Rebellion Sues Over Rebellion

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Wow...the fact that a game that is know as "Rebellion" has caused Rebellion studies "substantial harm"? Some dork on youtube getting things confused was THAT detrimental to Rebellion's business? I can only imagine they have further evidence of this harm....but it just seems laughable to me.

Like the dumb ***** who is now suing the Dallas Cowboys because she sat in the stands at their training camp and the black marble seat in 100 degree weather was - of course - considerablly hot. She now has 3rd degree burns on her ass and is suing them because "There weren't any signs that the seat could be hot!"

That's right folks, if you're someplace with some way to hurt yourself in a ridiculous/stupid way and there's no signs posted that say "Don't be a fucking dumbass" you can sue and get paid. That's the only true lesson in life. :p

chimeracreator

Jun 15, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
You know, I couldn't find a live Trademark on behalf of Rebellion in the TESS search via the US Patent and Trademark Office. I could be wrong and I could have missed it, but I searched under various permutations they have called themselves and found none.
I'm fairly sure this is the filing http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4010:eelmon.2.1. It lists the owner as Jason Kingsley who I believe is the president of Rebellion Studios.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
This is so fuckin' retarded. How can someone patent words. It's the name of the game, not the name of the company. There's no chance in hell they win the case.
It's equally retarded that such cases actually make it to court.

If I could make such calls, I'd present them with a different word: 'door'. Followed by the advice to make use of it. Maybe add in a fine for holding the court in contempt.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
chimeracreator said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
You know, I couldn't find a live Trademark on behalf of Rebellion in the TESS search via the US Patent and Trademark Office. I could be wrong and I could have missed it, but I searched under various permutations they have called themselves and found none.
I'm fairly sure this is the filing http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4010:eelmon.2.1. It lists the owner as Jason Kingsley who I believe is the president of Rebellion Studios.
That session expired (an annoying feature of TESS), but I found the one you're talking about, I think. It lists Kingsley.

Their filing is pretty broad, and I'm not sure it'd hold up under court. The word "rebellion" is too common to hold much water as a damage to their mark. I'm pretty sure a court would rule against them because of the generic nature.

chimeracreator

Jun 15, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Their filing is pretty broad, and I'm not sure it'd hold up under court. The word "rebellion" is too common to hold much water as a damage to their mark. I'm pretty sure a court would rule against them because of the generic nature.
True, but because it has been on the books for long enough without being challenged (that I know of) it might need to go to court simply to prove that the mark is overly generic. As such I don't think a dismissal is that likely, but a victory in court is a near certainty provided a decent attorney and sufficient funding.

That said they MIGHT have a shot getting it dismissed arguing that Rebellion is not the primary component of the game that is being sold thus there is no likelihood of confusion and that the filed trademark would not apply, but I can't say that I'm well enough versed in trademark law to comment on that.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Ugh, this is Tim Langdell all over again.

The copyright laws need some serious revision. You can't just claim ownage of a part of the english language, or any language, period.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
Unless they intend to start suing for control of a word, I don't think they're going to get very far; Apple tried to sue for exclusive use of the word 'pod' in trademark, but the problem is, that's still part of the English language. I confess I don't know copyright and trademark law in full, but I'm pretty sure that common dictionary words can't be trademarked this way under law because of their ubiquity. That's why Hasbro had to stick "Autobot" in front of Hound, Jazz, and Tracks to actually get anywhere with them; they would be considered too generic to hold on to otherwise.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
I fail to see how people becoming confused and thinking that your studio made an awesome game that it didn't constitutes damages.

Seriously, this is the name of their studio not another game. If two games have similar names I can kind of see the point. But this? This just sounds moronic.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
So, if Rebellion (the studio) wins this, does that mean LucasArts can sue them for infringing on the trademark of their Star Wars: Rebellion game?

Edit: Assuming it has a trademark still active... Did a quick search and didn't see it, but quick search means I skimmed through the place and clicked on a couple links.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I had to look up this company to know who they were.

O, look, they're the retards because the PSP version of BattleFront AND the "meh, it's a rental", Neverdead...

O, WAIT!
These are they folks that made ROUGE SOLIDER.
Wow...um...they're still in business?
Even HAZE was better then that PoS of a game.

TheEndlessGrey

Sep 28, 2009
How can a YouTube comment possibly be considered evidence for confusion among customers? At least half the comments on any YouTube video are so idiotic the only way I can deal with it is by assuming YouTube is the training grounds for trolls who aren't yet ready for the big leagues.

chimeracreator

Jun 15, 2009
Two-A said:
The copyright laws need some serious revision. You can't just claim ownage of a part of the english language, or any language, period.
This has nothing to do with copyright law. A quick refresher: there are 3 major kinds of intellectual property law regarding public works (thus excluding trade secrets).

Patents: These protect functional works and discovers for a limited amount of time, but require that the work be disclosed to the public so it can be used elsewhere once the patent expires. These last 20 years in the US.

Trade Marks: These protect the marks and names used to identify distinct businesses and products to help consumers by avoiding confusion. A trade mark remains active as long as it is used, but it's scope of protection can vary widely depending on how well known the mark is and how unique it is. A trade mark is ALWAYS allowed to be used when showing a product as itself in the media. Trade marks cannot include anything functional.

Copyright: These protect creative works for a limited time that is far far too long and the Supreme Court has ruled can be extended and for new corporate works extends for over a century while works made by a person are protected for Life + 70 years. Copyright can never cover functional components of a work as such an invention is never protected by copyright. However a specific piece of code can be as it is considered a literary work. Thus a computer game, which is functional, is protected by copyright law.

However for generic games without a plot you could still legally recreate a game with the exact same mechanics because copyright can't protect these and original artwork as long as you coded it yourself and your code was inherently different from the original and created without you reverse engineering it.

So once again, the major issues with copyright law have nothing to do with this trademark issue. While it is clear that copyright law is all kinds of messed up right now, trademark law is still mostly sound as the Internet really hasn't done much to change the dynamics of trademarks. If anything it has made them work better as unique trademarks lend themselves Internet searches.

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
Rebellion should give The Escapist money for wasting their time writing an article about something so gobsmackingly stupid.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
I love how one can actually sue a company for using a word that confuses stupid customers. Reminds me of those interviews with people standing in line for PS3s when they released and people were going to get the hot new game "Residence" (Resistance dammit!). Darwin must have gotten something wrong or overlooked the human stupidity factor.

captcha: "check your coat" I haven't worn a coat in years I don't even know where any of mine are....

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
If they win this one, I'd say Lucasfilm has a good chance of taking 'em both down over a certain galaxy-wide war in a certain world-famous property.

So yeah, fuck Rebellion Developments. Obvious patent trolls are obvious.