Reboot you say?

all the tramps

Feb 22, 2009
so the next few years looks like a good time for reboots, with the biggest announced in my opinion so farr are the new spider man, x-men first class, superman and as the escapist has just posted there may even be a highlander reboot! so the question im asking here is, what movies in your opinion deserve a reboot and why? and if you know of any more movies getting a new jolt of life please post :)

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
It's not a movie, but Reboot the TV show should have a Reboot. That was a great show.

Binerexis

Dec 11, 2009
No films ever deserve a reboot. Some, rare reboots are very well done (like the recent batman films) but others are blatant cash-ins and/or just don't need to be made.

Lord Devius

Aug 5, 2010
Marowit said:
It's not a movie, but Reboot the TV show should have a Reboot. That was a great show.
...That is the sole reason I came to this thread. Thought this thread was about it. *sigh*

I wouldn't call it a reboot, but I'd like to see Star Wars' prequel trilogy remade... with... well, more quality.

There needs to be a prequel trilogy, it just needs to be done without Jar Jar and Hayden Christiansen.

...well, it'd take more than that. There's some good ideas in there, but eeh, not pulled off too well.

Fumbles

Apr 15, 2009
Binerexis said:
No films ever deserve a reboot. Some, rare reboots are very well done (like the recent batman films) but others are blatant cash-ins and/or just don't need to be made.
While I mostly agree with you, let us take a look at the recent True Grit. It is supremely better, a reboot can be good, only if the writers/director care enough to make a good movie (which is absurdly rare)

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Easily Forgotten said:
Marowit said:
...That is the sole reason I came to this thread. Thought this thread was about it. *sigh*

I wouldn't call it a reboot, but I'd like to see Star Wars' prequel trilogy remade... with... well, more quality.

There needs to be a prequel trilogy, it just needs to be done without Jar Jar and Hayden Christiansen.

...well, it'd take more than that. There's some good ideas in there, but eeh, not pulled off too well.
You and me both, on both your point and about why we came to this thread. So instead of being disappointed about the lack of Reboot I thought I'd bring Reboot to the thread. It's all the better for it.

dibblywibbles

Mar 20, 2009
you know what movie needs a reboot? the mighty ducks. except emilio estevez still has to be in it. Flying V!

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Binerexis said:
This.

I view the Reboot as one of several things:

Reboots are for old shows/movies that are not on the air anymore/old. Typically seen as a modernization of the original.
Reboots are attempts at restarting a franchise that has gotten stale.
Reboots are attempts at trying to save a floundering franchise that never really took off.
Reboots are attempting to make money off of an established franchise, but which there is really no where to go, but to start at the beginning.

I know there are more, this is all I have at the moment...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Fumbles said:
Binerexis said:
While I mostly agree with you, let us take a look at the recent True Grit. It is supremely better, a reboot can be good, only if the writers/director care enough to make a good movie (which is absurdly rare)
First, That wasnt a reboot, as much as a remake. A reboot would be taking the... lets say The man with no name trilogy with Eastwood, and reshooting the whole trilogy. Reboots are more franchise oriented, while remakes focus on one particular movie/game/book.

Second, True Grit without The Duke is not True Grit, thus that movie automatically sucks in comparison to the original. And yes, I am basically a John Wayne fanboy...

*Edit*
Forgot to edit my last comment and add this too it, my bad...

Fumbles

Apr 15, 2009
WanderingFool said:
Fumbles said:
Binerexis said:
First, That wasnt a reboot, as much as a remake. A reboot would be taking the... lets say The man with no name trilogy with Eastwood, and reshooting the whole trilogy. Reboots are more franchise oriented, while remakes focus on one particular movie/game/book.

Second, True Grit without The Duke is not True Grit, thus that movie automatically sucks in comparison to the original. And yes, I am basically a John Wayne fanboy...

*Edit*
Forgot to edit my last comment and add this too it, my bad...
Oops yeah you're right.

However, I live in the deep south (i.e I grew up watching all of the Duke films) and I will say that Bridges just showed how basically incompetent of an actor Wayne truely was. I mean Jeff just delivered an awesome peformance.

Samething as Eastwood, He is miles better as a western actor then Wayne. Mostly because Eastwood has more of a range then the Duke.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Firefly needs a reboot. With the original cast and crew.
Just start over and put it on a good network that won't screw it all up.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Marowit said:
You know about the ReBoot movies in production, right? Granted, I'm not sure if they're in development hell or just really slow to progress, but Rainmaker Entertainment is supposed to be at work on a trilogy.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
-Zen- said:
Marowit said:
You know about the ReBoot movies in production, right? Granted, I'm not sure if they're in development hell or just really slow to progress, but Rainmaker Entertainment is supposed to be at work on a trilogy.
Interesting. It would be incredible if they could some how get the rights and place them into current-culture video games a la WoW, CoD, TF2, etc...

Ah, that'd be hoping for too much though.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
ravensheart18 said:
Crazy_Dude said:
The screenwriter for Twilight has been hired for the Highlander reboot.

http://worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=20612&count=0
This makes me cry a little. The original Hylander was one of the best movies ever made.
I bet he will sparkle in sunlight and stalk teenage girls too now.

Another franchise to the crapper.

Honestly the only decent reboot to me is The Thing. The rest just meh.

Binerexis

Dec 11, 2009
Fumbles said:
Binerexis said:
I'll be honest here, I've never even heard of True Grit before the more recent film. It could just be the country I'm in (England) but I've not actually met anyone who has seen the original let alone a big fan of it. Highlander, on the other hand, is a well known film and is held very dear by fans; the potential of disaster here is too high. It's true that Batman also has a devoted fan base but when you look at the changes it's gone through on TV film (campy, bit darker, very dark, goofy, too goofy, dark animated show, dark reboot, dark knight) they at least seem to get fair representations of the source material.

I will say that Highlander isn't that well known to people my age (mid-teens to early twenties) so maybe a Highlander reboot could do well. A remake of Total Recall, one of Arnie's well known films, just seems insane. It's not like with the recent reboot of Rocky where the story was continued with the same actor, it's going to be the same thing with modern graphics (which doesn't really matter no matter what George Lucas or James Cameron says) and with no Arnie. Putting Arnold Schwarzenegger in a film can be a bit of a gamble but taking him out of one will always make the film worse. Can you really imagine True Lies, The Terminator, Commando or Predator without Arnie? Why would you even WANT to imagine them without him?!

Shit be crazy in Hollywood.