It would be awesome if in a game there were people of radically different height, weight, hair color, everything. A variety of characters that not only includes everything that people are, everything people could be, and then busts the hell out of the extremes.

skyfire_freckles

Jan 30, 2008
RetroVortex said:
But seriously, I hate standardisation. People are alway telling me I should slim down, because I'm fat, and I know, I'd be a hell of a lot more attractive if I was slim, but then I'd be more like that posing douchebag that is my older brother!
I'm sure this isn't what you meant, but you don't have to be anything just to be different from your older brother. I did that (my older sister), and it took me years to realize that doing anything just to be different from my sister was pretty much the same as doing anything to be just like her.

Stay the way you are or change, but do it because that's what you want, not because of what someone else thinks.

baconfist

Sep 8, 2009
You know a lot of the reason video games have limited body types comes down to costs and time, not some evil plot to make everyone the same. Multiple body types would increase development time but more importantly especially in todays gaming industry, there would be an increase in storage space needed. With graphics in such apparent high demand, a lot of cd space goes to textures instead story length or body type diversity, and if you as a developer have to cut something to make your game fit on a disc would it be better to cut attractive or less attractive aspects?

awatkins

Oct 17, 2008
luvd1 said:
Good song miss Mayes, and nver a truer word. Saddly I feel that the average character in games has been long forgoten in dev/publishers obssesion with making games "cinematic" instead of imaginative. I say dump space marine 4,920,890,569,0....(you get the point) and bring back games about future dustmen having to clean planets from man eating rubbish and gangs of super intelligent rats......Hay, that's a great idea for a game. HANDS OFF!!!! IT'S MY IDEA!!!!!
That has already been made. Its called Vector Man, it was for the Sega Genesis haha, back in the day when your character actually had hit points and lives and real "piss you off 'cause you died at the second last level" game overs!
PS; I dont think there were any rats in Vector Man, just gangs of rubbish.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
My favorite so far. At first I wondered what the game was, but I really liked the theme of this song.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Hey, I usually aren't the biggest fan of your songs,
But this one was above the curve, (much better)
I may have to start listening again :)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Nice song, and interesting message, however I'm not quite sure if I agree with what your getting at.

To put things bluntly video games are generally about exceptional and fantastic situations. As a result people involved in them as heroic protaganists are going to represent specimins of humanity capable of dealing with those situations. To put things into perspective some fat boy, is not going to be able to run and gun terrorists and such. A special ops guy though is liable to be EXTREMELY fit, and in general fit people tend to be rather handsome at least on some level.

This is not to say that an "everyman" protaganist can't work, it can and has been done occasionally, especially in adventure games and the like. However such stands out by being an exception to the rule, and typically requires a plotline written specifically around it. Such characters also tend not to remain the everyman after a certain point as they adapt to whatever they are doing. For example your rotund dude is going to stop being rotund when he spends six months in a jungle fighting zombies or aliens or whatever... assuming he survives of course.

Not to mention the whole issue of escapism, while you might disagree personally (and let's be honest, your cute and talented) most people want to get away from reality to an extent, and that's the entire point of the idealized forms and situations.

I notice a lot of pics of Dead Or Alive Volleyball games, I could write a ton on the DoA girls alone (from a number of perspectives related to this), but consider also that the premise typically involves them being invited to that island because they are world class babes. I doubt it would be as entertaining or sell as well if someone was to make a game about inviting a bunch of fatties and skinny nerds to an island.

Well at least not entertaining the same way, I suppose you could make a humor game out of a weight loss/health island with all of these ridiculously overweight and skinny/weak people trying to work out and failing. Cruel yes, but to quote "The Hangover", "It's funny because he's fat!". Of course as a fatty myself today, I admit I feel more shame than I should over such things and finding them funny... though I can still appreciate self-depreciating humor.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
awatkins said:
luvd1 said:
Good song miss Mayes, and nver a truer word. Saddly I feel that the average character in games has been long forgoten in dev/publishers obssesion with making games "cinematic" instead of imaginative. I say dump space marine 4,920,890,569,0....(you get the point) and bring back games about future dustmen having to clean planets from man eating rubbish and gangs of super intelligent rats......Hay, that's a great idea for a game. HANDS OFF!!!! IT'S MY IDEA!!!!!
That has already been made. Its called Vector Man, it was for the Sega Genesis haha, back in the day when your character actually had hit points and lives and real "piss you off 'cause you died at the second last level" game overs!
PS; I dont think there were any rats in Vector Man, just gangs of rubbish.
Blast! I knew it sounded familiar. Still, they should make games with true imagination like they used to in de olden days.

ManStapler

Jul 13, 2009
I like how videos contain footage of games, but there's always one thing that bugs me. They never add a list of games used, I always see something I even forgotten about, or wanted to try, or simply didn't know the name of, and end up not knowing the game any way, just having a short teaser.

But this is more of a rant, as most of those games I knew I didn't like or couldn't play. I just hate that in general.

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
that was a great song. super true and all that too. kinda hits home for a lot of people i imagine and it got my emotions a little in a tiff as well

Jacob Texeira

Mar 22, 2010
This song just sucked this lurker in.

I've spent two years playing various orc characters in World of Warcraft, making some peace with all the ugly virtual creatures I've killed in my years. Too bad I quit, or I could've posted this song on their official forums. (Any non-belf Hordies out there? Spread the music!)

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
Hey rebecca, check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxYNUu_2egM&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=747F0A378BC181C7

Real people doing real happy dances!