reccemend a good tv show

FlameAx

Feb 3, 2011
lately i've been looking around for a good tv show to watch since most big games are coming out way later , i've recently got done watching all 6 seasons of supernatural , game of thrones doctor who etc.. , right now im looking for a show that has an interesting story , plus I'd love some fantasy elements or sci fi stuff but realistic stuff is ok as long as the show itself is good.

Basically the question is are there any tv shows you've been watching recently that are good? and this isnt just for me the thread is for recemending good shows to other people here as well.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Not new, and definitely not fantasy or sci fi. But in every one of these threads I feel the need to mention The Wire. Best show I've ever seen.

More OT: perhaps you could list some shows you have seen so we don't suggest those. It seems like Firefly would fit what you're looking for, but most people around here have seen it.

beeejay

Dec 15, 2009
I dont really watch television beyond Formula1 and My Little Pony: Frendship is Magic. So err one of those I guess

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Breaking Bad is a great show you should check it out. Every season just keeps getting better.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Red Dwarf is Sci fi, though I don't know if you like comedies. Do you like comedies? Because Red Dwarf is a good comedy.

Here's one of my favourite scenes:

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Dexter is pretty darn good. One of my favourite tv series.
Breaking Bad is quite enjoyable.

As far as fantasy & co go, I found True Blood fun to watch.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
When you say you have seen Doctor Who have you also seen Torchwood? Also Prison break is a really good show as is Firefly and Dollhouse.

zephae

Aug 10, 2011
At first I thought about listing all the shows I'm currently watching right now, but I guess I'll just to be a little more specific than that. Most of these shows are either currently running or are coming back:

Breaking Bad - excellent series on AMC about a former nobel prize researcher who works as a high school chemistry teacher and finds out he has cancer. With no money to pay for the treatment and after seeing the massive amounts of money people are making off of cyrstal meth, he decides to cook the purest meth ever to finance his treatment and provide for his family should he die. It's got a 9.3/10 on imdb after 3.25 seasons and has some of the best character development I've ever seen in a TV show.

Dollhouse - Here's something for your sci fi kick. The show is about a secret organization that "imprints" people with certain personalities and traits to be bought for whatever the client desires. Everything from prostitutes, to lawyers, to super spys, to copies of dead relatives and spouses can be imprinted on to "dolls," people who have signed a contract with the company to have their brain altered to allow the process. The last few episodes of the series suck because they got canceled and just decided to cram like 4 seasons worth of content into 6 eps, but everything else is great.

Regular Show - I'd recommend this along with Adventure Time to any college-age dude. It's really strange to have a show that would normally just be about college life played out instead as a "kid's show." Here's a taste of the show from one of the creator's earlier videos

Also, you can never go wrong with the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
FlameAx said:
lately i've been looking around for a good tv show to watch since most big games are coming out way later , i've recently got done watching all 6 seasons of supernatural , game of thrones doctor who etc.. , right now im looking for a show that has an interesting story , plus I'd love some fantasy elements or sci fi stuff but realistic stuff is ok as long as the show itself is good.

Basically the question is are there any tv shows you've been watching recently that are good? and this isnt just for me the thread is for recemending good shows to other people here as well.
not fantasy at all but, "party down" Im sure youve seen the office before so imagine that show back when it was good except imagine that it was on stars so they could go absolutely insane and over the top with there story lines.

also you didnt mention this specifically so, the new season of torchwood is really good. is a trillion times better than the older seasons.

FlameAx

Feb 3, 2011
thanks for the replies , i've seen some of the shows you've reccemended ( like prison break) but dexter and breaking bad seem intresting ill give those a go

Rubashov

Jun 23, 2010
I'm assuming you enjoyed Supernatural and Doctor Who? If so, you might also like:

The Twilight Zone - Each episode is a self-contained sci-fi short story. This is one of the first true sci-fi television series and is a true classic.

The X-Files - One of the first series to adopt the formula of intermixing Twilight Zone-esque monster-of-the-week episodes with story arc episodes. It's a bit spottier than some of my other recommendations will be (some episodes were really, really bad and the series-long arc ended up making very little sense, but it featured a ton of truly excellent episodes). Watch the first four or so episodes, and if you're enjoying it by that point, keep watching.

Firefly - If you haven't watched it yet, watch it. There are only fourteen episodes, so it's not like it's a huge time commitment. Plus, it brings me to my next recommendation.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Sort of similar to the X-Files or Supernatural in its mixture of monster-of-the-week and seasonal/series-long arcs, although it's a lot more humorous (IMHO) than either of those shows. Where Buffy really shines, though, is in how it takes advantage of the serialized nature of television programs to develop its characters over the course of seven seasons. Of course, seven seasons is a big time commitment. Watch Firefly first; if you enjoy that show's writing style, watch Buffy. Be warned that it takes some time to find its feet; the first season is very campy and doesn't really encapsulate what people love about Buffy. I'd say give it until the end of the second season; if you're not enjoying it by then, it's safe to say you won't like the show.

Torchwood - You said you've watched Doctor Who? Torchwood is a Doctor Who spinoff.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I've really got into Castle lately. It's a crime drama plus Nathan Fillion being Nathan Fillion. Although saying that there isn't a single piece of bad casting in that entire show. The basic principle is a bit like Murder She Wrote, but so much cooler. Also in the vein of crime drama NCIS is pretty good.

Stargate SG-1 is really good. All 8 series of it. And only 8, no matter what anyone tells you. Stargate Atlantis is pretty cool too. They're both in the enjoyable yet slightly cheesy sci-fi category. Universe is also quite good but it's completely different to the others.

FlameAx

Feb 3, 2011
Rubashov said:
I'm assuming you enjoyed Supernatural and Doctor Who? If so, you might also like:

The Twilight Zone - Each episode is a self-contained sci-fi short story. This is one of the first true sci-fi television series and is a true classic.

The X-Files - One of the first series to adopt the formula of intermixing Twilight Zone-esque monster-of-the-week episodes with story arc episodes. It's a bit spottier than some of my other recommendations will be (some episodes were really, really bad and the series-long arc ended up making very little sense, but it featured a ton of truly excellent episodes). Watch the first four or so episodes, and if you're enjoying it by that point, keep watching.

Firefly - If you haven't watched it yet, watch it. There are only fourteen episodes, so it's not like it's a huge time commitment. Plus, it brings me to my next recommendation.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Sort of similar to the X-Files or Supernatural in its mixture of monster-of-the-week and seasonal/series-long arcs, although it's a lot more humorous (IMHO) than either of those shows. Where Buffy really shines, though, is in how it takes advantage of the serialized nature of television programs to develop its characters over the course of seven seasons. Of course, seven seasons is a big time commitment. Watch Firefly first; if you enjoy that show's writing style, watch Buffy. Be warned that it takes some time to find its feet; the first season is very campy and doesn't really encapsulate what people love about Buffy. I'd say give it until the end of the second season; if you're not enjoying it by then, it's safe to say you won't like the show.

Torchwood - You said you've watched Doctor Who? Torchwood is a Doctor Who spinoff.
thanks for the detailed reply , buffy the vampire slayer/angel I've both watched pretty much all episodes when it was still airing , torchwood i havnt seen yet , will deff checkout firefly / twilight zone

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
The Wire and Futurama are the only fiction Western TV shows I still watch. And I recommend them both, highly.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Have you tried Warehouse 13? It's a good Sci-Fi show where a group of agents go around and collect "artefacts" that have magical powers. Its a fun show, and has a light tone, but is still compelling.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I've just started watching The Sons of Anarchy and I'm loving what I'm seeing right now. Nice and raw. Definitely not geeky, but eh whatever.

Other recommendations outside of the 'geek spectrum':
- Mad Men
- Boardwalk Empire
- Californication

Recommendations inside the geeky spectrum:
- Battlestar Galactica
- Stargate SG1
- Firefly
- The Walking Dead
- Farscape
Could keep going for a bit, but that will keep you occupied.

Warlord211

May 8, 2011
I've been ninja'd but I will say them anyways.

The Walking Dead
Firefly

They are both amazing shows, especially Firefly.