Reboots you actually like

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Mortal Kombat was my favorite. The game had its flaws but it compressed a giant bland mess of a series and compressed it to an amazing package with solid, or dare I say great, fighting mechanics and a decent story mode (which they HAD to muck up at the very end).

The Wykydtron said:
Truly a delightful exchange, a masterclass of video game writing. Dante had bad jokes that were still somewhat funny because they were cheesy whereas Dontay just swears a lot and makes bad pop culture references. Hey I never said the reboot was perfect.
Surely this will change your mind about that one scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPKHxbOg19s

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Nieroshai said:
joest01 said:
Nieroshai said:
joest01 said:
Nieroshai said:
joest01 said:
Agree on DmC. Combat was very well thought out. Not super challenging but almost puzzle like in how you needed to string together attacks to get past certain combinations of enemies.

But the number one re-imagining is of course ....

Metroid Prime!
I do, of course, hope you're kidding.
Not kidding on either account. Why?
Metroid Prime is a sequel to Metroid for the NES and a prequel to Metroid II: Return of Samus. Most chronologies claim that all 3 Prime games are sequentially before MII, but in Prime Zebes still exists and in Prime 2 it does not, which means either Retro goofed or Prime 2 and 3 happen after Super Metroid.

I've just never heard Prime called a reimagining before.
Yeah, very much my bad. I guess I struggle with the term reboot. To me taking Metroid into first person was huge. And hugely successful too.

Compare that with Castlevania, which I guess was a proper reboot? They worked in some of the staples of the series. Dracula, the whip :) But they missed the essence of it somehow.

Metroid Prime hit it on the head.
I wish Retro or at least anyone other than Team Ninja had gotten the Other M project. Metroid can still be resuscitated, but so many fans don't believe it.
How did you feel about Lords of Shadow? A lot of people are split on it; I enjoyed it, but then again I only played Symphony of the Night prior so I have little to compare.
I have never played Other M and don't really plan to. And I am a big Metroid as well as Ninja Gaiden Fan. So go figure...
(Devil's Third however is looking good :)

Re:LoS, I think it is a different approach altogether. You see, with Prime, Retro tried to recreate the Metroid experience in 3D. All the pieces are there. With LoS it seems like capcom tried to transport he overall idea of Castlevania into another genre. GoW variant hack n slash. And as you can tell from the mix up above, I am more about the gameplay than the story. Which I think they did a great job with the setting and the voice acting etc. And even created a decent h'n's game. But, to me at least, not truly a Castlevania game.

That's my 2c.

p.s. Yahtzee mentions RE4 as a good reboot in this weeks extra punc. I can agree with that.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Games:
- Tomb Raider
- Doom 3

Not much to say about these other than they are my favorite entries in their respective franchises that I have personally played. That said, I'm never been a big fan of either franchise to begin with and as such did not play every entry leading up to their release.

Movies:
- The Amazing Spider-Man (sorry movie Bob...I genuinely prefer that movie to the original trilogy). Haven't seen the second one though as I don't watch movies in theaters. Even if it is as terrible as people say, the first one was really good.
- Rob Zombie's Halloween (This isn't better than the original but it was still good)
- Ocean's Eleven (All around entertaining)
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Took a movie where I had zero expectations and made something great out of it)
- Dredd (I love the original in for it's cheesy campiness. This one is just plain awesome though)
- Star Trek (Far better than the ultra slow paced original motion picture)

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Shadow Warrior 2013 was a great reboot. Far superior to the original game in my opinion. Rise of the Triad 2013 was also pretty cool. And Mortal Kombat 2011 is one of the best fighting games ever.
Chester Rabbit said:
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Meriatressia said:
In games
Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
I did'nt play the other games. But DE:HR is probabley a reboot more than a prequal.
No it isn't. It's not a reboot, it's a prequel. There are tons upon tons of continuity nods towards the original game. It has freaking Bob Page in the intro and remember the post-credits scene.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Movies: Planet of the apes, there are some other great reboots like dark knight and such, but planet of the apes brought a good story and emotionality like no other.

Game: Xcom, I've never played the original so it's not saying much but I really enjoyed the game even as a first timer.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
A few random mentions:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - God damn. What a great reboot this is. Having played the original X-COM and Terror from the Deep a few months before it's release, and enjoying them greatly, I had a good grasp on the originals and I was very curious to see how the new XCOM would match up against the old.

It really exceeded my expectations. Although it got rid of a lot of the depth and freedom of the original game, and yes I do miss being able to dress a guy up head-to-toe in high explosive bombs, or manually aim my heavy plasmas at every wall in sight, the loss of clutter and simplified combat worked out great. A fine example of streamlining done right. The game did a fantastic job of providing the right amount of challenge for anyone, whereas the originals were all-around ballbusters (FUCK trawler missions in TFTD). Players seeking a good time can tackle the game on Easy or Normal. Whereas masochists can dive into Ironman Impossible, plus a slew of Second Wave options to further fine tune challenge in any difficulty level. A damn good job all-around (Except for the bugs.)

Resident Evil 4 - Sure it's technically a sequel, but it really is more of a reboot. Even Capcom and Shinji Mikami at the time were calling it so. And it truly is. Not only is the entire gameplay restructured, it focuses around an entirely new enemy and begins a new saga. It is a reboot. And it will go down in history as probably one of the best games ever made. The story, dialogue, and characters might reek of ass. But dat gameplay. It refined and practically gave rise to an entirely new genre. And is one of the few games I come back to, year after year, and replay beginning to end every time. Enjoying it all the same each time.

Mortal Kombat 2011 - I used to love the MK series when I played it on SNES and arkades. But fell out of it after MK4. The transition to 3d just did something to the game that I kouldn't put my finger on, but my interest in it waned greatly and I just didn't bother playing MK ever again. Until MK9 came out.

3D animated, but 2d gameplay? That sounded great. But I kouldn't imagine just how much more there was to it until I played it. The new kombo system with a meter that allows for enhancing moves, further improving kombos, breaking kombos, or unleashing hilariously graphic X-Ray moves. The best presented story mode I've ever seen in any fighting game. And the bloodiest most over-the-top fatalities I've ever seen. They did it! They returned a series that was dead in the water for me, as one of my most favorite fighting games ever. Oh man, I kan't wait for MKX.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
XCOM is quite the lucky franchise.

They get the reboot (Enemy Unknown), they get the spiritual sequel (Xenonauts, I don't really care about it not being 'officially' X-Com), and the originals are still fairly easy to obtain with open source ports for bug-fixins.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
I recently finished DmC: Devil May Cry and it's one of the best games I've played this generation. The same can be said of Tomb Raider, which eliminated any reason at all for Uncharted to exist, and Mortal Kombat, which took the crown of fighting games away from Capcom while the latter was too busy embarrassing itself with some of the worst fighting games ever. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was all right, though.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Raika said:
The same can be said of Tomb Raider, which eliminated any reason at all for Uncharted to exist
The second sentence is enough proof that you never touched one of the Uncharted games. Besides a bit of the tacked on little freeroam hubs there is nothing that TR does better. Even if i liked the reboot, Uncharted still beats TR easily.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is by far the best reboot I've played. It completely redefined the series and remains perhaps the most fondly remembered title to bear the "Prince of Persia" name to this day.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
OldDirtyCrusty said:
You don't have the exact same opinion that I have! The only possible explanation is that you don't know anything about anything!
Whatever helps you sleep at night, ace. Making up stories won't make the stories in the Uncharted games any better.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Raika said:
OldDirtyCrusty said:
You don't have the exact same opinion that I have! The only possible explanation is that you don't know anything about anything!
Whatever helps you sleep at night, ace. Making up stories won't make the stories in the Uncharted games any better.
Oh sweety, poor little one, sure it`s all about opinions. Thinking TR did an better job compared to Uncharted is fine and i hope that you get well soon (nah, not really caring).

Nix33

Jul 5, 2014
I played through Fallout 3 56 times. I sunk over a thousand hours into it. For a while, I literally got up, played Fallout for sixteen hours, and went back to sleep. A small minority of my friends thought I actually died. It pretty much flung my life down the toilet for a period of four months. For two of those four months, I didn't shave.

Fallout 3 ruined me psychologically, socially, and physically. I give it a 10/10. Best game I ever played.

So there. Sometimes, reboots are awesome.