Reccomend me a book

subfield

Apr 6, 2010
You called, and I have come.

The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelzany
The rest of the Song of Ice and Fire by GRRM (you only mentioned Game of Thrones).
Foundation series by Isaac Asimov
Dune by Frank Herbert (only the first)
First Law series by Joe Abercrombie (+Best Served Cold and +The Heroes)
Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss
The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
The Lord of the Rings + the Hobbit
The Aspect Emperor by R. Scott Bakker

There are many more, but everyone has to start somewhere.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
The only book I've actually finished because I haven't been made bored by it, Stan Nicholls' Orcs. It's being turned into a Graphics Novel but the series of books are brilliant!

Hinro

Dec 9, 2010
I would suggest Age of Ra, Age of Zeus and Age of Odin. They are written by James Lovegrove and are known as the Pantheon Trilogy (even though they don't seem to be related whatsoever.

Matthew24601

Oct 20, 2010
The Adamantine Palace, by Stephen Deas. Shot into the action, plots within plots, kings, queens, dragons... You name it.

dexxyoto

Mar 24, 2009
Terry Pratchett's discworld series
E nesbitt does some good fantasy if you don't mind older stuff
Jim Butcher's Dresden files (Apparently the Codex Alera stuff is good too but i've never read it)
Simon R Green's Nightside Series
Any Short story collection by P.N. Elrod (Also a great author) I love the collections because they introduce me to new authors too.
Robert Asprin's Myth Series
Harry Harrison's The Stainless Steel Rat series Sci-fi
Christopher Moore Especially the Bloodsucking fiends trilogy.
Ann McCaffrey I'm told is good but never read her stuff I confess.

Authors:
Gail Carsoin Levine
Robert Rankin
Tamora Pierce
Minister Faust
Charles De Lint
Holly Black
Mil Millington

Books:
Love Among the Walnuts
The Kingdom Keepers
Chasing Vermeer
Muddle Earth
The Good Fairies of New york
Troll Bridge
Once Upon a Marigold

In case the authors don't give me away i'm a huge fantasy geek and alos a big fan of alternate tellings of old fairy tales.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I dont know if you had "Edge Chronicles" on that list but yeah... READ THEM!!!

Mar 28, 2011
Artemis Fowl.

Think Harry Potter... but smart, very smart.

Judging from your current library. If you do not like this series of books you have permission to kick me square in the balls.

Also any by Terry Pratchett (Aimed at adults, his children's books are shit)

ShakyFiend

Jun 10, 2009
retyopy said:
Snippirty
Im gonna go ahead and say Terry Pratchett, looks like he'd be so far up your street he'll come out the other side. Also try 'Across the Nightingale floor' By Lian Hearn, first in a series about ninjas (damn cool series).

Also the rest of the mortal engines series is good if you liked the first one.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Recommend*
Isn't there a build in spell checker on the forums?...

House of Leaves was my favorite summer read. It's a bit scary though.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
I know...

Walter Moers. Select from Captain Bluebear, Rumo, The City of Dreaming Books and The Alchemaster's Apprentice.

All. Are. Fantastic.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton. One of the best Sci-Fi novels I've ever read.

Matt Oliver

Mar 15, 2011
I recommand A Civil Action by: Aaron harr, its a story about a lawyer who risks it all to tackle 2 big corporations and have them held responisble for the pollution in the aquifer in east woburn Mass. Even though its non-fiction it'd pass as a fictional story in the sense that its not a flat out life story, but a story surrounding all the people involved and it doesnt focus on one person either for the most part it focuses on the lawyer but it diverts into some of the other characters/people.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Edgar Allan Poe's short stories are often a good bet for fans of games, fantasy or sci-fi. He is one of the founders of popular fiction, often focusing on psychological horror/suspense.

eggmiester

Mar 10, 2011
retyopy said:
So, Escapists, heres the deal: I NEED NEW BOOKS. It's gotten to the point where I'm not even deciding which bokk to read, I'm deciding which book to REread. I'll read... pretty much anything, I suppose, although I do stay mainly within the realm of fiction. I don't mind historical fiction, but I find myself bored by most non-fiction books. But, y'know, whatever floats your boat. Or flies your plane. Or autopilots your UFO. Or types in the coordinates for a teleport. Whatever.

EDIT: Here's a list of all of my books.

The Harry Potter series. The Bartimaeus trilogy. Roar. The House of the Scorpion. Wringer. The boy who couldn't die. Pleasing the Ghost. Birth of a Killer. The cirque du freak series. A Child of Hitler. (That's not litterally about hitler's child, it's written by someone who was in the Nazi youth. Just so you know.) The golden udder. The series of unfortaunate events series. The Spook's Apprentice series. The absolutely true diary of a part time indian. The secrets of the immortal Nicolas flamel series. His Dark Materials series. The chickens are restless. The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness. The Looking Glass Ears series. Nation. Pump ix. Mortal Negines, book 1. The Glister. Merlin's Dragon. For the Win. The H.I.V.E. books. Darkwood. The Throne of Fire. Incarceron and Sapphique. The Pit Dragon Trilogy. Mogworld. Winter's End. Hidden Talents and True Talents. The Secret Country. Game of Thrones. Larklight series. The Thin Executioner. The Road. Dinotopia Lost. The Chronicles of Prydain. Alice in Quantum Land. Little Brother. The Airborn Trilogy. The Hundred Thousand KIngdoms. The Artemis Fowl series. No Pretty Pictures. The Cronus Chronicles. The Robe of Skulls. Fablehaven series. The Faerie Wars series. Graceling. A Short History of Nearly Everything. Triskellion. The Crispin Series. The Edge Chronicles. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series. Discordia. Lord of the Flies. Search. The Demonata. Inkheart series. Havoc. Malice. Nomansland. Dark Life. Savvy and Scumble. AND! The Skulduggery Pleasant series.

I reccomend each and every one of these books.
you have read an amazing amount of books ! fair play dude! if i had to recommend books, i'd recommend the dark tower series by stephen king. fantastic series. i'd also recommend It, also by stephen king. really scary stuff, but it can also be funny and heartwarming. it's a bit of a slog (it's over 1300 pages long) but it's a great story.It cry, which only one other novel managed to do ( the amber spyglass, if you're wondering.)

also: let the right one in and handling the undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist. great stories again: and interesting subversion's of typical fantasy creatures (vampires and zombie's, specifically.) anyway, hope you find some good boos!

slavec

Mar 27, 2009
The books by Preston & Child like Riptide and Wheel of Darkness. Great thing is that you can read them in any order. They're usually adventure/mystery novels in modern times.

The science in those books often makes no sense whatsoever, but you won't care since it's so damn entertaining.

Draitheryn

Jan 20, 2010
Stephen King - Dark Tower, It, The Stand
George R.R. Martin - A song of Ice and Fire
Chuck Palahniuk - Fight Club, Choke, Survivor (basically anything by him, and they are short too)

RaffB

Jul 22, 2008
The Dresden Files Series
Discworld Series
Nearly anything by either Micheal Chrichton or Phillip K Dick
Silence of the lambs
Fight Club
48' By James Herbert
Dark Tower Series

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
"A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R. Martin.
"The Dark Tower" by Stephen King.
"The First Law" trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. His standalones are awesome as well. Imagine George R.R. Martin without the fluff and waiting for "something to happen" across an entire book.
Anything by Howard Phillips Lovecraft.
Anything by Chuck Palahniuk.
Anything by Ray Bradbury.