Rebecca Mayes Muses: Wet

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
While everyone comments on her reviews, I like to comment on her musical ability.
A new trend I'm seeing is her chorus's are pretty damn good.
When it comes to this style, I'll repeat what I've said before. These would be a lot more enjoyable if the lyrics were more generalized and not talking about exact points on the game (Which is why I like the chorus's so much, because they are).

This, obviously, is just an opinion and it's her 'thing' to "review" while singing, but it just sounds awkward most of the time.

Ultimacy

Dec 8, 2009
Oh hey, it's the same damn song AGAIN, and it doesn't have anything to do with the game AGAIN.
What is the point of these besides being some sort of weird vanity project?

And yes, I registered just to post that.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Its good to hear the sweet voice of Miss Rebecca Mayes again // Fun video and great song

Didnt I hear that all the Escapist music was goin to be put up on itunes?!

-M

Zand88

Jan 21, 2009
I guess they have to leave these videos on the front page for a while, otherwise, no one would notice or comment.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
stinkychops said:
Joa_Belgium said:
You couldn't have been clearer. It's a pretty mediocre game, although I did like the song as usual. It had this nice traditional country touch to it. Loved the fact that the guy acting alongside you was using a banana as an improvised gun!

By the way: what did you say during the credits when your mate was down? It sounded pretty hilarious!
How many of these videos have you been first in, because it feels like these are the only thing I ever see you in. Plus with the whole name in the title, bit strange?

Personally I liked some of your other stuff better, which is strange because most of it sounds the same and you rarely use new/interesting words or go into any detail.
Well, it did take long before someone noticed and posted about it. So it's fair enough I replied to your question.

I've been following Rebecca's stuff since April of this year. When I heard she got her big chance at The Escapist, I tried to get a bit more active on the forum. But as it happens, I don't always have a lot of spare time. So I've been hanging back, trying to limit myself to watching the series here on The Escapist and commenting on Rebecca's videos.

As for my activity of being first on these videos: it's pretty clear that a new song review of her always appears every two weeks on Friday at 5:00 PM (GMT) sharpish. So I mostly try to be behind my laptop at that hour to cover her stuff at our own website, called Gamevault. We even have a separate page where all her songs are kept together: http://www.gamevault.be/gamefiche/rebecca-mayes

Why? Simple: Original. Content. Deserves. Attention. It's creative, it's alternative, it's awesome. It deserves to be in the spotlight. When someone comes up with something like this, I feel it needs all the publicity it can get. I, myself, have been very fortunate to get into the professional gaming industry. I've been an editor since August 2005 and I realise that I wouldn't have gotten where I am now without a lot of support.

Half of the members here will probably disagree with me, but I feel that Rebecca breaks loose from the usual pop genre that's everywhere on television and the radio, these days. When something is as daring, as original as this, it deserves all the help and support I can offer. So yes, I am a big supporter of her work and I hope she'll go on with her music for years to come.

That being said: what's wrong with my username?

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
stinkychops said:
Joa_Belgium said:
Cool, I can appreciate that. And I can sympathise with wanting to support what you like, its not my cup of tea but I wouldn't call it unoriginal.

With your username thing, I always felt that the Escapist was a place for free expression and that by having a sorta facebook openess your open to attack. I also never trust people who are forthcoming on the internet.

I meant no disrespect but thought it was worth pointing out.
I wanted to simply choose "Joa" as my username when I registered all those months ago, because Joa is simply an abbreviation of my full first name: Joachim. But apparently: someone already had that specific username, so I just added my country. I already had that specific username as well on Twitter, it would only complicate it all if I started adding my birth year or something similar.

Be assured, I didn't take it offensively. Sooner or later someone was bound to ask me about it all.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Not managing to generate any rhyme or rhythm? No denying the musical talent, but the syllabic rhythm is all over the place, and where you try to make a rhyme, it doesn't really work...

Sepuku_LV

Feb 27, 2009
Valvet assasins song still unbeaten (in my opinion). But anyways - Rebecca, you are a gaming Angel with sad eyes.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
Joa_Belgium said:
By the way: what did you say during the credits when your mate was down? It sounded pretty hilarious!

"Deaddddd"

----------
Blog bloggie blog my blog http://www.gamepeople.co.uk/rebeccamayes_blog.htm

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
Rebecca Mayes said:
Joa_Belgium said:

"Deaddddd"

----------
Okay, thanks for clearing that up! I've been wondering what it was, but someone else in this topic already hinted it was something similar.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Joa_Belgium said:
Rebecca Mayes said:
Joa_Belgium said:

"Deaddddd"

----------
Okay, thanks for clearing that up! I've been wondering what it was, but someone else in this topic already hinted it was something similar.
t'was me! : )

FleaJr

Sep 17, 2008
No matter how many episodes I watch of this series, I still can't get over these two facts:

1. The songs have no discernible theme or melody, I'm a musician and I still find it a confusing under-emphasised series of melancholy chords.

2. Quite how exploitative this series is of all the lonely gamers on the internet who would just love to 'go out with' a girl-gamer.

It just saddens me to hear perfectly rational people throwing out undeserved compliments because somewhere in the back of their minds, they think it's going to get them some.

Jeez i could right an article denouncing the deification of the girly-nerdy-gamer-chick fantasy.
It would star Felicia Day and The Escapist would never host it.

On a brighter note:
Rebecca Mayes is usually right about the games she reviews.
Consider writing it down instead of droning it at me.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
FleaJr said:
No matter how many episodes I watch of this series, I still can't get over these two facts:

1. The songs have no discernible theme or melody, I'm a musician and I still find it a confusing under-emphasised series of melancholy chords.

2. Quite how exploitative this series is of all the lonely gamers on the internet who would just love to 'go out with' a girl-gamer.

It just saddens me to hear perfectly rational people throwing out undeserved compliments because somewhere in the back of their minds, they think it's going to get them some.

Jeez i could right an article denouncing the deification of the girly-nerdy-gamer-chick fantasy.
It would star Felicia Day and The Escapist would never host it.

On a brighter note:
Rebecca Mayes is usually right about the games she reviews.
Consider writing it down instead of droning it at me.
Why is it that people always assume that just because someone likes the music and the idea of a singing critic, be it a male or a female, he/she (who knows ...) is out for more?

Really. In your eyes it may be an undeserved compliment to praise someone's work, because it isn't your cup of tea. But it happens to be my cup of tea.

So I take it you're filing me under that same category?

FleaJr

Sep 17, 2008
Joa_Belgium said:
Why is it that people always assume that just because someone likes the music and the idea of a singing critic, be it a male or a female, he/she (who knows ...) is out for more?

This wasn't really meant to be a knock at the individuals who like this stuff, more at the fact that the gender of the person in question is played up so much, but if you want I'll go there.

The fact is that whether they realise it or not, somewhere in the mind of 'many' (I wouldn't be stupid enough to say all) viewers of this show will be swayed by the fact that there's a pretty girl making noises instead of a fat man.

I've said it once and i'll say it again, there are many different people in the world, who like many types of music, yet there still remain music critics in the world. Why? because there is still quantity to what is 'good' music. it doesn't just come down to 'who likes what'

There is good music in most genres, but many people mistake 'music of the genre I like' for 'good music'

You're comment raised a lot of questions, I've tried to answer most of them as best I can

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
FleaJr said:
Joa_Belgium said:

This wasn't really meant to be a knock at the individuals who like this stuff, more at the fact that the gender of the person in question is played up so much, but if you want I'll go there.

The fact is that whether they realise it or not, somewhere in the mind of 'many' (I wouldn't be stupid enough to say all) viewers of this show will be swayed by the fact that there's a pretty girl making noises instead of a fat man.

I've said it once and i'll say it again, there are many different people in the world, who like many types of music, yet there still remain music critics in the world. Why? because there is still quantity to what is 'good' music. it doesn't just come down to 'who likes what'

There is good music in most genres, but many people mistake 'music of the genre I like' for 'good music'

You're comment raised a lot of questions, I've tried to answer most of them as best I can
Of course, the gender of the critic will always play a certain roll. But my point is that there is always an audience that genuinely loves the music. As I said before in a different reaction: it's alternative and the subtle touches in the melodies define it as being different and kind of mellow. Which I have no problem with at all, on the contrary.

I don't see how my comment raises questions. It's simply a fact that generalizing an audience just doesn't add much to the discussion.